HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hawks Performances after Multi-Year Deals

Old
06-05-2012, 05:29 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

vCash: 500
Hawks Performances after Multi-Year Deals

During and right after the cup run the Hawks locked up a core of players to long term and mulit-year deals. It is fairly common for players to go all out in a contract year and then come back down to earth.

Hossa - He has played up to his contract the majority of the time. Interesting to see what type of player he is post injury.

Toews - Has lived up to his contract and more.
Seabrook - Played well in the year following his extension
Kane & Sharp - Regressed a bit after their contracts
Keith - Regressed

Looking at what many would consider non core.

Crawford - Awful season and playoffs post contract extension. Tough to unload.
Hammer - Regressed after contract extension but tradable.
Frolik - Horrible extension. May be tough to unload.
Bickell - For 500k, whatever.

I can see Kane having a bounce back year barring distractions. You would hope Crawford almost has to. I just wonder if we already saw the best of some of these guys or the depth of the cup team masked their overall potential. So now we get to see what happens with Oduya.

Thoughts on Hawks that management has locked up.

HawksFan74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 06:15 PM
Rexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
During and right after the cup run the Hawks locked up a core of players to long term and mulit-year deals. It is fairly common for players to go all out in a contract year and then come back down to earth.

Hossa - He has played up to his contract the majority of the time. Interesting to see what type of player he is post injury.

Toews - Has lived up to his contract and more.
Seabrook - Played well in the year following his extension
Keith - Regressed

Looking at what many would consider non core.

Crawford - Awful season and playoffs post contract extension. Tough to unload.
Hammer - Regressed after contract extension but tradable.
Frolik - Horrible extension. May be tough to unload.
Bickell - For 500k, whatever.

I can see Kane having a bounce back year barring distractions. You would hope Crawford almost has to. I just wonder if we already saw the best of some of these guys or the depth of the cup team masked their overall potential. So now we get to see what happens with Oduya.

Thoughts on Hawks that management has locked up.
I don't think Hammer regressed. He was signed for too much, but is playing the same as he was at the time. Maybe if he was given a better role, he would exceed? He sure excelled in the World Championships.

Rexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 06:48 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexy View Post
I don't think Hammer regressed. He was signed for too much, but is playing the same as he was at the time. Maybe if he was given a better role, he would exceed? He sure excelled in the World Championships.
Possible and the Hawks were forced in to that one. I watched the last game of the WC, none of the Hawks looked particularly good in that game.

Old
06-05-2012, 07:04 PM
Panzerspitze

Stahlberg?

Panzerspitze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 08:49 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

Sharp one less goal and one less assist, but his +/- went from -1 to +28.

A lot of the core guys will have better point totals if we fix the awful powerplay.

I think we'll see the biggest results if Keith returns to somewhat 08-10 level.

Gootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 09:11 PM
Rexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gootie View Post
wouldn't THAT be nice!

Rexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:03 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerspitze View Post
Stahlberg?
Much improved but only a two year deal. This is the one that I wish was longer.

Old
06-06-2012, 05:19 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Frolik wouldn't be hard to move...

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 01:09 PM
ModryJazyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gootie View Post
Sharp one less goal and one less assist, but his +/- went from -1 to +28.

A lot of the core guys will have better point totals if we fix the awful powerplay.

true ...

ModryJazyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 09:26 PM
LarmerSavardSecord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Frolik wouldn't be hard to move...
I think this is right. Sure, he’s part reclamation project, but even as-is he can be an effective young(ish) player in the right role or on the right team. Maybe not $2.3m/yr effective, but his $2.1, 1.9m salary hits take some of the bite out of his contract for many teams. And if he can improve/progress his Sht% from league-worst to below average/career average - not a crazy assumption - he’d be a bargain

They’re not going to get any value in return, and maybe some horse-trading of prospects is needed, but I think they can unload him without too much complication.

LarmerSavardSecord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 10:38 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 302
Quote:
Keith - Regressed.
Can you explain how Sharp regressed?

Sure his D was disappointing in 2011 but offensively he picked it up and was an allstar

This year he was on track to have his best season of career but because of injury he came up just short

Infact 2011 and 2012 his offensive game has really taken off

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:09 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarmerSavardSecord View Post
I think this is right. Sure, he’s part reclamation project, but even as-is he can be an effective young(ish) player in the right role or on the right team. Maybe not $2.3m/yr effective, but his $2.1, 1.9m salary hits take some of the bite out of his contract for many teams. And if he can improve/progress his Sht% from league-worst to below average/career average - not a crazy assumption - he’d be a bargain

They’re not going to get any value in return, and maybe some horse-trading of prospects is needed, but I think they can unload him without too much complication.
very true.

if the cap does go up, guys like Frolik will be needed as teams need to reach the cap floor without taking in massive contracts or term....Frolik sucks for us, but will be a needed player for teams like dare I say...the Red Wings!! I hope the Wings get spurned by all the top guys, and have to do a Florida Panthers mass signing to hit the floor!

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 07:07 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I don't really want to give Frolik another chance as I think he takes away a spot on the roster and Cap Space we could need for Parise

Old
06-07-2012, 10:46 AM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Can you explain how Sharp regressed?

