HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official MLB Thread - Part V (Santana throws first no-hitter in Mets history)

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2011, 03:01 AM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Official MLB Thread - Part V (Santana throws first no-hitter in Mets history)

continue here

Old
12-05-2011, 05:50 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

vCash: 500
Been a Mets fan for a long, long time ('75 or so) and am completely done with this team until there's new ownership in place. I didn't watch a single game last year and am even less inclined to do so now that Reyes is going elsewhere. What a joke this organization has become.

Old
12-05-2011, 05:57 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Sucks for Mets fans, he signed with the Marlin's, six years at $106 million.

Old
12-05-2011, 06:27 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Is Reyes leaving really a surprise? Only the big Met fans thought Reyes was coming back. The Mets are getting a sandwich pick and a 3rd round pick for Reyes.

Quote:
The official explains:

"The old system still governs the pick assignments. So, yes, one of the picks slides to the third round, and the former club losing the player with the higher Elias score would pick first (i.e., San Diego gets the second-round pick because Bell's score is 81.4. The Mets get the third-round pick because Reyes's score is 77.2).
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/met...pick-for-reyes

When Alderson and his Moneyball lieutenants took over last November,Reyes was a goner. They weren't big dollars on a SS who relies on his legs.

Quote:
Batting Average and Stolen Bases Are Overrated

A basic Moneyball tenet is that batting average is not a good indicator of a hitter's value; on-base percentage and OPS are much more reliable measurements. Additionally, attempting to steal a base is a mathematically risky proposition that should generally be avoided. Henceforth, players with high averages and high stolen-base totals -- particularly those with low OBPs -- are usually overrated.

Sandy Alderson applied this tenet when Jose Reyes requested a conversation regarding a contract extension prior to spring training. Though the speedy shortstop stole plenty of bases and hit for a fairly high average, Alderson cited Reyes' low OBP in 2010 and recent injury history to deny the request, saying, "we'll wait and see" what happens in the 2011 season. As it turned out, Reyes had a career year, leading the NL in hitting for much of the season and posting a career-high OBP. Did Alderson make a mistake by not negotiating with Reyes at a time when the team held considerable leverage? Or was it a smart move, since Reyes did have some hamstring issues and, in turn, his stolen-base total reduced significantly?
http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...-so-successful

I am not a Met fan so there is no emotion with Reyes leaving but the Mets are better off long term without him. Looking at his history of legs. Getting older. Security of long term contract. The Marlins will regret the contract in a few years.

Old
12-05-2011, 07:24 AM
Brunomics

First off **** the Wilpons. I get that they are going on the cheap and as much as I'm not ok with that as a consumer I just won't give them my money. But to get absolutely nothing for Jose Reyes just goes to show how inept as an organization they are. It doesn't matter how much or how little you get for him but don't let him walk away with getting anything in return. That is beyond shortsighted for this miserable organzation. Just so disgusted with them right now.

Old
12-05-2011, 07:42 AM
Zil

I said it back during the season: They should have traded Reyes for prospects when they had the chance.

Old
12-05-2011, 08:43 AM
mattyd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
I said it back during the season: They should have traded Reyes for prospects when they had the chance.
This is what I'm most angry about. The Wilpons kept him around for ticket sales. Simple as that. I really hope people stop giving their money to these people. Why should I have to suffer because theyre in legal trouble. Just when you think ownership can't F the team up any more, they do. I guess there's always another team in New York to root for, one that cares about it's fans.

Old
12-05-2011, 08:54 AM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Haven't wanted him back since the middle of his great first half last year.

Happy to be rid of the inconsistant, selfish, overrated POS that Reyes is. This will turn out to be a TERRIBLE contract.

Can't wait to hear him booed.

Old
12-05-2011, 12:34 PM
useref15

I guess kaneone was the only one that understands what I said in the other thread.

Old
12-05-2011, 12:55 PM
NYRKING30

so mad he wasnt traded, he would have brought back 4 or 5 pieces. the mets still receive 2 first rounders right? hopefully wright picks it up next year and they trade him too, same for bay even though he has 2 years left.

Old
12-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Machinehead
★★★★

No need to shed tears over Reyes. He was a good player but I didn't like his character. To me the only issue here is the Mets didn't trade him for a return, instead they just lost him.

By going to the Marlins it shows Reyes A)Had no desire to be a Met and B) Is an idiot because he left a ****** team that at least had the best fans in the business to go to an equally ****** team that gets 2,000 people a night.

Old
12-05-2011, 04:22 PM
useref15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
at least had the best fans in the business to go to an equally ****** team that gets 2,000 people a night.
Are you sure? Because, everything I've read on hear proves the opposite. Now these "fans" won't follow the Mets or give them another dollar.

Old
12-05-2011, 04:24 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

I don't give Isles fans flak because it's ridiculous what they have to put up with. You really wouldn't understand unless you were a fan of either the Isles or Mets the **** that you have to deal with.

