Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

Stars sign G Christopher Nihlstorp

Old
06-07-2012, 05:38 PM
SonicSpeedDash
20% Cooler

vCash: 500
So lets just throw Campbell under the bus without a full season of pro? Yeah real good.

SonicSpeedDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 06:23 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverSports View Post
You do know I'm not a Stars fan? I've been a Stars fan since the early 1980s in Minnesota, and I live in Ontario, so I actually have seen Campbell more than you have... but keep discounting that. He doesn't have the mental makeup of a No. 1 in my opinion. Time will tell, but I bet you'll agree with me in time.
I could have sworn one of the big things Jackson liked in Campbell was his mental game. Hell, here's a part of HF's scouting report.

"...Never gives up on plays and competes hard on every shot. ... Loves to compete, has a winning attitude, confidence and is always looking to improve. Consistency of any young goalie can be called into question and Campbell is no exception, maturity should ward off those untimely soft goals."

Plus here's Mark Stepenski's article on Campbell's status at the end of this year:

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/stars...ack-campbell-2

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 06:31 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
They drafted a guy who projects as a 2nd or 3rd line center.
He projected as a higher end #2 center but was at worst seen as a 3rd liner. I'm not saying I wouldn't want him in the fold but having things turn out the way they did isn't something I'm concerned about. As annoyed as I was with the Campbell pick at the time I've made peace with it. I'm particularly happy with the Oleksiak pick as I think he's a better defense prospect than McNeill is at center; both were safe picks though.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 09:30 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverSports View Post
You do know I'm not a Stars fan? I've been a Stars fan since the early 1980s in Minnesota, and I live in Ontario, so I actually have seen Campbell more than you have... but keep discounting that. He doesn't have the mental makeup of a No. 1 in my opinion. Time will tell, but I bet you'll agree with me in time.
Sorry, misclarifed. I know you are a Stars' fan. My bad.

You have probably seen him more, but from what I saw, he looked stellar.

And I thought his mental game was what made him such a special player. His work ethic is unreal, that's for sure not the problem.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:25 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
Mental game isn't the same as work ethic. Campbell has already had to see a sports psychologist. There are some questions there. Also he's not on schedule. If things had gone the way the Stars wanted them to he would already have a full year in the AHL under his belt.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 12:22 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Also he's not on schedule. If things had gone the way the Stars wanted them to he would already have a full year in the AHL under his belt.

As far as I'm concerned he's right on schedule, especially when you consider that he was drafted out of the USNDT, a system sorely lacking in terms of schedule length; hell he barely played at all during his draft year. Add to that the fact that by all accounts the Texas Stars were a mess last season and personally I'm glad he wasn't there to be a part of that in his first pro season, as a 19 year old.

I also really don't care that he's seen a sports psychologist. We don't know the purpose and quite frankly it could just show a willingness for him to seek any method of correcting issues. IRL some people would gladly go talk to a pyschologist while others feel it has some sort of stigma, maybe Campbell's just more of the former.

Old
06-08-2012, 02:48 AM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Also he's not on schedule. If things had gone the way the Stars wanted them to he would already have a full year in the AHL under his belt.
Don't players who play major junior need to be either in the NHL or go back to major junior before they turn 20? I read something about this that used Oleksiak as an example because he initially played for Northeastern and had an advantage because he could leave for the AHL while others can't, but I don't remember exactly what the point of the article was. People who actually know something about major junior, feel free to jump in.

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 03:49 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
Don't players who play major junior need to be either in the NHL or go back to major junior before they turn 20? I read something about this that used Oleksiak as an example because he initially played for Northeastern and had an advantage because he could leave for the AHL while others can't, but I don't remember exactly what the point of the article was. People who actually know something about major junior, feel free to jump in.
I'm no expert but from what I can tell they were basically in the same situation. Neither was drafted out of major junior hockey, one the USNDT and the other NCAA. The fact that they subsequently played in the CHL doesn't change their AHL eligibility as far as I know.

Old
06-08-2012, 06:21 AM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Glovesave is correct. That only applies to players drafted out of a Canadian junior league. That means they were playing in the league when they were drafted. For example ... if you draft Olli Maatta this year, he can't play in the AHL for 2 years. If you draft Zemgus Girgensons, he can play in the AHL immediately.

As far as Campbell being behind schedule because he didn't play in the AHL this season ... I don't think that could be further from the truth.

I'm starting to hate Jack Campbell ... and it has nothing to do with the player. Every time his name comes up it's just constant *****ing and moaning.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 06:29 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Oh yeah ... I read that article as well ... that was shoddy writing. Speaking of *****ing and moaning ... a Canadian writer was whining how unfair the current system is that prevents Dougie Hamilton from playing in the AHL next season but allows Oleksiak to make the jump because he was drafted out of the NCAA.

