HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo Trade Value

View Poll Results: What is Luongo's Value?
High Value (e.g., Schenn & Kadri / etc.) 57 13.87%
Moderate Value (e.g., Franson & MacArthur / etc.) 211 51.34%
Low Value (e.g., Franson / 2nd rounder / etc.) 99 24.09%
Negative Value (e.g., Komisarek / etc.) 30 7.30%
Highly Negative Value (e.g., Komisarek & Lombardi) 14 3.41%
Voters: 411. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-07-2012, 04:41 PM
Duke Silver
Truce?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MISC View Post
I really think you Leafs fans are under estimating the amount of reassurance Luongo would provide your dressing room.
The same sort of reassurance he provided YOUR dressing room and your coaching staff?

Take your terrible trade proposals and keep them in your own forums. Your fanbase come off as a bunch of desperate used car salesmen.

Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 04:44 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:
That's what I asked for.
Schenn - 4-5 Dman.
Mac - Cap Dump
2013 1st - pick.

What you're asking for is significantly more than the San Jose trade.

If you think Schenn has 4-5 dman value, you are not even close.

Burke values Schenn very highly. His worth to us is more than Michalek's to San Jose at the time of the trade.

MacA being a dump is just sad. He make what, 3.25M, and is a safe bet to produce 40+ points. His contract reflects his production - he isn't overpaid at all, and has the value equivalent to a mid-high 2nd rounder.

That 1st is probably between 10-20, which destroyes the pick San Jose gave up.

It's not even close really.

Last edited by Chandrashekhar Limit: 06-07-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 06:10 PM
wickedwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine View Post
The caps, I don't have a good read on what they think of their goalies, could be a wildcard in the Luongo deals.
They have no interest in Luongo. They were perfectly happy to go with Neuvirth/Holtby a year ago and would have done so had Vokoun not fallen into their lap for $1.5 million,

wickedwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 06:38 PM
Baarle*
Lähme looduses

It doesn't matter what Luongo is actually worth, there is the leafs and maybe 1 other team that would take him on. The canucks want to trade him. Supply and Demand folks.

Baarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 06:40 PM
Tie Domi Esquire
;;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baarle View Post
It doesn't matter what Luongo is actually worth, there is the leafs and maybe 1 other team that would take him on. The canucks want to trade him. Supply and Demand folks.
Markstrom, Bjugstad + 1st, final offer

Tie Domi Esquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 06:46 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

moderate, with a cap dump thrown in

so franson/macarthur/komisarek

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 06:53 PM
T M L

No value at all!

Keep him FAR from Toronto! That contract sucks.

T M L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 07:26 PM
Wisp

Hey guys look at we're looking forward too in Vancouver. Can't wait!

courtesy of thepuckmonster.

Last edited by Wisp: 06-07-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 08:29 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 900
At risk of being flamed, judging by some offers posted here...
Luongo + Raymond + Schroeder
for
Kadri + Schenn + 2nd.

Why Toronto does it:
Schenn has not gone anywhere near his potential in Toronto. He is overpaid and underachieving, with the potential to get better.
Kadri is expendable, with Colborne and Gally/Grigs able to add some centre depth to your roster.

Luongo-Allows you to be competitive and contend for around 5 years, which is enough time to find your own goalie and have him mentored by Luongo. TSN says that Luongo has let leak he'd like to retire in around 4-5 years. And even if he doesn't, you can bury him in the minors.

Raymond is a two way winger who is wicked fast. He is a bit of a reclamation project, but is certainly an asset as he shows flashes of offensive instinct while still being responsible defensively.

Schroeder is our top centre prospect, who can somewhat replace Kadri in the depths chart.

Anyways, this trade makes both teams better and gives players on both teams the fresh start they need. All I ask is that I don't get responses like"this is awful" without a reason why. Tell me what you see as a more beneficial trade for both teams.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 08:32 PM
mossy joe
keep it riel

i don't know why anyone would want a finicky, playoff tent folding goalie that has ten years left on his ticket.

i see luongo as an anchor for the canucks for a loooong time.

mossy joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 08:33 PM
mossy joe
keep it riel

anchor in a bad way obviously..

mossy joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 09:02 PM
Duke Silver
Truce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
At risk of being flamed, judging by some offers posted here...
Luongo + Raymond + Schroeder
for
Kadri + Schenn + 2nd.

Why Toronto does it:
Schenn has not gone anywhere near his potential in Toronto. He is overpaid and underachieving, with the potential to get better.
Kadri is expendable, with Colborne and Gally/Grigs able to add some centre depth to your roster.

Luongo-Allows you to be competitive and contend for around 5 years, which is enough time to find your own goalie and have him mentored by Luongo. TSN says that Luongo has let leak he'd like to retire in around 4-5 years. And even if he doesn't, you can bury him in the minors.

