HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Therrien as new Habs Head Coach

Closed Thread

Old
06-05-2012, 09:05 AM
7th Player

vCash: 500
For those worrying about Therrien's handling of Price. I wouldn't worry about that. People must not forget what he did with Jose Theodore in 02 (Hart? Vezina?) and most recently MA Fleury (established as a top goaltender).

Where a legitimate question could be asked is: will he stifle offensively gifted forwards? How will MT deal with a guy like Eller per say?

Old
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masao View Post
The only problem, Montreal was mad because they had a coach who couldn't speak french, well now they're stuck with one who can't speak english

If people want to lay blame to anyone, don't blame the gm, blame the stupid french media for forcing the subject.

Old
McSorleyStick
GIJON !

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbedraven View Post
How about everyone who thinks this is a "bad selection", you take a step back and look at things logically.
a) Bergevin took his time in making a decision, so this decision is obviously a decision he is happy with
b) Most of you who are happy with Bergevin's hiring of GM should at least give his hirings a chance before you run them over with the negativity bus
c) its been 10 years since MT was here, he is not the same person. 10 years is a long time to learn and grow in ones profession, so how about you give him a chance before you dismiss him already.
d) When he was here the first time, he was not "THAT" bad, we have had worse coaches.

So, in summry, cut out all this negativity because MT was not your ideal "sexy pick". Most of you "Trust In Timmins", maybe you should try giving your new gm some "Trust".

ps
I am well aware MT's coaching has a shelf life and the odds are probably high that he probably won't be here 3 years from now.
GREAT POST

Old
06-05-2012, 09:07 AM
Rise from the Ashes
Price defies corsi

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
http://legrandclub.rds.ca/profils/60.../141970/public

Old
06-05-2012, 09:09 AM
Kingbobert

Quote:
If people want to lay blame to anyone, don't blame the gm, blame the stupid french media for forcing the subject.
exactly Bergevins hands have been handcuffed the minute he accepted this position

Old
06-05-2012, 09:10 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

So some ppl don't want to give Therrien a chance, and don't want to buy that he has changed in the past 10 years, but were saying that Pierre McGuire had grown so much after his horrible time with the Whalers?

Old
06-05-2012, 09:10 AM
beaverBFP

Deffinetly the safest pick for Bergevin which makes sense for a new gm. We just have to trust MB and hope he made the right decision.

Old
06-05-2012, 09:12 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
If the GM gets influenced by the media, then he should absolutely get blamed and we should be very worried.

All in all, im disappointed. MT really doesn't strike me as a good candidate. But like under PG/Martin, I will give them a year before really judging them.
All I can do us hope MB has a good philosophy and that MT learned from his time off.

Old
Skarjak

**** all of you. Seriously, quitting on Bergevin already because he selected a coach you didn't like? You know what? I'm going to trust a dude who's had experience at almost all levels of the NHL over some guy on a forum who doesn't like francophone coaches. It's not like Bergevin made a rash choice. He told us when he was named GM that he would always take decisions with his group. That means if Therrien is our head coach, then the management as a whole thought he'd be the best.

And if you think he's so bad, stop saying it and start naming people who you think are better. Hell, name anglophones while you're at it. Where are all those supposedly awesome anglophone coaches that were just waiting to be hired?

And seriously, using mistakes from a decade ago to judge a man? WTF is wrong with you?

Jesus, give the man a chance and ****.

Old
BeliveauFan4ever

The list of possibles was way too short, and I don't think it had much to do with language. Just not a great year to need a new HC who can't be labeled a re-tread.

Wanted Carbo...but...

Love the management moves - til now - but there weren't many fish in the coaching pond.

Hopefully, *next time* there will be.

Old
EveryDay

I hope that MT will ask for some enforcer and some toughness in his lineup.

Old
06-05-2012, 09:13 AM
FinnHab

Next question is how Michel gonna build his coaching staff? Any new names rumoured?

Some Habs"fans" overreaction here is embarassing, cmon guys

Old
le_sean

vCash: 612
Well I did not want him nor was I happy when I found out he was re-hired. But I am a firm believer that people have the capability of changing so I will give him a chance.

Old
Crimson Skorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
Not the guy I was expecting, nor hoping for, but I won't throw him under the bus just yet. Guy hasn't coached a game, let alone an entire season, with the current club. Why don't we give the guy a chance, see what he can do and what he can get out of the players before we judge the guy. Ten years changes not only a team, but the person coaching too.

Good luck, Michel.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
Chris G

Quote:
Exactly, although I don't mind the hiring, I believe the process would have been much more beneficial to our team in the long term if all candidates would have been considered no matter the language. Brent Sutter would be an example.