Jamie Olekisak's age allows him to play in the AHL next season regardless of where he was drafted. 19 year old plays who turn 20 before December 31st (you see them refereed to as late births in draft talk) can play in the AHL. Tomas Vincour was drafted out of the WHL, but he was in the AHL just 1 season after his draft. That was because he's a late birth.

If you're going to take a stand about a topic ... it might be smart to actually use some logic and come up with a decent example. I wish I remember who the writer was, but regardless I brought that up in the comments section. Instead of acknowledging the mistake, IIRC he just changed the article. Now it reads, "that even though Oleksiak didn't play in the AHL last year ... he could of ... and I'm still going to whine about that".

The funny thing is though I doubt many Canadians involved in junior hockey would agree. In fact, I think they'd bring out the torches and pitchforks if someone actually tried to change the rule. Those major junior leagues don't want to give up their assets to the AHL any sooner than they have to. As much as the CHL is a developmental league, it's also big, big business in Canada. They're not going to willingly water down their product.

Last edited by BigG44: 06-08-2012 at 06:35 AM.
Old
06-08-2012, 12:00 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

I honestly wanna see Campbell succeed even more just to shut everyone up. People don't like the pick, and I have a feeling that even if Fowler and Gormley weren't there, they still wouldn't like it.

As for him being on schedule, I really couldn't care less. Lehtonen still has more than a few good years ahead of him, and I think getting the most out of both goalies is the best thing to do right now. If Campbell's ready, though, you've gotta go with him, and it seems pretty clear that the organization knows that as well. But there's absolutely no need to rush him.

I'm starting to think management has a preference for players with a later birthday or that can come to the AHL whenever, as they get a lot more say in their development. It seems like we've had several players in the last few drafts go that route, and it's been a common theme since GMJN showed up. Maybe it's nothing, but it wouldn't surprise me if he's targeting players like that.

Old
06-08-2012, 02:30 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Kulikov, to this day, pisses me off way more than Campbell, though I hated the Campbell selection then too. They saw Russian and never even spoke to the kid. Passing on a different Russian talent because Radulov bolted is beyond dumb.

Assuming they miss on Parise and Suter but add let's say Stoll and the fabled Morrow+ for Spooner trade where do you see this team finishing in the West? Can you really go for the 5th year in a row on the outside looking in for the 8th spot?

Do you try to move Robidas before the season? Do you trade Ryder, Lehtonen, and Ribeiro at the deadline?

I know both Gagliardi and GMJN both want to make the playoffs but that roster above with only Stoll won't be enough, will it? What do you have to do, starting at the draft, to have a firm plan if not for 2012 then 2013?

Hull Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 02:41 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Kulikov, to this day, pisses me off way more than Campbell, though I hated the Campbell selection then too. They saw Russian and never even spoke to the kid. Passing on a different Russian talent because Radulov bolted is beyond dumb.

Assuming they miss on Parise and Suter but add let's say Stoll and the fabled Morrow+ for Spooner trade where do you see this team finishing in the West? Can you really go for the 5th year in a row on the outside looking in for the 8th spot?

Do you try to move Robidas before the season? Do you trade Ryder, Lehtonen, and Ribeiro at the deadline?

I know both Gagliardi and GMJN both want to make the playoffs but that roster above with only Stoll won't be enough, will it? What do you have to do, starting at the draft, to have a firm plan if not for 2012 then 2013?
whoa what

Old
06-08-2012, 02:45 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Until Scott Glennie justifies being the 8th overall selection, I'll continue to hate that pick.

06-08-2012, 03:09 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
whoa what
he's a UFA after this season. If you believe in Campbell trading Lehtonen and riding Bachman for a year or so isn't the worst thing in the world. I don't want to be in a situation like Vancouver or Boston where you give the older guy a fat contract but when the younger guy is ready there are internal issues and NTCs.

Hull Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 11:52 AM
BigG44

100 Degree Hockey brought up a really good point.

Josh Robinson could easily be a signing that the organization was planning on placing with Allen (CHL). His idea is that since Dallas has major ties with Allen now (Modano, Belfour, Ludwig, and Matvichuk), the organization may start assisting with talent in that team.

It does make sense though so the organization depth chart could be:

NHL: Lehtonen, Bachman

AHL: Campbell, Nihlstorp

ECHL: Beskorowany

CHL: Robinson (On contract with Texas, not Dallas)

That's just fine IMO, and you wouldn't have to trade anyone.