HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues Fans Choice Awards

Old
06-05-2012, 06:15 PM
Blanick
Winter is coming

vCash: 500
Blues Fans Choice Awards

On the Blues website they are holding their annual Fans Choice Awards

Thought it would be fun and lets be honest give us something to talk about to discuss our choices

Vote Here

My Choices
Team MVP: Alex Pietrangelo - He was everything for our team this year, he brought offense and defense. Should have been in the Norris final 3.

Best Defenseman: Alex Pietrangelo - For reasons stated above

Biggest Surprise: Brian Elliott - Going from the goalie nobody wanted to being one of the best in the league this year is nothing short of amazing

Best Forward: David Perron - Coming back from his injury and being only being twelve points off from our point leader in 24 less games. His defensive game really came along this year too.

Unsung Hero: Roman Polak - Again this year he did his job very quietly and very effective, why couldn't he be left handed

Most Popular Player: T.J. Oshie - I think Pietrangelo made a dent but Osh is still holding a firm lead for most popular player.

Best Moment: For me the Best moment had to be David Perron scoring on his first shot back from injury. I was in the building and it was just waiting to explode which it did when that shot went in. Even though we lost that made the day for me.

So... what do u guys think?

Blanick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 07:08 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Unsung – Jackman, actually. Had his best season as a Blue. Had a rough playoffs (as did Shattenkirk) but there's no question 109 points has a lot to do with Jackman's very strong play all season.

Best Moment – 1A. Langenbrunner & Perron scoring late in Game 5 against the Sharks in the span of a minute to clinch that series. 1B. Perron coming back and scoring is essentially tied with this but they did lose that game at home to the Hawks which was a bummer. 3. Sobotka-to-Pietrangelo in OT at Pittsburgh in Crosby's 2d game back. That was just an incredible hockey game to watch.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 08:42 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Unsung Hero-Roman Polak. Without question.

Moment of the Year-A lot to choose from, but I'll go with Schwartz scoring on his first shot in the NHL, which ended up being the game winner. Seems like a great kid, and seems like the players enjoy having him around.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 08:44 PM
BlueDream

Yeah I almost voted for Petro's game-winner against Pittsburgh as well because that game was amazing. So fun to watch.

But how can you not pick the series winner against San Jose? So I went with that.

Other picks. Elliott as team MVP, Pietrangelo as best d-man, Backes as best forward, and I gave Shatty a vote for most popular since he's my favorite.

Just thinking about this whole season though, and Hitchcock and the core that we have makes me really excited for next year and beyond. Great future ahead of us, just gotta keep going until we get that Cup.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 08:47 PM
Bruv
to here knows when

Team MVP: Alex Pietrangelo.

Best Defenseman: Alex Pietrangelo.

Biggest Surprise: Brian Elliott, no doubt.

Best Forward: David Perron, was great in an injury shortened year, showed 70-point potential.

Unsung Hero: Roman Polak, DON'T OPEN THE ****ING DOOR.

Most Popular Player: Oshhhh

Best Moment: Beating the Sharks to advance.

Last edited by Bruv: 06-07-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Bruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 10:29 PM
Steve Doan
RIP Oscar

I dont think the big Czech gets enough credit for what he does, he's gonna be one of the top defensive defensemen in hockey by the time he is 30, definatley our unsung hero

Steve Doan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 12:20 AM
Memento
Missourian.

Team MVP: Alex Pietrangelo. There were a ton of valuable players on our roster, but Pietrangelo was a primary reason why the Blues were so good this year.

Best Defenseman: Alex Pietrangelo. He will be a Norris winner in the near future. Bank on it.

Biggest Surprise: Brian Elliott. Nobody wanted him. Nobody thought he would amount to anything. Some of us even thought that Bishop would beat him out for the backup job. But he managed to form a two-headed monster with Halak and literally carried us for a vast majority of the season.

Best Forward: David Backes. This guy went against every top line with the intention of shutting them down. The vast majority of the time, he succeeded. He also provided an offensive threat to go along with his physical play, and he most certainly deserves his Selke nomination.

Unsung Hero: Vladimir Sobotka. This was a tough decision. Polak and Jackman were also options, but I have to give credit to Sobotka. The guy played every game, was a top penalty killer for us, spent some time on the power play, switched between the third and fourth lines without any dropoff, and was one of our best defensive forwards with a little more offense than expected.

Most Popular Player: T.J. Oshie. Seriously, I'm just going to nominate him for this award every year he's with the team. I can't see anyone taking this title away from him.

Best Moment: Halak getting a shutout win against the Canadiens in Montreal. Seriously epic moment.

Memento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 12:24 AM
Ghost Face
Hull of Fame

MVP: Pietrangelo
Best Defencemen: Pietrangelo
Best Forward: Perron
Biggest Surprise: Elliot (all very obvious picks)
Most Popular: Oshie
Unsung Hero: Sobotka - one of the teams best forecheckers, can play on any line(maybe not 1 often...), good pk, finishes every check, more offensive upside than his points indicate. Hitch probably has wet-dreams about him.

edit: forgot Best Moment, how foolish.
It is a tie between the Halak shoot-out save in Winnipeg because it was my first Blues game and that save was 15 feet from me; and of course, clinching the Sharks series in 5 for obvious reasons.

Last edited by Ghost Face: 06-06-2012 at 01:03 AM.
Ghost Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:42 AM
Christmas Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

MVP is tough between Pietrangelo and Backes but I'm leaning toward A.P...

Most popular is easy for Oshie, and Pietrangelo takes best defenseman no problem.

Backes as best forward.

Unsung, I'd say Reaves since he's important for the same reason Thornton was important for Boston last year.

Best moment for me was when they clinched that playoff spot.

Christmas Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 06:17 AM
kfox9611

Best Forward: Backes
Biggest Surprise: Elliot
Unsung Hero: Ryan Reaves- IMO the best player in the last games against LA, did everything asked from him, and honestly who isn't watching everytime you see #75 on the ice. I hope this guy is slotted into the 4th line for years to come.
Best Moment: Beating the Sharks in game 5. Suck it Joe Thornton.

kfox9611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:22 PM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
Forward: Backes
Defenseman: Pietrangelo
Biggest Surprise: Elliott
Most Popular: Backes (at least amongst fans I hang out with)

Best moment: Clinching against the Sharks.

All fairly straightforward so I didn't go into much detail on those. The one I did want to talk about is unsung hero because I think this guy really doesn't get talked about near enough.

Kris Russell was a very solid player for us. Not that guys like Polak, Sobotka didn't but everyone always states them in these categories.

IMO Russell was the best LD we had this year and he was one of very few players that I thought looked ok against Los Angeles.

I'm very happy with that trade and Russell and Polak make a superb third pairing. I think he's the player that goes the most unnoticed amongst Blues fans. Honorable mention to Ryan Reaves as well.

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:31 PM
The Grouch
Enraged

MVP: Alex Pietrangelo
Best Defenseman: Alex Pietrangelo
Best Forward: David Backes
Biggest Surprise: Brian Elliott
Most Popular: Timothy Oshie
Unsung Hero: Barret Jackman

Chris Stewart had a surprising season, but somehow I don't think that's the context that the question was implying.

The Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:40 PM
the

MVP: Alex Pietrangelo
Best Defenseman: Alex Pietrangelo
Best Forward: David Backes
Biggest Surprise: Brian Elliott
Most Popular: Jaroslav Halak
Unsung Hero: Roman Polak
Best Moment: Jaroslav Halak getting 3-0 shutout against Canadiens and gets standing ovation...just WOW!

the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:11 PM
MadDog6

Best Defenseman: Pietrangelo
Best Forward: Backes
Biggest Surprise: Elliott
Unsung Hero: Langenbrunner - Hitchcock regularly said he was like a second coach in the lockerroom. His strength was not on the ice but bringing the team together.
Best Moment: Taking the Central Division

MadDog6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:53 PM
Robb_K

MVP-Pietrangel

Best Defenceman-Pietrangelo

Best forward-Backes

Biggest Surprise-Elliott

Most Popular-Oshie

Unsung Hero-could go to A LOT of Blues' players: Nichol,
Langenbrunner, Sobotka, Polak. Ii's really tough to choose. I'll go with Polak.

Best Moment: Victory over San Jose in Round 1 of the playoffs.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:56 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostfaceKillah View Post
Best Forward: Perron
Biggest Surprise: Elliot (all very obvious picks)
Unsung Hero: Sobotka - one of the teams best forecheckers, can play on any line(maybe not 1 often...), good pk, finishes every check, more offensive upside than his points indicate. Hitch probably has wet-dreams about him.

edit: forgot Best Moment, how foolish.
It is a tie between the Halak shoot-out save in Winnipeg because it was my first Blues game and that save was 15 feet from me; and of course, clinching the Sharks series in 5 for obvious reasons.
Glad to see there are other Winnipeggers that are Blues fans!

Old
06-27-2012, 07:28 PM
Ghost Face
Hull of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
Glad to see there are other Winnipeggers that are Blues fans!
They do exist.

I had the Jets robbed from me when I was the ripe age of 7, so the Blues have been filling that role. Now I have a lifelong team, and a home team to cheer for. The Hull connection just happens to fit perfectly.

Ghost Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:49 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostfaceKillah View Post
They do exist.

I had the Jets robbed from me when I was the ripe age of 7, so the Blues have been filling that role. Now I have a lifelong team, and a home team to cheer for. The Hull connection just happens to fit perfectly.
I left Winnipeg before The Jets arrived. But, I still have each Jets' franchise as my 2nd favourite NHL team. The Jets have a lot of young talent. They should be on the rise for the next several years. The next 5 years should be fun to watch unfold.

Old
07-06-2012, 04:40 AM
FilthyNote*

MVP: Hitchcock. Player? So hard to pick one...

Defenseman: Jackman. His D game was unparalleled last season.

Forward: McDonald. Guy just doesnt ever give up no matter the score.

Surprise: Elliott is an easy choice here so im going to go off the board and say Shatty. Insane year for him.

Unsung Hero: Personally i dont see how its not Nichol. Polak has always had a solid D game that isnt flashy but Nichol was good on the dot and he was the glue for our 4th line and a HUGE reason we could roll any line at any time of any game and be ok.

Most popular: Overall I would say Osh. But just last season I would say Elliott.

Best moment: Actually winning a round in the playoffs and looked like we belonged there.... It didnt last long

FilthyNote* is offline   Reply With Quote