HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Martin Brodeur Appreciation

Old
06-06-2012, 10:56 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
Quick has been better honestly. He outdueled Marty in both OTs though Marty played amazing in the game 2 OT. But Quick has been just slightly better than Marty, which is pretty amazing given the 14 year difference.
The fact that his level of play is anywhere close to Quick's is amazing. Considering the fact that we've been losing most of the possession battles to the Kings' skaters, one could even argue that Brodeur is playing amazingly well to even keep us in it.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 10:57 PM
BrodeursCups
Almost showtime...

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
I will be trolling the **** out of the main board once the finals are over win or lose. It's amazing how many of them hate on a living legend. They're going to get it good.

BrodeursCups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:10 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeursCups View Post
I will be trolling the **** out of the main board once the finals are over win or lose. It's amazing how many of them hate on a living legend. They're going to get it good.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...martin+brodeur

Wingman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:15 PM
BrodeursCups
Almost showtime...

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
That last link...It's getting bumped after the finals. ****'s going to get real on that board.

BrodeursCups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:17 PM
Bleedred
BEAT LA!

Brodeur has never gotten the respect from mainstream hockey fans as a whole. He's been called system goalie, can't play without the trap, blah blah blah blah. We still have a system that gives up fewer shots, but we don't have the D men, or two way players we used to. People also point to his sub par 913 save percentage. Truth is Patrick Roy I believe has an even more sub par 910 save percentage career. Mike Richter, and many of Marty's old school counterparts had lower save percentages than newer guys like Lundqvist, and whoever else you wanna name. Hasek is about the only one of that old era that has a boosted save percentage. Marty is even way above Grant Fuhr as far as those stats go, and he's been called the greatest goalie ever by longtime teammate Wayne Gretzky haha. He's one of the few with 400 wins. El Belfour, Cujo, Osgood. Most of Marty's prime opponents don't have the save percentage or GAA he has, and those guys all had over 400 wins.

I won't argue with someone who says Brodeur is not the greatest of all time, but to argue he is not great is stupid. Is he a system goalie? Every successful goalie has to have a good system. If Patrick Roy played for POS teams his entire career you think he would have been as successful?

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:32 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

If Marty ever beats Lundqvist AND Quick, my god that would instantly go to number one in terms of his Cup runs. I might even go over to the mainboard to witness the butthurt. People were already wondering if Quick had the greatest ever performance in playoff history

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:42 PM
Bleedred
BEAT LA!

He's been operating right at a 921 save percentage, and 2.05 GAA since the ASB including playoff games. That even includes a couple clunky games like the February 26th loss to TB where he gave up 4 goals on like 14 or 16 shots or something for a brutal 750 save percentage, and other low shot high goal games like Toronto in March, and the game he was pulled in game 3 vs Florida. 4 shutouts since then too where he had none before that.

Remember when it looked like he was gonna retire for sure after this season back in November, and December? How about the article on NHL.com about how people who had him on their fantasy team were giving him up?

Old
06-06-2012, 11:56 PM
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
Rock bottom for MB was that horrid showing against the Flames in Calgary, that unfortuatnely I had to witness. It's like night and day from the first half of the season to what we are seeing now. No wonder he wants to come back and play next year. Love seeing this legend still able to play at the top of his game at 40 years of age.

2011-12: The start of a new making the playoffs streak!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CalDevil3219
Jared Ramsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:01 AM
Bleedred
BEAT LA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ramsden View Post
Rock bottom for MB was that horrid showing against the Flames in Calgary, that unfortuatnely I had to witness. It's like night and day from the first half of the season to what we are seeing now. No wonder he wants to come back and play next year. Love seeing this legend still able to play at the top of his game at 40 years of age.
Luckily for Marty, Hedberg didn't play any better. He gave up a couple weak goals too. I actually thought maybe had we not pulled him we may have won. What was up with that game? I thought those two might have given each other some kind of virus or something!

Old
06-07-2012, 12:07 AM
NJDevilsZG
I'll drive team bus

Thing is that man is 40, and in discussion about who has performed better in Finals, him or that 26-27 kid.
Think about that for a moment.

NJDevilsZG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:11 AM
Bleedred
BEAT LA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevilsZG View Post
Thing is that man is 40, and in discussion about who has performed better in Finals, him or that 26-27 kid.
Think about that for a moment.
This is what I say. Lundqvist is better than Brodeur this year? Brodeur is 40. Brodeur got outplayed by this guy, and that guy, and whoever the hell that's 30 or under? It's like the system goalie naysayers ''Brodeur isn't that good LOLZZZZ he's terrible this season! He got outplayed by his backup! What a washed up loser!'' 40 years old you losers! he's in the Finals too, and he's not a Jonathan Quick 999 save percentage, and 0.25 GAA who cares though? He's 40, and has a done a more than serviceable job getting us to the Finals. He aint stealing games for or carrying us, but if you need the goalie to win it all for you then you really suck. He has been able to steal a few games. I'd say this one, games 6 vs the Rangers, and game 7 vs the Panthers.

Old
06-07-2012, 12:13 AM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

Brodeur has been phenomenal in this SCF. Had we executed on some chances, we would be up right now!

This team has what it takes to get it done! Go Devils!

Mory Schneideur* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 07:38 AM
JVR21
G

What are the chances Marty is back next year?

JVR21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 08:15 AM
devilsarmy17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
strong to very strong

devilsarmy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 09:07 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
He'll be back. Marty has consistently said that he has no intention of retiring this summer.

Old
06-07-2012, 09:12 AM
devilsblood

yeah, Marty loves to play, and he loves to win. I think he plays as long as he is successful. And he has certainly been that this year.

I think win or lose on Sat dev fans(sorry I won't be there) need to rain love down on Marty.

devilsblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:13 AM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

With a lockout, he's all but retired. There is a small chance it's his last game.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:23 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov28 View Post
With a lockout, he's all but retired. There is a small chance it's his last game.
But if there's no lockout, I think he will be back.

Old
06-07-2012, 10:54 AM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
We got Marty out here playing for the Bad News Bears. I don't think I see Walter Matthau behind the bench though.
Instead we have Randy Quaid.

glenwo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:31 PM
Stigy

This is one of my favorite things I read about yesterday's game.

Quote:
Before Game 4, during the national anthem, Brodeur left his customary position inside the crease to join his teammates on the blue line. Whatever his motivation, it was a moment to savor: The 40-year-old face of the franchise, having given this team everything he has left in the tank, standing with them, staring into the abyss. And, in the end, somehow not plummeting into it.

Stigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:48 PM
downtown56

I haven't been able to watch any of the games after game 5 of the 3rd round while I was on vacation but I heard Brodeur has been unbelievable and has been keeping the Devils in each game.

downtown56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:03 PM
lboogie42*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
Quick has been better honestly. He outdueled Marty in both OTs though Marty played amazing in the game 2 OT. But Quick has been just slightly better than Marty, which is pretty amazing given the 14 year difference.
quick has not been better! broduers faced twice as many shots quicks faced. that being said, martys had to stop difficult shots while all quick has had to do was get in his butterfly and wait for the devils to shoot in his crest. game 2 we shoulda had 4 or 5 goals but choked on our chances. broduers kept the games close. quick played good last game, like in the first period he shut us down. but in terms of making difficult saves and making them often while the defense is playing terrible, marty has been far better.

lboogie42* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:10 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown56 View Post
I haven't been able to watch any of the games after game 5 of the 3rd round while I was on vacation but I heard Brodeur has been unbelievable and has been keeping the Devils in each game.
The Devils also won a game. True story.

glenwo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:15 PM
lboogie42*

i think i can summarize what most of these comments are saying:
MARTY'S DA MAN!!!!

lboogie42* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:39 PM
Bleedred
BEAT LA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lboogie42 View Post
quick has not been better! broduers faced twice as many shots quicks faced. that being said, martys had to stop difficult shots while all quick has had to do was get in his butterfly and wait for the devils to shoot in his crest. game 2 we shoulda had 4 or 5 goals but choked on our chances. broduers kept the games close. quick played good last game, like in the first period he shut us down. but in terms of making difficult saves and making them often while the defense is playing terrible, marty has been far better.
I don't think Marty has faced more shots. He has stopped about 4 partial breakaways last night, and quite a few high quality chances in other games. I personally think the Kings are as dominant as they've been, but Marty is making the saves shooter tutor Brian Elliott who clearly crapped himself in their series, and Lulongopads could not make. It also helps that the Devils aren't giving up 40+ shots a game like Phoenix. Quick has made some impressive saves. Last night having some good ones, and last night was probably the game we challenged him the most.