HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo Trade Value

View Poll Results: What is Luongo's Value?
High Value (e.g., Schenn & Kadri / etc.) 57 13.87%
Moderate Value (e.g., Franson & MacArthur / etc.) 211 51.34%
Low Value (e.g., Franson / 2nd rounder / etc.) 99 24.09%
Negative Value (e.g., Komisarek / etc.) 30 7.30%
Highly Negative Value (e.g., Komisarek & Lombardi) 14 3.41%
Voters: 411. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Beleafer4

vCash: 500
My personal opinion is:

Armstrong + Colborne + Franson

For

Loungo

Beleafer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:56 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine View Post
Lets explore what teams ACTUALLY would have an interest in picking up a starting goalie, on a long-term deal:

Ana have Hiller
Bos have Rask
Buf have Miller
Cal have Kipper
Car have Ward
Chi have Crawford*
Avs have Varlamov
Clb have Mason*
Dal have Lehtonen
Det have Howard
Edm have Knabby/Dubnyk*
Fla have Theodore/ Marstrom
LAK have Quick
Min have Backstrom
Mtl have Price
Nas have Rinne
NJ have Brodeur/ Wedgewood from what i understand is very promising
NYI have Nabokov/Depietro (Rick's contract takes them out of the running
NYR have Lunquist
Ott have Anderson/Lehner
Phi have Bryz
Phx have Smith
Pit have Fleury
Sj have Niemi
StL have Halak
Tbl have already said they have no interest in Luongo
Leafs have Reimer*
Van- we'll see
Caps have Holtby/Neuvirth**
Jets have Mason/Pavelec

It looks like 4 (maybe 5) teams really looking to aquire a number 1 starting goalie.
Chicago may not be sold on Crawford, but would Van deal to their biggest rival, not likely.
Edm may not be sold on their young Dubnyk, but would Van deal a starting goalie within their division, even less likely
Columbus has a definite need, but will Luongo waive his NTC for them, least likely of all
The caps, I don't have a good read on what they think of their goalies, could be a wildcard in the Luongo deals.
Leafs have a need for solid starting Goaltending, is that Luongo, is that Reimer, not sure. Only Burke and co. know.

The Caps and Leafs are the two teams that would please all parties by getting Lu out of the Conference, to a team that can give a fair deal, and candidates for Lu to waive his NTC

I appreciate this post. The stars seemed to be aligned for Lu to at for the Leafs, but funnier things have happened in recent history. Yes those teams have what appears to be their starting goalies in place, but coaches / GMs are a lot closer than we are. Some of that list will cut loose one of their starters either because they want Lu and make a run Or because they have someone coming up who is an inexpensive upgrade.

Long ago it wasn't so obvious that we were cutting loose Potvin to acquire Cujo. On paper it looked like the leafs had their definitive starting goalie.

Culture change happens anywhere.

The Leafs are not the only team interested.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 02:42 PM
ALine

Ya I see where your coming from with the Cujo analogy.
In that case i would consider whatever goalie is given up in lieu of Luongo. For example, if San Jose were to go for Luongo, Niemi could be the next target for the leafs. So if Luongo does go somewhere else, with an already established number 1, there will be another solid starter on the trading block. Although, going back to Potvin comparison, he stuggled mightily after leaving, would hate to be on the wrong end of that.

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 02:46 PM
MISC*
Negged.

I really think you Leafs fans are under estimating the amount of reassurance Luongo would provide your dressing room.

I couldn't image a single Leafs player not being absolutely stoked on knowing he was in net. It would be a very calming presence. He IS a bona fide superstar goalie.

If you can realistically step away from the trades and arguments for a second, I am pretty sure you can see the excitement he would bring to the team.

He is still an unreal goalie (top 5-7 when he is in his zone). If it wasn't for Schneider he wouldn't be going anywhere.

I would do:

Schenn
MacCarthur
2013 1st or Colborne

MISC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 02:52 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
Get a real GM

vCash: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by MISC View Post
I really think you Leafs fans are under estimating the amount of reassurance Luongo would provide your dressing room.

I couldn't image a single Leafs player not being absolutely stoked on knowing he was in net. It would be a very calming presence. He IS a bona fide superstar goalie.

If you can realistically step away from the trades and arguments for a second, I am pretty sure you can see the excitement he would bring to the team.

He is still an unreal goalie (top 5-7 when he is in his zone). If it wasn't for Schneider he wouldn't be going anywhere.

I would do:

Schenn
MacCarthur
2013 1st or Colborne
No, we don't underestimate the effect he would have on our team. We know he will make a big difference.

