HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Debunking the Luongo Myth

Old
06-06-2012, 08:45 AM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

vCash: 500
Debunking the Luongo Myth

Heres an interesting read about Luongo and how some of the common perceptions about him stack up against the facts. While that contract cannot be ignored, a lot of the stuff that gets thrown around about him like its gospel, may not be so accurate. Have a read, and make your own conclusions about the guy many believe may be destined to be Toronto's next franchise goalie.

http://thehockeywriters.com/debunkin...-luongo-myths/

Durkin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 09:02 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

He's a pretty cool guy and one of the best goalies of the past decade. I don't understand why he gets the amount of crap that he does.

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 09:14 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
He's a pretty cool guy and one of the best goalies of the past decade. I don't understand why he gets the amount of crap that he does.
still a big ass mystery to me. he was the star in the playoffs this year and he still was benched. They didn't point at the players, defenders or the coach, but lou when they lost two games in a row at the start.

06-06-2012, 09:34 AM
Pheasant the peasant
Lupul Fan

Good read, thanks for posting.

My favouritr part was when talking about the myth that Luongo can't handle pressure.

Quote:
After the Canucks were bounced out of the playoffs by the Chicago Blackhawks for the second straight year, Luongo took the lion share of the blame by both the media and a very vocal portion of the fan base. He crumbled to that pressure so much by having his best year he’s ever had, garnering a Vezina nomination and leading the Canucks to their best season ever.

That pressure sure did get to him.

Pheasant the peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 09:36 AM
ALine

That was a great video, had never seen that before. Hilarious.

One thing I'm confused about and would like clarified, is the cap-hit for the buyout, starting, lets say, in 2017. I though it was 2/3 the original caphit, divided by twice the length of the buyout. So why do i see buyout caphits showing over 4 mill? Shouldn't it be like <400,000. What am I not getting? I've heard that capgeek isn't correct.

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 09:45 AM
Interactif
Opinionist

I am also not a huge Luongo admirer, but Nonis may be. But that contract is something Burke or Nonis would never take on given what they have said about cap circumvention.

Last edited by Majik1987: 06-09-2012 at 09:28 PM. Reason: qdp
Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 09:45 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

regardless...he can help us get to the playoffs and cushion reimer's development ala Huet for Price.

Last edited by Majik1987: 06-09-2012 at 09:28 PM. Reason: qdp
Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 09:46 AM
bobbyflex

Nonis loves Luongo. Burke hates long-term contracts. Who wins?

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 09:51 AM
cynicism

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
Nonis loves Luongo. Burke hates long-term contracts. Who wins?
Leaf fans sure as hell don't

cynicism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 09:55 AM
The Naz
With God given hands

Luongo can't handle the media pressure yet he is willing to waive his NTC for Toronto. ???

The Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 09:58 AM
dubey
Phagoof am i rite??/

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicism View Post
Leaf fans sure as hell don't
But the team will

Decisions...

dubey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 10:00 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naz View Post
Luongo can't handle the media pressure yet he is willing to waive his NTC for Toronto. ???
I'm still not convinced he is willing to come here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
But the team will

Decisions...
Just don't put Lu as your avy. We all know what happens when you do that, Bob Cole

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 10:02 AM
GrizzLeaf

Nonis just mentioned yesterday that while Burke would never try and circumveen the cap by offering that kind of contract, they would accept players via trades that have those contracts.

So Luongo to T.O. isn't far fetched. Not a given, but not completely out of the question either.

GrizzLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 10:15 AM
Budsfan

Anyone that portrays Luongo as anything but a very good, nay great goal tender, is just not watching the same hockey I am, my only concern in trading for him is his terrible contract however McKenzie has this to say about that.....

