HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

The Wire All Purpose Thread Part 2: Thread's the Same, Just Got More Fierce

Old
08-24-2012, 03:56 AM
La Cosa Nostra
Caporegime

vCash: 720
I am down also, in the meantime I've watched every memorable clip on YouTube

Also, RIP to DeAndre McCullogh.Was the main character of David Simon's "The Corner" and had a part in The Wire as Lamar, Brother Mouzone's right hand man.

And I made my top 20 favorite character list (was very hard to narrow down, could easily have listed 100 characters that I liked)

1.Dennis "Cutty" Wise
2.Slim Charles
3.Brother Mouzone
4.Omar Little
5.Preston "Bodie" Broadus
6.Reginald "Bubbles" Cousins
7.Avon Barksdale
8.Frank Sobotka
9.Joe "Proposition Joe" Stewart
10.Lester Freamon
11.Malik "Poot" Carr
12.Roland "Wee-Bey" Brice
13.Butchie
14.Gerard & Sapper (2 of the funniest characters on the show, damn shame they had to be arrested and never seen again )
15.Vondas & The Greek
16.Bunk Moreland
17.Ellis Carver
18.Howard "Bunny" Colvin/Namond Brice
19.Clay Davis
20.The Deacon

HM: Prez,Horseface,La La,Johnny Fifty,Stringer Bell,Nick Sobotka,Terrence Fitzhugh,Leandor Sydnor,Fat Face Rick,Michael Lee, Dukie,Sergei Malatov,Augustus Polk,Wallace,and D'Angelo Barksdale.

Characters I HATED:
MARLO STANFIELD
Chris Partlow
Snoop Pearson
Vinson
Kima Greggs (Rat scum, wish Wee Bey did her in fully in season 1 )
Herc (biggest piece of crap on the show, he literally ruined/****ed over so many people's lives inadvertently)
Rhonda Pearlman (Can't stand her)
Tommy Carcetti (Liked him at first but became too much of a dbag)
Scott Templeton (Hated season 5/the media angle)
Kenard (Nuff Said.Wish Michael ended him in season 4.This punk killed the best character in TV history prematurely.I was furious Omar didn't get enough revenge for Butchie, it wasn't right the way they handled that whole storyline)
Ziggy Sobotka
Fruit (Hated this lazy eye scum ever since he ripped off Cutty,never cheered so loud before when in Season 4 opener Lex just blasted him in the dome)
Monk Metcalf
O-Dog (weird looking *****, wish Omar killed him instead of shooting him in the leg ever since he killed Bodie )
Officer Walker
Officer Colicchio
Cheese Wagstaff

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 04:17 AM
BPR*

vCash: 500
Marlo's three seasons were all completely redeemed by the "my name is my name" scene.

BPR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 08:01 AM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
I am down also, in the meantime I've watched every memorable clip on YouTube

Also, RIP to DeAndre McCullogh.Was the main character of David Simon's "The Corner" and had a part in The Wire as Lamar, Brother Mouzone's right hand man.

And I made my top 20 favorite character list (was very hard to narrow down, could easily have listed 100 characters that I liked)

1.Dennis "Cutty" Wise
2.Slim Charles
3.Brother Mouzone
4.Omar Little
5.Preston "Bodie" Broadus
6.Reginald "Bubbles" Cousins
7.Avon Barksdale
8.Frank Sobotka
9.Joe "Proposition Joe" Stewart
10.Lester Freamon
11.Malik "Poot" Carr
12.Roland "Wee-Bey" Brice
13.Butchie
14.Gerard & Sapper (2 of the funniest characters on the show, damn shame they had to be arrested and never seen again )
15.Vondas & The Greek
16.Bunk Moreland
17.Ellis Carver
18.Howard "Bunny" Colvin/Namond Brice
19.Clay Davis
20.The Deacon

HM: Prez,Horseface,La La,Johnny Fifty,Stringer Bell,Nick Sobotka,Terrence Fitzhugh,Leandor Sydnor,Fat Face Rick,Michael Lee, Dukie,Sergei Malatov,Augustus Polk,Wallace,and D'Angelo Barksdale.

