HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Luongo Trade Value

View Poll Results: What is Luongo's Value?
High Value (e.g., Schenn & Kadri / etc.) 57 13.87%
Moderate Value (e.g., Franson & MacArthur / etc.) 211 51.34%
Low Value (e.g., Franson / 2nd rounder / etc.) 99 24.09%
Negative Value (e.g., Komisarek / etc.) 30 7.30%
Highly Negative Value (e.g., Komisarek & Lombardi) 14 3.41%
Voters: 411. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-07-2012, 09:18 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
No but giving up a youngster like one of these two for a contract like that, which is only helping Vancouver, is just far too much.

People need to remember Vancouver NEEDS to get rid of him. They both want to be #1s. Get rid of him before he asks his way out and you get less for him. They need the cap room and they need to depart with Luongo.. We don't need to get rid of Schenn or Kadri, and yes they have higher value then a 10 year contract, with a player who says he will be open to a trade but he wants to be a #1 (basically saying play me or trade me)..
VAN's hands are not tied. they can still negotiate a contract with Schniedz and sign him. they will be a good team with both Lu and Schniedz in net. they just won't be cup contenders. but to just give away Lu for scraps like Franson? are you kidding me?

don't you remember?

"Vancouver Canucks traded Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan Allen and Alex Auld to the Florida Panthers for Roberto Luongo, Lukas Krajicek and a 6th round selection in 2006."

he's not going to come cheap folks. not for Franson and a 2nd. no way.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 09:24 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBeL13f View Post
If it involves the 5th, I will rage.
No..no..no...i just meant Burke will make a splash by announcing it. No way the 1st is moved for Luongo. I just said June 22 as it gives a week for Van. to sign Schnieder before July 1st.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 09:25 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
VAN's hands are not tied. they can still negotiate a contract with Schniedz and sign him. they will be a good team with both Lu and Schniedz in net. they just won't be cup contenders. but to just give away Lu for scraps like Franson? are you kidding me?

don't you remember?

"Vancouver Canucks traded Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan Allen and Alex Auld to the Florida Panthers for Roberto Luongo, Lukas Krajicek and a 6th round selection in 2006."
he's not going to come cheap folks. not for Franson and a 2nd. no way.
Ummmm...the bolded is the key. Luongo was then 27 and didn't have 122 more years on his deal.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 09:27 AM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcons93 View Post
Somewhere between moderate and high value. Something along the lines of:

Schenn + Colborne + 2012 second round pick

In the grand scheme of things, a top-15 goalie is more valuable than any of those pieces. Schenn will be a #2-#3 defenseman if everything works out for him. Right now, he's been playing like a #3-#5 and even a #6 for stretches of the past few seasons (though he was good in 2010-11 for stretches as well). Colborne likely doesn't have a spot on our team anytime soon. He's not better than Grabovski, Bozak, or Connolly (who will likely be gone anyways after this season). The 2nd round pick, which will be 34th, likely won't have an impact in the NHL anytime soon. This pick could very well turn into a decent player, but, again, in how many years? 3, 4, or 5? I would part with all three of these pieces for Luongo. His contract is bad in the sense that it lasts until 2022, but it's good in the sense that his cap hit is only 5.3 million plus there's a good chance he retires when he's older which clears his cap off the books in the late 2010's. His contract won't be a problem until around 2017-2018 when it's likely his performance will start to decline. There are definitely ways around paying him/keeping him on our team at that point. I would rather not trade Kadri as I think he has the potential to be a 65-70 point player in his prime seasons. Luongo is definitely not worth Gardiner or the 5th.

EDIT: Also, I don't know if people realize this, but the two goalies we rode with last year were ****ing terrible. Reimer was trash after coming back from his injury and Gustavsson was so inconsistent. He'd make an amazing save one minute, then let in a shot a Pee Wee goaltender would have stopped three minutes later. We need a goalie like Luongo.

EDIT #2: To be honest, I would even trade our 2013 first round pick for Luongo if there's a guarantee that the 2012-2013 season won't be a lockout. 2013 first round pick + Schenn for Luongo.

i like that deal. it wont affect us that much. though i dont want to lose schenn though. i agree with ur statement on kadri. i believe he will reach his potential. he has been improving in every call up.

mikebel111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 09:31 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

moderate , because i would guess a few teams make offers

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 09:37 AM
ALine

Quote:
Read between the lines a little though. He was yanked in the playoff when it mattered most, and not because his play faltered, but because they would rather Schneider. Luongo has all but come out and demand a trade. I have no idea what is going on internally in that organization, but i would imagine their is some discontented folks because nobody knows who the starting goalie is. They're not okay with being a good team, they have been a good team for a long time, they want to be contenders for the cup. Having two starting goalie salaries on the roster hampers that greatly. Think back to the Hodgson deal, they practically gave him away because they wanted to be contenders. No they are not content with being just a good team. They want to win it. Thats why their hands are at least a little tied. They won't get nearly the same return as FLA did.

