HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

v19: off-season '12 - Landry Fields agrees to offer sheet (3 years, 19 million)

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2012, 02:17 PM
Dr.Funk

vCash: 1060
Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post
Are they going to rescind the Fields offer? I thought it was done only if Nash signed in to?

Not a fan of Nash btw.

Very, Very Unlikely that the offer is rescinded.

The offer was done to prevent the Knicks from using Fields in a sign & trade to Phoenix it no condidtions on Nash signing here.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:39 PM
Stephen

vCash: 500
Ugly situation with Nash pulling a Brad Richards on the Raptors. Oh well, screw him, a 38 year old addition like him was only really good for publicity anyway.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:41 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Swag View Post
Maybe we can hire Nash as our Gm when he retires.
Not really interested in giving "Captain Canada" a job when he's spurned the franchise as a player. Can't trust a BC Boy.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:41 PM
Hyperglide

Colangelo is done. They should just fire him now, instead of waiting the year for his contract to run out. I don't want him near this team for another year to eff up our roster anymore.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:42 PM
Dr.Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Not really interested in giving "Captain Canada" a job when he's spurned the franchise as a player. Can't trust a BC Boy.

How did he spurn us?

It's not like he agreed to sign he and then changed his mind.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:46 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk View Post
How did he spurn us?

It's not like he agreed to sign he and then changed his mind.
He rebuffed our advances. He should have come here to reinvigorate the NBA in Toronto and Canada. Instead he's going to New York to probably enjoy the nightlife. Some legacy as "Captain Canada." Too bad the Vancouver Grizzlies aren't around anymore...

Old
07-04-2012, 02:47 PM
Swervin81
Disgruntled Leaf Fan

Anyone thinking that the Nash move was forced onto BC by MLSE? I'm thinking that MLSE saw huge potential revenue from Steve Nash's name, and goaded BC into doing whatever possible to get Nash.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:50 PM
The Man in White

vCash: 126
Can't be mad at Nash. I wouldn't come here either until they hire a competent GM.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:51 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in White View Post
Can't be mad at Nash. I wouldn't come here either until they hire a competent GM.
The NBA's a joke. It's so funny their players seem to think Toronto is like Somalia or something ever since Vince Carter went full retard on us.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:52 PM
Miester

Quote:
He rebuffed our advances. He should have come here to reinvigorate the NBA in Toronto and Canada. Instead he's going to New York to probably enjoy the nightlife. Some legacy as "Captain Canada." Too bad the Vancouver Grizzlies aren't around anymore...
"One factor: people close to Nash say he wants his ex-wife to agree to move the kids to the city he chooses. They've lived in New York."

I highly doubt a 38 year old wants to go to NY for the "nightlife". You're acting like he said he'd come then decided to switch. He doesn't owe it to anyone to come here and "reinvigorate" basketball in TO. The management has ****ed it up themselves, don't put that on Nash.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:00 PM
The Man in White

vCash: 126
Quote:
The NBA's a joke. It's so funny their players seem to think Toronto is like Somalia or something ever since Vince Carter went full retard on us.
The NBA is a joke, but not for the reason you stated. No one wants to join a treadmill team with a terrible GM.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:13 PM
Darkhorse1280

Quote:
Wasn't one of the reasons Tracy McGrady left the Raptors because there was a lack of soul food restaurants in T.O.?

Wow, what a mature individual. Screw competing for a championship, his creature comforts come first. Kobe Bryant did an interview saying that if McGrady hadn't of left, that he thought that the Raps would of won at least 1 NBA title with that group of players at the time.

I also have to point out that the reason why Vince Carter initially wanted out of here was because the Raptors didn't hire his boyhood idol Dr. J as GM. That's when he started his silly assed temper tantrum.

This is why Basketball will never work in T.O. Not because of any lack of fan support (Raptors fans are some of the best in the league imo.) but because most NBA players are the most selfish and immature athletes out of any sport and they see Toronto as this "no mans land" type of city to play in, yet most NBA players love partying up here as they refer to TO as "White Vegas". Just as long as they don't have to live here, as a night without ESPN and them not being mentioned in any sports blurb in the US, would make a NBA player go stir crazy after awhile.

/rant.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:20 PM
Vexxed14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhorse1280 View Post
Wasn't one of the reasons Tracy McGrady left the Raptors because there was a lack of soul food restaurants in T.O.?