Raymond is a two way winger who is wicked fast. He is a bit of a reclamation project, but is certainly an asset as he shows flashes of offensive instinct while still being responsible defensively.

Schroeder is our top centre prospect, who can somewhat replace Kadri in the depths chart.

Anyways, this trade makes both teams better and gives players on both teams the fresh start they need. All I ask is that I don't get responses like"this is awful" without a reason why. Tell me what you see as a more beneficial trade for both teams.
Our best forward prospect who has posted PPG at the AHL level + a 22-year old defenceman with boatloads of potential + 35th overall FOR a #1 goalie in the twilight of his prime who is inked until the age of 43 + a soft 3rd liner who recently returned from serious neck issues and struggled mightily + a 5 foot 9 prospect who has posted just barely over HALF a point-per-game at the AHL level whose stock as a top-6 forward has dropped dramatically.

No thanks.

You are NOT getting the following: #5, Kadri, Schenn, Frattin, Gardiner
You MAY get: #35, Colborne, Ashton, Biggs, Ross, Holzer, Blacker
You WILL TAKE a bad contract back.

Have I evaluated your proposal to your standards?

Last edited by Duke Silver: 06-07-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old
06-07-2012, 09:04 PM
NoTouchIcing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkin67 View Post
Id make them eat some cap.
Yep, totally agreed. We'll take your huge contract, you take our short-term **** that expires this year.

NoTouchIcing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 09:07 PM
NoTouchIcing

Quote:
Because GMMG could always trade Cory for a nice return and keep Luongo? Wait for Lack who is said to have a higher ceiling than Cory to develop in 2-3 years?
Then let him. That's totally irrelevant.

NoTouchIcing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 09:22 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
Our best forward prospect who has posted PPG at the AHL level + a 22-year old defenceman with boatloads of potential + 35th overall FOR a #1 goalie in the twilight of his prime who is inked until the age of 43 + a soft 3rd liner who recently returned from serious neck issues and struggled mightily + a 5 foot 9 prospect who has posted just barely over HALF a point-per-game at the AHL level whose stock as a top-6 forward has dropped dramatically.

No thanks.

well said.

06-07-2012, 09:26 PM
Hackeybuff*

Quote:

No thanks.

This is my opinion. I have been around this game a long time.
The leafs need a quality goaltender. Your team hasn't made the playoffs in 8 years. Your team has changed coach and GM and many players. You have used several goalies in that period.

Canucks have a bonifide franchise goalie that we developed and nurtured for the last 8 years . Schneider was expected to be traded due to Lui signing the long contract two years ago. Schneider turns out to be SO GOOD that we now want to trade Lui instead of Schneider of all things.

So we have a situation. Problem is not need from both sides, its being reasonable from both sides.

Canucks can trade Luongo to other teams or keep him . That is an option.

Leafs can say no and carry on with the goaltending they have.

Here is the issue. Canucks are winning presidents trophies , Leafs missing playoffs. One team can afford to walk away from any trade, the other side is still left wanting.

Brian Burke cannot miss the playoffs again. Phil Kessel has an NTC starting in July and then a NMC next year and then hes a UFA. He wont stay in Toronto if he keeps missing the playoffs.

If you want to play hardball and lowball the Canucks, risk the awful consequences of what may occur if you dont upgrade your goaltending. The Leaf ownership cares alot about playoff revenue. Its been 8 years. They are sick and tired of 'rebuilding' and 'being patient' .

The Canucks will move him , it just depends on what offer we get and when. Could be by training camp could be by the draft. Most predict it will be by the draft.

Just my .02

Hackeybuff* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 09:32 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Bob Mac replying to a couple of Vancouver fans on twitter just this past hour...

Quote:
gmoneynu
@TSNBobMcKenzie what team is most likely to take a run at Luongo this summer. And who do you think will get him

TSNBobMcKenzie
@gmoneynu perhaps FLA or TOR but it will need to be a soft deal.

‏Truenucksfan
@TSNBobMcKenzie You are delusional if you think Luongo will not go for something significant. Contract or not.

TSNBobMcKenzie
@Truenucksfan if so, he won't be dealt.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 09:43 PM
darrylsittler27

And I'm from Vancouver..

and have watched Luongo since he came into the league.he is soft and Vancouver knows it now.This is a pump and dump when in reality Vancouiver will have to pay someone to take him.He won't look that good in Toronto and in a strike year at 35 he may be finished already.Stay away guys,Vancouver insulated him.Im tired of paying for other teams problems.

darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:08 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

Quote:

No thanks.

Alright, I'll try to address your concerns:
1) Schenn has not produced after 4 years of playing for the leafs. At some point he needs to be given a chance in a different system.

