HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penguins trade 2012 7th Rd. pick for Tomas Vokoun (re-signed for 2 yrs/$2M per)

Old
06-04-2012, 10:56 AM
mpp9

vCash: 500
One of TK/Martin is gone for sure.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
He's old, but goalies can still be succesfull at that age. Good backup, good move.

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Shero isn't going to move Fleury. We are very strong. I definitely think Martin has a big time chance to be moved now. Shero wants to sure positions up and it doesn't look like he cares to waste money.

And I'm not trying to take us off-topic, but signing Vokoun proves he wants to win now. I've been on record saying Shero will stand pat, but he really proved me wrong here.

Anyone else just counting the days til the draft now?
Really?

When Marc has played average at least, the Penguins have made it to the cup finals. I'm not blaming it all on him, but he stinks in the playoffs. He just does. I've defended him and his "potential" for years. The guy is going to be 28 years old. He is what he is and he isn't very good.

Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
Is he going to wear #92 you think?

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Not a big fan of that kind of money for a backup goalie, regardless of his track record.

shureshot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JTG

Shero isn't bringing in Vokoun to move Fleury. That's crazy talk. He's bringing in Vokoun to take a chunk of games off of Fleury, to have some insurance incase Fleury goes down, and maybe to bring in a guy who has been there and done it, and came impart some knowledge on Fleury - a fresh perspective, if you will. Vokoun was an elite workhorse goaltender in the league for a very long time, and in my honest opinion, I believe he held the tag of "best goalie" for a chunk of that time.

There is no goaltender in the league that has had highs like I have seen from Vokoun. When he's on, he's damn near unbeatable. Even if you use the games he played against us over the years, he kept that terrible Florida team in a ton of games.

Like I said before, I love this move, but people who believe a 35+ year old goaltender who seems to have taken a step back at his age is being brought in to take the place of a 27 year old goaltender who is just reaching the most productive years of his careeer, well...they are just out to lunch.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 10:57 AM
Blitzburgh87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Just the teams left in the SCF can't trade, you can still make moves if i'm not mistaking
Ahh okay. Thank you kindly sir.

Blitzburgh87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 10:58 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzburgh87 View Post
We can't ACTUALLY trade players until July 1st right?
You're able to trade players at the draft, and before as long as you're not in the SCF.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 10:59 AM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyjoe21 View Post
He's old, but goalies can still be succesfull at that age. Good backup, good move.
Look at Marty and Hedberg, even Roloson last year.

Not saying Vokoun will be as good as those 3, but he's younger than all of them, and if there were any concern about his play lacking, I'm sure Shero wouldn't have been aggressive to acquire his rights and sign him to a 2 year, $4M contract.

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:00 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Really?

When Marc has played average at least, the Penguins have made it to the cup finals. I'm not blaming it all on him, but he stinks in the playoffs. He just does. I've defended him and his "potential" for years. The guy is going to be 28 years old. He is what he is and he isn't very good.
As per usual: Who are you getting instead? Also, we're still hung up on save percentage? Come on.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jax1166

Great great move for the Pens.

Listen MAF sucked. He played like somebody who knew his job was never in jeopardy; like he had tenure. Almost like he thinks he is Lundqvist...but clearly he is not.

Fact is MAF stats show him as being a good, decent starter. A top 15 goalie, but nothing more. He is very inconsistent, he has some very bad habits that never improves on (stickhandling) and as well he resorted back to giving up rebounds.

He played so bad, so bad this postseason and in his last four series he has been dreadful (sv pct under .900).

Now the Pens have a goalie who can
-Play 25-40 games to give MAF a break
-If MAF starts ******** the bed again, they can yank him and sit him as he deserved

I myself grew tired of watching MAF commit the same mistakes and look clueless; he has notice....improve or else.

Jax1166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Don't break my heart. Besides I feel like Toronto would make a pretty good deal since now they have to hope for loungo.
I'm afraid to ask but who exactly are we getting from Toronto that is going to make our goaltending better?

Old
06-04-2012, 11:01 AM
Dovahkiin
Geno! Geno! Geno!

Jennings next year maybes.

Dovahkiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:02 AM
Pengo

Wow, this is awesome!

I wonder what happens next...

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:03 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doakes View Post
Listen MAF sucked. He played like somebody who knew his job was never in jeopardy; like he had tenure. Almost like he thinks he is Lundqvist...but clearly he is not.