Wow, what a mature individual. Screwing competing for a championship, his creature comforts come first. Kobe Bryant did an interview saying that if McGrady hadn't of left, that he thought that the Raps would of won at least 1 NBA title with that group of players at the time.

I also have to point out that the reason why Vince Carter initially wanted out of here was because the Raptors didn't hire his boyhood idol Dr. J as GM. That's when he started his silly assed temper tantrum.

This is why Basketball will never work in T.O. Not because of any lack of fan support (Raptors fans are some of the best in the league imo.) but because most NBA players are the most selfish and immature athletes out of any sport and they see Toronto as this "no mans land" type of city to play in, yet most NBA players love partying up here as they refer to TO as "White Vegas". Just as long as they don't have to live here, as a night without ESPN and them not being mentioned in any sports blurb in the US, would make a NBA player go stir crazy after awhile.

/rant.
and yet the NBA is a much more popular league than the NHL. I find it hard to accept that the problem lays with the players alone.

I think trying to treat NBA players as if they are hockey players is a big part of the problem as well. Fans here have problems understanding the impact of injuries on a basketball player and have problems understanding the culture of the sport in general, which is different from hockey from the ground up.

I am not excusing the players fully but at the same time, I will not excuse the fans as well.

Considering all global sport, hockey is really the only one that is the way it is. All the others more closely resemble the NBA.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:20 PM
91Kadri91

I really don't see a problem with rebuilding.

I don't mean this mediocrity crap they've been doing for the past 4 years (excluding the 2010-2011 season), I mean a true rebuild.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:22 PM
Dr.Funk

"A league source said Jeremy Lin will be offered a contract today — maybe in the [four-year] $30 million range — in a back-loaded nature similar to the one the Rockets offered Bulls big man Omir Asik." (via CBSSports.com)

The source said the Rockets will offer Lin $5 million, $5.2 million and then plan to jack up the third and fourth years to as much as $10 million.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:25 PM
Darkhorse1280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexxed14 View Post
and yet the NBA is a much more popular league than the NHL. I find it hard to accept that the problem lays with the players alone.

I think trying to treat NBA players as if they are hockey players is a big part of the problem as well. Fans here have problems understanding the impact of injuries on a basketball player and have problems understanding the culture of the sport in general, which is different from hockey from the ground up.

I am not excusing the players fully but at the same time, I will not excuse the fans as well.

Considering all global sport, hockey is really the only one that is the way it is. All the others more closely resemble the NBA.

Probably because up until recently, America was never considered a dominant country when it came to hockey and churning out hockey players.

Americans don't like any sport that doesn't have a strong representation of their own countrymen playing in it.

So why would they embrace hockey?

Old
07-04-2012, 03:30 PM
Leahcim

Although there is a lot of hate on BC for his recent antics by the fans, I think there are a few scenarios where he may actually end up looking like a genius to the big wigs up at MLSE. However, Ed Stefanski surely had to help him with such clever moves which I conjecture.

So, what if the Nash offer was simply a smokescreen so that the Knicks would have to close the salary difference between their offer and ours? In doing so, the knicks are essentially committing another $10 million for the next three years.

I believe that with the inclusion of Anthony, Chandler, and Stoudemire, that's a total of $70 million locked up for the next three years. I am not a cap expert so someone would have to clarify the ramifications this would have on the mid-level exception, cap-space exemptions etc.

Still, that is still a huge amount of luxury tax especially since the CBA has changed to elevate it.

So, BC undoubtedly has plans to target Jeremy Lin which may or may not be a good idea from a basketball perspective, but from the business side, it's securing the number one cash cow in the league right now.

If BC were indeed to offer the $40 million contract with a backloaded design, the Knicks could severely paralyze themselves 2 years from now on locking up $85 million on 5 players.

So, I prithee BC that you get her done. To a lot of Asians, American media perpetuates a negative if any image of Asians and for me personally, it's wonderful to see someone rise to success in spite of this. And I bet MLSE will be laughing in a pool filled with bills which they'll not use to wipe their ***** because they'll have plenty extra to do that with as well

Old
07-04-2012, 03:52 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post
Like I said, if the GM of the men's Canadian basketball team wouldn't sign in Toronto at 38 for more money.. Why would you?

