HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Martin Brodeur Appreciation

Old
06-04-2012, 10:49 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

vCash: 500
We have some vets who have been abysmal the whole playoffs which didn't matter until now. Not saying any names.

Marty is not one of them. It's funny people were giving him a hard time over every goal he gave up. We win the game 4-1? How come Marty didn't stop that!? Shutout or nothing!

He's not been one of those disappointing players. That's why he's the best. If we lose I won't say he solely carried us or even did at all this whole playoffs, but we can say he was easily our best player. Elias is he still alive? Parise uh? Kovy should be in a wheelchair now the poor guy.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:05 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevilsFan21 View Post
To be honest, the entire team deserves an appreciation thread. Who thought we were going to the in the SCF, at any time at all this season?

They ran out of gas, and LA is too good. Plain and simple. They're dominating us just like they dominated every other team they played.
Yeah but don't post a team appreciation thread till after the series is over, there's almost a riot on NJDevs now cause a couple of people there did that.

This is definitely acceptable though, Marty restored everyone's faith and finally stuck it to the critics once and for all, whatever may come. He's turned back the clock since Game 7 against Florida. Thank god we weren't taken out in six games or it would have been a different narrative.

NJDevs26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:07 PM
Sir Fenwick Corsi
N U M B E R S

Finally a ****ing thread that does this man justice.

I love hockey with every fiber of my being. I get that that there are more important things in life but my selfish passion in this world is hockey and the New Jersey Devils. The reason for that is because of Martin Brodeur. If not for him, I honestly don't know if I'm posting this right now. It's been an honor watching him throughout his entire career and I hope game 4 is not his last for multiple reasons.

Plain and simple. If you don't respect what Martin Brodeur means to this franchise, than you're no true fan of this team. He is simply one of the greatest players in the HISTORY OF THIS SPORT and he's worn OUR logo from start to finish. Nothing but respect for him and that will never change.

Sir Fenwick Corsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:11 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Questioning Marty was legit. He hasn't been this far in a while hasn't played this many games in YEARS, and how old he is. I guess he really has played about as many games this year when you compare to those years he played 75 games, and we were out in the first round in 5 games.

Also glad to see he got the best of Lundqvist. He had better numbers than Lundqvist in our series, and Marty's stats weren't miles better simply because Lundqvist had two shutouts in the only two games they won.

Old
06-04-2012, 11:14 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

The haters hated, but once Marty started playing on a consistent basis his game picked up this season and he was a huge reason why we are where we are today as has been the case since he played his first game with us

Just enjoy every game that he plays from here on out because you'll never get to see a goalie of this caliber again

Wingman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:18 PM
engy

vCash: 344
It's hard to give him a pass for this game especially when he gave up 4 goals even though the defense was bad. I'm not going to detail every goal but giving up 2 rebounds right to the Kings plus misreading the pass off Richards to Carter doesn't help in giving them a chance to win the game.

He's been good at times and there were definitely facepalm moments. All in all, an average playoffs. Devils outscored the opponent just enough in the first 3 rounds to overlook his mistakes.

engy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:19 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

A lot of people said he shouldn't be a starter anymore, but you're right. The more he played the better he was. He wasn't very good before the ASB. Still made the big saves, but let in a lot of weak ones. Didn't know if it was because he wasn't 100 percent after that injury or what. Post ASB he put up Vezina caliber goaltending. Let's be serious in the games we lost a lot of the times like the 5-2 loss to Pittsburgh on St Patty's Day he even looked great. Especially when the Pens were playing like they should have beaten us 15-2 that day. Every shot was high quality. Same with the Bruins game we lost 4-3 in OT.

He may not be the hottest goalie in the league stat wise anymore, but let's be serious here. He constantly makes the bigger saves night after night for the most part out of himself, and the guy on the other side. Doesn't mean he makes the most saves or always wins, but he's usually the highlight reel goalie of the game.

