HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

LUONGO THREAD (Fan 960 in Calgary: Luongo to Toronto done at draft)

Closed Thread

Old
06-05-2012, 06:15 PM
vanwest

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Shame View Post
But it is a risk you would take when you are a rebuilding team that has no serious shot at going far in the playoffs? And by trading for him, you give up serious amounts of your future?

I'm ALL FOR getting Luongo if the price isn't too high and doesn't handcuff our future. But at this point Toronto is too far away from contending to give up the future to get a short term replacement like Luongo. He doesn't add enough to this team to make them good...
I agree that you don't trade serious amounts of your future unless your close to contending. I don't see Toronto doing that but I think that they have some assets that they can afford to give up.

Old
Vorkosh

If Florida's in the mix, Id like to see Santorelli come back. Good BC kid, centre, good hands too.

Doubt Florida would give up Gudbranson tho, which is a shame

Old
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co Ho View Post
Jensen is our best prospect, not Schroeder, IMO.
Canucks have decent defensemen prospects in the system; Connauton, Corrado, and Sauve being the most promising. But we don't need any of these players to step into the NHL any time soon, with players like Garrison and Schultz expressing interest in signing here, and the potential return for Luongo.
Okay. And none of those D-men should be in the same breath as Gards.

Our shot at Schultz is probably as good as your's, as well.

And Jensen's good, but he's not about to blow anyone away. Slightly disappointing season for him in Oshawa this year.

Old
Virtanev
+

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Lol at 'Nucks fans.

No other options in net, no blue chips in the system (Gardiner says Hi), and Burke's job depends on it.

No sense in arguing this pile of genius.. haha
Okay than smart guy, please point to me any other viable option in net and no the monster and Reimer aren't gonna cut it. Gardiner isn't a prospect and where has a Canucks fan even said the Leafs have not top prospects? Lastly why wouldn't a guy who's taken a team from bottom 10 to bottom 5 while only have Nazem Kadri prospect wise to show for it's job not be in doubt?

Old
06-05-2012, 06:17 PM
Cosmic Shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
Good and fair point, but then why all the interest from Leaf fans?
Because he is available and there is no clear cut "value" for him. So we can argue until we are blue about what we think he is worth... If we knew for a certainty what the price was, then Leaf fans could say "yes" or "no", rather than "I'd do it for...."

Like I said, I'd love to get him for the right price.. maybe that price isn't reasonable, but I think there is some logic that suggests it is at least a possibility.

Old
06-05-2012, 06:17 PM
TOML

1,000 posts in not even a day.

Old
06-05-2012, 06:18 PM
RunYouOutOfTheRink

Quote:
I can say one thing for sure, Vancouver is certainly one team that doesn't have a young D-man with Gardiner's potential.

In fact, outside of Schroeder, who do you have that promises any significance at the NHL level?

Stop talking about things you haven't the slightest clue about.
definition of ignorance.

Old
06-05-2012, 06:19 PM
NYVanfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectProphet View Post
If Luongo goes to the Leafs, the Leafs will lose a player/prospect/pick that they really hate losing - otherwise, no deal.
aye, that's the rub

Luongo is a player that we hate to lose, regardless of the mud others love to sling

so much of the weather patterns hopeful suitors like Leafans are generating is designed solely to minimize offerings in fantasy trading ... the truth is he is an elite tender and he will cost something of value. Not the moon, but something more than 2nd rounder/marginal player/marginal prospect.

Old
Dellstrom
Pastrnasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOML View Post
1,000 posts in not even a day.
Toronto and Luongo in the same topic?

World shattering.

Old
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

It doesn't make sense but is Florida actually interested in Luongo?

Maybe if it was some three way deal that goes down where Florida ships out Markstrom at the same time, like:

Vancouver: Luongo
Florida: Markstrom
Tampa Bay: Connolly

Or it doesn't have to be a 3-way deal, if Florida can work something else to trade us for Luongo and they take Connolly for Markstrom. Still seems overly complicated though, teams usually stick with what they have.

Old
HeavyHammer
Go Bolts!

1,000 posts about absolutely nothing.

Old
Back in 94
In Gillis I trust

vCash: 366
Quote:
I've yet to come up with a ridiculous proposal, as given all of the factors surrounding the situation, it's pretty hard to guage the value of a player with that contract/situation/reputation/etc.

The best part is, if you asked Calgary fans what they were getting in return for Phaneuf, it wouldn't be what they got. So people should probably leave the trading and valuations to those who know what their talking about.
Never said you did. And I agree completely. I was just pointing out that both fanbases are equally guilty of proposing ridiculous proposals.

Yeah the Phaneuf trade caught everyone by surprise. I honestly think that Luongo has more value, but what do I know.

Old
Virtanev
+

Quote:
I've yet to come up with a ridiculous proposal, as given all of the factors surrounding the situation, it's pretty hard to guage the value of a player with that contract/situation/reputation/etc.

The best part is, if you asked Calgary fans what they were getting in return for Phaneuf, it wouldn't be what they got. So people should probably leave the trading and valuations to those who know what their talking about.
Difference is Mike Gillis isn't an idiot and won't trade his star player for scraps. I think you should also take your own advice, your the one saying the 5 th and Gardiner will never be traded for 7uongo!11111!!!!!! You should leave the trade and valuations o those who know what their talking about.

Old
06-05-2012, 06:21 PM
Cosmic Shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
I agree that you don't trade serious amounts of your future unless your close to contending. I don't see Toronto doing that but I think that they have some assets that they can afford to give up.
I agree that Toronto has assets they can give up. Toronto actually has lots of decent assets that I think most fans would be willing to give up. However, we have VERY FEW high end, blue chip, assets. You can basically count them on three fingers: 5th overall, Gardiner, Kessel.

