HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kuba Won't Be Back

Old
06-06-2012, 07:04 AM
koreaboy

vCash: 500
guys, forget suter. he aint coming here, not a chance.

i can see the logic in letting kuba walk. yes, he was very solid last year and helped us win, but he's getting old and there's a lot of reasons why paying him the probable $4mil+ on a 3+ year deal isn't smart. i wish him luck, but i think there are better ways to fill his roster spot long term in our organization.

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 07:26 AM
BK201

Cmon Guys it's Cowen not Cowan. I'm not a grammar Nazi I'm probably the worst speller on these boards but cmon it's on his jersey. It's like writing elfredsson, or kerlsson, or something crazy like spessa.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 08:13 AM
FightingIrish
Total Lak of Respek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topside View Post
lol Kuba leaving = better tank for 1st overall because we have no shot.
Queue the "I ain't even mad" avatars.

I'm down.

Not srs

Semi srs

Dead srs

FightingIrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 08:44 AM
SenzZen
Up Late With McBain

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Says No View Post
better, but again you are suggesting a bottom 2 defenseman. we don't need those, we need a top guy to play with karlsson.

i think borowiecki can bring similar style to zanon if he plays a full season.
A "top guy" like Jackman, Garrison or Kuba, right?

We need a guy to replace Kuba. There's lots of those around the league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
They org. Isn't very down on Wiercoich. If we need to promote from within to try and fill a role Kuba played, I'd bring up Wiercoich 10 times out of 10 over Boro.

In fact the org. Has Wiercoich and Turris here with the teams training staff the whole summer to prepare for this season.
Boro doesn't need someone to hold his hand in order to find the gym- whereas the other 2 are string beans.

SenzZen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 09:22 AM
FightingIrish
Total Lak of Respek

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenzZen View Post

Boro doesn't need someone to hold his hand in order to find the gym- whereas the other 2 are string beans.
This.

Wiercioch needs to put on an insane amount of mass, 192lbs at 6'4 is basically a toothpick -- It would be like a 5'10 guy at 140lbs.

He needs to get up to atleast 225lbs. By the time he adds that amount, I think he'll be ready make a ruckus coming out of camp.

FightingIrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 09:25 AM
Tuna99

I think Murray is going to go out and get a nice, slow, steady veteran Dguy - he loves adding them - J Smith, Gonchar, Richardson, Commodore, Carkner - he'll do it again but hopefully the guy we get still has some game.

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 10:13 AM
God Says No

Quote:

well jackman, garrison or kuba are a hell a lot better than buillon, and can handle top minutes. you're using the realistic excuse, but realistically speaking we can get way better guys than buillon or zanon.

God Says No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 10:23 AM
guyzeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingIrish View Post
This.

Wiercioch needs to put on an insane amount of mass, 192lbs at 6'4 is basically a toothpick -- It would be like a 5'10 guy at 140lbs.

He needs to get up to atleast 225lbs. By the time he adds that amount, I think he'll be ready make a ruckus coming out of camp.
the 5,10 guy would be more like 177lbs

or the 6 foot guy would be 182lbs, it's not that bad.

Anywhere above 210 and should be fine.

By the way he is listed as 200lbs on Bingo's website.

http://www.binghamtonsenators.com/te...l?player_id=62

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 10:36 AM
sens83

Officer Farva obviously hasn't watched much of Wiercioch and Boro playing in Binghamton. If he has, he'd see that Boro is clearly better and more NHL ready than Wiercioch. Patrick needs another year or seasoning. Boro could be a bottom pair D-man this year for Ottawa and should be considered a replacement for Carkner, if he leaves. Although I think it is unwise to let Carkner go.

sens83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 10:47 AM
SenzZen
Up Late With McBain

Quote:
well jackman, garrison or kuba are a hell a lot better than buillon, and can handle top minutes. you're using the realistic excuse, but realistically speaking we can get way better guys than buillon or zanon.
But we aren't going to empty the coffers to sign the guys you want- who aren't worth it anyway.

I doubt you've seen any of them play more than 5 times in the past year besides Kuba- who was far better than he was the year before, but still propped up by Karlsson. We shouldn't have to overpay a guy to be made to look better than he is by playing with Karlsson.

Old
06-06-2012, 10:48 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Karlsson struggles and we'll know exactly where everyone will look - his partner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna99
I think Murray is going to go out and get a nice, slow, steady veteran Dguy - he loves adding them - J Smith, Gonchar, Richardson, Commodore, Carkner - he'll do it again but hopefully the guy we get still has some game.
Sounds like Kuba.

I think he's getting a bit underrated in this thread.

I can't imagine it's easy to play with Karlsson. We'll find out soon enough.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 10:50 AM
SenzZen
Up Late With McBain

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Karlsson struggles and we'll know exactly where everyone will look - his partner.

Bite your tongue, and touch wood.

Old
06-06-2012, 10:53 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

I'd have resigned Filip to a one-year contract but I'd understand if he'd be looking for more years.

Personally, I don't think there are a ton of veteran guys out there who can play both special teams, put up 22-25 minutes a game and have a little size to go along with the package.

Old
06-06-2012, 10:56 AM
God Says No

Quote:
But we aren't going to empty the coffers to sign the guys you want- who aren't worth it anyway.

I doubt you've seen any of them play more than 5 times in the past year besides Kuba- who was far better than he was the year before, but still propped up by Karlsson. We shouldn't have to overpay a guy to be made to look better than he is by playing with Karlsson.
so your solution is get buillon to play with karlsson. ok.

i'm done arguing with you.

Old
06-06-2012, 10:57 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

A guy has a Norris type season and we let his partner go.

A little strange, but I guess Murray has a plan.

