HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo Trade Value

View Poll Results: What is Luongo's Value?
High Value (e.g., Schenn & Kadri / etc.) 57 13.87%
Moderate Value (e.g., Franson & MacArthur / etc.) 211 51.34%
Low Value (e.g., Franson / 2nd rounder / etc.) 99 24.09%
Negative Value (e.g., Komisarek / etc.) 30 7.30%
Highly Negative Value (e.g., Komisarek & Lombardi) 14 3.41%
Voters: 411. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-24-2012, 11:31 AM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Burke was quoted yesterday..

So those expecting a soft deal for Lou, are likely going to disappointed.
Gillis is the one backed into the corner. Saying that, I know he won't be traded for cap dumps.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:39 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Burke was quoted yesterday..

So those expecting a soft deal for Lou, are likely going to disappointed.
Or Canucks fans expecting major help coming back will be disappointed.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:47 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Or Canucks fans expecting major help coming back will be disappointed.
The option for Vancouver is keeping both and continuing to win President's trophies and challenge for the Cup as strong contenders behind the current tandem in net. Not exactly a hardship!!.

Toronto needs Luongo more than Vancouver needs to trade him. Toronto is not in the drivers seat here.

Vancouver has put a steep asking price, praying on Leafs desperation for needed success, and fortunately at this stage Burke is not willing to pay the price. For that I'm grateful from a Leaf fans point of view.

06-24-2012, 11:48 AM
K19*

What about Bozak and Gunnarsson? Gunnar was our most reliable DEFENSEman last year. That might work for both teams, but then we lose Dion's partner and a top-4 dman. I'm not sure about that...

K19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:55 AM
dubey
~manlets~

Quote:
The option for Vancouver is keeping both and continuing to win President's trophies and challenge for the Cup as strong contenders behind the current tandem in net. Not exactly a hardship!!.

Toronto needs Luongo more than Vancouver needs to trade him. Toronto is not in the drivers seat here.

Vancouver has put a steep asking price, praying on Leafs desperation for needed success, and fortunately at this stage Burke is not willing to pay the price. For that I'm grateful from a Leaf fans point of view.
If Luongo and Schneider were Pokemon cards I would agree with this

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:57 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komodo View Post
What about Bozak and Gunnarsson? Gunnar was our most reliable DEFENSEman last year. That might work for both teams, but then we lose Dion's partner and a top-4 dman. I'm not sure about that...
Simply a pure guess on my part but suspecting Gardiner is being asked by Gillis..

Landing him would increase Vancouver's odds of landing Justin Schultz at the same time, due to his relationship with Jake and Justin being a BC boy.

So waiting out the Schultz destination might play a part in this situation, which after he is signed changes some of the parameters and allow for different Leaf players entering the trade picture thereafter.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:04 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:

Sigh. I am tired of telling people that keeping both is not an option for the Canucks. Vancouver needs to trade Luongo as badly as Toronto may need Luongo.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:29 PM
Duke Silver
Truce?

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
How about this (leave Luongo out of this, we'll use other assets): Toronto gives up Schenn + 2nd (2012) for JVR + 2nd (2013). Philly unites the Schenn brothers, improves their D which is facing uncertainty because of Pronger's injury, and saves $625,000 annually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
No thanks to your deal. I'd consider Schenn and a 2nd for JVR by himself, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
What about instead of next year's 2nd rounder you give up this year's 3rd rounder.

You end up moving up 43 spots in this year's draft.

Schenn + 35th for JVR + 78th
Quote:
No. JVR is worth more than Schenn. No need for the Flyers to add. The whole point of the three way deal is that we get another decent player, and the Leafs give up the second rounder that, along with Schenn, would make a JVR trade even.
Quote:
As for JVR's value to the Leafs, I think L. Schenn and a 2nd has been pretty well established.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
Who was that established by?
Quote:
Everyone on the Trade boards except Leafs fans. It's pretty well settled, actually.
Hmmmm..... funny how things work out. Should have taken my offer.

Duke Silver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:46 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Quote:

Except it's really not that simple at all. Luongo is a great goaltender, and he is paid like one. 5.3M is a fair price for a starting goaltender to be paid in this league. The issue arises however, when you factor in that their younger 1B goaltender is at a crossroads with the team. He is a former 1st round draft pick of the Canucks and has spent 7 seasons developing within the Vancouver Canucks system acheiving great success on both the Manitoba Moose and Vancouver Canucks rosters. Coming off 2 very successful mini-campaigns with the Canucks going a combined 36-12-3 with a .929&.937SV% over those respective seasons, he is also entering his goaltending prime at age 26.

There is no doubt in my mind that Schneider will have some very substantial contract demands, and deservedly so -- he has done everything that has been asking of him by the Canucks and he wants to ensure he gets paid what hes worth. I think it is fair to assume that if Schneider is resigned he will command anywhere from 4M-5.5M annually which will leave the Canucks with ~10M tied up in their goaltenders. Considering the Canucks have another promising goaltender ready for a taste of the big show in Eddie Lack, it simply does not make sense to have so much money (ie. 14% of the cap) tied up in 2 goaltenders.

So let me ask you.. Ask the GM of your successful hockey franchise do you:
1. Sign Schneider for 5M on a long term contract, retain Luongo and tie up 14% of the cap in two goaltenders. (Also how are you going to manage to convince Schneider to sign as a platoon goaltender when I'm positive he wants to be an undisputed starting goaltender at this point in his development)

2. Trade the 26 year old Schneider for a few good pieces and keep your much maligned 33 year old goaltender.

3. Cut your losses and acquire a good piece or two from one of the teams of Luongo's choosing (Toronto --> Franson and/or MacArthur) and move forward with your new young starting goaltender.

HockeyThoughts is online now   Reply With Quote