HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

v19: off-season '12 - Landry Fields agrees to offer sheet (3 years, 19 million)

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2012, 02:34 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperglide View Post
TSN is wrong. Detroit is sending their future lottery protected 1st to the Bobcats with Ben Gorden for Corey Magette.

Cats easily win this trade. Dumars is a dumbass. What was he thinking? Does he think he can attract FA's now?
It's actually a win-win trade. Charlotte gets a future 1st to help them rebuild, and they've got such a **** team that their payroll has plenty of room to absorb Gordon's contract.

Meanwhile, Detroit gets out from under that awful deal that they signed Gordon to because Maggette's contract is up at the end of next season. Now all they have to do is amnesty Villanueva and they'll have upwards of $20 million in free cap space come the 2013 off-season. Whether they use that money to try and snag some free agents, or go out and look for other trades to fix the glaring holes in the roster, they're at least no longer working with the noose of those two awful, awful deals on their books.

Really, at the end of the day, the impact on the court was pretty much the farthest thing from either team's mind.

EDIT: on the subject of the draft, there are some mild rumors that with all the shuffling and whatnot going on in the top part of the lottery that Harrison Barnes could be the victim of a bit of a free fall all the way to 8. Not that I believe it, but it'd be awesome if it happened. Really, every scenario that seems to be plausible for the Raptors sits just fine with me. We keep the pick and take Waiters, that's cool. Lamb is less intriguing but I could live with it. Barnes slips and that's great, or we deal it for Lowry and I'm ecstatic. So long as Colangelo doesn't do something totally daft like draft Sullinger or, I dunno, Tyler Zeller or something that's a reach, or spend assets to trade up to like 6 or 7 for no reason, there really aren't any ways for the Raptors brass to screw us up on Thursday.

also, FWIW, ESPN's mock now has a 2nd round attached to it. They have us targeting Jared Cunningham and Khris Middleton with our picks. Obviously it's almost worthless to try and forecast the 2nd round since it's basically as wide open as you can get, but both players are intriguing. Cunningham is a hyper-athletic undersized (6'4-6'5) SG who scouts believe could be "a poor man's Russell Westbrook", and Middleton is a smart, dead-eye SF with a great mid-range game, just with some injury concerns and not superb athleticism (the comparison is Richard Hamilton).

The other mock I know with a 2nd round is nbadraft.net, and they have Darius Miller (a pure jump shooter with NBA 3 point range who lacks the ability to get to the basket on demand) and Canadian Robert Sacre (a solid defending true 7-foot C with a raw offensive game and limited athleticism)

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.

Last edited by The Nemesis: 06-27-2012 at 02:48 AM.
Old
06-27-2012, 12:53 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

So ESPN has an "experts" mock draft where a bunch of their basketball guys rotate through representing teams.

And David Thorpe picks for the Raptors....

Jared Sullinger.

And yes, this was donesince Sullinger was red-flagged for his back problems. He mentions it specifically and brushes them off.

Old
06-27-2012, 03:16 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Chad Ford thinks this talk of a big Sac-Hou trade that's 5+Evans for Lowry+14+16 is bunk. He believes that if the Rockets get the 5th pick, it would be for 2 of their teens picks plus another young prospect.

There area also reports that Houston has moved the 14 to Milwaukee along with Sam Dalembert for the 12, Jon Leuer, Jon Brockman, and Shaun Livingston.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/81...-bucks-move-12

So now the Rockets have 12, 16, and 18.

12 + 16 + Chandler Parsons to Sacramento for 5

and

Lowry + 18 to Toronto for 8?

I'd do it.

Old
06-27-2012, 03:25 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
I'd actually prefer Parsons to the 18th overall truth be told.

The guy would be a better option for us than whoever we bring in at 18. Parsons may not look like much, but I do think he has good potential. Better potential than what we could reasonably expect to find at 18.

06-27-2012, 04:38 PM
thatshype

Wow this is slightly OT, but in NBA2k12 for my created player career mode, I was drafted by the Pistons (PG), and just two days ago after ~25 games played, the computer traded Ben Gordon and Terrico White for Corey Maggette. Kinda coincidental I think. Of course we still have Hamilton's (on the rosters I have), Prince's, and Villanueva's contract dragging us down.

