HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

2012 Entry Draft - They Looked Great in Practice

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2012, 05:37 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

vCash: 500
This is kind of an interesting draft, with so many people projected to go all over the map. Makes projecting who's going to be available at our pick very difficult. At the same time, there's a pretty long list of guys I'd be happy with. I just don't want any obvious reaches being made with our 1st rounder.

Old
06-12-2012, 05:40 PM
shortshorts
broken athlete

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Not big on Aberg.

Just a gut feeling.

He's pretty small, and doesn't make plays...a pure shooter, you'd say...

How many of those are around the league right now? Only seen highlights, but colour me unimpressed.
Think a small version of Vanek. He has a ridiculous shot that the Canucks need.

Old
06-12-2012, 05:42 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
Think a small version of Vanek. He has a ridiculous shot that the Canucks need.
You see him getting a sniff in the next 3 years?

The upside is there I guess, for some reason I just don't like him as a prospect.

There is usually a couple guys like that per draft.

Old
06-12-2012, 05:43 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Not big on Aberg.

Just a gut feeling.

How many of those are around the league right now? Only seen highlights, but colour me unimpressed.
I don't think that's an accurate description.

Quote:
Pontus Aberg has had a nice year over in Sweden from a counting numbers perspective for an 18-year-old, logging over 10 minutes per game, which is good for a player his age in that league. He got off to a hot start, but injuries impeded him somewhat in the second half of the year. Aberg is a plus skater with very good acceleration off his first few steps and a pretty dangerous top speed. He also has a plus shot which will drive a decent portion of his offensive value and allow him to maintain an above league average shooting percentage over his career. His shot is pretty accurate with good technique on his release, his one-timers fly off his stick with remarkable speed, and Aberg has the makings of a dangerous power play triggerman. Aberg has great hands and can show some flash in that area in terms of being able to make great individual plays in creating space for himself. His true strength isn't about being a dangerous puck controller, though, as it is playing a speed game and getting the puck to the net. At times, he can move the puck around at an average level, but he doesn't overly impress with his vision. Aberg also needs to work on his defense, although with his on-ice work ethic, there is reason to believe the finer points of his defensive game will come along. Aberg's physical game also likely tops out as below-average because of his size but he does work hard and has a gritty edge to his game.
http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1308

He's not a playmaker, but neither is a guy like Mike Cammalleri who he can be compared to, IMO. He's a guy that can make stuff happen by himself out of nowhere and we could certainly use more of his kind.

Old
06-12-2012, 05:44 PM
crazycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
This is kind of an interesting draft, with so many people projected to go all over the map. Makes projecting who's going to be available at our pick very difficult. At the same time, there's a pretty long list of guys I'd be happy with. I just don't want any obvious reaches being made with our 1st rounder.
I'd go Coo Coo if the Canucks got Koekoek. He's the defenseman I'd be targetting if I'm Gillis, along with forwards Sissons and Laughton

Old
06-12-2012, 05:48 PM
shortshorts
broken athlete

Quote:
You see him getting a sniff in the next 3 years?

The upside is there I guess, for some reason I just don't like him as a prospect.

There is usually a couple guys like that per draft.
Depends what is returned in the Luongo trade.

Our team needs big players who can play, and more pure shooters. If you can get a high end player that is both, you do it.

Think about it this way, our best sniper behind Daniel is ... Kesler, and lately all he's been able to snipe are legs and the boards behind the net. After Kesler is... Higgins. That's incredibly poor in terms of shooting ability. We have great two-way fowards, but we don't have any pure finishers.

Old
06-12-2012, 05:50 PM
PRNuck
Wow. What a day.

Quote:
Not big on Aberg.

Just a gut feeling.

Sure about that?

Old
06-12-2012, 05:50 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I don't think that's an accurate description.

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1308

He's not a playmaker, but neither is a guy like Mike Cammalleri who he can be compared to, IMO. He's a guy that can make stuff happen by himself out of nowhere and we could certainly use more of his kind.
Thanks for that.

Just a vibe I'm getting, I've not obviously seen him a lot outside of highlight packs.

Cammalleri is a good comp I guess, I was trying to think of a smaller, shooter...his release looks like Patrick Sharp's.

Just not my ideal Canuck at this time.

Old
06-12-2012, 05:54 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Sure about that?
No.

Combine heights and weights haven't come out.

I just see a mature prospect, who has had a rough year injury wise, and lacks an all around game.

If he can be Mike Cammalleri, I'd love for my gut feeling to be wrong...

Old
06-12-2012, 05:59 PM
PRNuck
Wow. What a day.

Quote:
No.

Combine heights and weights haven't come out.

I just see a mature prospect, who has had a rough year injury wise, and lacks an all around game.

If he can be Mike Cammalleri, I'd love for my gut feeling to be wrong...
Check the prospects forum, some dude is tweeting the heights/weights from the combine (don't ask me how this is the best way to get info from something that happened a week ago, in the year 2012). I believe Aberg was 5-11 1/2, 190 or something like that.

Old
06-12-2012, 06:02 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
I'd go Coo Coo if the Canucks got Koekoek. He's the defenseman I'd be targetting if I'm Gillis, along with forwards Sissons and Laughton
Koekkoek is my choice as well. Seems like a pretty high upside guy. If we go with a forward I hope Gaunce is still there, but probably not.

Old
06-12-2012, 07:47 PM
B-rock

Quote:
Depends what is returned in the Luongo trade.

Our team needs big players who can play, and more pure shooters. If you can get a high end player that is both, you do it.

Think about it this way, our best sniper behind Daniel is ... Kesler, and lately all he's been able to snipe are legs and the boards behind the net. After Kesler is... Higgins. That's incredibly poor in terms of shooting ability. We have great two-way fowards, but we don't have any pure finishers.
No love for Burrows and his 30 goal seasons?
I agree with your point though.

Old
06-12-2012, 08:29 PM
shortshorts
broken athlete

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rock View Post
No love for Burrows and his 30 goal seasons?
I agree with your point though.
Burrows is a great player, but he isn't a shooter. Away from the Sedin's, he's an opportunistic goal scorer. By that, I mean that he isn't the player to be able to create and pick a corner on his own. It's hard to explain... Burrows is closer to "grinder" than "sniper" away from the Sedins. Which is the same with the majority of our team.

Depth is key to winning the cup, but we need varied depth. We have too many two way forwards who can't score in the playoffs. It works in the regular season, but it doesn't in the playoffs.

Old
06-12-2012, 08:58 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Burrows is a great player, but he isn't a shooter. Away from the Sedin's, he's an opportunistic goal scorer. By that, I mean that he isn't the player to be able to create and pick a corner on his own. It's hard to explain... Burrows is closer to "grinder" than "sniper" away from the Sedins. Which is the same with the majority of our team.

Depth is key to winning the cup, but we need varied depth. We have too many two way forwards who can't score in the playoffs. It works in the regular season, but it doesn't in the playoffs.
I think the poster referenced you calling Higgins a better pure shooter.

Burrows is a much better finisher than Higgins.

Burrows is 3rd behind Sedin and Kesler when it comes to natural finishing ability.

Old
06-12-2012, 10:15 PM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen 36 View Post
Ok you guys, if the Team Board Mock Draft is indicative of anything, Pontus Aberg may drop to us. If this happens, do we take him over one of our two favourite defencemen (Thrower, Bystrom)? Kid compares to Teemu Selanne and is a 5'11 187lbs Winger (LW or RW), looks good.
For my money, if Aberg slipped to us at 26, it would be as much of a no-brainer pick as Jensen was last year.

I'll be shocked if Aberg falls to us, but hey...i was shocked when Jensen fell last year. So i suppose it's not outside the realm of possibility.

I'd even be plenty okay with moving up a bit to grab Aberg if he's still around within reach.

Old
06-12-2012, 10:47 PM
PRNuck
Wow. What a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
For my money, if Aberg slipped to us at 26, it would be as much of a no-brainer pick as Jensen was last year.

I'll be shocked if Aberg falls to us, but hey...i was shocked when Jensen fell last year. So i suppose it's not outside the realm of possibility.

I'd even be plenty okay with moving up a bit to grab Aberg if he's still around within reach.
Never underestimate the terribleness of some of these GMs

If we end up with another draft pick (and it's next year, or later than our first rounder) in our inevitable trade of a goalie, I'm all for packaging them to move up. At that point I'd probably be more after Koekkoek though.

Old
06-13-2012, 10:33 AM
metric

Dredger reporting New Jersey opted not to forfeit their first round pick. Makes no sense to me at all. I will laugh so hard if they pull a Tampa and finish as a lottery team these next two seasons and are forced to forfeit a high pick.

Old
06-13-2012, 10:37 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by metric View Post
Dredger reporting New Jersey opted not to forfeit their first round pick. Makes no sense to me at all. I will laugh so hard if they pull a Tampa and finish as a lottery team these next two seasons and are forced to forfeit a high pick.
Lamouriello will likely flip it to move back and acquire more picks.

2 assets mean more to him than one good one.

Conte can find NHLers anywhere in a draft.

They have a very Belichek-esque draft strategy usually.

Old
06-13-2012, 11:27 AM
BerSTUzzi

So the breakdown of interest so far seems to be with our current picks are:

1st: Thrower, Bystrom, Koekkoek, Finn, Matteau, Hertl, Lindholm (if drops)

2nd: Gordon, Vail, Lindell, Calle Anderson, Bozon, Jankowski, McCabe

then the giant gap and players I like 5th and 6th

5th: DeJersey (Prince George BCHL), Gilmour (going to Boston College), Seaman (Brandon), Moroz(Edmonton Oil Kings), Tot(Lethbridge), Tierney(London Knights), Tobias Tornkvist (fiesty Swede)

6th: Rissling(Calgary Hitman), Wade Murphy (Penticton), Martinook (Giants), Altshuller (G for Oshawa), Artem Klein(German)

Old
06-13-2012, 12:22 PM
metric

Trading down for more picks isn't the issue. New Jersey HAVE to give up a first round pick between now and 2014. There's a 99% chance that their first round pick in 2013 or 2014 will be higher and therefore worth more. Unless their scouts believe they can get a steal at 29 (or two or more in the second/later rounds by trading down) then they should have just forfeited their pick. Not to mention at that point in the draft there is really no guarantee who you want will be available.

Old
06-13-2012, 12:29 PM
thefeebster

Big pass on altshuller. Haven't been impressed.

But I'm also a big gilmour fan. Wishing we still had those 4th rounders because I could see someone taking him a bit earlier.

For the 5th, 6th rounds, I'd recommend you guys take read into Matt Grzelcyk. A smaller two way defenseman but could be a big steal late. Going to BU. Here a blurb from a very good us ntdp and us hockey in general blog by Chris peters.

Quote:
Again, it appears size is the biggest concern, but it really shouldn’t be, as he is a high-end skater, a very smart player and a steady puck-mover. Grzelcyk also has a pretty underrated shot, as it is both heavy and accurate.

In an age where possession skills are at a premium, Grzelcyk is a strong defenseman in possession. He handles the puck well, distributes well and makes very few mistakes in the way of turnovers.
http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2012...now/#more-3796

Edit: also going to add a great article from Kirk. http://hockeyjournal.com/blog/kirks/..._Matt_Grzelcyk

Also another sleeper from the OHL might be defenseman jake dotchin. Great pro size, can skate, loves the physical game/hit, shutdown ability and underrated Two way play. Could have a huge development year next year.

Last edited by thefeebster: 06-13-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old
06-13-2012, 12:29 PM
PRNuck
Wow. What a day.

Quote:
Trading down for more picks isn't the issue. New Jersey HAVE to give up a first round pick between now and 2014. There's a 99% chance that their first round pick in 2013 or 2014 will be higher and therefore worth more. Unless their scouts believe they can get a steal at 29 (or two or more in the second/later rounds by trading down) then they should have just forfeited their pick. Not to mention at that point in the draft there is really no guarantee who you want will be available.
Maybe it's time value of money thing A draft pick today is worth more than a draft pick a year from now.

Old
06-13-2012, 12:33 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Maybe Lou doesn't plan on being around in a few years and is going to push the punishment onto the next GM?

I dunno what they have planned already for this years pick, but I would have forfeited it. I don't see them getting back to the SCF anytime soon.

Old
06-13-2012, 01:34 PM
Chubros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Maybe Lou doesn't plan on being around in a few years and is going to push the punishment onto the next GM?

I dunno what they have planned already for this years pick, but I would have forfeited it. I don't see them getting back to the SCF anytime soon.
Maybe they need the pick to bid for Luongo.

Old
06-13-2012, 04:24 PM
WonderTwinsUnite

I gotta say, if no one ridiculous falls (ie Girgenson, Lindholm), I'd personally swing for the fences with Jankowski. Late in the first round, I firmly believe in going as big as possible. Jankowski has been said to be comparable to a Spezza, and he's really lean, meaning there is a massive amount of room for improvement there.

Closed Thread