Old
06-04-2012, 11:23 PM
Fayne Staley
Deboer is great

Holy **** this is an appreciation thread, yet we get posters in here ******** on marty!

Enough already! Marty, as far as I am concerned is the only one who is getting the job done. Complaining about allowing goals, when his team has scored 2 goals in 3 games. Please ****!!!!!!!

like wingman says, when he leaves all the haters are going to wish he was back there! just like you all cry about stevens and nieds not being back on defense. My God, losing makes people stupid.

Fayne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:25 PM
Richer's Ghost
awww summertime

vCash: 425
seriously - if you can't say something nice in an appreciation thread - don't say anything.

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:28 PM
Sir Fenwick Corsi
N U M B E R S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
seriously - if you can't say something nice in an appreciation thread - don't say anything.
Not to be a dick, but this. Exactly this. As far as I'm concerned, if you come into an appreciation thread and **** on a goalie who has had TWO ****ING GOALS worth of support through 3+ games, well I'm sorry, but you're a ****ing idiot. Seriously.

Sorry if this is offensive but my ass can be kissed with this nonsense. **** off with that noise. Especially tonight or in this thread.

Old
06-04-2012, 11:29 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Who **** on him? Unless those posts have 'dissapeared'?

Old
06-04-2012, 11:30 PM
CerebralGenesis

On Marty's retirement night, the tickets for that are going to be mad crazy. I am excited to fight for one of them though. Good lord that place will be rocking when it happens probably 3 years from now.

Man is a hero.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:30 PM
Fayne Staley
Deboer is great

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Who **** on him? Unless those posts have 'dissapeared'?
Do you not see engy's post, where he basically said brodeur has been average and the devils have covered for him the whole playoffs?

yea that's showing appreciation.....

complain about marty's play elsewhere, not here.

Old
06-04-2012, 11:31 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

I bet if Marty retired, and we signed Vokoun or some other stop gap POS like that people would be taking to his front lawn, and banging that door down to get him back. Some of the same people complaining would drag him, and carry him out of his bathtub naked to get him back.

To get to the Finals you gotta have good goaltending. He might have a 999 save percentage, or 0.66 GAA like Quick, but he's 40 years old! People have been saying since 05 ''Brodeur is a system goaltender. The Devils will probably not be a perennial playoff contender anymore, and if they are they won't have success, and will NEVER get to the Finals again. Brodeur will definitely not break Roy's record for most wins!''

My favorite is the typical ''Henrik is better! He owns Brodeur when the two face each other!'' Brodeur vs Lundqvist in the playoffs. Brodeur 2, Lundqvist 1.

Old
06-04-2012, 11:32 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

I'm actually more confused by the need to **** on other players in this thread.

But Marty's been a rock this post season. Absolutely solid when it's mattered the most.
In 20 years of goaltending, there are few blemishes. You couldn't ask for much more.

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:33 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Yeah okay I missed that one in the forty or so posts...that's about it, and Bleedred saying questioning him was legit, but christ he's been the guy's biggest defender in the postseason, he's entitled

But yeah, I just hope people besides us are able to see how good he's been in these playoffs. He's been better this year than in 2000, when we won a Cup. Hard to say he was better than he was in '95 or '03, but he's certainly been on par with that play.

Old
06-04-2012, 11:35 PM
Sir Fenwick Corsi
N U M B E R S

I'm sorry. But this is just pent up frustration on the subject in general. I'm not taking it out on anyone personally, but now is not the time to critique this guy!

Old
06-04-2012, 11:36 PM
Fayne Staley
Deboer is great

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
I'm actually more confused by the need to **** on other players in this thread.

But Marty's been a rock this post season. Absolutely solid when it's mattered the most.
In 20 years of goaltending, there are few blemishes. You couldn't ask for much more.
Too bad if I'm coming off as an *******. This has been going on all season with the bashing of Marty. RG makes an appreciation post and we get more of the same crap, even if it's one poster. no need to do this now when we're in a 3-0 hole.