Quote:
McKenzie: Teams that have interest in Roberto Luongo are wondering how long is he going to play, how long is the commitment that you're actually making? He's got 10 years left on his contract, but if you look at the way the contract's structured, he's not going to play more than seven – the last three years are those bogus years for just over a shade over $1 million and he's definitely not playing those. So the maximum commitment is seven years, maybe six. There are some people out there who believe though, that Roberto Luongo is only prepared to play another four or five years in the National Hockey League. And if Roberto Luongo decided to retire at any time, the cap hit goes away and nobody's obliged to take on the commitment of the contract any longer than he is interested in playing. The tricky part though is, Roberto Luongo cannot come to a pre-agreement with any team that is interested in him, saying "oh, I'll only play four years, then I'll let you off the hook," because that would be cap circumvention. There is talk out there that Luongo doesn't want to play any more than four or five years more years, but I think the teams would have to take it on faith or face value.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=397723

Budsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 10:17 AM
paulster2626

Excellent article. I love facts.

His contract sucks, but by no means does his goaltending abilities.

paulster2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Yosho
Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I am also not a huge Luongo admirer, but Nonis may be. But that contract is something Burke or Nonis would never take on given what they have said about cap circumvention.
Sure they would, they're not offering the contract.

Yosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:36 AM
pooleboy
#tankformcdavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naz View Post
? He can handle the pressure....

pooleboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:40 AM
Theron
#beauty

Send a message via ICQ to Theron Send a message via AIM to Theron Send a message via MSN to Theron Send a message via Yahoo to Theron Send a message via Skype™ to Theron
Do not want. Overpaid and only going downhill. If we trade anything of value I'll be pissed . Watched his his whole tenure with van - not what we want . Jonathan Bernier

Theron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:41 AM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post

Remember that Canucks fans are the same ones who rioted after their team lost. That should tell you all you need to know.

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 12:51 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzLeaf View Post
Nonis just mentioned yesterday that while Burke would never try and circumveen the cap by offering that kind of contract, they would accept players via trades that have those contracts.
I'd really love to know what they think the freaking difference is . If this is what those idiots are tring to spin now , then fire both thier butts . After all the crap that Burke spewed about these type of deals ( never mind testifying for the league in the Kovi case ) for him to turn around and trade for one would make him the biggest hyprocrite in the league .

Last edited by hotpaws: 06-06-2012 at 01:00 PM.
hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 12:58 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

As long as he doesn't play the Hawks in playoffs he should be fine

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 01:00 PM
ALine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
I'd really love to know what they think the freaking difference is . If this is what those idiots are tring to spin now , then fire both thier butts . After all the crap that Burke spewed about these type of deals ( never mind testifying for the league in the Kovi case ) for him now to turn around and trade for one would make him the biggest hyprocrite in the league .
There is a big difference between handing out this type of contract and simply taking one on.
Burke and co. shouldn't be handcuffed by other terrible GM's that perpetuate these ridiculous, cap circumventing contacts.

Old
06-06-2012, 01:01 PM
hotpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
As long as he doesn't play the Hawks in playoffs he should be fine
Way off topic but what would you guys think of a Kane for Stall swap .

Old
06-06-2012, 01:12 PM
hotpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine View Post
There is a big difference between handing out this type of contract and simply taking one on.
Burke and co. shouldn't be handcuffed by other terrible GM's that perpetuate these ridiculous, cap circumventing contacts.
WTF are you talking about ?

So you're saying that Burke now thinks there's a difference between trading for what he calls a cap circumvention contract and signing that player yorself . Maybe we should send in a another team who's not interested in signing Parise/Suter and have them make a cap circumvention deal and then we could trade them a 3rd for the player . Would that be in keeping with Burkes high morals .

If We trade for Lu and his play slides then we're stuck with a b/u goaile for years on a big ticket .

Old
06-06-2012, 01:25 PM
ALine

WTF you talking about, that exactly what I'm saying. That there is a difference. When Burke is so vocal about not giving these types of contracts, he is trying to get the point across to all GM's that these contracts, while technically within the rules, are clearly cap circumvention, hoping they will get the point that continuing this practise is bad for the league as a whole. Its not the same because it would be very idiotic to hamstring the team so much to a point where he won't even consider trading for these contracts. At the end of the day, he will to whats best for the Leafs, and to a lesser extent, the league as a whole. (because like all of us he is a hockey fan, and wants to see whats best done for the league, the wonky contracts are clearly not good for the league.) Its not hypocritical to lobby against these contracts then be willing to trade for one because they are so common it would be very hard to avoid.