-If MAF starts ******** the bed again, they can yank him and sit him as he deserved

I myself grew tired of watching MAF commit the same mistakes and look clueless; he has notice....improve or else.
He did this all last season? Oh wait no he didn't. He played really well even when he had to try and save Johnny's ass on his nights off. He only did the above when the defense blew ass as well, but hey let's just get another starter cuz clearly this guy can't cut it.

Old
06-04-2012, 11:04 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
With that contract you'd think we'll have to move out somebody else, not that we don't hope "somebody" gets moved this offseason anyway...

What about TK? Exact same cap hit...
Glad you said it first and not me. I don't want the abuse.

Quote:
Well, Washington just traded us a player, right? We can trade, just can't negotiate with other teams' free agents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
One of TK/Martin is gone for sure.
Is it wrong to hope for both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyjoe21 View Post
Yep. He's still got game. One thing I just thought of... I bet Shero doing this now was partly to make sure Boston didn't make a move after Thomas retired (well, took the year off that will lead to his retirement IMO). Raask is their guy now but Vokoun would've made a nice backup for the Bruins.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:04 AM
edog37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Control Denied View Post
lol MVP regular season. the .913 save% begs to differ. More like average regular season and historically terrible playoffs.

did you even watch him play last year? MAF nearly tied Barrasso's record for most wins in a season with 42. As far as historically terrible playoffs, he back stopped us to two Cup Finals & one Cup win. The only other Pens goalie to do that was Barrasso....

edog37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:08 AM
SirBrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Shero isn't bringing in Vokoun to move Fleury. That's crazy talk. He's bringing in Vokoun to take a chunk of games off of Fleury, to have some insurance incase Fleury goes down, and maybe to bring in a guy who has been there and done it, and came impart some knowledge on Fleury - a fresh perspective, if you will. Vokoun was an elite workhorse goaltender in the league for a very long time, and in my honest opinion, I believe he held the tag of "best goalie" for a chunk of that time.

There is no goaltender in the league that has had highs like I have seen from Vokoun. When he's on, he's damn near unbeatable. Even if you use the games he played against us over the years, he kept that terrible Florida team in a ton of games.

Like I said before, I love this move, but people who believe a 35+ year old goaltender who seems to have taken a step back at his age is being brought in to take the place of a 27 year old goaltender who is just reaching the most productive years of his careeer, well...they are just out to lunch.
Wait, isn't Fleury a guy who has been there and done it?

SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:08 AM
Blitzburgh87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
I'm afraid to ask but who exactly are we getting from Toronto that is going to make our goaltending better?
I could see a package deal for a winger and a pick or something to be honest if we DID sign Harding we wouldn't have to worry. Maybe I just hate fleury I'm not sure Haha.

Blitzburgh87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:09 AM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Played 48 games this year. I'm hoping he can take around 30 so there will be no excuses for Fleury. Also could step in if Fleury does fail badly.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shureshot66 View Post
Not a big fan of that kind of money for a backup goalie, regardless of his track record.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human View Post
that's one big insurance, in terms of salary, for the regular starter who makes 5 millions to begin with...
This.

2.0 per is a lot for a back up when your regular is making 5.0 for a total of 7.0 on a team paying near the cap max.

I've got mixed emotions on this one. If it pushes Fleury to not have off games, and it garnishes them another cup final I won't complain.

This should mean some serious moves are imminent this summer.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Riptide

Quote:
You can trade players anytime. Boston/Washington already made a trade. Pens made a trade... It just usually doesn't happen until after the finals.

Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WVP

A bit high for a backup but this was something that needed addressed. Johnson was so bad last year that you literally couldn't play him, and Thiessen proved to not be an option either. So Fleury got overplayed, which may or may not have played a part in his poor play at the end of the year.

So you can pay Fleury a bit less, keep him on his toes a bit and have a legit option down the stretch if Fleury looks shaky again.

Looks like Shero's not 100% comfortable putting all his chips on MAF at this point. Overpayment (for a "backup" goalie) but this is a big statement from Shero, IMO.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

well at least we got somewhat of a goalie......going with none during the playoffs wasnt working. If/when fleury ****s up in the playoffs next year he will be on his way out of Pittsburgh and Vokoun is just there to play the rest of those playoffs imo.

Letang fan 58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:11 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
I could see a package deal for a winger and a pick or something to be honest if we DID sign Harding we wouldn't have to worry. Maybe I just hate fleury I'm not sure Haha.
I don't get all the haters, yes Fleury sucked in the playoffs but some are acting like he should follow Huet and leave for Europe. Flower is still a great young goalie and will be for years. We needed a better backup, Shero just addressed that so let's relax a little

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote