HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

v19: off-season '12 - Landry Fields agrees to offer sheet (3 years, 19 million)

Closed Thread

Old
06-26-2012, 01:03 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

vCash: 500
00 draft was just on NBATV.

My god that was an awful draft year. So many crappy players...

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
06-26-2012, 01:20 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

also saw a bit of the Heat parade/podium speech thingy. One of the players, either Wade or LeBron (wasn't watching too closely) was repeating "we shocked the world! we shocked the world!"

What?

No you ****ing didn't. You shocked the world last year when all your chest thumping and self-aggrandizing led you to choke in the finals and lose. This is not a shock. My god they're out of touch with reality.

Old
06-26-2012, 01:29 PM
Hyperglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
also saw a bit of the Heat parade/podium speech thingy. One of the players, either Wade or LeBron (wasn't watching too closely) was repeating "we shocked the world! we shocked the world!"

What?

No you ****ing didn't. You shocked the world last year when all your chest thumping and self-aggrandizing led you to choke in the finals and lose. This is not a shock. My god they're out of touch with reality.
It was probably Wade. I hate him.

Old
06-26-2012, 01:30 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
I guess Houston is stocking up picks to trade up.

5th overall
for
14th + 16th overalls + filler player

8th overall
for
Lowry + 18th overall

5th + 8th overall + young talent for Howard.

06-26-2012, 01:33 PM
Kamal007
God Level

vCash: 50
Pretty sure it was Juan Howard

Old
06-26-2012, 01:35 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:

What?

Exactly what I was thinking while watching

Oh noes, a stacked team won !?!!?!

Old
06-26-2012, 01:45 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft...nly-mock-draft

ESPN Magazine did a mock that was picked by members of each team. It's funny because players make weird choices that are either out of touch with what the team needs, out of touch with where that player ranks in the grand scheme of the draft, or are just plain self-interested. Of course, in most cases they seemingly just got the scrubbiest player on most teams.

1)NO - Anthony Davis (picked by Jason Smith)
2)CHA - Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (picked by Gerald Henderson)
3)WSH - Harrison Barnes (picked by Chris Singleton)
4)CLE - Andre Drummond (picked by Daniel Gibson)
5)SAC - Thomas Robinson (picked by Isiah Thomas)
6)POR - Jared Sullinger (picked by Nolan Smith)
7)GS - Tyler Zeller (picked by Stephen Curry)
8)TOR - Kendall Marshall (picked by Ed Davis)
9)DET - Meyers Leonard (picked by Ben Gordon)
10)NO - Austin Rivers (again picked by Jason Smith)
11)POR - Damian Lillard (again picked by Nolan Smith)
12)MIL - Jeremy Lamb (picked by Brandon Jennings)
13)PHX - Dion Waiters (picked by Robin Lopez)
14)HOU - Marquis Teague (picked by Patrick Patterson)
15)PHI - Arnett Moultrie (picked by Evan Turner)
16)HOU - Fab Melo (Patrick Patterson again)
17)DAL - Terrence Jones (picked by Jason Kidd)
18)MIN - John Henson (picked by Wayne Ellington before the Houston trade)
19)ORL - Bradley Beal (picked by J.J. Redick)
20)DEN - Kris Joseph (picked by Wilson Chandler)
21)BOS - Perry Jones III (picked by Avery Bradley)
22)BOS - Tony Wroten Jr (Avery Bradly again)
23)ATL - Terrence Ross (picked by Jeff Teague)
24)CLE - Royce White (Daniel Gibson again)
25)MEM - Henry Sims (picked by Tony Allen)
26)IND - Evan Fournier (picked by Tyler Hansbrough)
27)MIA - D'Aundray Brown (picked by Norris Cole)
28)OKC - Tomas Santoransky (picked by Nick Collison)
29)CHI - Khris Middleton (picked by Kyle Korver)
30)GS - Miles Plumlee (Stephen Curry again)

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft...nly-mock-draft

there are some really laughable choices. And a good case for why you don't let players influence front office decisions.

Old
06-26-2012, 01:48 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
I guess Houston is stocking up picks to trade up.

5th overall
for
14th + 16th overalls + filler player

8th overall
for
Lowry + 18th overall

5th + 8th overall + young talent for Howard.
If I'm toronto, I want the 16 over the 18, just for some extra flexibility. the the 14th, 18th and filler can go to Sacramento.