2) Yes Luongo is "inked" until he's 43, but as soon as he starts playing below the high standards set up by Reimer/Gustavsson, you can put him in the minors and his cap hit vanishes. And that's only if he chooses not to retire early, which is unlikely.

3) Raymond is not a 3rd liner. He is a top 6-er who is still recovering from his injury, but he will do much bettervon a team that can fit himon their top 6 where he can recover his game. He is still a safer player than Schenn at the moment too.

4) Schroeder is not as good as Kadri. Granted. But he plays a much more defensive game and is more of a playmaker, which should be taken account instead of just looking at his stats.

5) Luke Schenn is making only 1.5 mil less than Luongo, and Luongo is currently performing above what his salary suggests. Schenn is grossly underperforming. You get a great player and hope he doesn't decline, we get a bad player and hope he becomes good.

Old
06-07-2012, 10:14 PM
Duke Silver
Truce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackeybuff View Post
This is my opinion. I have been around this game a long time.
The leafs need a quality goaltender. Your team hasn't made the playoffs in 8 years. Your team has changed coach and GM and many players. You have used several goalies in that period.

Canucks have a bonifide franchise goalie that we developed and nurtured for the last 8 years . Schneider was expected to be traded due to Lui signing the long contract two years ago. Schneider turns out to be SO GOOD that we now want to trade Lui instead of Schneider of all things.

So we have a situation. Problem is not need from both sides, its being reasonable from both sides.

Canucks can trade Luongo to other teams or keep him . That is an option.

Leafs can say no and carry on with the goaltending they have.

Here is the issue. Canucks are winning presidents trophies , Leafs missing playoffs. One team can afford to walk away from any trade, the other side is still left wanting.

Brian Burke cannot miss the playoffs again. Phil Kessel has an NTC starting in July and then a NMC next year and then hes a UFA. He wont stay in Toronto if he keeps missing the playoffs.

If you want to play hardball and lowball the Canucks, risk the awful consequences of what may occur if you dont upgrade your goaltending. The Leaf ownership cares alot about playoff revenue. Its been 8 years. They are sick and tired of 'rebuilding' and 'being patient' .

The Canucks will move him , it just depends on what offer we get and when. Could be by training camp could be by the draft. Most predict it will be by the draft.

Just my .02
I couldn't give a crap how long you've been around this game. There are plenty of people at retirement age who have watched hockey for decades yet don't have a sweet clue of what they're talking about on these boards. So don't give me that spiel as if you're somehow more qualified than others. It's elitist and not conducive to productive conversation.

You talk about the Leafs being desperate for a starting goaltender, and I understand where that comes from. But just because we haven't made the playoffs in 'x' amount of years does not mean we should make stupid, senseless trades out of desperation. That is when mistakes are made. It's creating holes in one area to fill a hole in another.

Kadri has a bright future in this league. He has 15-18 years of very good hockey left in him. He was drafted #7 overall for a reason: because he is going to be an impact top-6 forward. When compared to other players of his size and skill-set who took a while to make it to the NHL (Ribeiro, Roy, Marchand), he is on pace with how their careers started out.

Schenn has shown glimpses of dominance in years 1 and 3 of his career but regressions in 2 and 4. Many believe it was because of the emphasis our development staff placed on bulking up more, which slowed him down on the ice. Despite this, he has been at the top of the league in hits every year. He shows leadership qualities beyond his years. With our new coach and skating coach we have high hopes for his future.

Speaking of desperation, you have a team with two #1 goalies: one's being paid $5.3M until the age of 43 and the other is an RFA set to make a boatload of cash. Schneider's time is now and he and his agent know it. Teams are likely foaming at the mouth just waiting for an opportunity to send him an offer sheet on July 1 and really put the Canucks in a bad spot. Gillis has three weeks to trade Luongo to a very short list of teams who are likely all very apprehensive of the length of his contract. I can't believe Canucks fans believe Gillis is in a negotiation position of strength here.

You can act as if you know what's going through Burke's mind all you want but the fact of the matter is he's not about to give up significant pieces of our future for a 33-year-old goaltender with a cumbersome 10-year contract, especially with the uncertainty involved in how the new CBA will address these contracts. The Leafs are assuming ALL of the risk in that situation. If that's what it takes, a deal won't be made.

Old
06-07-2012, 10:21 PM
ChesapeakeRipper
#45 Bernier ❤

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluemachine View Post
Bob Mac replying to a couple of Vancouver fans on twitter just this past hour...

nice. this should put the delusional canucks fans in their place.

ChesapeakeRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:33 PM
Dr Swag
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwice View Post

nice. this should put the delusional canucks fans in their place.

