HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Mark Jankowski - Providence College, HE (2012, 21st overall, Calgary)

Old
01-08-2014, 11:36 AM
Loffer

vCash: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haatley View Post
Jankowski would probably make most teams not named Canada.
the kid has talent.
quit trolling.
I think he should have made team Canada, as well...

Loffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 11:46 AM
TheDoctor10
Bigger on the inside

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toewsintangibles View Post
I wonder would this guy even have made the borg-like Finnish WJC roster.. maybe as the extra forward, I guess
Given who didn't make the team, and the ultimate result, maybe he would've helped. He would have been more useful than Gauthier, and since Brent wanted to play every 19 year old he had over McDavid, he might have been able to surprise some people.

TheDoctor10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 07:49 PM
bloggerfanthe*

Roger Millions ‏@RogMillions 8h
Talked to two NHL types this am. Both say they are very impressed with Mark Jankowski this season. Much improved defensively. #Flames

Both believe he will be an NHL player. Jankowski's offense may be off a bit, but they say he is a greatly improved player. #Flames

I wonder if one of the NHL types he talked to was Mark's uncle Ryan who happens to work for the Montreal Canadiens. Just so happens that the Flames were in Montreal last night. Of course Ryan is going to say that about Mark. Millions is a hack. Probably the other NHL type was one of Weisbrod or Feaster attending the game.

bloggerfanthe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 08:17 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenixx View Post
Very interesting. I didn't realize he'd grown during the season last year. Definitely a big dude now.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 08:51 PM
SaintAnton

He's really going to need to impress again at prospect camp next year and then earn top line minutes for the friars and score some more goals.

But if like the interview says he expects to start next year at 195lbs we could see him reach near Colbourne's skill level by next camp and then progress from there.

SaintAnton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 09:32 PM
Rolen
fire Kerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerfanthe View Post
Talked to two NHL types this am. Both say they are very impressed with Mark Jankowski this season. Much improved defensively. #Flames

Both believe he will be an NHL player. Jankowski's offense may be off a bit, but they say he is a greatly improved player. #Flames

I wonder if one of the NHL types he talked to was Mark's uncle Ryan who happens to work for the Montreal Canadiens. Just so happens that the Flames were in Montreal last night. Of course Ryan is going to say that about Mark. Millions is a hack. Probably the other NHL type was one of Weisbrod or Feaster attending the game.
You call Millions a hack based off of pure speculation that the 2 disclosed scouts just happened to be close to Mark.

Rolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 09:37 PM
Flames Fanatic
Truculent Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
Very interesting. I didn't realize he'd grown during the season last year. Definitely a big dude now.
He told me he was 6'3 1/2" at the development camp, which is a big growth from when he was drafted. That was on flat feet as well. On skates he had at least four or five inches on me and I'm six feet.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2014, 11:19 AM
bsmith14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolen View Post
You call Millions a hack based off of pure speculation that the 2 disclosed scouts just happened to be close to Mark.

Dude it says in his name he is a troll lol. Don't take him seriously.

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2014, 07:51 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:

Not sure I see much of a future if he isnt producing in the offensive end. He has skill for sure, but I dont see him carving out a solid role in the NHL if it isnt in a scoring role.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2014, 08:34 PM
Reinhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumblin Erb Brooks View Post
Not sure I see much of a future if he isnt producing in the offensive end. He has skill for sure, but I dont see him carving out a solid role in the NHL if it isnt in a scoring role.
Why do you feel he can't cut it in the NHL if he isn't in a scoring role? He is fairly good defensively already, has really great size, is a great skater, and has high hockey IQ apparently. Sounds like to me that if he doesn't make it in a scoring role, he could very well make it in a bottom 6 role as a defensive player, or perhaps even as a 3rd liner who can be good defensively, but chips in offensively now and then.

The only reason I can come up with would be a lack of grit in his game, but apparently that is coming along (though still not 'gritty' enough yet, for sure).

Reinhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2014, 11:45 PM
MVW

Quote:

So wait, are you telling me he isn't gonna be a Joe Thorton caliber of player? Doesn't this guy have HOF potential?

MVW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 12:46 AM
TheDebaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
So wait, are you telling me he isn't gonna be a Joe Thorton caliber of player? Doesn't this guy have HOF potential?
He's a first ballot shoo-in already.

TheDebaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 12:51 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumblin Erb Brooks View Post
Based on what? Its not like he is Gaurdreau or something, the guy is following the same path as another large forward who took awhile to put it together: Joe Colborne.

If Jankowski's offensive game doesn't continue to develop, that's who he will essentially end up being.

02-07-2014, 01:29 AM
stavs

whats his projection?

Haven't really followed him since the draft

stavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 09:51 AM
bloggerfanthe*

Quote:
Originally Posted by stavs View Post
whats his projection?

Career AHL'er. I would be shocked if he ever makes the NHL.

Old
02-07-2014, 10:03 AM
SaintAnton

Quote:
whats his projection?

Right now it looks like he bottoms out as a player very similar to Joe Colborne's current level of play but there is tons of potential there. Not really sure of a comparable in style but at his best he'll be just over 6'3" 220lbs centreman who can stick handle through a Defense but pass-first mentality and playing in the goaltender's face.

SaintAnton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 11:37 AM
Zirakzigil

Quote:
Career AHL'er. I would be shocked if he ever makes the NHL.
I'm curious. Since its well known you love to bash Flames prospects, how many times have you seen Mark play? And I mean live, not YouTube videos or highlights on TV.

Zirakzigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 04:58 PM
MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirakzigil View Post
I'm curious. Since its well known you love to bash Flames prospects, how many times have you seen Mark play? And I mean live, not YouTube videos or highlights on TV.
I'm guessing zero, honestly.

MVW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 05:08 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 145
Quote:
whats his projection?

He hasn't answered any of the questions that surrounded him in the draft. He could still top out as a first line player but I think a 2nd liner is most likely.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 07:42 PM
Zirakzigil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I'm guessing zero, honestly.
Me too, which is my point. He tries coming off like he has knowledge of Jankowski and other Flames prospects but he doesnt.

Mark has been progressing, thats all I have wanted from him. When he was drafted he was seen as a 4 year project + AHL time and hes on track for that.

Zirakzigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2014, 11:52 AM
bloggerfanthe*

The Jankowski pick is looking more and more ridiculous by the day. Olli Maatta finished the Olympic tournament with 6 points and was dominant. Couldn't be happier that the two donkeys who picked him are gone and will probably never get a job in the NHL again.

Old
02-22-2014, 12:20 PM
Vokouna Maattata
Save us, Beau!

Quote:
The Jankowski pick is looking more and more ridiculous by the day. Olli Maatta finished the Olympic tournament with 6 points and was dominant. Couldn't be happier that the two donkeys who picked him are gone and will probably never get a job in the NHL again.
Not to nitpick, but he only had 5 points (3 goals and 2 assists). Though I agree, the Flames passed up on a PMD that they desperately need and just led his bronze medal team in scoring at the Olympics for a high school player. Not that smart.

Vokouna Maattata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2014, 01:09 PM
nogger
Former 4th liner

Yup, it sucks.. but there is literally nothing we can do about it now. So lets all move on.

nogger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2014, 01:14 PM
bloggerfanthe*

Jay Feaster on drafting Mark Jankowski:

Quote:
In 10 years, Feaster predicted, “Jankowski will be viewed as the best player in the 2012 draft,” adding “We felt we could take the gamble.”
What in the ??? Take a gamble. Absolute non-sense. I understand taking a gamble if you have a ton of prospects but at the time the Flames didn't. You don't trade down to take a gamble.

Old
02-22-2014, 01:15 PM
topchowda

Bad picks happen all the time. The only thing you can do is hope the prospect turns out somehow. I think Burke and other GMs will learn from this and avoid this type of pick in the future tho

topchowda is online now   Reply With Quote