Old
06-27-2012, 07:54 PM
MrLegend28

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatshype View Post
Wow this is slightly OT, but in NBA2k12 for my created player career mode, I was drafted by the Pistons (PG), and just two days ago after ~25 games played, the computer traded Ben Gordon and Terrico White for Corey Maggette. Kinda coincidental I think. Of course we still have Hamilton's (on the rosters I have), Prince's, and Villanueva's contract dragging us down.
might not be coincidence since that game updates itself daily for rosters. maybe in the game it does deals that both teams find fair irl?

Old
06-27-2012, 08:01 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLegend28 View Post
might not be coincidence since that game updates itself daily for rosters. maybe in the game it does deals that both teams find fair irl?
roster updates are never applied to career/franchise modes in any sports games. It would cause too many headaches to iron out.

It's just a funny coincidence.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:02 PM
joffreyLUUPUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLegend28 View Post
Not exactly when the roster update happens and you already started a my player mode it doesn't translate over which really sucks. Also the game used to have a major trade issue where it would do weird trades which made absolutely no sense at all.

It was a pretty bad game, a really bad game lol

Old
06-27-2012, 09:22 PM
Kb21

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Chad Ford thinks this talk of a big Sac-Hou trade that's 5+Evans for Lowry+14+16 is bunk. He believes that if the Rockets get the 5th pick, it would be for 2 of their teens picks plus another young prospect.

There area also reports that Houston has moved the 14 to Milwaukee along with Sam Dalembert for the 12, Jon Leuer, Jon Brockman, and Shaun Livingston.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/81...-bucks-move-12

So now the Rockets have 12, 16, and 18.

12 + 16 + Chandler Parsons to Sacramento for 5

and

Lowry + 18 to Toronto for 8?

I'd do it.
either way, i believe houston wants to get into the top 5 so they can draft drummond and include him in a swap to orlando so that orlando can rebuild with another outstanding raw C. helping bury the loss of their all star C with the possibility of developing another one.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:01 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
So rumor has it, it's between us and Sac-Town for Lowry(who believes he'll be traded within 24 hours).

Sacremento rejected a trade which included Lowry + 14 + 16 for Hayes + 5th overall.

We're apparently reluctant to trade for Lowry too due to maybe having a realistic shot at Nash. ()

Old
06-27-2012, 10:06 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
So rumor has it, it's between us and Sac-Town for Lowry(who believes he'll be traded within 24 hours).

Sacremento rejected a trade which included Lowry + 14 + 16 for Hayes + 5th overall.

We're apparently reluctant to trade for Lowry too due to maybe having a realistic shot at Nash. ()

give 'em the 8, take Lowry and 16 or 18, and don't freaking look back.

I love Steve Nash, but Steve Nash won't be here in 3 or 4 years most likely. Lowry still easily can be.

If he ends up in Sacramento, fine. Because no matter what the package is we can't match the 5th pick in terms of value. But if it turns out we had him and BC said no because he's talking up Steve Nash, I'll be livid. I know I said that I'm fine with any scenario that turns out at the draft, and that's still true. In terms of what the draft gets us, be it a guy at 8 or Lowry and a later pick, I'll be happy. I would consider passing on Lowry because of some flight-of-fancy Nash possibility to be completely asinine.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:11 PM
Tonka
Diggles

I rather have Nash go to a contender. Would enjoy seeing him win the championship.

Come on Nash, go to OKC!

Old
06-27-2012, 10:16 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post

Isn't Nash like 38 years old? I get it, Nash in TO would be pretty cool but we're... uhh... umm... building for the future, aren't we? No guarantee he signs with us either.

But if they can get a SG or SF with that pick like Rudy Gay, and sign Nash, that's a heck a lot better than Lowry + 16/18th.

I won't be too disappointed if we don't get Lowry. Isn't a great scorer or passer, and doesn't shoot at a high percentage. He seems okay but nothing exceptional.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:23 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post

Isn't Nash like 38 years old? I get it, Nash in TO would be pretty cool but we're... uhh... umm... building for the future, aren't we? No guarantee he signs with us either.

But if they can get a SG or SF with that pick like Rudy Gay, and sign Nash, that's a heck a lot better than Lowry + 16/18th.

I won't be too disappointed if we don't get Lowry. Isn't a great scorer or passer, and doesn't shoot at a high percentage. He seems okay but nothing exceptional.
We're not getting Gay for the 8th without gutting some of our cheap talent. That's pretty much a pipe dream at this point.

and Lowry is greatly underrated. He's not necessarily an all-star PG, but he's a damn good starter, he's quick, he defends well (Casey will love this), he rebounds well for a little guy, and he can push the tempo.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:44 PM
Swervin81
Disgruntled Leaf Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka View Post
I rather have Nash go to a contender. Would enjoy seeing him win the championship.