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 09:38 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Well this is what Pierre LeBrun had to say.

Quote:
Latest on Luongo:

LeBrun: The Canucks and Luongo, from what we've been told, have been supposed to get together again. It hasn't happened yet, the Canucks are hopeful that they'll be able to talk to Luongo by the end of the week. In the meantime, teams are starting to do their due diligence, and I believe the Florida Panthers are a team to keep an eye on. I think they are very interested in Roberto Luongo, but they're a small payroll team, and it's only going to happen if they can send some money the other way.

The Vancouver Canucks are not too interested in a trade like that right now. That type of "soft deal" is not the type of deal the Canucks want to make at this point.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=397723

06-07-2012, 09:39 AM
gabeliscious

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
moderate , because i would guess a few teams make offers
i agree that luongo would have moderate value but franson + mac is pretty meh. both are highly expendable for the leafs and we wouldnt skip a beat. i think conservatively both have the apx value of a 2nd round pick? maybe if we include our 2nd this season as well which is like a late 1st it would be reasonable but good luck getting a vancouver fan on here to agree.

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 09:41 AM
thecatch22

^ Again, that makes no sense. Theodore is a fine stop n go guy until Markstrom takes over. Florida is not going to trade for Luongo.

And ****, if they do for God knows what reason get Luongo I'd offer quite a bit for Markstrom.

Last edited by thecatch22: 06-07-2012 at 09:46 AM.
thecatch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 09:44 AM
cynicism

I'm convinced it would take a mild salary dump, roster player and a mid-range pick/prospect. So something like:

Armstrong or Connolly
Cmac or Franson
3rd rounder or someone like Kenny Ryan

cynicism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 09:53 AM
ALine

Tallon was just on PTS yesterday praising his young talent , like Huberdeau, Markstrom Not saying i know more than Lebrun, but i don't see FLA as a good fit or a good trading partner

Old
06-07-2012, 09:56 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

i would say moderate being something like.....

franson reimer and a 2nd

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:14 AM
Guy Boucher

Franson + cap dump (lombardi) + draft pick (2nd/3rd rounder in 2013).

Guy Boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:57 AM
Dr Swag
Banned User

MacArthur + Armstrong + 2nd.

Dr Swag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:52 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Wow Gillis' mind must be blown with the trades your proposing. What there's a better offer out there? Maybe Florida won't dump their high priced underachievers. Maybe DT is on the verge of having his team go far NEXT year. Maybe he's offering Markstom and a good roster player for Lu. What LeBrun doesn't know what he's talking about?

So far most of you want to dump high priced underachievers for Lu. Why would he even bother?

High priced:
Komi
Connolly
Army
Lombo

Underachievers:
Lombo
Komi
Army
Connolly
Franson

High Priced and underachievers:

Komi
Army
Lombo
Connolly

You think that adding a 2nd is going to sweeten things?

I think Lu will have a good time playing in Florida. And he'll have a competitive team to play for (unlike our Motley Cre).

Old
06-07-2012, 12:23 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Wow Gillis' mind must be blown with the trades your proposing. What there's a better offer out there? Maybe Florida won't dump their high priced underachievers. Maybe DT is on the verge of having his team go far NEXT year. Maybe he's offering Markstom and a good roster player for Lu. What LeBrun doesn't know what he's talking about?

So far most of you want to dump high priced underachievers for Lu. Why would he even bother?

High priced:
Komi
Connolly
Army
Lombo

Underachievers:
Lombo
Komi
Army
Connolly
Franson

High Priced and underachievers:

Komi
Army
Lombo
Connolly

You think that adding a 2nd is going to sweeten things?

I think Lu will have a good time playing in Florida. And he'll have a competitive team to play for (unlike our Motley Cre).

FLA has had their sights on making Markstrom their guy for some time. Theodore is a place holder until he's ready. They aint in on LU. Gillis is touching his toes on this deal. His options to move LU are extremely limited.

Durkin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:30 PM
Tie Domi Esquire
;;

Some guy on this forum just said he'd trade Markstrom for Luongo.

Tie Domi Esquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:32 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkin67 View Post
FLA has had their sights on making Markstrom their guy for some time. Theodore is a place holder until he's ready. They aint in on LU. Gillis is touching his toes on this deal. His options to move LU are extremely limited.
Lebrun is a pretty intelligent guy, and well connected. Why wouldn't he doubt the logic of a VAN/FLA trade (like you're doing) before he posts something like that?

