Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Fire Chuck (Not really)

Old
06-22-2012, 02:43 PM
TZM
Par too easy

vCash: 500
At this point this thread has the most accurate title ever.

TZM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 02:50 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

vCash: 50
I think I'm willing to give Fletcher the benefit of the doubt.

He seems to have a phenomenal draft system in place that has done a really good job of restocking our formerly barren farm system. Regardless of if its his doing or the people who he brought in to do scouting and whatnot, he's still the guy running the show.

And as for not putting an NHL team on the ice, I think he is probably icing the best team he can with the hand he has been dealt. First couple of years he was dealing with a "win now" owner so he had to make moves with the goal of "playoffs now" in mind. Since then he's been a lot better, now that ownership is onboard for his long term plan.

And as for free agents and trades... its not like Minnesota is a very attractive destination. Especially during Richards tenure here. Who in their right mind would want to come to an apparently incompetent hockey club with an even more apparently incompetent coach at the helm? Not anyone who wants to win, thats for sure, and I'm pretty sure ability to win is pretty high on the list of any free agent worth pursuing. If we had wanted to get any kind of good free agent, we would have really had to overpay.

Trades are different. And trades have been discussed to death elsewhere. It's just not like he can magically make a trade appear out of thin air. So I dont think theres anything more that needs to be said.

This offseason I think is the offseason things finally change. We're at a tipping point with our prospects now where several of them are realy to turn pro and contribute at the NHL level, either by earning a roster spot out of camp, or by being a competent call up that can handle top 6 spot duty when we inevitably get hit by injuries. Last years problem was a total lack of top-6 depth, and that's going to be corrected at last.

I think we'll finally be at least a moderately attractive destination to free agents now because were finally at that point where were ready to explode out of the gutter and wreck havoc on the league. We got a good glimpse of that last year before injuries hit and blew our team to shreds before mid december.

This year should be the start of something really special, and this offseason and upcoming season is where we can finally properly judge GMCF.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 02:58 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
tldr;

But you've got it. Its finally starting to become Fletcher's team.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 03:22 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Let's not forget that hindsight is 20/20. Bringing in Havlat was not bad, it just didn't work out. In fact at the time, he was one of the most sought after free agents, and WE got him, at a reasonable contract too.

The Leddy deal, I still don't get all the problem with that, he's really not that good, even on a Chicago team that isn't exactly stacked with awesome d. It looks bad at times, but the dude seriously makes a lot of mistakes, still...

Fletch has been trying to build a CONTENDING team, not just some team that squeaks into the playoffs only to get bounced right away, which is most of the teams that make it in; who cares. We do have a plan and it takes time and patience, and we are growing in the proper direction. Our depth is the greatest we've ever had; we have resources, and let's not forget that our team, the one that was 1st in the league in mid December, is over 20mil under the cap! We have the resources to really grow this team for once. Also, last summer the free agents sucked.

Last edited by DeuceMN: 06-22-2012 at 03:37 PM. Reason: phrased the subject matter wrong
DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 03:27 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech in Hockey View Post
Let's not forget that hindsight is 20/20. The Havlat trade was not a bad trade, it just didn't work out.
I stopped reading after this. Say whaaaaaa? We clearly got the better player. The Heater was a very good defensive player, which people seem to overlook. He actually played in all three zones. I'd take that trade any day of the week.

Old
06-22-2012, 03:32 PM
LordFletcher

DR missed on picks from 04-09. This is the number 1,2,3 reasons for the Wild missing the playoffs the last decade or however long its been

Fletcher has done a better job drafting in 3 years than those 6 by "derpes" - did I spell that right??? and 99% of Fletchers picks haven't played in the NHL yet. Be patient folks.

LordFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 03:33 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
I stopped reading after this. Say whaaaaaa? We clearly got the better player. The Heater was a very good defensive player, which people seem to overlook. He actually played in all three zones. I'd take that trade any day of the week.
I like Heatley. He's old and slow and a hell of a teammate and works his butt off. Good rolemodel for all the kiddies coming in, plus he loves that damned slapper.

Old
06-22-2012, 03:36 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
I wrote that wrong actually. I meant when we brought Havlat in as a free agent. I like the trade of Havlat for Heatley.

Old
06-22-2012, 03:38 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Gotcha. Makes sense now.

Old
06-22-2012, 03:42 PM
IronRangeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech in Hockey View Post
I wrote that wrong actually. I meant when we brought Havlat in as a free agent. I like the trade of Havlat for Heatley.
I knew what you were talkng about, Marty wasn't a bad playmaker, he had a high hockey IQ, but the Wild needed someone that could find the net..

IronRangeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 03:45 PM
IronRangeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordFletcher View Post
DR missed on picks from 04-09. This is the number 1,2,3 reasons for the Wild missing the playoffs the last decade or however long its been

Fletcher has done a better job drafting in 3 years than those 6 by "derpes" - did I spell that right??? and 99% of Fletchers picks haven't played in the NHL yet. Be patient folks.
Can I get an AMEN! My thoughts exactly, he had squat to work with and damn near impossible to bring in talent to help out with that incredibly weak DR roster..

His work will start to show this season, and im very optimistic.

I dont consider myself an apologist, if I thought Fletch stunk, i'd say it.

Now, just about time for the draft and see what Lord Fletch has in mind..

Old
06-22-2012, 04:45 PM
forthewild

Yeah when GMCF took over, bad cap management, win now owner, NO assets to work with, gabby gone for squat, as good as GMCF has been even he can't pull talent out of his ass

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 04:47 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Surprised he hasn't gotten an extension

Old
06-22-2012, 05:13 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
I thought he did so he would get a chance to see his prospects through?

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 05:14 PM
forthewild

Quote:
It's being worked on

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 05:25 PM
LordFletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
It's being worked on
correct. Leipold has confirmed he and Fletcher are working on an extension. It will happen, my guess will be a 3 year deal but sadly I would like to see it be more than 3, more like 5-7.

If Fletcher turns this around, which I believe he is on pace to do, he will get bigger offers from teams out east by the time his contract extension runs out. would hate to lose him.

I know I am forecasting quiet a bit here but I truly enjoy how Fletcher does business. I like that he is a gambling GM and will openly admit his faults. Would like to see him remain with the Wild till he retires if all goes well

LordFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 05:48 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Has been for almost 4 months, though.....

Old
06-22-2012, 06:44 PM
IronRangeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordFletcher View Post
correct. Leipold has confirmed he and Fletcher are working on an extension. It will happen, my guess will be a 3 year deal but sadly I would like to see it be more than 3, more like 5-7.

If Fletcher turns this around, which I believe he is on pace to do, he will get bigger offers from teams out east by the time his contract extension runs out. would hate to lose him.

I know I am forecasting quiet a bit here but I truly enjoy how Fletcher does business. I like that he is a gambling GM and will openly admit his faults. Would like to see him remain with the Wild till he retires if all goes well

Who knows, maybe it'll be a little longer than that? I hope so to, I think stability in a franchise is a must.