Sure his D was disappointing in 2011 but offensively he picked it up and was an allstar

This year he was on track to have his best season of career but because of injury he came up just short

Infact 2011 and 2012 his offensive game has really taken off
Probably more of recent memory. He just seemed off his game last year from a defensive stand point and a lack of finish. His performance in the playoffs was the worst of any Hawk IMO. Shying away from board play, dumb turnovers, ect.

He was always a standout performer on the PK/PP before last year as well. I feel like Sharp became more one demensional. Not creating as much and benefiting more than anyone from great set ups.

As far as Frolik. Hawks are going to have to give up more than they want probably to trade him. I have a feeling they will just bury him on the roster.

Old
06-07-2012, 10:49 AM
Teravainen
LoveYouRyanNash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
I don't really want to give Frolik another chance as I think he takes away a spot on the roster and Cap Space we could need for Parise
Lol. Trade him for a pick use the money on Parise/Suter.

Old username: LoveYouRyanNash and DontTazMeBro
GO HAWKS!
Teravainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:12 AM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
The least of our concerns should be the performance of the core players. Yes, some could have played a little bit better but come on, you can only whip the horses so much. I think they are doing everything they can to be successful, maybe not Kane, but the rest for sure. I think Kane will have a better year next year; it would be hard not to.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:24 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYouRyanNash View Post
Lol. Trade him for a pick use the money on Parise/Suter.
Trade Frolik for a pick is what will happen and it's reality...

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
The least of our concerns should be the performance of the core players. Yes, some could have played a little bit better but come on, you can only whip the horses so much. I think they are doing everything they can to be successful, maybe not Kane, but the rest for sure. I think Kane will have a better year next year; it would be hard not to.
The core players were a big reason why we are not where we should be. The core players are a concern for sure.
The play of Keith is not what it should be
the play of Bolland is not what it should be in the RS. Both stepped it up for the POs

the play of Sharp and Hossa (before his injury) in the POs this year was not good. In fact, it was bad. Sharp was the worst player on the ice of both teams. He really was the worst forward in this series. The play of our core was not as good as we need it. The Core has to play better if they want to win another cup.
Supporting Cast, Goaltending and Coaching wasn't that good either, but the core is to blame too.

Old
06-07-2012, 01:26 PM
digdug41982

Maybe they were worn down to a nub from being relied on all season long. Remember the Cup year, someone else always stepped up game to game.

Old
06-07-2012, 01:44 PM
Panzerspitze

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Wasn't there concern Kane hadn't elevated his game year-over-year before the start of this past season? Has his performance addressed that concern after the past season? What makes you think he will "have a better year next year"? That sounds like the same thing heard before the past season.

Panzerspitze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:49 PM
digdug41982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerspitze View Post
Wasn't there concern Kane hadn't elevated his game year-over-year before the start of this past season? Has his performance addressed that concern after the past season? What makes you think he will "have a better year next year"? That sounds like the same thing heard before the past season.
I'd hope he has enough pride to be embarrassed and come back strong. Also, I've always stated that I felt his wrist injury hampered him this year and wrist injuries typically aren't fully recovered until year 2.

Old
06-07-2012, 01:51 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

yes, some else like Versteeg, Ladd or Buff. This year, Bickell & Frolik stepped it up. This year, the core wasn't good when the secondary hasn't scored. The core is to blame too.

I want to have a better Forward depth for next year. I don't care that much about improving the D more. D is fine going forward. Our problem is puck possesion

Old
06-07-2012, 04:14 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

So based on feedback, Hawks have two guys outperforming their contracts. Stalberg - which many feel should be traded & Toews. Tough to win championships that way. Hawks need to find some diamonds in the rough or some prospects need to step up big.

Old
06-07-2012, 04:19 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
So based on feedback, Hawks have two guys outperforming their contracts. Stalberg - which many feel should be traded & Toews. Tough to win championships that way. Hawks need to find some diamonds in the rough or some prospects need to step up big.
I would add Seabrook...both in terms of his play itself and his play as compared to the rest of our defence.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 02:03 PM
hawksfan50

But what is Kane "bouncing back to"? Point a game pace? I thought when we gave him $6.3 million per we expected IMPROVEMENT not plateau (letalone last year's regression)...Also consecutive +7 years BUT is that good enough? Hard to believe he was +16 in the Cup year... So is a bounce-back from 66 to say 82 pts and another mere +7 good enough for all the $$$$ he makes OR do we EXPECT BETTER than that?

Remember after his first 2 years people stillcriticized his defense (he was negative the first 2 years) BUT everyone thouht he would EVENTUALLY be a 40 goal 100 pts guy...BUT few in the league can do that now--so now nobody expects that from him..I guess this means 82 pts as his plateau level is now acceptable BUT I don't think the +7 is ---he's gotta get it up to the mid-teens in positive territory...

hawksfan50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:18 PM
hawksfan50

Of course IF --i said IF--we manage to land SUTER--give him the big $$$ contract and get what?----ANOTHER "regression" in play?

What is it about Chicago that they get 'fat cat" and lazy once they get the big bucks? Isn't anyone "professional" and takes pride in giving their best effort? It appears not...

hawksfan50 is online now   Reply With Quote