Old
06-06-2012, 11:12 AM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

Quote:

Sutton looked pretty good with Karlsson too and he let him go, he also looked good with Cowen at the start of the year, and he's still here! I think he/the team will be fine, especially since were still rebuilding.

JonnyMacSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:14 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:

This. Even though Kuba isn't the best of top-pairing defenders, he's one of the best that's available in UFA. Suter, Garrison, Schultz(Potential), Jackman and Kubina are only better or on par.

I still think that Murray will sign a forward via free agency: Parenteau and make a trade for a young top 4 defender if he can't sign Schultz.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:21 AM
Zillaege

Quote:

There are 2 things leading to this decision by Murray I think:

1. First and foremost, we're still in a rebuild, and we need to build a defense for the long term. Over the next 2-3 seasons, all of Kuba, Gonchar, and Phillips need to be replaced. Re-signing Kuba to a 1 or 2 year deal would mean we need to replace 3 top 4 defenseman in a 12 month period, which is nearly impossible for an organization that struggles to attract UFA's. Allowing Kuba to walk now puts us in a position of only replacing 1 top 4 defenseman each summer, a much easier task (especially if development by Cowen, Borowiecki, Wiercioch etc. allow us to fill those holes internally).

2. The organization might believe Karlsson made Kuba look better than he really was this year. Kuba deferred much of the puck moving to Karlsson this year, and played much more of a stay at home role, which is a role that can be filled by a more physical replacement. Karlsson strikes me as the type of player who makes those around him look better; Cowen played his best hockey this year when paired with Karlsson. Perhaps the hope is that if we replace Kuba with a younger, more physical replacement - any of Garrison, Jackman or Allen fit the bill - we won't lose much in the way of puck movement, but we'll gain much more in the way of physicality and defensive play.

Zillaege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:26 AM
Zillaege

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
This. Even though Kuba isn't the best of top-pairing defenders, he's one of the best that's available in UFA. Suter, Garrison, Schultz(Potential), Jackman and Kubina are only better or on par.

I still think that Murray will sign a forward via free agency: Parenteau and make a trade for a young top 4 defender if he can't sign Schultz.
Very likely scenario in my mind. Parenteau has ties to the area, making him much easier to lure as a UFA. We could then easily leverage our depth of talented young forwards into a young, top 4 defenseman. Foligno would garner a lot of interest if he was offered around IMO. Ideally we just sign a top 4 defenseman and not have to spend any assets, but we certainly have the assets to make a trade if need be

Old
06-06-2012, 11:37 AM
derriko

Well at least I won't have to wonder anymore how a guy that is 6"4 230 could be so uninterested physically

derriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:39 AM
God Says No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillaege View Post
Very likely scenario in my mind. Parenteau has ties to the area, making him much easier to lure as a UFA. We could then easily leverage our depth of talented young forwards into a young, top 4 defenseman. Foligno would garner a lot of interest if he was offered around IMO. Ideally we just sign a top 4 defenseman and not have to spend any assets, but we certainly have the assets to make a trade if need be
i don't know. i'm leery of pap, but i haven't seen him play that much except the couple times against the sens. he seems more of a passer than a shooter, which means he doesn't really fit with spezza. i wish we could get a sniper, but we can only dream.

i think bryan murray only goes after ufa defenseman and not sign any forwards, unless alfredsson retires.

Old
06-06-2012, 11:41 AM
Rumcajs

Scott Hannan is the answer. Nice veteran who will pay for cheap but will give a lot.

Rumcajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:44 AM
KarlSen

No problem with him going UFA. He will likely get more term and $$ than the Sens are interested in committing to. Thankful for the season he had and the help for Karlsson.

It is still a rebuild and the window to let older, though useful, guys go to make room for younger players. I would like to see a D with more jam now.

KarlSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:58 AM
Zillaege

Quote:
i don't know. i'm leery of pap, but i haven't seen him play that much except the couple times against the sens. he seems more of a passer than a shooter, which means he doesn't really fit with spezza. i wish we could get a sniper, but we can only dream.

i think bryan murray only goes after ufa defenseman and not sign any forwards, unless alfredsson retires.
Spezza and Michalek combined for 69 goals this year, there aren't many duos that scored more. I don't really believe that line needs another shooter, if anything they need another puck possession player to take some of the pressure off of Spezza in that regard. Michalek is simply not a puck possession player, he's a transition player with a knack for scoring goals in tight. Spezza needs a winger he can play keep away with, it's why he's so effective with Alfie on his wing. When he doesn't have another puck possession player to play with, that's when he gets into trouble by trying to do too much by himself, rather than using his linemates.

Old
06-06-2012, 12:01 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

Everyone should keep in mind, all of this just means Kuba wants to see what the best UFA offer he can get, before considering what the Sens have offered, which is a pay cut and a short-term deal. If the Sens offered him $2.5-$3M per year over two years, that still might be in the range of the best offer he gets. So who knows. The risk for Kuba, is the Sens could sign someone else with that money in early July and Kuba will be left without that as a back-up. Such are the risks, with going to UFA status.

I can personally understand why Kuba would want to wait - it's probably not a huge risk. But I can also understand Murray's approach. Paying Kuba close to $4M with his injury history and the risks that come with signing a 35+ guy in terms of the cap rules, well, Kuba isn't exactly a low risk guy in that regard.

Signing a veteran with some real toughness would be a better choice anyway. Our D is VERY soft without Carkner, even with Boro on the 3rd pairing. We need a touch of nasty, ideally paired up with Karlsson at times to provide a bit of a deterent. Barrett Jackman might be a good choice in that regard.

Dr.Sens(e) is offline   Reply With Quote