HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part III)

Closed Thread

Old
10-03-2012, 05:04 PM
JackSlater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Hartnell could be that Morrow type player, just muck and grind while chipping in and throwing some huge hits. Another season like last years and he'll be hard to keep off the team
There is much less need for a Morrow type player on international ice.

Old
10-03-2012, 07:32 PM
Polaris500*

FWD's
Krys Barch
Darryl Boyce
Anthony Stewart
Joel Ward
Phil Esposito
Jason Chimera
Andrew Cogliano
Charlie Chonacher
Boyd Gordon
Matt Stajan
Brent Gretzky
David Desharnais

Defence
Jason Strudwick
John Scott
Bobby Orr
Wade Redden
Gary Bergman
Rhett Warrener

Goalies
Andrew Raycroft
Mario Lemieux
Turk Broda

Coaching Staff
Stephen Harper, Conn Smythe, Brent Gretzky (player coach)

Old
10-03-2012, 09:10 PM
habsrule4eva3089

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
There is much less need for a Morrow type player on international ice.
You still require a power forward of sorts. Meaning a dynamic skater who'll go in on the forecheck complete his checks, win races, go to the front of the net etc... Evander Kane really fits that role, he looked solid at the Worlds with Getzlaf and Perry and I wouldn't be surprised if that's a line come 2014.

Old
10-03-2012, 09:28 PM
habsrule4eva3089

Great story on the radio today. Blair MacKasey former head scout of Hockey Canada was telling the listeners how he was watching a game in 2010 before the Olympics with Stevie Y, and they were watching Mike Richards, and they weren't sure if quick enough to keep up to Olympic competition. But then he described Mike Richards in one word. Winner. Everywhere he goes, every level he's played, all he does is Win, Win, Win. He's not the quickest guy, he's not the most skillful player, he's not the strongest guy around, but there are those few players who just bring a team together, a glue guy, and Mike Richards is one of the best leaders in the game. J. Ross Robertson Cup, Memorial Cup, World Junior Gold, Calder Cup, Olympic Gold, and now Stanley Cup Champion. It's still early, but I like Mike Richards chance of being on the squad come Sochi! The return of Richards-Toews-Nash perhaps!

Old
10-04-2012, 03:05 AM
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing

As a Canucks fan, I don't want to see Burrows on the team, not because I don't like him or because he isn't a very good hockey player, but because there are so many guys ahead of him that are simply better. Can't say I'd be thrilled with Hartnell making the team either.

Old
10-04-2012, 06:21 PM
therealdeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris500 View Post
FWD's
Krys Barch
Darryl Boyce
Anthony Stewart
Joel Ward
Phil Esposito
Jason Chimera
Andrew Cogliano
Charlie Chonacher
Boyd Gordon
Matt Stajan
Brent Gretzky
David Desharnais

Defence
Jason Strudwick
John Scott
Bobby Orr
Wade Redden
Gary Bergman
Rhett Warrener

Goalies
Andrew Raycroft
Mario Lemieux
Turk Broda

Coaching Staff

Best post in this thread!

Old
10-07-2012, 02:15 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

In his recent G&M interview, Bettman touched on Sochi:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...3336/?page=all

Quote:
Q: Will the Olympics be decided in the CBA that should come out of these negotiations?

A: I know that we are going to be addressing international issues. … I think we’re in agreement on this that as we address the international aspects of the game going forward that We have got to look at everything: the Olympics, the World Cup, the world championships and the various things that we think we can do to extend the reach of the game worldwide, even more than it already is. I don’t view that as a bargaining chip for either side. I view that more as problem-solving and working together to figure out the right solution.
I know nothing has been officially decided about 2014 - but I can't imagine NHL not being there - while there are many reasons they should/will be there...i can't imagine the drama if they were at the Olympics in Canada and weren't there at the Olympics in Russia.

I guess Pyeongchang is another story - but they were in Nagano...so it's not like they can claim S. Korea is "too far".

Old
10-07-2012, 11:28 AM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
In his recent G&M interview, Bettman touched on Sochi:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...3336/?page=all

I know nothing has been officially decided about 2014 - but I can't imagine NHL not being there - while there are many reasons they should/will be there...i can't imagine the drama if they were at the Olympics in Canada and weren't there at the Olympics in Russia.

I guess Pyeongchang is another story - but they were in Nagano...so it's not like they can claim S. Korea is "too far".
Canada's biggest competition for Gold in Sochi will be the U.S. and Russia.