Unless you're a European or getting ridiculously overpaid, Toronto will always be known as that obscure place where free agents don't consider and drafted players can't wait to leave.
Or maybe just maybe Nash wants one final shot at winning it all. I know it's crazy that a guy signing what will be his last contract may actually want to win it all. One thing has nothing to do with the other. Sure it's a tougher sell to get guys to come to Toronto but with a losing history I can understand why. Just like the Clippers were a waste land forever and now they are finally a strong team. They are now a more desirable team to sign with. The raptors need to tank and draft high to get a superstar on their team to build around. They don't have anyone that fits that bill right now so no high profile player looks at the raps and says I want to play there. These guys want to win and they won't playing for the raptors right now.

Old
07-04-2012, 04:08 PM
Swervin81
Disgruntled Leaf Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Kadri91 View Post
I really don't see a problem with rebuilding.

I don't mean this mediocrity crap they've been doing for the past 4 years (excluding the 2010-2011 season), I mean a true rebuild.
Doesn't matter who our GM, this will never happen b/c MLSE is too stubborn.

Old
07-04-2012, 04:32 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

lol, BC is such a joke.

But I bet people will still tell me how he is so good and deserves to keep his job.

Old
07-04-2012, 04:38 PM
Eytinge

Isn't Wiggins Canadian? We should tank for him, he's gonna be a beast.

Old
07-04-2012, 04:46 PM
Paladin2799

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahcim View Post
Although there is a lot of hate on BC for his recent antics by the fans, I think there are a few scenarios where he may actually end up looking like a genius to the big wigs up at MLSE. However, Ed Stefanski surely had to help him with such clever moves which I conjecture.

So, what if the Nash offer was simply a smokescreen so that the Knicks would have to close the salary difference between their offer and ours? In doing so, the knicks are essentially committing another $10 million for the next three years.

I believe that with the inclusion of Anthony, Chandler, and Stoudemire, that's a total of $70 million locked up for the next three years. I am not a cap expert so someone would have to clarify the ramifications this would have on the mid-level exception, cap-space exemptions etc.

Still, that is still a huge amount of luxury tax especially since the CBA has changed to elevate it.

So, BC undoubtedly has plans to target Jeremy Lin which may or may not be a good idea from a basketball perspective, but from the business side, it's securing the number one cash cow in the league right now.

If BC were indeed to offer the $40 million contract with a backloaded design, the Knicks could severely paralyze themselves 2 years from now on locking up $85 million on 5 players.

So, I prithee BC that you get her done. To a lot of Asians, American media perpetuates a negative if any image of Asians and for me personally, it's wonderful to see someone rise to success in spite of this. And I bet MLSE will be laughing in a pool filled with bills which they'll not use to wipe their ***** because they'll have plenty extra to do that with as well
Lin would certainly make a lot of sense in toronto from a marketing/hype stand point. There are a lot of asians in toronto, and im sure they would love to see him playing in toronto. Big cash cow there in terms of advertisement.

I also think that if they do get lin, it opens up derozan to be moved for a SF.

Old
07-04-2012, 04:51 PM
Kb21

i still can't believe BC based our draft on getting nash. after the top two guys we wanted were gone he went to plan b and that looks to be a big mistake now. so instead of building through the draft as BC has said he would start doing last season we are now going to be stuck with a bench guy as our 8th pick and another SG that is over paid.

also i can't believe the knicks were willing to offer shupert to nash after how well he played last season and looked to be a younger version of ron artest. i would of offered up a few draft picks instead of him. their franchise is going to become as big of a joke as ours soon.

Old
07-04-2012, 04:54 PM
Dr.Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin2799 View Post
Lin would certainly make a lot of sense in toronto from a marketing/hype stand point. There are a lot of asians in toronto, and im sure they would love to see him playing in toronto. Big cash cow there in terms of advertisement.

I also think that if they do get lin, it opens up derozan to be moved for a SF.

I don't see what getting Lin would have to do with DD moving to SF.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:05 PM
Paladin2799

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk View Post
I don't see what getting Lin would have to do with DD moving to SF.
Lin is a SG isnt he? He would certainly take the #2 slot from DD.

Oh im wrong, he is a PG. never mind, wooo jeremy lin!

Closed Thread