Old
06-04-2012, 11:37 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

When I said legit in questioning him I meant I understood people being worried he wouldn't hold up. I wasn't as worried as he's been pretty solid since ASB. My main concern was ''He hasn't played this long into a season in a while, and how old he is now can he pull it off?''

If we lose this series it won't be his fault. It sucks the team left him with an 810 save percentage tonight.

First two games quality saves Brodeur over Quick. Don't matter cause Quick won, but Marty constantly makes the better saves most nights than the goaltender on the other side. Maybe not the most, and doesn't always get the W, but he's performing pretty well. I think he's got another season, and if he plays like second half all season he could go out with a Vezina. 922 save percentage, 2.05 GAA, 3 shutouts which were all his shutouts this season, and not to mention about 6 games where he gave up 1 goal that could have easily been shutouts.

Old
06-04-2012, 11:37 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
It'll be a very sad day when Marty retires. He is irreplaceable.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:38 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Hiemer View Post
Too bad if I'm coming off as an *******. This has been going on all season with the bashing of Marty. RG makes a appreciation post and we get more of the same crap, even if it's one poster. no need to do this now when we're in a 3-0 hole.
Wasn't directed towards you at all.
Was noting my confusion of people who singled out other Devils to ***** about in a thread about Marty, is all.

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:39 PM
Fayne Staley
Deboer is great

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
Wasn't directed towards you at all.
Was noting my confusion of people who singled out other Devils to ***** about in a thread about Marty, is all.
lol my bad, i read players as posters. sorry...

Anyways, showing marty love...

Old
06-04-2012, 11:42 PM
scythe

Don't know how anyone could hate on Marty. He's the very definition of a franchise goalie. And he's got the 3 Stanley Cup rings to prove it. He has played at or near the top of his game for his entire run. There's not a team in the league that wouldn't have wanted him in their system for the past 20 years.

On a sidenote, I'm a Bruins fan with no feelings for the Devils one way or the other, but i will say this: There's no shame in what is happening in the finals to the Devils. There are times in the playoffs where you run into a hot team that is playing on fire, and when that happens it doesn't matter how well you play, the other team is going to beat you. Right now it doesn't matter who is playing against the Kings. They are unbeatable at the moment. It's just one of those things that happens in the playoffs. Hold your heads high.

scythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:44 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

I think Brodeur has his best season next year since 07. Just a little prediction. If he stays healthy, and plays all season. I expect he doesn't start the back to backs again which has worked very well for him this season. Hope we have a competent backup. I have been his biggest defender, and I don't mind criticism, but people gotta nitpick every goal he gives up! I don't think people nitpicked as much back in the day or even only a few years ago.

I expect we see a contract extension to him signed before July 1st. Maybe as soon as we see how the Parise situation turns out, and what our UFA options are. He's a team player, and will take a huge cut to make sure we're set for the future.

Old
06-04-2012, 11:46 PM
Sir Fenwick Corsi
N U M B E R S

Quote:
Originally Posted by scythe View Post
Don't know how anyone could hate on Marty. He's the very definition of a franchise goalie. And he's got the 3 Stanley Cup rings to prove it. He has played at or near the top of his game for his entire run. There's not a team in the league that wouldn't have wanted him in their system for the past 20 years.

On a sidenote, I'm a Bruins fan with no feelings for the Devils one way or the other, but i will say this: There's no shame in what is happening in the finals to the Devils. There are times in the playoffs where you run into a hot team that is playing on fire, and when that happens it doesn't matter how well you play, the other team is going to beat you. Right now it doesn't matter who is playing against the Kings. They are unbeatable at the moment. It's just one of those things that happens in the playoffs. Hold your heads high.
It's really nice to see a post like this after a tough game tonight.

I, for one, appreciate it. Thank you.