But, we are not prepared to pay that price.

Franson + MacArthur is the most I would pay.

Schenn goes only for a young cornerstone piece.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 02:53 PM
thecatch22

Quote:

I would do:

Schenn
MacCarthur
2013 1st or Colborne
No one would give that up for Luongo.

thecatch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 02:55 PM
ALine

Quote:

I would do:

Schenn
MacCarthur
2013 1st or Colborne
But thats just being short-sighted for a players on a ten year contract. Will he be the same elite stabilizing presence years from now? Thats the major concern, and thats why most Leaf fans aren't will to mortgage the farm for him.

Old
06-07-2012, 03:05 PM
Calacatz
Jacked!

Quote:
But thats just being short-sighted for a players on a ten year contract. Will he be the same elite stabilizing presence years from now? Thats the major concern, and thats why most Leaf fans aren't will to mortgage the farm for him.
I dont think we would have to give up the farm but why do u still look at the 10 year contract? He is only going to play 6 of those years max. He is not going to wanna play for a mil a season nearing 40. He will call it quits by then for sure and to pay 5 half mil for a legit #1 goalie for the next 5-6 years during a time where we hope to seriously compete, I cant see the problem here.
Good goalies know how to get the job done. So many people wrote off Belfour and were so pissed when we signed him to replace Cujo. Yet he was a god for us and gave us a chance to win games..

Calacatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 03:06 PM
veedubn1

Quote:

I would do:

Schenn
MacCarthur
2013 1st or Colborne
Why pay that much if we're only bidding against ourselves? Outside of Florida (and even that's debatable) there aren't any teams out there with a need for Luongo.

MacArthur and Colborne I'm fine with... the 2013 1st shouldn't be traded and Schenn is a valuable youngster who doesn't need to be sacrificed to assist Vancouver in alleviating their logjam in net.

veedubn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 03:06 PM
MISC*
Negged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
No, we don't underestimate the effect he would have on our team. We know he will make a big difference.

But, we are not prepared to pay that price.

Franson + MacArthur is the most I would pay.

Schenn goes only for a young cornerstone piece.
With all due respect; I don't think the GMMG goes for that.

Old
06-07-2012, 03:07 PM
lefty2time*

As a Canucks fan...i gotta say, it really surprises me to see them say that FLA might be interested...like really??
Markstrom has Elite potential.
Only teams that make sense would be clb tml or tbl
Tampa said they want younger,
Clb ...well Lu wouldnt waive his ntc for that.

Give us Schenn, Colborne, 2nd and take Luongo...you guys can make the playoffs and in 5 or 6 years when Luongo retires..you can figure out your goalie situation then.

lefty2time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 03:07 PM
Hockey Potential
HP Forums

Quote:

I would do:

Schenn
MacCarthur
2013 1st or Colborne
sup brah yes aware, and no that's over payment by the Leafs.

Hockey Potential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 03:08 PM
MISC*
Negged.

Quote:
The contract is cap circumvention. Everybody in the NHL knows it. Bettmann knows it. Luongo knows it.

He will play another 5-6 years, max.

Old
06-07-2012, 03:08 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
Get a real GM

Quote:
With all due respect; I don't think the GMMG goes for that.
Then I doubt Luongo is coming here.

A top 9 forward, and good puck moving defenceman seems like a good enough offer in this situation to me.

Old
06-07-2012, 03:09 PM
veedubn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calacatz View Post
I dont think we would have to give up the farm but why do u still look at the 10 year contract? He is only going to play 6 of those years max. He is not going to wanna play for a mil a season nearing 40. He will call it quits by then for sure and to pay 5 half mil for a legit #1 goalie for the next 5-6 years during a time where we hope to seriously compete, I cant see the problem here.
Good goalies know how to get the job done. So many people wrote off Belfour and were so pissed when we signed him to replace Cujo. Yet he was a god for us and gave us a chance to win games..
You're assuming that Luongo will maintain his current level of play until he is 39.

He's 33 right now.. if his play starts to decline when he's 36 we're ****ed.

veedubn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 03:10 PM
MISC*
Negged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubn1 View Post
the 2013 1st shouldn't be traded and Schenn is a valuable youngster who doesn't need to be sacrificed to assist Vancouver in alleviating their logjam in net.
Because GMMG could always trade Cory for a nice return and keep Luongo? Wait for Lack who is said to have a higher ceiling than Cory to develop in 2-3 years?

