HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Defensive Lineup in 2-3 years.

Old
06-06-2012, 12:38 AM
kiwidevil

vCash: 500
Larsson - Greene
UFA - Merrill
Volchenkov - Fayne/Urbom/Gelinas

While I would love Urbom/Gelinas etc. to step in and work and not need a UFA signing. I don't think it is realistic.

kiwidevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 12:38 AM
KohoDonuts88

I think Taormina goes elsewhere with a better opportunity to play. Urbom's probably another year away. Love Sal, but we need to let him go. Honestly surprised by Gelinas' year. Saw him a ton in the Q, and didn't think he'd be anything special in the pros. Obviously still has to prove he can play in the show, but shows why I'm not a scout.

KohoDonuts88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 03:41 AM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

i'm fine with volch and zid on the third pairing. honestly that's an ideal third pairing. they'll hold their own and fill roles on special teams. neither should be in our top 4 though.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 05:02 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
These threads usually end up looking silly in 2 years. We will have a pretty damn good defense, lets leave it at that.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 09:09 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
They are terrible for predicting the specific players on the defence, but good for predicting the overall trend. I think most of us agree that our defence should be much improved in a couple years.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 09:14 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlingBard56 View Post
Some of you really can't take someone unknown's opinion can you?

Laugh if you want. I may have not discussed it here, because really, who enjoys being torn apart for their opinion? But I was right about Henrique, I was right about Fayne. As were others. And it seems some of you refuse to eat crow when you're wrong.

Whatever. It's an internet forum. Enjoy the popularity contest.
certain posters are habitually wrong about everything, but that wont stop them from spewing more garbage about things that they don’t understand. by the time theyre wrong with their latest nostradamus prediction, theyre too busy being wrong about something else to notice. I loved your post though, way to call them out. and I agree about urbom, he could wind up being very good..we simply don’t know yet.

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 09:16 AM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
sharp angle try

vCash: 160
Larsson - random UFA
random undrafted guy - Fayne
Volchenkov - Merrill

Pie can't compete with cake. Put candles in a cake it's a birthday cake. Put candles in a pie, someone's drunk in the kitchen. - Jim Gaffigan
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 09:36 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

I don't care who'll be on our blueline, as long as we don't have one dimensional players who can't handle the puck, I'll be happy.

We are starting to build up a pretty solid core of young blueliners that have size and mobility. The defensive part of it all can always be learned and the fact that we play a "structured system" does facilitate things for our youngsters.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 09:58 AM
KovalSNIPE

So after reading all posts, I can assume we all expect Tallinder to be traded at some point within the next two years?

KovalSNIPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 10:02 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Im surprised I don't see Salvador in any of these. Do you guys believe he will sign with another team this summer?

06-06-2012, 10:07 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Im surprised I don't see Salvador in any of these. Do you guys believe he will sign with another team this summer?
We have too many players under contract for next year (Tallinder, Greene, Zidlicky, Volch + Fayne is a pending RFA) and Larsson will be a regular, that's almost certain.

The fact that we have a weaker version of Salvador signed to a 4.25M$ contract for the next 4 years (Jesus Christ ) will put Lou in ackward position if he does negotiate with Salvador's agent.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:45 AM
KovalSNIPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I would love him back strictly if he can produce offensively (playoffs) and consistent defensively (regular/playoffs), but in all honestly, his time in NJ is over. He had a strong run, but with so many defense under contract and with possible prospects (Urbom, Merrill(?)) playing with the addition of Larsson being full-time and everyone is healthy, he is simply just not in the plans. We all, and Lou too, would love him back, but we need to look forward to the future and Salvador isn't there. He'll probably get a good money in FA with his performance this year.

KovalSNIPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 12:14 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
sharp angle try

vCash: 160
Salvador is 36 years old, in 3 years he will be retired. That's why you don't see him in here.

Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 12:23 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
Salvador is 36 years old, in 3 years he will be retired. That's why you don't see him in here.
He could easily be retired in one year. He overachieved greatly this season and could easily fall off a cliff next year wherever he is.