Come on Nash, go to OKC!
To be stuck behind Westbrook? Let's face it, his only options are the Lakers or Heat as far as championships are concerned.

Oh, and let's get out there and nab Kyle Lowry. Get er done, BC!

Old
06-27-2012, 11:30 PM
Nazem Bozak

man if we got 18th, theres a pretty good shot we still could get sullener there to.. coming away with lowry and sullinger would be awesome

Old
06-27-2012, 11:32 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolai Schenn View Post
man if we got 18th, theres a pretty good shot we still could get sullener there to.. coming away with lowry and sullinger would be awesome
I know injury red flags can be much ado about nothing (DaJuan Blair), but back issues make me nervous as hell. That's not something that you can work around or overcome very easily if it's an ongoing, serious thing.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:08 AM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
To be stuck behind Westbrook? Let's face it, his only options are the Lakers or Heat as far as championships are concerned.

Oh, and let's get out there and nab Kyle Lowry. Get er done, BC!
Westbrook is a natural SG that's been forced to play PG in OKC. Nash would be a great pickup for them.

Nash-Westbrook-Durant-Ibaka-Perkins to start and end games with Nash-Westbrook-Harden-Durant-Ibaka.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:22 AM
Hyperglide

I'm really excited for the draft tomorrow. Can't wait to see who we pick up or if this pick gets moved. Either way should be interesting. Whose watching?

Old
06-28-2012, 01:36 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperglide View Post
I'm really excited for the draft tomorrow. Can't wait to see who we pick up or if this pick gets moved. Either way should be interesting. Whose watching?
I'll be flipping back and forth between it and the Jays game. Originally I thought the game was a road one in Anaheim which'd mean a late start and not overlapping with the draft. Sucks it didn't work out that way.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:37 AM
Kb21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Westbrook is a natural SG that's been forced to play PG in OKC. Nash would be a great pickup for them.

Nash-Westbrook-Durant-Ibaka-Perkins to start and end games with Nash-Westbrook-Harden-Durant-Ibaka.
when there were rumors of rondo for westbrook straight up and all NBA analysts shot it down saying it would be a terrible trade for OKC i thought to myself why.

durant clearly was not getting the ball enough, OKCs ability to run plays in the playoffs was very poor (often leading 1 on 1 plays) and westbrook just doesn't seem like a PG mentality mind.

i firmly believe if the trade was made OKC would of stood a better chance vs miami, albeit durant may of been double teamed the whole series, and in the long run with a pass first PG + an all star sharp shooting SF.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:38 AM
Hemskyfanboy83

I don't think Nash has much interest in joining a contending team as a complimentary piece.

I think he would rather join a team where he can still be a driving force. Toronto would actually be a pretty nice fit for him.

Old
06-28-2012, 05:44 AM
Vexxed14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
I don't think Nash has much interest in joining a contending team as a complimentary piece.

I think he would rather join a team where he can still be a driving force. Toronto would actually be a pretty nice fit for him.
Nash in Toronto...

Its a possible career path considering his new place in Basketball Canada. He may be thinking about coming back north of the border permanently.

He should be spending some time in the Toronto area (across all Canada but Toronto is pumping out elite talent right now) scouting. Team Canada's future is in the youth

Old
06-28-2012, 07:45 AM
Cool Hand Luke

Best case scenario (in my opinion):
1. Barnes falls to us at 8.

2. Trade Ed Davis and our late 2nd rounder to Houston for 16th overall.

3. Draft Barnes' fellow Tar Heel Kendall Marshall with 16. PG for the future.

4. Trade Calderon + other second rounder to Orlando for 19th overall.

5. Draft Canadian big Nicholson or Jared Sullinger (whomever is left) at 19th overall.

6. Sign Nash and FA center (Ian Mahinmi/Spencer Hawes/Omer Asik).

7. Re-sign Bayless.

Nash - Marshall - Bayless
Derozan - Bayless
Barnes - JJ - Klezia
Bargs - Amir - Nicholson/Sully
Mahinmi/Asik/Hawes - JV - Amir

Old
06-28-2012, 11:32 AM
Makaveli

I think Harrison Barnes is exactly what we need, hopefully he falls to us or we trade up to get him.

Closed Thread