Old
06-07-2012, 03:11 PM
lefty2time*

Quote:
Because GMMG could always trade Cory for a nice return and keep Luongo? Wait for Lack who is said to have a higher ceiling than Cory to develop in 2-3 years?
This is all true.

lefty2time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 03:12 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
Get a real GM

Quote:
He could always do that, but does that seem like a good idea to you?

I doubt Gillis trades away the better long term option just because he's not getting enough for Luongo.

Old
06-07-2012, 03:12 PM
ALine

Unless Luongo comes out and says 'I am not intending not to honor the final years of my contract' that's a risk I'm not willing to take that chance. But if he did that he would be admitting Gillis and Lu did not negotiate in good faith and intended to circumvent the cap and assuming the league would not like that and the leafs could face repercussions because of that. Im of the belief that of you sign a contract, you intend to fulfill that contract.

Old
06-07-2012, 03:18 PM
MISC*
Negged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogeymane View Post
sup brah yes aware, and no that's over payment by the Leafs.
Negged.

Old
06-07-2012, 03:20 PM
MISC*
Negged.

Quote:
He could always do that, but does that seem like a good idea to you?

I doubt Gillis trades away the better long term option just because he's not getting enough for Luongo.
It's no worse than getting fleeced in a trade for Luongo.

You give. You get.

You get an elite ,superstar top7ish goalie who's cap hit is very affordable. You give a some nice pieces.

Old
06-07-2012, 03:29 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
Get a real GM

Quote:
It's no worse than getting fleeced in a trade for Luongo.

You give. You get.

You get an elite ,superstar top7ish goalie who's cap hit is very affordable. You give a some nice pieces.
It's much worse than getting fleeced in a Luongo trade. No one in this league is gonna give up the better, and younger player from an area of strength, just because the older one isn't returning enough.

Lets look at Luongo's situation:

- Top 10 goalie, but not the clear cut starter in Vancouver
- 33 years old; Maximum 7 years of high performance, realistically around 5
- NTC, so he gets to choose where he goes
- Wants out
- Good cap hit, but terrible term
- Realistically, maybe 3 teams in the running for his services (TOR, FLA, WSH)

This situation looks very similar to the one in Ottawa to me. Heatley was a top 5 winger, but wanted out, had an NTC, and a massive contract. There were about 3 or so suitors for him as well.

San Jose gave up a top 6 forward, a cap dump, and a pick.

If you guys wanna move Luongo without taking on much salary back, that's the kind of deal I see Vancouver making.

Trades aren't just about the lalent level of players. Contract status, age, and trade market significantly influence the value.

No team is giving you one of their best young players for Luongo. I'm willing to bet my username on it.

Old
06-07-2012, 03:33 PM
MISC*
Negged.

Quote:
It's much worse than getting fleeced in a Luongo trade. No one in this league is gonna give up the better, and younger player from an area of strength, just because the older one isn't returning enough.

Lets look at Luongo's situation:

- Top 10 goalie, but not the clear cut starter in Vancouver
- 33 years old; Maximum 7 years of high performance, realistically around 5
- NTC, so he gets to choose where he goes
- Wants out
- Good cap hit, but terrible term
- Realistically, maybe 3 teams in the running for his services (TOR, FLA, WSH)

This situation looks very similar to the one in Ottawa to me. Heatley was a top 5 winger, but wanted out, had an NTC, and a massive contract. There were about 3 or so suitors for him as well.

San Jose gave up a top 6 forward, a cap dump, and a pick.

If you guys wanna move Luongo without taking on much salary back, that's the kind of deal I see Vancouver making.

Trades aren't just about the lalent level of players. Contract status, age, and trade market significantly influence the value.

No team is giving you one of their best young players for Luongo. I'm willing to bet my username on it.

That's what I asked for.
Schenn - 4-5 Dman.
Mac - Cap Dump
2013 1st - pick.

Old
06-07-2012, 03:35 PM
thecatch22

Quote:
That's what I asked for.
Schenn - 4-5 Dman.
Mac - Cap Dump
2013 1st - pick.

Mac has value. Schenn is 22. Ain't touching the 2013 1st.

thecatch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 03:37 PM
IBeL13f
There Is Pain Coming

Quote:
That's what I asked for.
Schenn - 4-5 Dman.
Mac - Cap Dump
2013 1st - pick.

Except Schenn isn't a #4-5 D-man, and MacArthur isn't a cap-dump. He's a ~50-point scoring top-6 winger.

Franson, MacArthur and 2013 2nd for Luongo is what I'd like to see. I don't want Schenn going anywhere, he's going to be so good when he's in his prime.

IBeL13f is online now   Reply With Quote