Characters I HATED:
MARLO STANFIELD
Chris Partlow
Snoop Pearson
Vinson
Herc (biggest piece of crap on the show, he literally ruined/****ed over so many people's lives inadvertently)
Kenard (Nuff Said.Wish Michael ended him in season 4.This punk killed the best character in TV history prematurely.I was furious Omar didn't get enough revenge for Butchie, it wasn't right the way they handled that whole storyline)
Ziggy Sobotka
Fruit (Hated this lazy eye scum ever since he ripped off Cutty,never cheered so loud before when in Season 4 opener Lex just blasted him in the dome)
Monk Metcalf
O-Dog (weird looking *****, wish Omar killed him instead of shooting him in the leg ever since he killed Bodie )
Officer Walker
Officer Colicchio
Cheese Wagstaff
You know a show has a good cast when Stringer Bell, D'angelo, Wallace, Michael, Dukie, and Sergei can be "honorable mention" on a top 20 characters list.

yakitate304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 11:22 AM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakitate304 View Post
You know a show has a good cast when Stringer Bell, D'angelo, Wallace, Michael, Dukie, and Sergei can be "honorable mention" on a top 20 characters list.
And no mention at all of 'McNutty' who would likely be in my top 5.

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 02:22 PM
La Cosa Nostra
Caporegime

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
And no mention at all of 'McNutty' who would likely be in my top 5.
He was right on the cusp for me.It's funny at the start of the series I loathed the guy but by the 5th season he gained my respect.Still, he wasn't a true favorite of mine.

"What the **** did I do?"

Old
08-28-2012, 02:47 PM
F L Y E R S
Orange & Black

Quote:
Characters I HATED:
MARLO STANFIELD
Chris Partlow
Snoop Pearson

Vinson
Ziggy Sobotka
Monk Metcalf
Officer Walker
Officer Colicchio
Cheese Wagstaff
Strange. Easily my 3 favorite.

F L Y E R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 10:12 AM
HardcoreHab
A Man With No Plan

vCash: 1035
Just wrapped up watching The Wire and I'm thoroughly impressed. This show had what is probably the best writing I've ever come across (for a television series).

I've always had a rule of thumb for movies; if I'm still thinking about a movie a day or two after viewing it, whether I liked it or not while watching, I consider it a good movie. Some stories leave something with you and that is worth more than any 'eye candy' you feast on during a viewing. The Wire was a show I would define that way. I didn't enjoy every second of it, but the quality of the storytelling and the expansive world of characters over the seasons is undeniably great.

My favourite thing about The Wire was, unlike most television or features, its unpredictability. So many things I just plain didn't see coming or they came before or after I expected. The show felt real. One of the greatest scenes in the whole series is when Omar gets 'got'; The way the show built him up as a ghetto superstar that the entire city feared. The thing about fear is that it's not real. What I mean is anybody could have picked up a gun at any time and walked up behind him and used it. Fear is only as good as those who possess it and it's different for everyone. In the end, all it took was some kid. Respect and fear won't protect you from a bullet. Omar was smart, but he was also very lucky. In the end, he was just as human as everyone else and his luck ran out. Stories typically like to make a predictable climb to a climax, but life has a way of just happening. The Wire did a great job with that.

Anyway... TWO THUMBS UP!

HardcoreHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 10:27 AM
HardcoreHab
A Man With No Plan

Oh and as for characters; most notably:

Favourite characters:
  • The obvious choices of McNulty, Bunk, Daniels and Lester.
  • Stringer Bell
  • Omar Little
  • Bubbles (In the beginning and the end. Bubbles was at his best when he was somewhat clear of mind and seemed salvageable)
  • Jay Landsman
  • Tommy Carcetti (but that was changing more and more as the series progressed)
  • Bodie
  • Colvin
  • Chris Partlow

Did not like them:
  • Kima Greggs (she was a rat: good guys or bad guys, it doesn't matter, a rat is a rat)
  • Clarence Royce (to his credit, flat out couldn't stand him)
  • Herc (sometimes funny, mostly obnoxious)
  • Bubbles (Middle seasons were mostly a mess for his character, but (I get it) necessary for ultimate redemption)
  • Scott Templeton

Shout out to "SHIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET". Almost cartoonish exaggeration in the end, but I loved it and was saying it with him in the end. lol I laughed so hard when Norman mimicked him that one time with Carcetti.

Last edited by HardcoreHab: 09-04-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old
09-04-2012, 10:39 AM
Transplanted Caper

Watching S4 again, and it's definitely my favourite. I love the parallels with S1. The S4 kids are, in many ways, what the S1 Pit Kids likely were at that age. That Namond was able to get out of the game, and wind up with the Colvins, shows the life Deangelo could have had if he had run into a bit of luck along the way.