So Luongo for Armstrong and a 5th?

Dr Swag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:34 PM
Duke Silver
Truce?

Quote:
Alright, I'll try to address your concerns:
1) Schenn has not produced after 4 years of playing for the leafs. At some point he needs to be given a chance in a different system.
Yes he has produced. He's been atop the league in hits every year, and has had two very impressive years and two years of regression in alternating fashion. May I also note that he's 22 years old? Players of his ilk take a while to come into their own.

Quote:
2) Yes Luongo is "inked" until he's 43, but as soon as he starts playing below the high standards set up by Reimer/Gustavsson, you can put him in the minors and his cap hit vanishes. And that's only if he chooses not to retire early, which is unlikely.
Great, so we can get a goaltender for 5 years and bury him while two of our best assets live it up on the Canucks for the next 15 years. Great deal.

Quote:
3) Raymond is not a 3rd liner. He is a top 6-er who is still recovering from his injury, but he will do much bettervon a team that can fit himon their top 6 where he can recover his game. He is still a safer player than Schenn at the moment too.
He was this year. And aside from 2009-10 he's never put up points that would suggest he's a top-6. We've tried the whole reclamation project before (see: Lombardi). No interest in it. Raymond is also the anti-thesis of a Burke player: small and soft. We're not looking for that type of player. We have better forwards than him already in our top-6.

Quote:
4) Schroeder is not as good as Kadri. Granted. But he plays a much more defensive game and is more of a playmaker, which should be taken account instead of just looking at his stats.
Schroeder is more of a playmaker than Kadri? That's laughable. He has very low hope of ever becoming an impact top-6 forward.

Quote:
5) Luke Schenn is making only 1.5 mil less than Luongo, and Luongo is currently performing above what his salary suggests. Schenn is grossly underperforming. You get a great player and hope he doesn't decline, we get a bad player and hope he becomes good.
You're going to come on these forums and tell me you know more about a player on MY team? Jesus.

It's $1.7M actually. Schenn inked his deal at $3.6M/yr based on the type of player the Leafs believe he can become. He's paid right alongside what Brooks Orpik and Marc Staal are making.

Luke Schenn is NOT a bad player. It's ridiculous to say that about a 22-year-old defenceman. You clearly never watch the Leafs.

It's funny how you come on here, discount the talent of our players, talk up how great your players are, and act as if YOU'RE the ones taking on all the risk. Wow.

I'm done trying to spell this out for your fanbase. We'll all see what the package for Luongo is within the next 3 weeks. Should be a good laugh.

Old
06-07-2012, 11:02 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

Quote:
Yes he has produced. He's been atop the league in hits every year, and has had two very impressive years and two years of regression in alternating fashion. May I also note that he's 22 years old? Players of his ilk take a while to come into their own.

Great, so we can get a goaltender for 5 years and bury him while two of our best assets live it up on the Canucks for the next 15 years. Great deal.

He was this year. And aside from 2009-10 he's never put up points that would suggest he's a top-6. We've tried the whole reclamation project before (see: Lombardi). No interest in it. Raymond is also the anti-thesis of a Burke player: small and soft. We're not looking for that type of player. We have better forwards than him already in our top-6.

Schroeder is more of a playmaker than Kadri? That's laughable. He has very low hope of ever becoming an impact top-6 forward.

You're going to come on these forums and tell me you know more about a player on MY team? Jesus.

It's $1.7M actually. Schenn inked his deal at $3.6M/yr based on the type of player the Leafs believe he can become. He's paid right alongside what Brooks Orpik and Marc Staal are making.

Luke Schenn is NOT a bad player. It's ridiculous to say that about a 22-year-old defenceman. You clearly never watch the Leafs.

It's funny how you come on here, discount the talent of our players, talk up how great your players are, and act as if YOU'RE the ones taking on all the risk. Wow.

I'm done trying to spell this out for your fanbase. We'll all see what the package for Luongo is within the next 3 weeks. Should be a good laugh.
I apologize for calling Schenn a bad player. I only meant he was underperforming in regards to his contract. Mason Raymond is no Lombardi, he only makes 2.5 mil. And I didn't say Schroeder was more of a playmaker than Kadri, I admitted Kadri is a better player. Just that Schroeder should not be written off as stats are deceiving. Schroeder does have a better defensive game than Kadri, and that is something that should be taken into account, especially when your GAA is one of the worst in the league.

Old
06-07-2012, 11:06 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

I voted for Negative Value because I can't see Mike Gillis thinking he can get an A+ package of players/picks going to Vancouver. In my view it's obvious that the Canucks want to get rid of Luongo's contract and they can't see him as their #1 Goalie, so I say Burke or whoever trades for him has all the power when choosing what they are giving up.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote