HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

v19: off-season '12 - Landry Fields agrees to offer sheet (3 years, 19 million)

Closed Thread

Old
06-10-2012, 01:17 PM
Kb21

vCash: 500
I want barkley as our gm, he would find a way to make us relevent again.

Old
06-10-2012, 04:10 PM
Cage1080

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kb21 View Post
I remember quite a while back we were considering to hire Julius Erving as our General Manager. We hired Babcock instead...

Old
06-10-2012, 05:28 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kb21 View Post
Nothing in Barkely's history suggests he would be good as a GM. I don't think he's ever even had any sort of front-office experience. I find him entertaining and refreshing as an analyst, but I don't think it'd translate very well to a managerial role.

In other news, there's rumblings that the Bobcats might try and tempt the Grizzlies into trading Rudy Gay to them for the #2 pick.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
'14-15 Sharks CI Tracker: 57 GP, 18-28-11 (home-away-Nat'l/In-Region)
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
06-11-2012, 08:57 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

IF we keep the pick, what are peoples thoughts on SF/PF Terrance Jones of Kentucky?

06-11-2012, 09:48 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
IF we keep the pick, what are peoples thoughts on SF/PF Terrance Jones of Kentucky?
Meh. I don't like guys that project as 3/4 tweeners because usually it's code for "they're not quite big enough to be a proper 4, but not quick enough to be a full-time 3" Reminds me of a Michael Beasley type of player. Beasley's a perfectly fine NBA guy and great if you're running a small lineup the way, say, Phoenix used to when they would plug Marion in the 4 and Stoudemire at the 5. But that's not something you can do on a full-time basis, and that limits how effective these tweener types can be.

He's also got some shooting mechanic questions and can apparently turn into a chucker if the mood strikes him; hoisting up ill-advised jumpers from long range. Kinda like DeMar when he manages to hit an early 3 pointer, or how Sonny Weems used to be.

BTW, reading some rumors and whatnot and all that talk about Dion Waiters getting a guarantee that someone'll draft him? Word now is that it's Phoenix that has promised to pick him if he falls to 13.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:34 AM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Meh. I don't like guys that project as 3/4 tweeners because usually it's code for "they're not quite big enough to be a proper 4, but not quick enough to be a full-time 3" Reminds me of a Michael Beasley type of player. Beasley's a perfectly fine NBA guy and great if you're running a small lineup the way, say, Phoenix used to when they would plug Marion in the 4 and Stoudemire at the 5. But that's not something you can do on a full-time basis, and that limits how effective these tweener types can be.

He's also got some shooting mechanic questions and can apparently turn into a chucker if the mood strikes him; hoisting up ill-advised jumpers from long range. Kinda like DeMar when he manages to hit an early 3 pointer, or how Sonny Weems used to be.

BTW, reading some rumors and whatnot and all that talk about Dion Waiters getting a guarantee that someone'll draft him? Word now is that it's Phoenix that has promised to pick him if he falls to 13.
Funny he would cancel his workouts tho, I could see refusing to work out for cretin teams that he feels would be late picking. I honestly don't like Waiters at the 8th spot but what ever, I would prefer to take BPA and if he's projected as the BPA at the time when we pick then cool.

Old
06-12-2012, 05:18 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post

Fair enough, his potential is high but agreed he needs some polishing.

I still really hope the Raptors take PF Andrew Nicholson if given the chance. His potential as a stretch 4 is quite intriguing.

Regarding Waiters, I think unfortunately we were the ones who gave him the guarantee.

Ideally though, we trade for both Lowry and Gay. With Boston aging(and losing one of the big 3), Amare's knees continuing to give out(and Lin not doing as well as this season), the potential for the Raptors to get into the playoffs might be the best next season.

Hopefully BC can be aggressive.

Old
06-13-2012, 01:56 AM
MrLegend28*

Quote:
Fair enough, his potential is high but agreed he needs some polishing.

I still really hope the Raptors take PF Andrew Nicholson if given the chance. His potential as a stretch 4 is quite intriguing.

Regarding Waiters, I think unfortunately we were the ones who gave him the guarantee.

Ideally though, we trade for both Lowry and Gay. With Boston aging(and losing one of the big 3), Amare's knees continuing to give out(and Lin not doing as well as this season), the potential for the Raptors to get into the playoffs might be the best next season.

Hopefully BC can be aggressive.
I heard somewhere it was Phoenix who said it

Old
06-13-2012, 08:17 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Apparently, Austin Rivers has a guarantee from a late lottery team. 6"5 combo gaurd with great one on one skills, lethal shot, and can create off the dribble. Sign me up. Apparently cocky as hell too. We could use some swag.

Old
06-13-2012, 01:40 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Joe Quimby View Post
Apparently, Austin Rivers has a guarantee from a late lottery team. 6"5 combo gaurd with great one on one skills, lethal shot, and can create off the dribble. Sign me up. Apparently cocky as hell too. We could use some swag.
There are some holes in Rivers' game that concern me. He's not an elite athlete, so he's going to have some problems beating guys one-on-one (which takes away a big chunk of his most marketable high-level skill) He's not a very committed or capable defender. He's got a rep for being selfish and willing to hoist up terrible shots to try and get himself out of a slump. Or just take questionable shots in general.

Old
06-13-2012, 02:12 PM
Eytinge

Hell no to Rivers. Give me Marshall or Lillard over him.

Old
06-13-2012, 03:00 PM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Hell no to Rivers. Give me Marshall or Lillard over him.
Marshall has horrible athleticism and Lillard is a shoot first point gaurd from a terrible conference. It would be great if one of the small forwards (Kidd-Gilchrest or Barnes) fell to us, but with that highly unlikely, it looks like a lot of guys with a lot of flaws.

Old
06-13-2012, 03:14 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Marshall has horrible athleticism and Lillard is a shoot first point gaurd from a terrible conference. It would be great if one of the small forwards (Kidd-Gilchrest or Barnes) fell to us, but with that highly unlikely, it looks like a lot of guys with a lot of flaws.
you don't have to be a great athlete to be a good pass-first point guard. Of course, in those cases you need to be able to shoot and there are some issues for Marshall in that regard, but you can run an offence without being able to beat guys off the dribble at will.

Old
06-13-2012, 06:02 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

So Bill Ingram at Hoopsworld claims we have interest in Tyreke Evans:

Quote:
The Toronto Raptors are also aggressively shopping for a star-caliber small forward, and have been tied to talks surrounding Tyreke Evans and Andre Iguodala. They have now also reportedly added Gay to their wishlist.
Chad Ford speculated that the Bulls would be interested in moving into the top-10, and a trade would be:

Deng + 29th overall
for
Calderon + 8th overall

Old
06-13-2012, 06:08 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
So Bill Ingram at Hoopsworld claims we have interest in Tyreke Evans:

Chad Ford speculated that the Bulls would be interested in moving into the top-10, and a trade would be:

Deng + 29th overall
for
Calderon + 8th overall
I think Calderon has more value than Deng. Not sure why Raps would want Deng at all.

Old
06-13-2012, 06:32 PM
Joey24

Quote:
Hes selfish and there is a reason he went from being considered the top payer in the country to where he is ranked now. The guy should never have opted to enter the draft this year has holes in his game that could have been better fixed in college. Skill wise he's got elite scoring ability and is a great ball handler. I would hardly consider him a team player and he's not that great from the line for a guy who can hit from anywhere on the floor. As for defense most times he doesn't even look like hes trying and little to no effort, so it's not exactly like you can teach the defensive aspects if he's doesn't buy into it.

On the flip side I personally don't think there is a better scorer or maybe I should say pure scorer in the draft. The guy can drive and has amazing 1 on 1 skills he can hit from anywhere as anyone who saw him play can confirm. And he's got under-rated play making ability when he actually passes the ball. I guess you can contribute this to being young and extremely cocky, from memory the last guy I remember coming into the league that was as cocky as this kid was Kobe.

Personally I think in the right situation Rivers will thrive but he's going to need someone to ride him hard imo, maybe it's coach Casey maybe Jose if he's still around? Can't be players whoa re still trying to find their games like Bargs or DD. I personally don't think Toronto would be the best place for this kid to thrive mentally but I am really only talking by personal opinion and maybe i'm wrong who knows.

Old
06-13-2012, 06:37 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
I think Calderon has more value than Deng. Not sure why Raps would want Deng at all.
Deng can play defense, be a legit threat from the wing. I'd take him over Calderon, IMO.

Old
06-13-2012, 06:40 PM
Joey24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Yea Dang is a good player and one of the main reasons the bulls did so well when Rose went down in the regular season. He's also 27 so it's not like he's going to expand on what he already is. Toronto is better off trying to either move Jose in a separate deal and use the 8th on a prospect or keep both and watch Jose walk next summer for free.

There is honestly no benefit for Toronto in this trade and to be honest that's what kinda scares me most because with BC's track record it's seems like a trade he's accustom to making. Lets hope it's only a rumor and BC has not even remotely considered this deal or any like it.

Old
06-13-2012, 06:44 PM
samwitch

Lol @ Jim Rome asking David Stern if the draft lottery is fixed. Good for him!

Old
06-13-2012, 06:51 PM
Joey24

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwitch View Post
Lol @ Jim Rome asking David Stern if the draft lottery is fixed. Good for him!
Everyone knows it's got to be I mean common.... but he's not going to admit it... I don't understand why these things are not public and even out sourced with the kind of money that's thrown around in these drafts.

Old
06-13-2012, 07:19 PM
Leafsforlife98

Quote:
I have my doubts Nash would consider us truth be told. He's said that he'd consider Miami if they came calling, if by chance the Celtics beat them in game 7, I could see them pursuing Nash and Nash accepting.
I really don't see him going to Miami and getting paid a veteran's minimum or mid level exception, when Brian Colangelo is probably gonna throw at least 10 million a year on a better term at him.

Old
06-13-2012, 08:49 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsforlife98 View Post
I really don't see him going to Miami and getting paid a veteran's minimum or mid level exception, when Brian Colangelo is probably gonna throw at least 10 million a year on a better term at him.
If Steve Nash wants a championship, going to Miami almost guarantees him a championship. Him passing to Lebron James and Dwayne Wade would be something else. Nash doesn't even like to shoot the ball.

Old
06-13-2012, 09:42 PM
Eytinge

Why are the Bulls trying to trade Deng? He fits with their team identity and is a very good defender.

And since when is Tyreke a small forward? Isn't he a SG/PG?

Old
06-13-2012, 09:50 PM
FifthLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Why are the Bulls trying to trade Deng? He fits with their team identity and is a very good defender.

And since when is Tyreke a small forward? Isn't he a SG/PG?
he was kind of in a similar situation to Demar for us. He started as a PG, they didn't like his game there, so they switched him to SG and he rotated between SG and SF through out the year. I would definitely want him as our shooting guard, great scorer.

Calderon/bayless
Evans/Derozan
Derozan/Johnson
Bargs/Amir
Val/Vet

Old
06-14-2012, 12:21 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

ESPN Mock 7.0 is out now. Still has Waiters to the Raptors

1) NO - Davis
2) Cha - Robinson
3) Wsh - Kidd-Gilchrist
4) Cle - Beal
5) Sac - Drummond
6) Por - Lillard
7) GS - Barnes
8) Tor - Waiters
9) Det - Henson
10) NO - Sullinger

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft...raft-version-7

Also still has Andrew Nicholson to Boston at 22.

Closed Thread