Old
06-07-2012, 12:38 PM
ALine

Quote:
Lebrun is a pretty intelligent guy, and well connected. Why wouldn't he doubt the logic of a VAN/FLA trade (like you're doing) before he posts something like that?
Because Tallon was praising the young e talent they have just yesterday, I believe he mentioned both Huberdeau and Marstrom specifically. He believes their team is in great shape now and in the future. gave no indication they were looking to make deals like that.
(granted wasn't really the subject matter of the interview)

Old
06-07-2012, 12:41 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

My point is that TOR is not the only team that could use Lu. That Gillis isn't an idiot and would be happy to take our over-priced crappy players (and be grateful for it). There's no way a good player like Lu is acquired for bunch of bums in return.

Old
06-07-2012, 12:42 PM
thecatch22

Quote:
Because it's common sense. Florida will not sign Luongo.

thecatch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:58 PM
ansoncarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Swag View Post
MacArthur + Armstrong + 2nd.
if Florida or somebody steals him for a meaningless package like that and the next day Burke brags about not offering anything because he refuses to support cheat-y contracts I'll lose it. And by lose it I mean I'll go "pfft what an idiot" quietly to myself. But I'll carry a grudge for the rest of his time in toronto and bash him at every opportunity

not sure what's up with him and I hope it's not related to the tragedy he suffered, and if it is I'll just give him a free-pass on everything and never bash him but, he's getting a little too political. And we really don't need that. We don't need a GM worrying about making the league a nicer place. And don cherry being ignorant and writers criticizing his players and saving the baby seals. Saying, we don't need the guy who saves baby seals we need the guy who clubs them.

ansoncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:03 PM
Guy Boucher

Quote:
Even if you're going to swallow Lebrun's piece whole, you're forgetting that he's clearly implying that Florida is looking for a "soft deal". A soft deal being Simon Gagne for Matt Walker and a 4th, or Brian Campbell for Rostislav Olesz.

So yes, a 2nd rounder, a cap dump and an average roster player is pretty good value considering the marketplace.

Guy Boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:07 PM
ALine

Quote:
My point is that TOR is not the only team that could use Lu. That Gillis isn't an idiot and would be happy to take our over-priced crappy players (and be grateful for it). There's no way a good player like Lu is acquired for bunch of bums in return.
Lets explore what teams ACTUALLY would have an interest in picking up a starting goalie, on a long-term deal:

Ana have Hiller
Bos have Rask
Buf have Miller
Cal have Kipper
Car have Ward
Chi have Crawford*
Avs have Varlamov
Clb have Mason*
Dal have Lehtonen
Det have Howard
Edm have Knabby/Dubnyk*
Fla have Theodore/ Marstrom
LAK have Quick
Min have Backstrom
Mtl have Price
Nas have Rinne
NJ have Brodeur/ Wedgewood from what i understand is very promising
NYI have Nabokov/Depietro (Rick's contract takes them out of the running
NYR have Lunquist
Ott have Anderson/Lehner
Phi have Bryz
Phx have Smith
Pit have Fleury
Sj have Niemi
StL have Halak
Tbl have already said they have no interest in Luongo
Leafs have Reimer*
Van- we'll see
Caps have Holtby/Neuvirth**
Jets have Mason/Pavelec

It looks like 4 (maybe 5) teams really looking to aquire a number 1 starting goalie.
Chicago may not be sold on Crawford, but would Van deal to their biggest rival, not likely.
Edm may not be sold on their young Dubnyk, but would Van deal a starting goalie within their division, even less likely
Columbus has a definite need, but will Luongo waive his NTC for them, least likely of all
The caps, I don't have a good read on what they think of their goalies, could be a wildcard in the Luongo deals.
Leafs have a need for solid starting Goaltending, is that Luongo, is that Reimer, not sure. Only Burke and co. know.

The Caps and Leafs are the two teams that would please all parties by getting Lu out of the Conference, to a team that can give a fair deal, and candidates for Lu to waive his NTC

Old
06-07-2012, 01:19 PM
Tie Domi Esquire
;;

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine View Post
It looks like 4 (maybe 5) teams really looking to aquire a number 1 starting goalie.
Chicago may not be sold on Crawford, but would Van deal to their biggest rival, not likely.
Edm may not be sold on their young Dubnyk, but would Van deal a starting goalie within their division, even less likely
Columbus has a definite need, but will Luongo waive his NTC for them, least likely of all
The caps, I don't have a good read on what they think of their goalies, could be a wildcard in the Luongo deals.
Leafs have a need for solid starting Goaltending, is that Luongo, is that Reimer, not sure. Only Burke and co. know.
In addition, Chicago has had enough experience with bad contracts.

Edmonton doesn't look like they want to start winning any time soon, Luongo's age doesn't fit in with their group.

Holtby just had an amazing playoff run for Washington.

Tie Domi Esquire is offline   Reply With Quote