HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Nonis on Cybulski and Company @ 5:30

Old
06-04-2012, 06:32 PM
New Liskeard

vCash: 500
My last point on why I think Burke is aiming for Lou, speaks to a recent article in the Globe and Mail with Rick Dudley leaving the Leafs. Dudley mentioned the extreme importance of top goaltending, and taking a "life time" to realize this. No question Dudley passed this on to Burke, and Burke having challenges previously, in not having top goaltending to take you to the next step.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 06:32 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine View Post
-Frattin should be ready to go to start next season
-zigo and kardi, no guarantees

-a goalie could come via an route. Scrivens making strong case.
-still unclear who is available goalie wise

-Dallas want to be patient until he feels he can run with a NHL job, and not take one on a whim, to whatever is available. -Will reconsider situation after next year.

On "cap circumvention" deals
-Philosophy hasn't changed, will not look to make "wonky" deals, but open to taking on those deal
-if i may infer a little bit, it sound like nonis and burke don't see eye to eye on these deals. as in nonis will do what ya gotta do, while burke will stick to his prinicples no matter what.

-talked about offer sheets, okay with it , expect when its meant to inflate the players value.

On the sense of urgency, not really any (so he says)

-L.A. is a good example of how to build a contender, using multiple avenues to better team, without giviing up future success for short term success

On the draft
-seems like they will look to stengthen depth/bottom six/pairing players.

overall, same stuff, different day
i wonder what is meant by that. pairing? like defensive pairings?

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 06:34 PM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Quote:
Philosophy hasn't changed, will not look to make "wonky" deals, but open to taking on those deals
Nice try Nonis. There's no distinction whatsoever between giving out a cap circumventing deal and bringing one in via trade. It's the same outcome either way.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 06:44 PM
Cool Beans Man

Can someone please clarify what he means with Kadri's injury? I'm slightly confused.

Is he doubtful for the rest of the series, or doubtful for camp? What's even wrong with him?

Cool Beans Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Aplayaz2000

podcast doesn't seem to be on the tsn radio site

Aplayaz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 06:56 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
True.

Army might have some value for the Nucks. They were looking to get tough at the deadline, and Kassian didn't really help them out as expected.
Yep, and they only would have his contract for one year, which makes it even better.

calcal798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 07:05 PM
WTFMAN99

Maybe Burke doesn't like the idea of trying to sign a cap circumvention contract is because he's afraid of losing a 1st rounder like NJ did....but I have a feeling its more due to his ethics.

WTFMAN99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 07:05 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
My last point on why I think Burke is aiming for Lou, speaks to a recent article in the Globe and Mail with Rick Dudley leaving the Leafs. Dudley mentioned the extreme importance of top goaltending, and taking a "life time" to realize this. No question Dudley passed this on to Burke, and Burke having challenges previously, in not having top goaltending to take you to the next step.
that's funny because duds didn't have a "top goalie" in Chicago and they did pretty good.

Lu can't be an option!

Rockinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 07:14 PM
ALine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
i wonder what is meant by that. pairing? like defensive pairings?
i'm paraphrasing and inferring a little bit here, he said they were looking to upgrade depth guys like 4ths liners and number 5,6,7 defensive guys. I forget whether he said to draft or minor trades, the latter i would assume. I'm sorry my original run-down was a little vague.

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 07:17 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
that's funny because duds didn't have a "top goalie" in Chicago and they did pretty good.

Lu can't be an option!
Dudley has only been with Chicago, and not any other NHL team, in any capacity? Read the article and disagree with Dudley himself. Lou is the best reported goalie available; if Burke and co. think so, they will aquire him.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle4209742/

Why you want to argue with what Dudley says, makes no sense at all.

Old
06-04-2012, 07:19 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Quote:
Dudley has only been with Chicago, and not any other NHL team, in any capacity? Read the article and disagree with Dudley himself. Lou is the best reported goalie available; if Burke and co. think so, they will aquire him.

im not. im saying he is contradicting himself.

Rockinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 07:20 PM
ALine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans Man View Post
Can someone please clarify what he means with Kadri's injury? I'm slightly confused.

Is he doubtful for the rest of the series, or doubtful for camp? What's even wrong with him?
Never said the words doubtful, if i'm not mistaken. Referred to both Zigomanis and Kardi as not being gaurantees to go for the series. Assured that everyone would be good-to-go for camp.

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 07:20 PM
hullsy47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine View Post
i'm paraphrasing and inferring a little bit here, he said they were looking to upgrade depth guys like 4ths liners and number 5,6,7 defensive guys. I forget whether he said to draft or minor trades, the latter i would assume. I'm sorry my original run-down was a little vague.
whats he supposed to say? "in reality the new board might fire us all 'thats why burke aint saying much ....he looks like a fool with all the we are evaluating this and that
never anything different .......same crap different month

hullsy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 07:27 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
im not. im saying he is contradicting himself.
I'll take his assement on the NHL and building teams over any poster here on HF Boards. Heck, Montreal must think he knows a thing or two about the NHL.