Old
06-26-2012, 02:31 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

I know there are some big Dion Waiters fans here (Nemesis I know for sure), but my question is: Does his apparent lack of athleticism worry you a bit? I just ask this because admittedly I'm only going off of youtube videos, and I know that's not a great way to judge talent, but he doesn't seem to have a very good motor from what I've seen. Seems a little on the thick side, at least "thick" in terms of an athlete.

As of right now I think I'd prefer Damian Lillard over him, but it doesn't appear he will make it past Portland.

I'm iffy on Jeremy Lamb. Seems like a great talent but is soft, and there are talks of some red flags related to injury.

06-26-2012, 02:36 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Quote:
If I'm toronto, I want the 16 over the 18, just for some extra flexibility. the the 14th, 18th and filler can go to Sacramento.
I don't think I'd haggle too much. The fact is, they need both trades to happen or It doesn't make sense.

The difference between the 16th and 18th is minimal, and if Sac-Town are insistent on getting the two higher picks for their 5th overall, I'd be fine with Lowry and 18th.

No use holding up the trade over 2 spots in a 'meh' draft. Fact is, I doubt there is much difference between the players picked 12-22. As long as we end up with Lowry, weather we're picking 16th or 18th isn't really of any importance to me.

Also, if Lillard is selected by the Kings, do we have any interest in Marcus Thornton? He'd probably be the most likely to be traded if Sac-Town chose Lillard to pair him with Reke.

Old
06-26-2012, 03:30 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I know there are some big Dion Waiters fans here (Nemesis I know for sure), but my question is: Does his apparent lack of athleticism worry you a bit? I just ask this because admittedly I'm only going off of youtube videos, and I know that's not a great way to judge talent, but he doesn't seem to have a very good motor from what I've seen. Seems a little on the thick side, at least "thick" in terms of an athlete.

As of right now I think I'd prefer Damian Lillard over him, but it doesn't appear he will make it past Portland.

I'm iffy on Jeremy Lamb. Seems like a great talent but is soft, and there are talks of some red flags related to injury.
I wouldn't call myself a Waiters "fan". I just like him more than teh other options. None of the players is really ideal for us. My concern with Lillard is just that he's too similar to Jerryd Bayless .

Quote:
I don't think I'd haggle too much. The fact is, they need both trades to happen or It doesn't make sense.

The difference between the 16th and 18th is minimal, and if Sac-Town are insistent on getting the two higher picks for their 5th overall, I'd be fine with Lowry and 18th.

No use holding up the trade over 2 spots in a 'meh' draft. Fact is, I doubt there is much difference between the players picked 12-22. As long as we end up with Lowry, weather we're picking 16th or 18th isn't really of any importance to me.

Also, if Lillard is selected by the Kings, do we have any interest in Marcus Thornton? He'd probably be the most likely to be traded if Sac-Town chose Lillard to pair him with Reke.
fair enough.

as for Thornton, I could see it, and I do like him, but he would have to come in on the 2nd unit unless you think he displaces DeRozan, and then you'd be going with Bayless/Thornton as your backcourt. That's awfully small.

Old
06-26-2012, 05:41 PM
Swervin81
No Honour for Connor

Quote:
00 draft was just on NBATV.

My god that was an awful draft year. So many crappy players...
I tend to find the 01 draft more amusing. Namely, the 1st overall pick.

Old
06-26-2012, 05:42 PM
Larcos_Unal

pretty sure the Raps will take the highest rated white guy....it's worked so well for them so far.

Old
06-26-2012, 06:10 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
I tend to find the 01 draft more amusing. Namely, the 1st overall pick.

yeah. 01 did produce some solid players though. Tyson Chandler, Pau Gasol, Jason Richardson, Joe Johnson, Shane Battier, Richard Jefferson, Zach Randolph, etc. And that's just the top 20.

What did 00 have in its top 20? Kenyon Martin, Mike Miller, Jamal Crawford, Hedo Turkoglu, Quinten Richardson, and Jamaal Magloire.

Yep, Jamaal Magloire and Quinten Richardson get to qualify as within the top 6 players selected in the first 20.

the 01 draft had 7 or 8 players that were either NBA all-stars or all-NBA selections. The 00 draft had 3 (Martin, Magloire, and Michael Redd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larcos_Unal View Post
pretty sure the Raps will take the highest rated white guy....it's worked so well for them so far.
riiiight. Wanna guess how often they've drafted a "white guy" in the first?