Outside of that, I think there is definitely a package that could work. But I think giving up any of those 3 assets would be a seriously bad idea for a young, not very close to contending, team.

Old
06-05-2012, 06:22 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Mars View Post
Difference is Mike Gillis isn't an idiot and won't trade his star player for scraps. I think you should also take your own advice, your the one saying the 5 th and Gardiner will never be traded for 7uongo!11111!!!!!! You should leave the trade and valuations o those who know what their talking about.
AKA nobody on HF...

Old
06-05-2012, 06:23 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Will the Leafs be competitive again soon enough?

Why? What's on the horizon that's better than what's currently there?

Are Kessel and Phaneuf going to get better?

Crosby signing next Summer?

Truth be told I would sure as hell hope they're competitive again soon enough, it's embarrasing that they've done what they've done since the lock out and as a habs fan I would much prefer a leafs team that provides some semblance of excitement for those 6 games a year, as opposed to the horrible 18 periods currently provided every year.

But you know what? We've all been hearing this every offseason for going on 5 years plus now. Great prospects, great drafting, great veterans, great coach, great GM.

None of it's true, wasn't then and it isn't now. For every "amazing" thing the Leafs fans go on and on about their team having moving forward there are many other teams in the league who have that, and more.

Leafs fans bring it on themselves with their bizarre arrogance every offseason and the way they insult other fan bases who are doing better than they are. Sure there are many level headed reasonable thinking fans but they just get drowned out by the arrogant loud mouths who embarrass themselves by doing things like mocking Senators fans for thinking their Calder Cup run meant something last year and then acting as though the Calder Cup means so much this year when it's the Leafs.
Christ man this isn't rocket science. Phoenix spent years basement dwelling. Los Angeles finished 29th what, four years ago? Simple statistics dictate that the longer you spend at the bottom, the greater the chance of pulling out in each successive year. Standings are cyclical. We'll be rebounding soon enough; such is the nature of the system. It's not a difficult concept.

Old
06-05-2012, 06:25 PM
Back in 94
In Gillis I trust

vCash: 366
Quote:
Okay. And none of those D-men should be in the same breath as Gards.

Our shot at Schultz is probably as good as your's, as well.

And Jensen's good, but he's not about to blow anyone away. Slightly disappointing season for him in Oshawa this year.
Gardiner has played one season in the NHL. I don't think it's stretch to compare Gardiner and Connauton.

Old
ronnyweed

Gillis asks for Gardiner or the 5th overall as nonis fills out the paper work for the Schneider offer sheet and submits it after they pick 5th overall.

Old
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Shame View Post
I agree that Toronto has assets they can give up. Toronto actually has lots of decent assets that I think most fans would be willing to give up. However, we have VERY FEW high end, blue chip, assets. You can basically count them on three fingers: 5th overall, Gardiner, Kessel.

Outside of that, I think there is definitely a package that could work. But I think giving up any of those 3 assets would be a seriously bad idea for a young, not very close to contending, team.
I can't see Toronto trading any of those 3 assets. If I had Jake Gardiner I wouldn't let anyone pry him away. The kid is already great and is going to be a real star. The Ducks will regret that trade for a long time, IMO.

Old
06-05-2012, 06:28 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back in 94 View Post
Gardiner has played one season in the NHL. I don't think it's stretch to compare Gardiner and Connauton.
I think it's a pretty big stretch. I'm high on Connauton too, but Gardiner is a young kid who is already the top defenceman on Toronto and plays big minutes. This guy is a blue chipper.

Old
06-05-2012, 06:28 PM
Meatwagon
Blues=Overrated

I'm surprised that anybody would believe anything that comes out of Toronto and ole' Burkie.

Dudes pathological, but at least he's entertaining.

Old
06-05-2012, 06:29 PM
Provost

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
why can't you accept the fact that we have other valuable parts then gardiner and the 5th pick?
Because no one has suggested that they would rather send out Kessel or Phaneuf... and those are the only other assets that Toronto has who would be meaningful roster players on the Canucks.

Old
06-05-2012, 06:30 PM
KrazyCanuck19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Christ man this isn't rocket science. Phoenix spent years basement dwelling. Los Angeles finished 29th what, four years ago? Simple statistics dictate that the longer you spend at the bottom, the greater the chance of pulling out in each successive year. Standings are cyclical. We'll be rebounding soon enough; such is the nature of the system. It's not a difficult concept.
Phoenix and LA used their high picks to draft future cornerstones for their franchise...If BB had gone the same route, TO would have bright future with Seguin, and Hamilton... Unfortunately you're stuck with Kessel

Old
CommonMeans*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyweed View Post
Gillis asks for Gardiner or the 5th overall as nonis fills out the paper work for the Schneider offer sheet and submits it after they pick 5th overall.
But I thought Burkie was dead set against offer-sheets? Leafs hypocrisy at its best right here.

Old
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Mars View Post
Lastly why wouldn't a guy who's taken a team from bottom 10 to bottom 5 while only have Nazem Kadri prospect wise to show for it's job not be in doubt?
Because your opinion of only have 1 prospect is just your opinion and not truth, and because we are doing it right this time. Being patient. Stockpiling talent and setting ourselves up to be a player in the free agent/trade market using our cap space.

There's no point adding a 33 year old goalie to a 19-25 year old core. Especially at the expense of our 19-25 year old core.

Want the MacA's and the Liles of the world? we'd be happy to overpay.

Closed Thread