Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stars sign G Christopher Nihlstorp

Old
06-06-2012, 02:59 PM
BigG44

vCash: 500
The Goalie Guild put up his article about Dallas signing Nihlstorp with quotes from Mike Valley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Valley
Cristopher has played very well in the Swedish Elite League, and obviously our scouts over in Europe had seen him play and had given us great comments and feedback about him. I had the opportunity to get on the phone with Erik Granqvist his goalie coach in Farjestad and talk to him. He had glowing remarks about Cristopher, and spoke very highly of him not only as a goaltender, but as a person. He’s a highly motivated kid that really wants an opportunity to show that he can be playing at the best level in the world. I had an opportunity to do some video work on him, got a feel for how he played. Our management spoke to a lot of coaches and contacts that we have in Sweden, and every comment that we got back came across really strong, and it was an opportunity we wanted to jump on in terms of trying to signing him.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Valley
I feel really fortunate because we have a really tight group here in Dallas. It starts with Joe, and how he runs an organization, how he treats people with so much respect, and how he trusts the people he has put in place. So whether it’s Joe or Les Jackson or anyone else in the front office, all of these guys are fantastic people that really utilize the group that they have around them. I feel lucky that I can be involved in conversations with our pro and amateur scouts. They come to me and ask opinions and vice-versa; I can go to them and ask their opinion on certain goaltenders. It’s just a really good supportive staff that we have here. I try to do everything I can to bring them as much information as possible on goaltenders inside and outside of the league, and I’m honored they’ve shown a lot of trust in what I consider to be a real solid and structured plan for all of our goalies in the organization.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 04:43 PM
BigG44

So the Texas Stars just signed former Michigan Tech goaltender Josh Robinson to a two-way AHL deal (AHL or ECHL).

Here's what Goalie Guild had to say:

Quote:
The Goalie Guild ‏@TheGoalieGuild

Robinson's development soared this past season with the Huskies behind the great guidance of Steve Shields. He's a good young prospect.
Quote:
The Goalie Guild ‏@TheGoalieGuild

Robinson's deal with Texas is similar to the one John Muse signed with Charlotte (AHL) last summer. I'll be interviewing Josh pretty soon.
So I take back my belief that they'll wait to make a move with a goalie. You can't really have 6 goalies under contract can you?

Plus, this guy isn't signing just so he can be an ECHL backup. He's either backing up in the AHL or the more likely scenario, playing in the ECHL with Idaho.

IDK what they hell they'll do ... The smart thing would be to give up on Besko. Bachman's value just can't be that high. It would be poor asset management IMO. If you're going to give up and dump someone ... don't do it to the guy with the lowest value?

Old
06-06-2012, 04:59 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Saw that too. I really have no idea wtf they're doing.

Quote:
IDK what they hell they'll do ... The smart thing would be to give up on Besko. Bachman's value just can't be that high. It would be poor asset management IMO. If you're going to give up and dump someone ... don't do it to the guy with the lowest value?
Wouldn't Besko have the lowest value right now? So they should keep him?

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 05:03 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Nah, you don't give up on Besko. Bachman's value may not be the highest, but he has some for sure. Probably more than Campbell. Goalie prospects have little to no trade value until they've shown they can compete in the NHL. Does Bachman have as much experience as Smith had? Nope. Could he build even more value with great play by next deadline? Possibly. But he could also erode value if he doesn't have as much success.

Kari-Nihlstorp
Campbell-Besko

is what I'd expect to see.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 05:12 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
Saw that too. I really have no idea wtf they're doing.

Wouldn't Besko have the lowest value right now? So they should keep him?
He does IMO. That was a typo.

Should have said, "Don't you do it [give up on] to the guy with the lowest value" ... it was intended to be a question.

Old
06-06-2012, 05:13 PM
BigG44

Per Mike Valley ... Nihlstorp will be attending the July development camp.

Per that article I quoted for Josh Robinson, he will also attend, and the dates of the camp are July 5th to 11th. That's a nice long camp.

Old
06-06-2012, 05:21 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Nah, you don't give up on Besko. Bachman's value may not be the highest, but he has some for sure. Probably more than Campbell. Goalie prospects have little to no trade value until they've shown they can compete in the NHL. Does Bachman have as much experience as Smith had? Nope. Could he build even more value with great play by next deadline? Possibly. But he could also erode value if he doesn't have as much success.

Kari-Nihlstorp
Campbell-Besko

is what I'd expect to see.
That's true that he could regress.

Maybe Ben Smith for Bachman from Chicago? I'd prefer Jimmy Hayes.

Old
06-06-2012, 05:52 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
I doubt Chicago needs a goalie of Bachman's calibre if they already have Alec Richards and Salak in the wings.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 06:16 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

You all laughed at me when I said that Goalie was the organizational weakness (in addition to center). Well who is laughing now?

I foresee many draft picks traded away to move up in the draft.

Mr Misty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 10:44 PM
Hegemon21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
You all laughed at me when I said that Goalie was the organizational weakness (in addition to center). Well who is laughing now?

I foresee many draft picks traded away to move up in the draft.
I'm laughing too man. You should send in your application to be the next GM.

Hegemon21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:38 PM
BeaverSports

Would the Stars maybe be dangling Campbell as part of a package for some top-line talent?

BeaverSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:48 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverSports View Post
Would the Stars maybe be dangling Campbell as part of a package for some top-line talent?
They took such a risk drafting him, and it appears to have been worth it so far (at least that Campbell is on schedule, not that Fowler wouldn't help the team more maybe), that I don't think this is likely. As others have said before, Oleksiak and Campbell are part of GMJN's legacy, and I would be surprised to see him move them before they reach the NHL.

Old
06-07-2012, 12:11 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
There is no way GMJN will give up a 20 year old potential franchise goalie for top line talent. Especially when your current #1 is prone to missing 20 games/year minimum and is pushing 30.

Why trade top flight potential for other top flight potential? Unless there is absolutely no room for it?

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:51 AM
glovesave_35
Name

I've said it before but I think the worst thing that could happen with Campbell is that he gets traded and succeeds somewhere else - even worse than not being traded and failing here. They went out on a bit of a limb to draft a goalie that high, especially when this franchise has never needed to do that to get successful goaltending, so I at least hope he's ours when he succeeds or fails.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:59 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

The only way either is going anywhere is if it's a trade so ridiculous it wouldn't even be offered.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:00 AM
BeaverSports

Campbell isn't showing the signs of being anything close to a franchise goaltender in my eyes and you're going to have Lehtonen long enough that at best you'll have a Cory Schneider situation — and I don't think he has that potential. If you can get value for him now, I would.

Old
06-07-2012, 10:19 AM
Starsdude

The Campbell and Glennie selections have set back this franchise years. Combine that with the Neal deal and GMJ is the luckiest man on the planet to still have a job. Again, simply taking the highest rated player still left (MPS or Cowen in 2009 and Fowler) would be infintely better. Without the Benn selection we would be one of the worst teams in the league and still might be. Getting lets is not enough, he has not got us to the playoffs and despite the accolades here, is no more than a middling goalie top 10-20 in the league.

Starsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:59 AM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsdude View Post
The Campbell and Glennie selections have set back this franchise years. Combine that with the Neal deal and GMJ is the luckiest man on the planet to still have a job. Again, simply taking the highest rated player still left (MPS or Cowen in 2009 and Fowler) would be infintely better. Without the Benn selection we would be one of the worst teams in the league and still might be. Getting lets is not enough, he has not got us to the playoffs and despite the accolades here, is no more than a middling goalie top 10-20 in the league.
It is interesting to think about. If we had taken cowen/kulikov followed by fowler do we still draft oleksiak last year? Imagine a young dcore with these guys. kulikov, fowler, oleksiak, dillon, larsen and nemeth. That could be a scary good group. Maybe we dont draft oleksiak and instead take jt miller or mark mcneil vastly improving the organizational center depth. Hell if we had taken Kulikov maybe we would have also been willing to take a swipe at Vladislav Namestnikov who looks like a future stud for tampa.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:09 AM
Hegemon21

I think some need to tap the brakes on saying Campbell isn't capable of being the future number one starter on this team in the future. The fact is some team was going to draft him in the first round because he was thought of very highly. It just so happens the Stars were the ones to do so. Let's give him a full year of starting in the AHL and playing in front of a hopefully decent D and then we can judge his potential a bit better.

Hegemon21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:14 AM
BigG44

Quote from Nihlstorp:

Quote:
A large part of my choice is based in the goalie coach. I feel it is important to continue with someone who works in a similar way to what I have done now. I want to continue to develop my goalie game and feel that the opportunity is located in Dallas

Old
06-07-2012, 11:30 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
It is interesting to think about. If we had taken cowen/kulikov followed by fowler do we still draft oleksiak last year? Imagine a young dcore with these guys. kulikov, fowler, oleksiak, dillon, larsen and nemeth. That could be a scary good group. Maybe we dont draft oleksiak and instead take jt miller or mark mcneil vastly improving the organizational center depth. Hell if we had taken Kulikov maybe we would have also been willing to take a swipe at Vladislav Namestnikov who looks like a future stud for tampa.
Ask Chicago fans how they feel about McNeill these days.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:11 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Ask Chicago fans how they feel about McNeill these days.
I know they arent exactly thrilled with him but maybe they have unrealistic expectations. They drafted a guy who projects as a 2nd or 3rd line center. If the Stars take a center at 13 this year he will likely project as a 2nd or 3rd line center.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 02:17 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Campbell isn't showing the signs of being anything close to a franchise goaltender in my eyes and you're going to have Lehtonen long enough that at best you'll have a Cory Schneider situation — and I don't think he has that potential. If you can get value for him now, I would.
See, this is what I don't like. You, along with most other non-Stars fans on here (I know you are one, though), don't ever watch Campbell, you just look at the stats. His stats are terrible. But look at the systems he was playing under. Pretty much pure offense, run and gun. Not even the most elite goalies can put up great numbers with a system like that. Look at Fleury, for example.

If you actually get out and watch him, he's something special. Compare his AHL stats to Bachman and Besko (small stint, though) and they're actually great. I can't wait to see him under a better system, one that actually plays defense, next season just to prove all of those haters wrong. Every coach or player he's played under/with has said he's a tremendous goalie and is often the reason they're even in the game. He's still got franchise potential, and he's been living up it so far.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 02:47 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
What are you basing this off of? Goalies take time to develop, and he has barely had a sniff of pro hockey. He hasn't proven anything yet, but he is exactly where I expected him to be by this time in his career. Anyone who thought Campbell would be knocking on the NHL door by now should realize their expectations, and not Campbell's performance, is the problem.

Old
06-07-2012, 05:41 PM
BeaverSports

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
See, this is what I don't like. You, along with most other non-Stars fans on here (I know you are one, though), don't ever watch Campbell, you just look at the stats. His stats are terrible. But look at the systems he was playing under. Pretty much pure offense, run and gun. Not even the most elite goalies can put up great numbers with a system like that. Look at Fleury, for example.
You do know I'm not a Stars fan? I've been a Stars fan since the early 1980s in Minnesota, and I live in Ontario, so I actually have seen Campbell more than you have... but keep discounting that. He doesn't have the mental makeup of a No. 1 in my opinion. Time will tell, but I bet you'll agree with me in time.