5 times in like 16 years (and about 18 or so picks in the 1st round). Alex Radojevic, Michael Bradley, Rafael Araujo, Andrea Bargnani, and Jonas Valanciunas And the first three were 7+ years ago. Never mind that Bargnani is a solid NBA player and Valanciunas looks like a stud center. So that basically boils it down to 3 "omg the raps draft crappy white guys!!!!11!" picks on which to base your comment.

Whether or not you want to argue that the Raptors have sucked at the draft, it's had nothing to do with what color the players they've drafted are.

Old
06-26-2012, 07:43 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Wow:

Quote:
Damian Lillard had an excellent workout with the Blazers earlier this month, according to two sources.

"It's the best workout we've had here since Kevin Durant," said another source.

The Blazers are interested in picking Lillard with the No. 6 selection, but Sacramento could pick him at No. 5.
Via Dwight Jaynes/CSNNW
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...s_Since_Durant

Old
06-26-2012, 07:48 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Detroit sends Ben Gordon and a 2013 (lottery protected) 1st round pick to Charlotte for Corey Maggette.

Old
06-26-2012, 08:11 PM
TheOtherSide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Detroit sends Ben Gordon and a 2013 (lottery protected) 1st round pick to Charlotte for Corey Maggette.
According to TSN its actually Detroit who is getting the 1st rounder.

Old
06-26-2012, 08:58 PM
Hyperglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherSide View Post
According to TSN its actually Detroit who is getting the 1st rounder.
TSN is wrong. Detroit is sending their future lottery protected 1st to the Bobcats with Ben Gorden for Corey Magette.

Cats easily win this trade. Dumars is a dumbass. What was he thinking? Does he think he can attract FA's now?

Old
06-26-2012, 09:15 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Quote:
Jonathan Givony Jonathan Givony ‏@DraftExpress

Sources say Houston has an offer of Lowry, the #14 and #16 picks for Tyreke Evans and the #5 pick on the table. Up to Sacramento to decide.
Damn it Houston! We want Lowry!

Old
06-26-2012, 09:19 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:

Noooooo! We can't really match that offer either. Evans sucks, but he has youngster "he still has potential" cache. We'd probably have to offer DeRozan, and that pretty much would bork us in terms of SG depth if that happened

Old
06-26-2012, 09:22 PM
TOCap1

Quote:
Think theres a chance they then fliP Tyreke to us for the 8th +

Old
06-26-2012, 09:46 PM
Swervin81
No Honour for Connor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOCap1 View Post
Why the **** would we want Tyreke?

Old
06-26-2012, 10:42 PM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOCap1 View Post
Dear god please no!!!!! Tyreke is not what Toronto needs especially with DD here. Evans doesn't want to play SF and having a SG who can't shoot and a SF who can't shoot is going to handicap your options. *I was referring to DD and TE*

Old
06-27-2012, 12:54 AM
Eytinge

Who's better, Demar or Tyreke? I know since his rookie year Evans has disappointed but Demar is nothing to get excited about either.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:15 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Who's better, Demar or Tyreke? I know since his rookie year Evans has disappointed but Demar is nothing to get excited about either.
I acutally just looked and by the #s they're shockingly similar. I'm just going to pull 2011-12 stats, but for the last 2 years they're putting up similar #s

PlayerPPGFG%3P%FT%RPGAPGSPGBPGTO/GPER
DeRozan16.7.442.261.8103.32.00.80.32.012.87
Evans16.5.453.202.7794.64.61.30.52.711.7

Most of the stat categories should be obvious. TO/G is turnovers per game (didn't want to write "TOPG" for some reason) and once again PER is Hollinger's Player Effectiveness Rating from ESPN.

Evans' assist #s are skewed somewhat by the Kings insistence on trying to make him into a point guard.

Both are also basically offensive black holes, gobbling up possessions and insisting on working one-on-one. Evans is overall a worse shooter (his FG% is buoyed by all the buckets he gets at the rim. DeRozan is the better jump shooter inside the arc) but gets to the basket to create offence better. Both are dreadful shooters from 3 point range too.

And Evans has perhaps shown more defensive upside so far, though DeRozan's athleticism should allow him to be a solid defender if he would just apply himself better. One other point in Evans' favor is his stronger rookie year (better overall stats than what he's posted the last two years), but at the same time, it's a negative insofar as Evans has regressed from year-to-year, while DeRozan has improved or held steady.

I'm not saying I'd love to swap the two, but I think at worst it really wouldn't make a difference in overall production.

and if this has to do with the whole Rockets/Kings/Raptors trade scenarios, I would not sacrifice the possibility of getting Lowry for Evans.

Closed Thread