HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avs Re-sign McLeod for 3 years, see post #45 for the official link

Old
06-05-2012, 04:59 AM
Drury_Sakic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
Yeah....Another thing that strikes me as odd is everyone seems to assume McGinn and Downie are both top 2 line forwards. Both of them were traded to us. I know both trades involved different pieces and both trades made me more a fan of the AVs front office but still...I'm not completely sure both players are going to be top-six when all is said and done. I like Downie more because I see some Claude Lemieux in him...I want some bite and unpredictability in the top six. At least one guy that has other players always looking over their shoulders. McGinn to me is nothing more than Jones v.2. Maybe a line of Stastny and McGinn and Jones can click for a full season...I'm not sold and willing to bet the season on it though.
It is also worth noting that the Avs have 3 centers that need linemates, if only to keep them happy.

Basically, the Avs need at least one skill player to play with each of Duchene, Stastny, and O'Reilly.

Hell, if the Avs did decide to go for Parise, there is still more than enough room. McGinn could play with Duchene and Parise-Stastny-Jones could be a line. McGinn-Stastny-Parise also would be a great line. Parise could also play with Duchene and Hejduk.

McGinn-Stastny-Parise
Lando-Duchene-Hejduk
Jones-O'Reilly-Downie
McLeod-McClemmet-Malone/Kobasew

Not saying the Avs WILL or even SHOULD sign Parise, but if they did, that is the lineup I would go with. I could also see both McGinn and Downie on the 3rd line with O'Reilly and Jones playing with Stastny and Parise.

Point being, even if Jones is kept, there is more than enough room to add Parise or another top 2 line winger and ice a lineup that works.

Drury_Sakic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 06:07 AM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Not unhappy McLeod is coming back, but I am unhappy that we gave him a 3 year deal.

I don't really believe he played well enough and consistently enough for a long term deal. But it's an example of the Avs taking care of their vets and the guys they love, regardless of performance.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 06:26 AM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 1100
I find it hard to care one way or another. For what McLeod does, the money is fine, and the length doesn't really matter to me as at that price and for his role he can be traded.

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 06:54 AM
Stories
Hockey scientist

So... yeah, like, whatever.

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 06:55 AM
DRL
Streak killers!

Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
Solid signing. I thought they may been parting ways, but I think its always smart to retain guys.

If guys like malone and bordleau are ready, guys can always be waived or traded. We need to make the rookies earn their spot like shattenkirk did few yrs ago. Look what happened when we handed elliot a spot and he wasn't ready. Looked out of place.

Avs have a solid core. Need some top 4 D and if they can get a top 6 winger, get him. But retain as many guys 1st in case we don't land any big fishes.

DRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 07:56 AM
GamingGiant

Solid signing.

Cap hit seems about what I honestly would expect.

Would have liked to have a 2 year deal instead, but whatever.

GamingGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 10:09 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

What is the big deal over keeping him 3 years? If anything everybody should be happy about this because it shows the Avs are willing to keep around the players they like. It shows they value their role players. Cap hit is slightly above what I would have liked, but it is nothing to worry about.

The best part about this is that it keeps Malone in Lake Erie for another year. At the end of last season it sounded like Malone started finding his offensive game down there. Give him another year or two to develop that and maybe he can become a solid 3rd line option instead of forcing him into being a 4th liner.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:11 AM
AvalancheFan19

McLeod is a beauty. Forechecks hard, will drop the mitts for a teammate and seems like a quality teammate on and off the ice. No idea why people would even question his contract, so there's someone better than him out there? Big deal. At least this shows the Avalanche that management likes to keep a consistent team together when they like the guy. Not the best thing in the world, but solid. Next, Silent Jay.

AvalancheFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:36 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Don't mind this at all. Teams need guys like him. Sure he takes stupid penalties, but he fills his role as an agitator and fighter. This team needs more toughness still and losing McLeod would have been a bigger blow than people realize.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Razor29
52-22-8

vCash: 50
I don't mind this but there are better role players that could be had imo. McLeod doesn't really do anything well.

Razor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:40 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Don't mind this at all. Teams need guys like him. Sure he takes stupid penalties, but he fills his role as an agitator and fighter. This team needs more toughness still and losing McLeod would have been a bigger blow than people realize.
Yep. The Devils actually need a player like McLeod in last night's game in the 3rd period. Not to change the outcome of that game but to send a message for game #4 and they don't really have anyone like that.

[Not that it would make a difference in the series anyways, the Kings are the better team]

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:41 AM
Drij

This singing shows us that the avs are gonna start signing players to longer deals.

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:45 AM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
This singing shows us that the avs are gonna start signing players to longer deals.
This may definitely be the case.

A bit surprised to see Cody Mac get 3 years, but obviously the Avs like him and even consider him a leader as he's worn the "A" on his jersey before.

iAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:50 AM
cyberfan
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm ok with the money aspect. Would have prefer 2 years but whatever. At that amount he won't be too hard to trade or we can always buy him out and it would cost us only around 600K per year...not a big deal.

Let Malone earn his spot.

cyberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 12:04 PM
GamingGiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
Fingers crossed that theory holds true with ROR, Dutchy, and EJ.

GamingGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 12:09 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
It's a good sign to see the team rewarding a guy with a fairly long term deal because it's a loyalty thing. McLeod loves the organization and is a big presence in the room.

Sets a good standard for guys like Landy, Duchene and RoR as far as what they can expect in that regard.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 04:33 PM
niwotsblessing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfan View Post
I'm ok with the money aspect. Would have prefer 2 years but whatever. At that amount he won't be too hard to trade or we can always buy him out and it would cost us only around 600K per year...not a big deal.

Let Malone earn his spot.
We're accustomed to seeing players like O'Reilly, Duchene and Landeskog stepping right into the NHL and fitting, we forget that many players benefit from a year or two in the AHL. Malone, being a college player, never played as many games in one season as he did last year. Spending time in LEM is a necessary developmental step for him, when he is ready to play in the NHL he will. Until then Highlander can hold down a role on the 4th line.

niwotsblessing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 04:37 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by niwotsblessing View Post
We're accustomed to seeing players like O'Reilly, Duchene and Landeskog stepping right into the NHL and fitting, we forget that many players benefit from a year or two in the AHL. Malone, being a college player, never played as many games in one season as he did last year. Spending time in LEM is a necessary developmental step for him, when he is ready to play in the NHL he will. Until then Highlander can hold down a role on the 4th line.
It also allows Malone to develop his offensive game instead of getting pigeon-holed into a fourth line checker. Really like this re-signing, McLeod looked good down the stretch (for what he is), and is very important for the leadership of the team.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 09:58 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxOfChocolates View Post
Im not going to judge this deal until I see which Cody Mcleod we get this season. He was complete **** the first couple of months but he picked up his game during the second half.
I agree that he was much better in the second half. He seemed to have a better feel for where the line was when it came to hitting as the season went along.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 05:41 PM
madman
Deadmarsh Deli Dills

lame

madman is offline   Reply With Quote