I believe I said it in the old thread as well, but the best character development over the entire series is Carver for me. Watching him and Herc start out at the same point, and to see where they ended was interesting.

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 10:52 AM
HardcoreHab
A Man With No Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted Caper View Post
I believe I said it in the old thread as well, but the best character development over the entire series is Carver for me. Watching him and Herc start out at the same point, and to see where they ended was interesting.
Good point.

Season 4 was also my favourite. I'd probably rank them: 4-3-1-2-5. Considering the theme in the school system, I would have never guessed season four to be so damn good, but it was.

Old
09-12-2012, 01:00 AM
La Cosa Nostra
Caporegime

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6821163/the-wire-rpg

This is amazing.

Old
09-12-2012, 05:55 AM
discostu

Quote:
That was great. Loved the "Most memorable scene bonus"

discostu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 05:55 AM
G F O P

RIP Lamar. "Where's my Harpers?"

G F O P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 09:50 AM
JustGivingEr
How far we done fell

vCash: 1125
Quote:
LMAO

That's hilarious. The ending was great.

Also, for anyone who hasn't seen, (it came out a little while ago).

JustGivingEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 12:38 PM
Philly85*
I Ain't Even Mad

Hahahahaha.

Also, snoop... Wow!

Philly85* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 01:18 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Good stuff!

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 03:43 PM
Transplanted Caper

Clarence Royce is an interesting character. We catch him at the end of his political career, and it's obvious he knows how to play the game. He comes across as unseemly, and has very little moral compass. In the Seasons surrounding Carcaetti and Grey running against him, you see the moral compass the two of them have, but then see Carcetti abandon his beliefs to make the smart political play to set himself up to run for Governor. I don't think Carcetti ever got as bad as Royce (at least that we saw on-screen) but makes one wonder whether Royce started out as he ended, or whether he too may have started out trying to make a difference.

Old
09-12-2012, 04:06 PM
Deficient Mode
Dril Maher

vCash: 681
I feel the same way about Burrell. He was probably my favorite police commander other than Colvin. He just had a sense of equality to the game: I carry their water; no more, no less; **** rolls downhill; things like that. His ending is comparable to Bodie's: he has a bitter realization that the game just isn't fair.

Deficient Mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 04:08 PM
La Cosa Nostra
Caporegime

Royce >>> Carcetti.

Carcetti was a terrible character played by an irish Guy with a bad accent.

Also anyone notice Anwan Glover aka slim Charles is the narrator of "Hey rookie
"?

Old
09-12-2012, 04:30 PM
Deficient Mode
Dril Maher

Quote:
Royce >>> Carcetti.

Carcetti was a terrible character played by an irish Guy with a bad accent.
Disagree, the mere fact that Carcetti had a huge chunk of the story centered around him, and that he actually developed with that story, makes him a superior character to Royce regardless of Gillen's performance.

Old
09-12-2012, 06:14 PM
La Cosa Nostra
Caporegime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deficient Mode View Post
Disagree, the mere fact that Carcetti had a huge chunk of the story centered around him, and that he actually developed with that story, makes him a superior character to Royce regardless of Gillen's performance.
Goes from whiney ******* councilman to whiney ******* mayoral candidate to whiney ******* mayor and then governor, all while lying and cheating. Carcetti is garbage.

And also the Greeks and Marlo angle was so hilariously bad.

Sergei rats out Vondas and the Greek. Marlo talks to Sergei who is able to set up Marlo to the diner (uhhh if someone who ratted me out wanted to set someone up with me I'd laugh). Then when he does get up with Marlo, the very first shipment is raided.... And I'm supposed to believe the co-op pays Marlo ten million and Marlo sets them up with Vondas and the Greek? Nope, so unbelievable and fake. The Greek and Vondas probably want to kill Marlo for getting their whole shipment seized and a lot of their workers arrested. I'm sure Vondas was so happy to be doing business with people referred by Marlo, you known the guy who got their whole shipment ****ed up due to police. Season 5 was terrible and so was the ending. The whole Marlo/Greeks angle was pathetic.

Old
09-13-2012, 10:01 AM
Deficient Mode
Dril Maher

Quote:
Goes from whiney ******* councilman to whiney ******* mayoral candidate to whiney ******* mayor and then governor, all while lying and cheating. Carcetti is garbage.

And also the Greeks and Marlo angle was so hilariously bad.