Old
06-04-2012, 07:34 PM
Budsfan

Quote:

Dudley doesn't say anything about Luongo here's the quote and it's in brackets indicating the writer DAVID SHOALTS is inferring Luongo, if Dudley mentioned Luongo it would be tampering.

Quote:
If Burke and Nonis find the right candidate, probably through a trade (with the Vancouver Canucks' Roberto Luongo as the top candidate), Dudley believes a 180-degree turn is likely. The other two important moves, he said, are finding a No. 1 centre and adding a good defenceman, although he said that may be the least critical move since the Leafs have several top prospects at that position.

Budsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 07:43 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
Dudley doesn't say anything about Luongo here's the quote and it's in brackets indicating the writer DAVID SHOALTS is inferring Luongo, if Dudley mentioned Luongo it would be tampering.

Where does it say anything about Luongo in the article? The post was about Dudley speaking to the importance of top notch goaltending. Along with Burke saying he needs to address that same area as well, and nonis speaking to being open to "aquire wonky contracts", looks an awful lot like Lou fits the bill. Below is the quote from Dudley himself.

The most important of those moves, one he believes GM Brian Burke is working on, is to get an established, elite goaltender. Dudley says that will make an enormous difference to a team with a lot of young players like the Leafs, since their confidence will no longer suffer when they see their mistakes wind up in the net.

“The whole team gets better,” Dudley said. “It took me a whole lifetime in hockey to realize that. But it puts confidence in your players and makes them all better.”

Old
06-04-2012, 07:43 PM
Gatorade*

Quote:
I'll take his assement on the NHL and building teams over any poster here on HF Boards. Heck, Montreal must think he knows a thing or two about the NHL.
I am curious why Dudley is so highly regarded on this board? His career has been a dogs breakfast. We should be happy he is in Montreal.

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 07:49 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
I am curious why Dudley is so highly regarded on this board? His career has been a dogs breakfast. We should be happy he is in Montreal.
Says the Rangers fan, out for a friendly troll as usual. Many quotes from various NHL executives speaking to his ability to evaluate talent, and his many years in different roles in the NHL. Clearly you know better.

Old
Budsfan

Quote:
Where does it say anything about Luongo in the article? The post was about Dudley speaking to the importance of top notch goaltending. Along with Burke saying he needs to address that same area as well, and nonis speaking to being open to "aquire wonky contracts", looks an awful lot like Lou fits the bill. Below is the quote from Dudley himself.

The most important of those moves, one he believes GM Brian Burke is working on, is to get an established, elite goaltender. Dudley says that will make an enormous difference to a team with a lot of young players like the Leafs, since their confidence will no longer suffer when they see their mistakes wind up in the net.

“The whole team gets better,” Dudley said. “It took me a whole lifetime in hockey to realize that. But it puts confidence in your players and makes them all better.”
That's right just remove the remove everything between the brackets and you have what Dudley said.

Quote:
If Burke and Nonis find the right candidate, probably through a trade (with the Vancouver Canucks' Roberto Luongo as the top candidate), Dudley believes a 180-degree turn is likely. The other two important moves, he said, are finding a No. 1 centre and adding a good defenceman, although he said that may be the least critical move since the Leafs have several top prospects at that position.
He is not specifically referring to Luongo just the right candidate

Budsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Suntouchable13

Quote:

Exactly what I was thinking too. You can't have a young goalie still learning the ropes in the NHL to play behind a young team. I always thought you need a veteran top notch goalie back there. A veteran team can carry a young goalie, but a young goalie that is still learning can't carry a young team.

Suntouchable13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 07:52 PM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Says the Rangers fan, out for a friendly troll as usual. Many quotes from various NHL executives speaking to his ability to evaluate talent, and his many years in different roles in the NHL. Clearly you know better.

I am also a Leaf fan. Why you have a problem with that? Been watching this team for almost 40 years. Can we end this nonsense that I am not a fan because I hate the GM and am disgusted with results?

I just don't get the love for Dudley. He has no career accomplishments. Apparently he works hard and watches a lot of games.

Old
06-04-2012, 07:54 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
I couldn't agree more. The way he ran that 1999 Lightning draft was kind of hilarious.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 08:03 PM
ErikP803

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
Yep, and they only would have his contract for one year, which makes it even better.
Let's be realistic though, if you were looking to improve your team's toughness, Colby Armstrong would definitely not be on your short list at 3ish million for one year. He's great along the boards and can be a pest, but I highly doubt he's an intimidating presence out there.

ErikP803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 08:07 PM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikP803 View Post
Let's be realistic though, if you were looking to improve your team's toughness, Colby Armstrong would definitely not be on your short list at 3ish million for one year. He's great along the boards and can be a pest, but I highly doubt he's an intimidating presence out there.
Those type of players peak and then a team makes a mistake on them with FA deals. When will GMs learn that they can draft that player and get his best years?

Old
06-04-2012, 08:10 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
That's right just remove the remove everything between the brackets and you have what Dudley said.

He is not specifically referring to Luongo just the right candidate
I never once said Dudley refered to Luongo. Dudley spoke to the importance of top goaltending, and IMHO, Lou is that guy.