Old
06-05-2012, 09:14 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarjak View Post
**** all of you. Seriously, quitting on Bergevin already because he selected a coach you didn't like? You know what? I'm going to trust a dude who's had experience at almost all levels of the NHL over some guy on a forum who doesn't like francophone coaches. It's not like Bergevin made a rash choice. He told us when he was named GM that he would always take decisions with his group. That means if Therrien is our head coach, then the management as a whole thought he'd be the best.

And if you think he's so bad, stop saying it and start naming people who you think are better. Hell, name anglophones while you're at it. Where are all those supposedly awesome anglophone coaches that were just waiting to be hired?

And seriously, using mistakes from a decade ago to judge a man? WTF is wrong with you?

Jesus, give the man a chance and ****.

Is this article from a HALL OF FAME WRITER not showing up on your screen???
How about all the one's saying let's give MT or trust Bergevin ,you need to do as Jeremy Ronieck suggest and WAKE UP .You all think this is what Montreal needs right now????You think we need a guy who WONT HAVE THE RESPECT OF THE ROOM? you think we need a guy who will STRAIN relationships with players? ...YES great.

Quote:
Michael Farber from SI

Quote:
The prevailing theory is Therrien lost the dressing room. In truth, he probably never had it. He never was a popular coach, not that popularity is a prerequisite for being a successful one. (c.f. Bowman, William Scott.) Therrien helped turn Pittsburgh from bunglers to a Stanley Cup threat in three years, which is to his everlasting credit. He could be remarkably heavy-handed -- you remember his rant a few years ago when he threw his defensemen under the bus and then backed up and drove the bus over them a few times? -- but he actually had backed off a little this season after the run to the finals.

Earlier this season. Therrien told Pittsburgh writers, "I know this team, these players. I don't feel the need to send messages. They know what I expect and what I want and what wins. When they're not doing it, they know. I don't need to say it [in the press] anymore."

Of course, hardheaded coaches are a lot more palatable when a team is winning. With the Penguins languishing in 10th place in the Eastern Conference, Therrien's imperiousness and strained relationships with many of his players -- probably Crosby, too, although he never gave any public indication of it -- were not going to work.

Shero has turned the team over on an interim basis to Dan Bylsma, a former NHL player in his first season as head coach of the Penguins' AHL team in Wilkes-Barre, Pa. If he can revive Pittsburgh, Bylsma will stay. If the Penguins continue to founder in their final 25 games and miss the playoffs, next summer look for Shero to consider Brent Peterson, a Nashville assistant, or Todd Richards, who coached in Wilkes-Barre but now is an assistant to Todd McLellan in San Jose.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...#ixzz1wuGQzIVv

Old
06-05-2012, 09:14 AM
Kid Dynomite

Will Martin Lapointe's appointment as assistant coach also be made official at the 2:30 p.m. presser?

Old
06-05-2012, 09:15 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
That's exactly what we said about Gomez coming into last season.
Well...the on the other bright side, even if we manage to do worse than last season, we'll end up with a future star considering how good the first round is looking for next season.

Old
06-05-2012, 09:17 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsubz View Post
People makes me sick here. As if the Bergevin had that many choices...Therrien has matured a lot from his old days here. Probably the only panelist that had a brain on l'antichambre. IMO I rather have therrien than Crawford or hartley.
So, he hired 'the best of what was left' , and for some reason this should be celebrated? You can't understand why people are frustrated?

Old
06-05-2012, 09:18 AM
Aeneas

not my choice, but i will keep an open mind, fresh start, new season

Old
06-05-2012, 09:18 AM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
2 years is what you can expect from any coach these days... unless your name is Ruff, Trotz or Babcock.
Could you imagine if any of these 3 were available and interested in the Habs job but had no chance because of the language issue..

Old
06-05-2012, 09:20 AM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Could you imagine if any of these 3 were available and interested in the Habs job but had no chance because of the language issue..
I'd like to believe it would be a bit different and that MB would make his own decision. However, that is not the current situation that was presented. He had his choice from a dozen of head coaches that were all around the same skill level with nothing making any one candidate stand out from the rest
I mean seriously how can the french media argue the hiring of Babcock? What are we playing Hockey or a spelling bee?

Old
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
That's a bold statement. They would at least get a phone call and an interview.

They can still learn basic french.

Old
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Moen View Post
I'd rather have a monkey coaching the habs than Michel Therrien
shouldnt you be on the Kings board right now???

Old
06-05-2012, 09:21 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th Player View Post
For those worrying about Therrien's handling of Price. I wouldn't worry about that. People must not forget what he did with Jose Theodore in 02 (Hart? Vezina?) and most recently MA Fleury (established as a top goaltender).
Fleury established a reputation as a top goaltender, but he's an average-to-below-average starter.

Closed Thread