Sergei rats out Vondas and the Greek. Marlo talks to Sergei who is able to set up Marlo to the diner (uhhh if someone who ratted me out wanted to set someone up with me I'd laugh). Then when he does get up with Marlo, the very first shipment is raided.... And I'm supposed to believe the co-op pays Marlo ten million and Marlo sets them up with Vondas and the Greek? Nope, so unbelievable and fake. The Greek and Vondas probably want to kill Marlo for getting their whole shipment seized and a lot of their workers arrested. I'm sure Vondas was so happy to be doing business with people referred by Marlo, you known the guy who got their whole shipment ****ed up due to police. Season 5 was terrible and so was the ending. The whole Marlo/Greeks angle was pathetic.
Tell us how you really feel.

I'm surprised Frank Sobotka made your top ten character list if you're so opposed to whiners. Guy could hardly be any more self-righteous.

You're exaggerating about Marlo and the Greeks. While it's likely they wouldn't have trusted him enough after so short a time that he could just sell the connect and they'd trust whomever he told them to trust, they never considered killing Joe after Omar held up the shipment and I doubt they would have killed Marlo.

Old
09-13-2012, 10:14 AM
La Cosa Nostra
Caporegime

Quote:

You're exaggerating about Marlo and the Greeks. While it's likely they wouldn't have trusted him enough after so short a time that he could just sell the connect and they'd trust whomever he told them to trust, they never considered killing Joe after Omar held up the shipment and I doubt they would have killed Marlo.
Getting robbed is one thing, having the cops raid you is totally different. Sergei gave up the Greeks hotel.... And now he's trying set them up with Marlo and the coop already paid for the sipment that was stolen that's why the Greeks didn't care too much... But the Marlo thing they lose 150 kis and about 15 workers who will all get 15+ years.

As for Frank, he wasn't a whiner he was trying to save the grain pier by any means necessary.

"we used to build **** here" speech >>>>>"my name is my name speech " ainec.

Old
09-13-2012, 10:20 AM
Transplanted Caper

Quote:
Tell us how you really feel.

I'm surprised Frank Sobotka made your top ten character list if you're so opposed to whiners. Guy could hardly be any more self-righteous.

I liked Sobotka. Yes, he was self-righteous and yes he certainly was looking for any way to justify his actions, but I thought he came across as more sympathetic than Templeton in S5 who was also trying to keep his head above water in a dying industry.

Perhaps it was again, the attempt to justify his own actions, but I though Frank had more on his shoulders than Templeton. He had to worry about a union and a port, whereas Templeton's actions were entirely selfish. His concern was his own career rather than trying to shoulder the load of the industry as a whole.

Frank made many mistakes, but came across a flawed, but sympathetic, which is actually pretty rare for this series.

Old
09-13-2012, 10:34 AM
Deficient Mode
Dril Maher

Quote:
Getting robbed is one thing, having the cops raid you is totally different. Sergei gave up the Greeks hotel.... And now he's trying set them up with Marlo and the coop already paid for the sipment that was stolen that's why the Greeks didn't care too much... But the Marlo thing they lose 150 kis and about 15 workers who will all get 15+ years.

As for Frank, he wasn't a whiner he was trying to save the grain pier by any means necessary.

"we used to build **** here" speech >>>>>"my name is my name speech " ainec.
Carcetti was trying to save the city too - even if he whined along the way - and he certainly had his funny moments on the campaign trail. Not the best character on the show, but unlike Royce we don't just see him as a hardened image-obsessed politician, we see him become that politician.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted Caper View Post
I liked Sobotka. Yes, he was self-righteous and yes he certainly was looking for any way to justify his actions, but I thought he came across as more sympathetic than Templeton in S5 who was also trying to keep his head above water in a dying industry.

Perhaps it was again, the attempt to justify his own actions, but I though Frank had more on his shoulders than Templeton. He had to worry about a union and a port, whereas Templeton's actions were entirely selfish. His concern was his own career rather than trying to shoulder the load of the industry as a whole.

Frank made many mistakes, but came across a flawed, but sympathetic, which is actually pretty rare for this series.
I wouldn't compare Frank to Templeton at all, despite the dying industry angle. Templeton wasn't trying to save the newspaper at all. He didn't get in bed with a criminal enterprise to save his union. He started fabricating **** to further his own career and to draw attention to himself. Frank is much more comparable to Gus in his sympathetic situation, whereas Templeton is an almost as obnoxious version of Ziggy.