Canada's biggest competition for Gold in Korea will be Sweden and Finland.

By 2018, the best American and Russian players will be in their 30's and I don't see players coming up that can replace the likes of :

Malkin
OV
Kovulchuk
Datsyuk
Radulov

Parise
Kesler
Ryan
Statsny
Kessel, etc...

I see some Alex Semins coming down the pike for Russia but you don't win with those guys. I see a lot of Ryan Callahans for the U.S. but you don't win (on the big ice) with those guys either.

The ability to score drops off like a stone in your 30's. Thankfully for Canada we have a constant annual stream of players in all areas – except goalie.

By 2018, both Sweden and Finland will be young, fast, talented and challenge Canada for top spot.

Last edited by OttawaRoughRiderFan: 10-07-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old
10-07-2012, 12:33 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris500* View Post
FWD's...
Made me laugh.

Old
10-08-2012, 10:38 AM
espo*

I think i'd win with this team, at the very worst I could beat the Russians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris500* View Post
FWD's
Krys Barch
Darryl Boyce
Anthony Stewart
Joel Ward
Phil Esposito
Jason Chimera
Andrew Cogliano
Charlie Chonacher
Boyd Gordon
Matt Stajan
Brent Gretzky
David Desharnais

Defence
Jason Strudwick
John Scott
Bobby Orr
Wade Redden
Gary Bergman
Rhett Warrener

Goalies
Andrew Raycroft
Mario Lemieux
Turk Broda

Coaching Staff

Old
10-09-2012, 12:47 PM
Mehar

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule4eva3089 View Post
You still require a power forward of sorts. Meaning a dynamic skater who'll go in on the forecheck complete his checks, win races, go to the front of the net etc... Evander Kane really fits that role, he looked solid at the Worlds with Getzlaf and Perry and I wouldn't be surprised if that's a line come 2014.
Absolutely. I want one of Kane, Hall and Skinner to be there in Sochi if they have a great year next year. I am a big fan of Kane, since he is the type of guy on the big ice Canada should target for 2014.

Old
10-10-2012, 03:19 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehar View Post
Absolutely. I want one of Kane, Hall and Skinner to be there in Sochi if they have a great year next year. I am a big fan of Kane, since he is the type of guy on the big ice Canada should target for 2014.
I'm not so sure about Kane. Despite his speed he's never impressed me on big ice. He's played in 3 WC and all were rather underwhelming. Granted he's still young and his game needs to mature, but he still has a whole lot he needs to prove and improve on. I put Skinner in the same category.

Kane's stat line in the KHL after 4 games is 0 0 0 -4 And the coach is questioning his conditioning. It's still early, but he is continuing to underwhelm.

Last edited by Mr Writer: 10-10-2012 at 03:27 AM.
Old
10-10-2012, 01:55 PM
True Hockey Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
I'm not so sure about Kane. Despite his speed he's never impressed me on big ice. He's played in 3 WC and all were rather underwhelming. Granted he's still young and his game needs to mature, but he still has a whole lot he needs to prove and improve on. I put Skinner in the same category.

Kane's stat line in the KHL after 4 games is 0 0 0 -4 And the coach is questioning his conditioning. It's still early, but he is continuing to underwhelm.
I share your opinion. Kane might be a good choice, but right now, I would take someone else.

It's hard to predict....for example I can imagine Rick Nash as a first line forward as well as a 4th line forward.

Old
10-10-2012, 07:39 PM
espo*

I agree, I don't see what Kane has done in his career yet to warrant him being seriously discussed as an option for this team.

I agree he's got potential but he will really have to bring it the next 2 years to make this squad.

He's just not there right now.

Old
10-11-2012, 12:26 PM
Mehar

I do not think Kane will be on the team. All i am saying if guys like him, Hall and Skinner all have great years next year, and the first couple of months of the 2013-14 season, they should be on the radar.

Old
10-12-2012, 02:19 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Leaving aside all the other reasons we want hockey back - for simply the context of this thread i wish the younger players were getting more time...so, in advance of Sochi, we could get a better picture of their development.

Old
10-14-2012, 11:54 AM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehar View Post
I do not think Kane will be on the team. All i am saying if guys like him, Hall and Skinner all have great years next year, and the first couple of months of the 2013-14 season, they should be on the radar.
Hall, Seguin - maybe.
Skinner - maybe on the taxi squad.
Kane - no.

Old
10-14-2012, 07:08 PM
Hammer Time

vCash: 533
Quote:
Leaving aside all the other reasons we want hockey back - for simply the context of this thread i wish the younger players were getting more time...so, in advance of Sochi, we could get a better picture of their development.
If there's a silver lining in the lockout, it's that some top Canadian players are getting experience on European ice. Although for sure I'd rather the NHL be back.

Old
10-14-2012, 07:14 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
If there's a silver lining in the lockout, it's that some top Canadian players are getting experience on European ice.
I never thought about that. Good point.

Old
10-14-2012, 08:57 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
If there's a silver lining in the lockout, it's that some top Canadian players are getting experience on European ice. Although for sure I'd rather the NHL be back.
That didn't help the Canadian players who played in Europe during the 2004-2005 lockout because it was before the 2006 Olympics and Canada finished 7th on European ice.

Old
10-15-2012, 10:03 AM
86Habs

Quote:
And for that reason, if the lockout keeps dragging along and we lose half (or more) of the 2013 season the likelihood that Canada selects a more experienced roster with "known commodities" gets greater and greater. For example, my current forward group, based on projected development/performance includes Eberle, Hall and Seguin. I go back and forth on Perry, but Eric Staal and Sharp are guys I'd want on the team if these young guns don't have a chance to develop and prove that they belong on Team Canada. Eberle has probably done enough to establish himself as an elite RWer in the NHL, and his clutch performances in the WJHCs will likely seal the deal for him. However, neither Hall nor Seguin (especially Hall) have really done enough yet IMO so this next year and a half is crucial for guys like them who are still developing.

Old
10-15-2012, 05:46 PM
True Hockey Fan

What's your opinion about PK ?

My penalty-killing roster:

1. Bergeron - J.Staal - Weber - Pietrangelo / M.Staal
2. Toews - M. Richards - Seabrook - Girardi / Burns

In my opinion, that group looks pretty good - well, on paper at least

+ I think it would be interesting to watch all of them together (J.Staal - Bergeron - M.Richards).

or what about Sharp, E.Kane, Doan, Hartnell, J.Carter, E.Staal, Getzlaf, Perry, Nash...

Old
10-16-2012, 08:55 AM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Hockey Fan View Post
What's your opinion about PK ?

My penalty-killing roster:

1. Bergeron - J.Staal - Weber - Pietrangelo / M.Staal
2. Toews - M. Richards - Seabrook - Girardi / Burns

In my opinion, that group looks pretty good - well, on paper at least

+ I think it would be interesting to watch all of them together (J.Staal - Bergeron - M.Richards).

or what about Sharp, E.Kane, Doan, Hartnell, J.Carter, E.Staal, Getzlaf, Perry, Nash...
I personally don't have both Bergeron and J. Staal on my team; right now I have Bergeron anchoring my 4th line, and I'm leaving Staal off. Similarly, neither Girardi nor Burns makes my current cut of the roster. Up front, I'd have Bergeron, Toews, Richards, Giroux, and Nash work the PK. I'm undecided between Sharp and E. Staal for the 13th forward role, so either of them would be worked into the rotation too. I'd actually look first to Toews, then Crosby for 5 on 3 situations. On defense, any of the following six - Keith, Doughty, Weber, Pietrangelo, Staal, Seabrook - can play the PK, so I wouldn't be shy about rotating through if I were Babcock. Given the Keith - Seabrook chemistry and track record I may lean a little heavier on them, as well as Staal who's not getting any PP time anyway.

Old
10-16-2012, 02:50 PM
therealdeal

I have to say, its much better for Canada if this NHL season happens, even a shortened one. In 2006 none of our players were in shape or ready, and the evaluation process seriously suffered.

Hopefully we can get at least 70-some games in, I know they proposed 82 today, but if something goes wrong looks like we'll still get something.

We're currently about 14 months and one week away from naming the team.

Old
10-16-2012, 09:28 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Hockey Fan View Post
Let's have a look at our offense:

I made a little bit "risky" lines, but....

Tavares - Crosby - Neal
Stamkos - Spezza - Giroux
E.Staal - Toews - Eberle
Nash - Thornton - Perry
13th: M.Richards
I like that you included Neal, but I'm not a fan of Spezza or Thornton. I think your line-combos are okay except for those two players. What I'd do with your lines:

Tavares - Crosby - Neal
X (Toews?)- Stamkos - Giroux
E.Staal - Toews (X) - Eberle
Nash - X (Bergeron? Getzlaf? Richards?) - Perry

?

Closed Thread