HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Throw 4.5 million at Cory Schneider

Old
06-05-2012, 07:44 AM
Hawksfan2828

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontToewzMeBro View Post
Put some real heat on the Canucks and forfeit the picks if necessary.

Sharp - Toews - Stalberg
Beach - Kane - Hossa
Shaw - Bolland - Bickell
Carcillo - Mayers - Kruger

Keith-Olsen
Seabrook-Leddy
Hammer-Oduya

Schneider
Craw or Emery
No way in hell......

The Hawks should go after Suter, maybe also Parise.....

If the cap goes to 70.4 that would be perfecto.....

Honestly, I wouldn't be opposed to bringing Buff back (if we cannot afford Parise) - not many guys can be a 20 goal forward or a 50 point defenseman. But I suppose that would depend on what the Jets want in return.

Hawksfan2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 07:57 AM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
stupid idea... #1 it won't happen, #2 VAN will have a deal in place before something like this happens #3 it's just a stupid idea now
What's stupid about it? Doughty hit RFA, Schneider may too. But we don't have the picks and furthermore, our GM would never make a bold move like this.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 07:58 AM
RedBaronIndian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
2 problems

1-Cant offer sheet (Without our 3rd in Oduya trade)
2-Nucks wont let him get to that point as they can file for abritration thus preventing a offer sheet
The second part is not true. Canucks can take him arbitration only on July 5th. If Schneider makes it to July 1st any team can offersheet him and he cannot be protected by Canucks using arbitration. IIRC this is because Schneider's previous salary is less than 1.5 million.
Quote:
This is the most interesting part of Schneider's RFA status. The Canucks will have a 24 hour window between 5:00 PM EST on July 5th and 5:00 PM EST on July 6th in which they can elect to take Cory Schneider to binding salary arbitration (see: Secs 12.1(b) and 12.4(b) of the 2005 CBA). If the Canucks exercise their right to take Schneider to arbitration, he is then forbidden from negotiating with any other teams according to section 10.2 (a)(i)(B) of the CBA, and he cannot be signed to an offer-sheet.
Quote:
Here's the rub though, in the intervening five days between July 1st and July 5th - Cory Schneider will be a standard group two restricted free-agent and opposing General Managers will be free to negotiate with him and ink him to an offer-sheet, which, the Canucks would then have a week to match.
http://canucksarmy.com/2012/3/13/a-c...ed-free-agency

If Schneider makes it to July 1st, it is highly likely that some team with goaltending needs will present him with a offersheet. If Schneider/his agent are smart they will most likely use that as a bargaining chip with the Canucks management or sign it if the offer is a very good one.

Last edited by RedBaronIndian: 06-05-2012 at 08:03 AM.
RedBaronIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 10:11 AM
Sarava

The Hawks are the last team that should consider offersheeting anyone - given all the young players the Hawks have and precious little salary cap room over the next several years.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 10:41 AM
Hawkscap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
The Hawks are the last team that should consider offersheeting anyone - given all the young players the Hawks have and precious little salary cap room over the next several years.

What? Not one of the core is up until the summer of 15. And really how much more can Toews or Kane ask for?

With a 20 man roster man roster right now they are at $59 mil. Rolling off the UFAs and RFA the following two years put them at $55 mil (15 players) and $41 mil (8 players).

Hawkscap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 10:43 AM
digdug41982

It shouldn't matter. Most teams sign their youngsters before RFA.

Old
06-05-2012, 10:44 AM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher42 View Post
What? Not one of the core is up until the summer of 15. And really how much more can Toews or Kane ask for?

With a 20 man roster man roster right now they are at $59 mil. Rolling off the UFAs and RFA the following two years put them at $55 mil (15 players) and $41 mil (8 players).
Core players aren't what you worry about for offersheets. It's young players falling off their ELC's. Like Nick Leddy, Kyle Beach and Jeremy Morin in a year. Or Brandson Saad eventually.

Guys you might hope to sign for 2 mil per year - but could have someone swoop in and offer them a lot more than that (like what happened with Hammer).

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 10:48 AM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Remember what happened when we paid a goalie after a pretty good rookie season in a backup role?

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 10:51 AM
Hawkscap

Quote:
Core players aren't what you worry about for offersheets. It's young players falling off their ELC's. Like Nick Leddy, Kyle Beach and Jeremy Morin in a year. Or Brandson Saad eventually.

Guys you might hope to sign for 2 mil per year - but could have someone swoop in and offer them a lot more than that (like what happened with Hammer).
None of them have played well enough for offer sheets. Offer sheets are as a rare as a attractive female Red Wing fan.

Hawkscap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 10:53 AM
digdug41982

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
Remember what happened when we paid a goalie after a pretty good rookie season in a backup role?
This one had two and they weren't pretty good, they were excellent.

