HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What are you Looking Forward to Most?

Old
06-18-2012, 12:52 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

vCash: 500
What are you Looking Forward to Most?

Several come to mind...

Simple things:

- The banners being raised (WCC and SCC)
- Every team at the draft congratulating the Kings for winning the Cup
- Hearing David Courtney announce the team as "your Stanley Cup Champion Los Angeles Kings"

More complex things:

- Appreciating the regular season for how genuinely irrelevant that it truly is, so long as the Kings make the playoffs. Seriously... remember how we'd get so worked up about individual wins and losses during the course of the season? How petty and simple does all that nonsense look now. The regular season is just the pre-season to the actual season.

- Watching the franchise basically be re-born. We don't have to try to acquire players with Stanley Cup experience to try to get the team over the winning hump any more - the entire team knows what it takes to win now.

- Seeing Brown's leadership transition from trying to will the team to win something he's never won before to leading the team that has proven they can win it all to try to do it again (this in particular is going to be pretty ****ing fun to watch). There's a respect element that the entire leadership team has now earned and will now be an expectation of everyone else that joins the roster.

What's on your list?

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 12:55 AM
Rusty Batch

Just Knowing that every team we play next year will want to prove themselves against the defending Champs.

Rusty Batch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 12:55 AM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
I for one hope they ditch the Campbell and Smythe banners and only hang a cup banner.

Once you win it all, it's bush league to hang division and conference banners, especially when you share an arena with the Lakers.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 12:58 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

I don't think they will have a WC Championship banner. Usually when you win a Championship that is the only banner you hang.

What I am most looking forward to, not having to hear crap from my buddies in Chicago and Detroit about the Kings not having a championship. Walking into those buildings and being the King (literally), will be great. I'm sure you guys all will feel the same way walking into Anaheim next season. The idiots can no longer talk about us not having a cup. The guy with the jersey that said "Stanley Cups Ducks 1 Kings 0" has to retire that god awful thing.

That will be the best part of next season, that and being in the NHL13 demo

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 01:01 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

My son told me that he won't be able to attend most of the games this year, as he will be entering college and wants of course to study, but I told him for sure he HAS to attend opening night when we raise the banner.

I am also looking forward to sitting back and enjoying the games more, now that the 45-pound monkey is off all of our backs.

Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 01:01 AM
major frank burns

Quote:
- Appreciating the regular season for how genuinely irrelevant that it truly is, so long as the Kings make the playoffs. Seriously... remember how we'd get so worked up about individual wins and losses during the course of the season? How petty and simple does all that nonsense look now. The regular season is just the pre-season to the actual season.
I thought about this a lot over the last few games. Remeber the games lost to Anaheim at home in the last few seconds? At Detroit in the last minute? The one blown in Dallas where they scored in the dying seconds and again in OT? I didn't sleep those nights and was pissed off for days. Mostly, how pissed I was when they lost the back to back games to San Jose to close out the season. Were those feelings really worth it?

I'm looking forward to the effect this may have on hockey on the grass roots level in the area. Will we see more rinks built? Will enrollment in leagues increase? Gretzky effect part 2?

major frank burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 01:04 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
My son told me that he won't be able to attend most of the games this year, as he will be entering college and wants of course to study.
You obviously did a poor job raising your child

I went to more sporting events in college than I did before or after, I'm sure he'll be alright and find time to study.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 01:15 AM
Shellz

Just watching the young players grow. I'm so proud of Brown..he really took control on and off the ice. I just hope he continues to grow because he has made me proud. Obviously guys like Kopitar and Doughty too. It lwast nice to see them take control.

I ain't even worried about Quick he has the attitude a lot of players strive for.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 01:20 AM
SMoneyMonkey

Bernier taking over the starter position!

Mainly just being a bit more relaxed while watching the games. And opening night!

SMoneyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 01:22 AM
Fishhead

I'm looking forward to seeing the team's intensity. I don't expect them to keep it playoff level game after game, but I'd like to see it for 80% of the games or so.

I'm looking forward to seeing if this team maintains it's identity. I don't expect the forecheck to be as tenacious, but I expect it to be there. I don't want to see this team think they are built around skill and finesse.

Lastly, I'm looking forward to seeing how other teams react when the Kings get a lead on them. I've noticed that sometimes when playing the champs, teams tend to get demoralized when they are down by a few goals.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 01:23 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
You obviously did a poor job raising your child

I went to more sporting events in college than I did before or after, I'm sure he'll be alright and find time to study.
Hey, you guys should be happy about his decision...it means that I will be offering up more free seats during next season.

Old
06-18-2012, 01:45 AM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

Raising the banners

FrozenKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 01:47 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Several come to mind...

Simple things:

- Every team at the draft congratulating the Kings for winning the Cup
- Hearing David Courtney announce the team as "your Stanley Cup Champion Los Angeles Kings"

More complex things:

- Watching the franchise basically be re-born. We don't have to try to acquire players with Stanley Cup experience to try to get the team over the winning hump any more - the entire team knows what it takes to win now.

- Seeing Brown's leadership transition from trying to will the team to win something he's never won before to leading the team that has proven they can win it all to try to do it again (this in particular is going to be pretty ****ing fun to watch). There's a respect element that the entire leadership team has now earned and will now be an expectation of everyone else that joins the roster.