12-05-2011, 04:25 PM
Machinehead
★★★★

Quote:
Originally Posted by useref15 View Post
Are you sure? Because, everything I've read on hear proves the opposite. Now these "fans" won't follow the Mets or give them another dollar.
That's all a bunch of smoke blowing if you ask me. Come April everyone on here will be watching their Mets as per usual. Now to not go to games so as to not feed the ownership more money is one thing. That's acceptable. I expect some of that to go down but the Mets fans will always follow the Mets, even if it's just watching them on the tube. Basically it comes down to loyalty, and that can't be measured in attendance. I only mention the Marlins attendance because A) It's at a ridiculous outlying level and B) Because that's what the players see.

Old
12-05-2011, 05:05 PM
Swedish Fish
CONQUERED

Do the Marlins have a new owner? I know they have a new stadium but how can they afford Hanley, Reyes, Bell and potentially Pujols?

Old
12-05-2011, 09:11 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Fish View Post
Do the Marlins have a new owner? I know they have a new stadium but how can they afford Hanley, Reyes, Bell and potentially Pujols?
Nope, it's still Loria. He's claiming they're going to be reeling in cash with the new stadium. I'm skeptical to say the least.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:54 PM
Machinehead
★★★★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Nope, it's still Loria. He's claiming they're going to be reeling in cash with the new stadium. I'm skeptical to say the least.
Doesn't someone actually have to, you know, walk into said stadium?

Old
12-05-2011, 09:59 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Doesn't someone actually have to, you know, walk into said stadium?
They are attracting big name players in a hope that the fans will roll in. Miami fans are the ultimate bandwaggoners. When the Heat turned to **** after the championship, and the fans did not return until last season. Bring in the big names and the people will come

Last edited by Swept In Seven: 12-05-2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old
12-05-2011, 10:01 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
They are atracting big name players in a hope that the fans will roll in. Miami fans are the ultimate bandwaggoners. When the Heat turned to **** after the championship, and the fans did not return until last season. Bring in the big names and the people will come
Yeah, I can't stand Florida sports teams.

Old
12-05-2011, 10:29 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Marlins fans are delusional.

Once Loria gets ****ed by the SEC investigation he'll sell the entire team off.

I've only been following baseball seriously for a year but even I know how he ****ed the Expos.

Old
12-05-2011, 10:35 PM
OverTheCap

There are tons of Yankees, Mets, and other transplanted fans in southern Florida. That's part of the reason why the Marlins have always struggled financially, despite winning 2 World Series. I don't think the new stadium will help that much.

Also, the Marlins are now being investigated by the SEC because the county decided to fund 80% of the new stadium without even looking at the team's financial records, and there is suspicion that there may have been bribes: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...easance_120211

I just don't see this ending well for Loria and the Marlins.

Old
12-05-2011, 11:55 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKING30 View Post
so mad he wasnt traded, he would have brought back 4 or 5 pieces. the mets still receive 2 first rounders right? hopefully wright picks it up next year and they trade him too, same for bay even though he has 2 years left.

Sandwich pick and a 3rd rounder. If Marlins didnt sign Bell, that would've been sandwich pick and 2nd rounder.

Not a bad compensation, they can still luck out with that sandwich pick in what appears to be relatively deep draft (not as deep as 2011). Unfortunately when Beltran fetches you a high upside arm like Wheeler, imagine what a guy who had MVP-type season would bring back.

Old
12-06-2011, 01:32 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I'm pissed off that they didn't trade Reyes during the season, but how can you be angry at the Mets for letting him go to Florida? That's a horrible contract for an inconsistent, oft-injured player who had his best season in his contract year.

**** you, Reyes. Let's see what the Marlins say when one of his next three seasons he barely plays, and another, he just puts up subpar numbers. No one actually expects him to do what he did last year every year, do they?

Old
12-06-2011, 08:21 AM
Reijo R

Quote:
Originally Posted by useref15 View Post
Well, I'M sure. The Mets still drew over 2 million fans despite putting out a crappy product and the Madoff threat hanging over their heads. Mets fans put up with a lot of garbage and always answer the bell. Some of the best fans in the game, hands down.

P.S. I'd have to say the best fans are in St. Louis.

Old
12-06-2011, 10:22 AM
Nyrvana

I'm not going to kill the Mets for not trading Reyes. When Alderson was asked the question he said,

“Not really. We’re talking about one of the outstanding players in the game, but he still would have been a three-month player at that point. So there’s still some limits to what we realistically would have gotten back, so I don’t have any regrets about that, no.”

We did get a supplemental pick between the first and the second drafts and anther pick which I don't think is that less than what we would've gotten for Reyes.

Also, you have to believe that the Mets actually thought they could resign Reyes. Reyes didn't tell them anything and who knew he was just looking for a pay day? A 6 year 106 million contract is ridiculous money for a often injured player that is getting older and relies on his legs so much.

Closed Thread