Old
06-05-2012, 11:00 AM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Don't get me wrong. I'm a big Schneider fan. I was actually advocating trading for him during the cap purge. My point is that you don't pay a goalie a starter's salary until he's proven he can be a starter for more than a season. That's the situation we're in with Crawford now.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:02 AM
digdug41982

Understood, I just don't think he signs here for much less.

Old
06-05-2012, 01:29 PM
Marotte Marauder

Quote:

I'll give you what I have in my wallet!

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 02:16 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

It's still a stupid idea and won't happen

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 07:00 AM
Not Now John
Scusi, dov' il bar?

vCash: 2210
We are NOT throwing 4.5M at a goalie that has never played more than 35 games in an entire season. Secondly, in order to make that asinine move, we would have to have our third-round pick in 2013, which was asininely taken by Winnipeg, along with the second, for Oduya, in an asinine move for the Hawks.

The word that describes this best: asinine.

Not Now John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 07:37 AM
unbridledid

Right Beluga.... what has Schneider proven exactly, that he cramps up in the playoffs ? Oh he did better this year, but played against a real starter and stud and lost. He has played well as a backup on a very strong team, and put up good numbers so why should anybody be impressed with that ? Has he carried a team on his back or played 60 games in a season, in fact he has barely played 60 games in his career. His 26 already and has yet to carry the ball and yet people are willing to offer him 4.5 million and the compensation for that is a 1st and 3rd rounder.... If Stan did that I would advocate his being fired..

unbridledid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 07:53 AM
Not Now John
Scusi, dov' il bar?

The only time he actually HIT 60 games was with Manitoba in 2009-2010. And that's for a team that's been taken over by an NHL franchise.

Old
06-06-2012, 12:24 PM
Skead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBaronIndian View Post
The second part is not true. Canucks can take him arbitration only on July 5th. If Schneider makes it to July 1st any team can offersheet him and he cannot be protected by Canucks using arbitration. IIRC this is because Schneider's previous salary is less than 1.5 million.

http://canucksarmy.com/2012/3/13/a-c...ed-free-agency

If Schneider makes it to July 1st, it is highly likely that some team with goaltending needs will present him with a offersheet. If Schneider/his agent are smart they will most likely use that as a bargaining chip with the Canucks management or sign it if the offer is a very good one.
Funny that you say that because it's 100% accurate, but the Agent was on Team1040 the other week saying the most plausible option was Schneider and Luongo being back for one more season, and Schneider himself said on Bostons radio 1 week ago that he's bound to this team for 1 more season at least so he'll focus on what he can control.

I'd imagine his agent knows of his options, but I don't know if they're playing coy (and if so why bother saying anything at all, let alone saying you're in the next season) or if they don't want to explore offer sheets.

Either way, we'll see what pans.

Skead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelugasandBHawks View Post
We are NOT throwing 4.5M at a goalie that has never played more than 35 games in an entire season. Secondly, in order to make that asinine move, we would have to have our third-round pick in 2013, which was asininely taken by Winnipeg, along with the second, for Oduya, in an asinine move for the Hawks.

The word that describes this best: asinine.
So because he hasn't played a ton of games he isn't worth it?

Who cares, he has talent, obvious enough talent for the Canucks to move their "franchise" goalie and keep Schneider and I think it's the right move.

While I know it won't happen if it could I would make that move in a heartbeat.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:33 PM
Not Now John
Scusi, dov' il bar?

What I meant by that is he's unproven. As a team going hard for the Cup, we don't want to take the risk of overloading him. And also, the notion that we would throw four and a half million dollars at any goalie is just hilarious. We don't have Tallon as our GM anymore, folks.

Old
06-06-2012, 02:36 PM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

4.5 mil is not that much money for a goalie. I would be fine paying a good goalie 4.5 mil.

TorMenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 03:10 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Schneider is for real, but I wouldn't want him with a 4.5 million contract yet

Old
06-06-2012, 03:27 PM
unbridledid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Schneider is for real, but I wouldn't want him with a 4.5 million contract yet
I will believe it when he carries a team for a couple of seasons at least.. Until then he is a 26 year old with less than 70 NHL games, and numbers that certainly benefited from playing on a strong team.

unbridledid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 03:32 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

he had better numbers than Luongo and took away his starting spot. Schneider played great in many games.

Old
06-06-2012, 03:35 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbridledid View Post
I will believe it when he carries a team for a couple of seasons at least.. Until then he is a 26 year old with less than 70 NHL games, and numbers that certainly benefited from playing on a strong team.
By then he would be worth 6-7 mil a season and not the 4.5 they would pay him now.

That is how you get a great player for a lesser price you take the risk if you think he can do the job.

The Kings took a risk, and right now the best goalie in the world is making a mere 1.8 million and they have him signed for next year too. Sure in 2013-14 when he is a FA he will get 8-9 million but right now they have the steal of the century.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote