Notices

[OFFICIAL] - Around the NHL thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-14-2012, 10:35 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

vCash: 50
I don't think there will be a lockout, the media is playing up that angle. All the actual comments that have come from both sides so far seem very positive. Let's not forget, the owners and players have the option to start the season under the old CBA if the new isn't finalized yet to avoid a lockout. Both sides would then meet and continue to work on it until a new one is hammered out. The only way the owners will lockout the players is if there is both sides are far apart and there's a war going on.

Old
07-14-2012, 10:56 AM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
I doubt that they will start the year without a new cba, I think the players will want atleast 52% of profit and will want to keep arbitration but could give a year younger on elc and maybe willing to cap the length of the contract.

Old
07-14-2012, 01:02 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
The players are partly to blame for this because they had such poor leadership in the NHLPA the years past. Now that Fehr is in office, he'll finally audit the leauge's books and find out that the owner's are (likely) cheating the players.

I'm forced to side with the player's here. The owners want to make slaves out of the players by forcing them to stay with a team until they're 28-30 years old. And then afterwards, they want to limit the kind of pay days that a player can cash in on by preventing arbitration and limiting contract lengths.

What's really funny is that the owner's expect the CBA to control their own foolish spending. Here's a concept, don't offer 17 year contracts! It's like me wanting the government to limit all people's spending because I don't have enough personal control to save a buck.

Old
07-14-2012, 03:39 PM
Fleury14
Kipper

vCash: 500
The one thing I got out of it is that we're likely looking at 4-year ELCs.

One thing I've noticed in CBAs from the various leagues over the years is that the current players are more than willing to cut back on what the next generation of players will make to get concessions that benefit them right away.

Old
07-14-2012, 05:17 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 1200

If it took this long for the NHL to start negotiating and this is the best they could do with their opening offer, we might as well kiss next season goodbye.

Old
07-14-2012, 05:45 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
The players are partly to blame for this because they had such poor leadership in the NHLPA the years past. Now that Fehr is in office, he'll finally audit the leauge's books and find out that the owner's are (likely) cheating the players.

I'm forced to side with the player's here. The owners want to make slaves out of the players by forcing them to stay with a team until they're 28-30 years old. And then afterwards, they want to limit the kind of pay days that a player can cash in on by preventing arbitration and limiting contract lengths.

What's really funny is that the owner's expect the CBA to control their own foolish spending. Here's a concept, don't offer 17 year contracts! It's like me wanting the government to limit all people's spending because I don't have enough personal control to save a buck.
Yup, fully agreed. I do think the profit ratio should drop closer to 50%, but all the other crap the owners are trying to implement is ridiculous.

Old
07-15-2012, 03:35 AM
WhereIsIt
#gift

I didn't know that the players get a certain cut of NHL profits, how does that work? Is it split accord to games played or something? I always assumed they just got paid their salaries.

Old
07-15-2012, 09:45 AM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixons Dad View Post
I didn't know that the players get a certain cut of NHL profits, how does that work? Is it split accord to games played or something? I always assumed they just got paid their salaries.
Salary cap upper limit is set at 57% of hockey revenue. That's how they get "their cut".

Old
07-15-2012, 12:30 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Salary cap upper limit is set at 57% of hockey revenue. That's how they get "their cut".
Player's only get 57% of hockey revenue if all teams pay to the cap. Also, once the NHLPA audits the team's books, we'll likely see "leaks" that teams are cheating their reported revenue. So player's are probably receiving somewhere around 50%.

Old
07-16-2012, 06:56 PM
MarkGio

Even though it's old(-ish) news, but what do people think of Hasek? Does anyone think he'll find a team?

Old
07-16-2012, 07:15 PM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

Nope, I doubt he finds a team. I doubt any team will want a 47 year old goalie. The game has become so much faster than what he is used to.

Old
07-16-2012, 07:44 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Idk, does someone like Burke take a chance on him?

Old
07-18-2012, 11:57 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Breaking: Shea Weber agrees to offer sheet with Philadelphia. 14 years, upwards of $100 mil. Preds have 7 days to match. Wow!!
Holy crap Nashville has to match no?

Old
07-18-2012, 11:58 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Holy **** that's crazy. Crazier if it happens

Old
07-19-2012, 12:02 AM
DBU
In A Dream

I am 99% confident that it won't lol

Old
07-19-2012, 12:04 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Sauce View Post
I am 99% confident that it won't lol
It has been confirmed that the offer sheet is true Nashville has 7 days to take what is most likely 4 1st rounders or sign Weber to 14 year deal worth over 7.5 mil a season.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:07 AM
DBU
In A Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
It has been confirmed that the offer sheet is true Nashville has 7 days to take what is most likely 4 1st rounders or sign Weber to 14 year deal worth over 7.5 mil a season.
Yeah, I know that.

I believe Nashville will match the offer sheet, that's what I'm saying.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:08 AM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Dreger confirmed it's four 1st rounders; so a cap hit of 7.8+.

Poile will match. They wanted to keep Weber badly. Only hiccup could be if Holmgren front loaded the contract in such a way that makes it very, very hard for the Preds to make it work financially.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:24 AM
Janks
Pope Janks

vCash: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
Dreger confirmed it's four 1st rounders; so a cap hit of 7.8+.

Poile will match. They wanted to keep Weber badly. Only hiccup could be if Holmgren front loaded the contract in such a way that makes it very, very hard for the Preds to make it work financially.
WAY too much for Weber.

It'll make Jbo's contract look decent to the rest of HF (Fingers crossed).

Regardless, Preds have to match I'd imagine. They just lost Suter, and while he can be replaced internally, they can't replace both top pairing D men.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:31 AM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael Backlund View Post
WAY too much for Weber.

It'll make Jbo's contract look decent to the rest of HF (Fingers crossed).

Regardless, Preds have to match I'd imagine. They just lost Suter, and while he can be replaced internally, they can't replace both top pairing D men.
Actually, I was wrong on that one. Cap hit on offer sheets are determined by total compensation divided by a max of five years. At 100M+, it's 20M+ per season, so it would be four 1st round picks regardless. Cap hit is anywhere north of 7M.

Weber could have a cap hit of 9M a season and he'd still be a better deal than Bouwmeester. And I say that as someone who doesn't have a problem with Bouwmeester or his contract in the slightest. It's hard to overstate the importance of a elite number one defensemen (or centremen for that matter).

Old
07-19-2012, 12:39 AM
Xelstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post

Weber could have a cap hit of 9M a season and he'd still be a better deal than Bouwmeester. And I say that as someone who doesn't have a problem with Bouwmeester or his contract in the slightest. It's hard to overstate the importance of a elite number one defensemen (or centremen for that matter).
Very true. Any of us would easily pick having a Weber where he's both an all-star #1 D and a leader who could easily be the next face of the franchise. At this point, the only reason for the Preds to not match is because they don't have the money to do so. Hard to think they wouldn't do that though.

I wonder, if it turns out that the Preds match but sacrifice a lot of other internal salary space, thus lowering the quality of the team, would Weber be bitter about that?

Old
07-19-2012, 01:23 AM
nogger
#wemissyoubutler

Welp, that was unexpected.

Old
07-19-2012, 07:39 AM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

Weber could earn 26M for the first calendar year. Yikes!

Poile has stated that he would match any offer.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:21 AM
MarkGio

Preds need to match. 4 first round picks from Philly is worth 4 second round picks. This tells me not to select Pronger in our fantasy draft.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:45 AM
Volica

Best dman in the league. Nashville will match. Those first round picks have little to no chance at ever being a top player in their position.

Wonder if Weber is worth four firsts, if bouwmeester is worth anything to Philly.

Closed Thread