HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[PIT/WSH] Vokoun's rights for a '12 seventh rounder

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-04-2012, 12:45 PM
  #51
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Yeah, seriously. I'm kind of surprised by Vokoun's choice here. I guess what happened last year made him really wary of waiting.
It's pretty clear to me. It says he had zero faith of getting a starting job next season. Might have something to do with playing poorly.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 12:48 PM
  #52
Carlzner
Who's Zed?
 
Carlzner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 10,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
It's pretty clear to me. It says he had zero faith of getting a starting job next season. Might have something to do with playing poorly.
So because of that he goes to a team that has a 27 year old cup winning goalie?

Yeah CCF, makes sense...

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 12:50 PM
  #53
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrudland2Lomakin View Post
Makes me kind of think that if you're going to move Neuvirth this off season might be the one where you can maximize his return. Now obviously this isn't exactly the preferred time to trade Neuvy, but seldom do great trade opportunities arise at opportune times.
I don't believe there's any way the Caps deal Neuvy before next trade deadline. Let Holtby show he can solidy his hold on the starter's job first. Neuvy's cheap for one more year then a RFA. No reason to make a move unless someone is offering to overpay and I can't see that.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 12:51 PM
  #54
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
So because of that he goes to a team that has a 27 year old cup winning goalie?

Yeah CCF, makes sense...
As a backup who will see parttime duty barring a major injury....How well did the Pens do again this playoffs with the MVP? Your point is pointless.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 12:56 PM
  #55
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
if trading noovy was ever a real option the caps would have kept voukon for 2 years 2 mill.

im guessing 45-50 games for holtby and 30-35 for hello kitty


I think that's how the Caps are thinking. No reason to blink so early in Neuvy's career after moving Varly.


Last edited by CapitalsCupFantasy: 06-04-2012 at 01:03 PM.
CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 01:10 PM
  #56
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 14,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
I don't believe there's any way the Caps deal Neuvy before next trade deadline. Let Holtby show he can solidy his hold on the starter's job first. Neuvy's cheap for one more year then a RFA. No reason to make a move unless someone is offering to overpay and I can't see that.
You've got the premise but not the conclusion.

Washington needs a competent goalie to either back up or tandem with Holtby. Maybe even step in as a starter. That requires trading Neuvirth because he is ****ing terrible and capable of none of that.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 01:25 PM
  #57
Carlzner
Who's Zed?
 
Carlzner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 10,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
You've got the premise but not the conclusion.

Washington needs a competent goalie to either back up or tandem with Holtby. Maybe even step in as a starter. That requires trading Neuvirth because he is ****ing terrible and capable of none of that.


Was he ****ing terrible in his rookie season? Carlson was pretty terrible too. Guess we should trade him away.

SOPHOMORE. SLUMP. IT EXISTS.

Get it through your head.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 01:30 PM
  #58
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
You've got the premise but not the conclusion.

Washington needs a competent goalie to either back up or tandem with Holtby. Maybe even step in as a starter. That requires trading Neuvirth because he is ****ing terrible and capable of none of that.
So Neuvy is now completely incompetant, even as a backup? I'd disagree, but whatever. Another thread for another time.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 01:43 PM
  #59
gordie
Registered User
 
gordie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,981
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
Saw that on the Pens board. They still ****ing think Fleury is elite.
Compared to Neuvirth and Holtby he is.

gordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 02:08 PM
  #60
G3 LesPaul
Registered User
 
G3 LesPaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie View Post
Compared to Neuvirth and Holtby he is.
Please tell me you are trolling

G3 LesPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 02:18 PM
  #61
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough
 
SimplySensational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: VA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,675
vCash: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie View Post
Compared to Neuvirth and Holtby he is.
Yep. .914 SV% average for the NHL, MAF .913.

Incoming: Well if you take out the last 10 games of the season its .915!!!!

If Fleury is elite, then so is Niemi, won a cup and has better stats.

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 02:22 PM
  #62
Skrudland2Lomakin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
I don't believe there's any way the Caps deal Neuvy before next trade deadline. Let Holtby show he can solidy his hold on the starter's job first. Neuvy's cheap for one more year then a RFA. No reason to make a move unless someone is offering to overpay and I can't see that.
I'm okay with this in practice. But like I said the market this year is slim pickens which leaves open the opportunity for an overpayment by someone like Toronto. Of course we would prefer this happens when we're ready to part with Neuvy, but seldom do trades happen like that, it's a tight window.

Skrudland2Lomakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 02:25 PM
  #63
G3 LesPaul
Registered User
 
G3 LesPaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,658
vCash: 500
MAF is the most overrated goalie in the league. It's sickening

G3 LesPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 02:32 PM
  #64
HTFN
Registered User
 
HTFN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,090
vCash: 500
I can't help but imagine a scenario where we trade Neuvirth for a good return, try and snag a backup, miss out on everything, bring in a goalie like Grubauer or something out of necessity, and watch the kid go just as bananas as all the other young goalies over the past few years. Not because it's likely, but just because it would be great to watch HFBoards try and discredit a 4th good young Capitals goalie.

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 02:41 PM
  #65
Halpysback
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,883
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post


Was he ****ing terrible in his rookie season? Carlson was pretty terrible too. Guess we should trade him away.

SOPHOMORE. SLUMP. IT EXISTS.

Get it through your head.
But I thought him being a backup messes with his head and makes him terrible

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 02:49 PM
  #66
Stewie G
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,123
vCash: 500
Round 37 of pro-Neuvirth vs. anti-Neuvirth

Lock up your dead horses. Get your well-worn reasons out of storage. You might actually change someone's else opinion this time.

Let's get it on!

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 02:57 PM
  #67
Carlzner
Who's Zed?
 
Carlzner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 10,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
But I thought him being a backup messes with his head and makes him terrible


http://thegoalieguild.com/2012/04/br...f-opportunity/

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks...braden-holtby/

Read these to educate yourself on the extremely difficult position known as goaltending.

A lot of what's in those articles can pertain to Neuvirth as well... and I'd bet they know much more about it than you.


Edit:
And i'll add this just for good measure.
http://thegoalieguild.com/2011/05/mi...reat-deceiver/

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 03:25 PM
  #68
Halpysback
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,883
vCash: 500
So difficult that somehow you can pick up an excellent backup in august for 600k that won't have his mind warped because he's not a #1.

Use Neuvirth's trade value to improve the roster elsewhere while getting someone who would be better in a backup role? Nah, way too logical.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 03:38 PM
  #69
Koized
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,671
vCash: 500
I think this could end up back-firing on the Penguins big time.

MAF is already mentally fragile and you bring in Vokoun who doesn't seem like the kind of guy that is happy being a backup, just look at some of his quotes from this year.

I'm not a big fan of MAF but he does have elite talent and he's a goalie that can win you a cup. Vokoun from his time here is not a cup calibre goalie. He had some strong stretches but he lets in the softest goals at the worst times.

I look forward to seeing the relationship between him and MAF.

Koized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 03:51 PM
  #70
Harvey Specter
Boooooone
 
Harvey Specter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Oxford-Malmö-Sydney
Country: Australia
Posts: 3,120
vCash: 50
horrible trade. getting nothing and giving the league a chance to bid >>> worthless pick and vokoun backing up MAF for the pens.

Harvey Specter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 03:54 PM
  #71
Harvey Specter
Boooooone
 
Harvey Specter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Oxford-Malmö-Sydney
Country: Australia
Posts: 3,120
vCash: 50
noivirt sucks, but whatever- if the caps are ever to build a contender, they'll manage in the 20 or so games he should get in the regular season before the real games start.

Harvey Specter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 04:05 PM
  #72
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: derderderderderderde
Country: Sao Tome e Principe
Posts: 12,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunksuperhero View Post
horrible trade. getting nothing and giving the league a chance to bid >>> worthless pick and vokoun backing up MAF for the pens.


You do realize that by giving them a "chance to bid", the Pens could still have gotten Vokoun?

You do realize in that scenario the Caps get nothing?

You do realize we essentially forced a 2 mil cap hit on the Pens for a 36 year old backup coming off an injury and a "slightly-better-than-meh" season? And if he's the starter, forcing them to have a 5 million dollar backup.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 04:15 PM
  #73
RandyHolt
Capitals Station
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,420
vCash: 50
He could have held out for a 6th and told Pitt have fun bidding on the open market if you dont like the price. What 7th rounder of his has ever panned out? If none, why do Pitt the favor?

We got about what we paid for, so we can stop patting George on the back now. Players are real superstitious and have egos, and bet he was pissed not starting game 1. Not starting him to open just set a negative tone in net and sure enough all 3 G's had struggles. I thought we got him to be a starter and bet you did too. No, I dont care what he or Neuvy did in preseason, to be honest. Talk about meaningless games.

I wonder if this sets the bar for the scale of his moves for yet another year. Tinker, and dont dare do anything big like ship out a part of the problem.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 04:16 PM
  #74
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,146
vCash: 50
@Dynamo
There also aren't many teams bidding for starting goalies anyway, and of the ones who will be, Toronto reportedly has no interest in Vokoun and they and several other teams will likely be focused on getting Luongo. Good trade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH
What 7th rounder of his has ever panned out? If none, why do Pitt the favor?

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 04:46 PM
  #75
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: derderderderderderde
Country: Sao Tome e Principe
Posts: 12,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
He could have held out for a 6th and told Pitt have fun bidding on the open market if you dont like the price.
And Pitt could have said, "lolz ok gearbox, we're trying to just give you something for a player who isn't going to re-sign with you. Masta Mario said we need to do something or the league is gonna stop giving us preferential treatment so we figured we'd make a splash with that former Predators goalie. Guess we will have to wait a month."

If we are playing the "have fun with hypothetical dialogue" game.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:28 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.