As much as I love him, as much as we wouldn't be in the finals without him, and as much as no one should ever have to go through what he did last year. From a strictly business perspective I would not give him a raise or sign him for anything longer than one year. 1 year / $3M or let him walk. WAYYY too much risk with his age and injury history.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 12:35 PM
sbresistor

I think Sal signs here one year for about 3mil - doesn't strike me as a money first guy

sbresistor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 12:50 PM
Traitor Zach
Waive Gionta

I don't see any way Salvador is brought back. There's really no room for him financially and when you add in his age, it's kind of a no-brainer. The Devils have a glut of defense prospects who need to get a shot here sooner or later. Devils already have Zidlicky, Greene, Tallinder, Volchenkov in the 3-4.25 mil range per year as well. It doesn't even really make a ton of sense to bring Salvador back on a one year deal as I think if Salvador took a one year deal, he'd like it to be a significant dollar figure which I don't think makes any sense for the Devils either.

Devils will have this issue pop up again the following season with guys like Zubrus and Elias, although in such a case, I'm not sure there's a compelling argument they will have enough internal options to move in for those guys.

Traitor Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 01:42 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by French Roast View Post
I don't see any way Salvador is brought back. There's really no room for him financially and when you add in his age, it's kind of a no-brainer. The Devils have a glut of defense prospects who need to get a shot here sooner or later. Devils already have Zidlicky, Greene, Tallinder, Volchenkov in the 3-4.25 mil range per year as well. It doesn't even really make a ton of sense to bring Salvador back on a one year deal as I think if Salvador took a one year deal, he'd like it to be a significant dollar figure which I don't think makes any sense for the Devils either.

Devils will have this issue pop up again the following season with guys like Zubrus and Elias, although in such a case, I'm not sure there's a compelling argument they will have enough internal options to move in for those guys.
I agree with you. The defence will take a hit, but there isn't much room for Sal with the logjam we have. If there's any hope of improving, we can't cling to a mediocre defencemen at the end of his career. We need to make room for the potential impact players we have coming up.

Old
06-06-2012, 01:53 PM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

Trades:

H. Tallinder and B. Salvador's UFA Rights to Nashville for Suter's UFA Rights.
A. Volchenkov to St. Louis for B. Elliot or J. Halak.

Sign:

Suter: 10 yrs, $6,750,000

Line-up in 2013-2014

Suter - Larsson
Gelinas - Fayne
Urbom - Greene

Merrill in AHL.

Last edited by Seto: 06-06-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Seto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:01 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Lou wouldn't trade Tallinder for essentially nothing, and I don't think the Predators plan to trade Suter's rights anyway.

Halak and Elliott play for the Blues, Volchenkov has a full NTC, and Elliott is not likely to be our long term solution in net. The Blues won't trade Halak.

Old
06-06-2012, 02:10 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redarmynative View Post
Trades:

H. Tallinder and B. Salvador's UFA Rights to Nashville for Suter's UFA Rights.
A. Volchenkov to Nashville for B. Elliot or J. Halak.

Sign:

Suter: 10 yrs, $6,750,000

Line-up in 2013-2014

Suter - Larsson
Gelinas - Fayne
Urbom - Greene

Merrill in AHL.
This made me want to puke.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:42 PM
BrodeursCups

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
How are we trading Volch to Nash for players that don't even play there? lol

BrodeursCups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:47 PM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Lou wouldn't trade Tallinder for essentially nothing, and I don't think the Predators plan to trade Suter's rights anyway.

Halak and Elliott play for the Blues, Volchenkov has a full NTC, and Elliott is not likely to be our long term solution in net. The Blues won't trade Halak.
Yea I don't know why I put Nashville.

If Suter doesn't want to sign in Nashville I could see him trading his rights.

We don't need a long term goalie. Just one who can last long enough so that the prospects can develop properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
This made me want to puke.
Congratulations. But just for kicks, why?

Old
06-06-2012, 02:56 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Rights are generally only traded for picks if at all, suter is getting way more than 6.5 a season, and I doubt volchenkov is getting us a starter on his own. People aren't going to give us their treasure for our junk.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:58 PM
BrodeursCups

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
If Suter hits the open market he will get minimum 7.5. He's that good..

BrodeursCups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:59 PM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
Rights are generally only traded for picks if at all, suter is getting way more than 6.5 a season, and I doubt volchenkov is getting us a starter on his own. People aren't going to give us their treasure for our junk.
Well the Suter contract was a stretch but I figured that we can resign Parise and Suter will take a pay cut to play with him.

Elliot isn't a starter. He is a product of a great defense. Ask any Blues fan. It isn't really treasure when you have another more capable, younger one.