What's on your list?
That ought to be a blast. I can't wait for Phoenix to choke out their congratulations as well.

I remember when L.A. hosted the draft recently, and the kudos the team got for hosting it was really a nice gesture by the teams' representatives.

Old
06-18-2012, 01:58 AM
ManiacMatty

1. Next season's schedule release. (Can anyone tell me when it will that will be?!)

2. The new national exposure, as many of our games will be televised to a wider audience. NBC sports will be forced to show Kings games, as well as some national NBC games.

3. Watching commercials, and highlights of Brown lifting the Cup forever. A chance to reminisce every time of that moment standing in Staples Center, over and over again.

ManiacMatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:05 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatty View Post
1. Next season's schedule release. (Can anyone tell me when it will that will be?!)

2. The new national exposure, as many of our games will be televised to a wider audience. NBC sports will be forced to show Kings games, as well as some national NBC games.

3. Watching commercials, and highlights of Brown lifting the Cup forever. A chance to reminisce every time of that moment standing in Staples Center, over and over again.

"Because black ice is dangerous this time of the year. Because its the cup."

By the way, that was a late edition. I guess NHL.com or the NHL Network didn't feel the Kings were going to advance. They were finally forced to make one (I think during the St. Louis series, if I am not mistaken).

Old
06-18-2012, 02:31 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

The Kings being looked upon as a model franchise in terms of how to build a winning team. There's no better satisfaction than being the envy of 29 other NHL clubs, even if it lasts for a few months. But I take greater satisfaction in knowing that a majority of the players and the most important pieces will remain in a Kings uniform for the foreseeable future.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:41 AM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

WINNING IT AGAIN !
what ... too greedy ?

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 03:31 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

This is quite a bit forward but...

I'm looking forward to the 2013 playoffs and having whatever team draws us in the first round say "awww man, next year I guess" lol.

- R

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 03:32 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post
WINNING IT AGAIN !
what ... too greedy ?
Lets form a new "lets be greedy!" bandwagon! You drive, I'll navigate. If we win 4, we beat the Lakers 3-peats! Of course, if/when we win 5, we now will be greater than any dynasty in the history of the NHL.

- R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
That ought to be a blast. I can't wait for Phoenix to choke out their congratulations as well.

I remember when L.A. hosted the draft recently, and the kudos the team got for hosting it was really a nice gesture by the teams' representatives.
I hope they don't do anything that gets them 5 minutes or another 23 game suspension when they're (the Yote execs) up there!

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 03:37 AM
puckyeah

Hopefully the NHL will let the Coyotes be the first game of the reg season, i'd love to see their faces during the banner unveiling!

puckyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 07:48 AM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

They could go 0-82 and I'd still feel good. It's gonna be a season I can sit back and enjoy the games without that stress.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:17 AM
RAZZIE King
Los Cucarachas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post
WINNING IT AGAIN !
what ... too greedy ?
I was thinking more like 4 or 5 in the next 5 years...

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 10:07 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
The banner. The empty space where the Kings stuff is was always embarrassing, now it will be a little more crowded. That and just the overall relief. No more wondering if this will be the year, no more wondering if the team is headed in the right direction, is the top 6 OK-I can just be a fan again rather than an analyst or a cap accountant. We lost our Stanley Cup virginity.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 10:10 AM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
The banner. The empty space where the Kings stuff is was always embarrassing, now it will be a little more crowded. That and just the overall relief. No more wondering if this will be the year, no more wondering if the team is headed in the right direction, is the top 6 OK-I can just be a fan again rather than an analyst or a cap accountant. We lost our Stanley Cup virginity.
lol Basically. I think that's the general attitude now.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 10:42 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by major frank burns View Post
I thought about this a lot over the last few games. Remeber the games lost to Anaheim at home in the last few seconds? At Detroit in the last minute? The one blown in Dallas where they scored in the dying seconds and again in OT? I didn't sleep those nights and was pissed off for days. Mostly, how pissed I was when they lost the back to back games to San Jose to close out the season. Were those feelings really worth it?
No... nor was winning the President's Trophy, or winning the division, or home ice advantage... I could go on and on. The only thing that will cause the Kings to miss the playoffs next season is injuries or fatigue. Aside from that, just get in - wherever seeds shake out doesn't mean anything. The best team in every match-up always winds up winning regardless of home ice.

Quote:
I'm looking forward to the effect this may have on hockey on the grass roots level in the area. Will we see more rinks built? Will enrollment in leagues increase? Gretzky effect part 2?
That's a terrific point. There's a whole generation of new Kings fans created after this season. It'll be interesting in 15-20 years to see the impact of all of this.

Quote:
End of this month typically.

Quote:

National games will be interesting. NBC/NBCSN does typically carry the banner raising for whichever team wins the Cup every year, so my guess is that opening "night" will likely be an afternoon game on Saturday or (far less likely) a 7PM start. If the Kings are featured in any other national games, it'll be road games. 7:30PM Pacific starts are too late for national games.

Your last point is going to be fun to see as well. Another example... CBC's opening to HNIC always features the Captain of the current SC Champion team raising the Cup, so we're going to see a lot of Brown in the HNIC intros next season.

Last edited by TonySCV: 06-18-2012 at 10:48 AM.
TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote