HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part III)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-06-2012, 05:07 PM
  #176
sensfan25
Registered User
 
sensfan25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
As a Sens fan, there is no way in hell Spezza should be the #1 RW.








20 Tavares - 87 Crosby (C) - 91 Stamkos
24 Benn - 19 Toews (A) - 28 Giroux
4 Hall - 93 Nugent-Hopkins - 14 Eberle
53 Skinner - 39 Couture - 16 Seguin
9 Duchene

2 Keith - 8 Doughty
27 Pietrangelo - 6 Weber (A)
58 Letang - 76 Subban
57 Myers

31 Price
30 Ward
29 Fleury
I think if Spezza has another great year in the upcoming season he has a chance to make the roster. He would be on the 3rd or 4th line.

sensfan25 is offline  
Old
08-06-2012, 11:26 PM
  #177
DyerMaker66
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
I think at worst RNH will be ppg and decent defensively. That's scary if that's his worst. But Seguin could definitely shift over to centre.

Who would you take over Myers?
Probably M. Staal, and I'd move PK out to the seventh spot (I don't think he'll make it, but it's not like he wouldn't fit on the team skill-wise). Letang takes the right side on the third pairing and Staal goes on the left.

I agree with trd: I don't think Duchene will make it. I'd probably give that spot to Bergeron. He was on the 2010 team, and he'll have some familarity with Crosby and Seguin, should a shake-up be needed.

DyerMaker66 is offline  
Old
08-06-2012, 11:48 PM
  #178
DyerMaker66
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Dover View Post
Posts like this make it hard for people to take you seriously. Nash has no heart? Jordan Staal sucks? Must be beacause hes not a Penguin anymore, right?

Neal has much more to prove then one good year, playing alongside the best player in the world. One thing that sticks out for me is how bad he performed in front of Yzerman in the Penguins-Lightning series a year ago. He had a chance to be a go to guy with no Geno and Crosby, and he was a non-factor. You couldn't even notice him. In the Flyers series, he was making a fool of himself, running around throwing cheap-shots. Hes just not the type of guy I want on the big stage. He loses focus rather easily, and tends not to show for big games. Just my opinion though, Im sure there are other people like yourself who thinks he should be there, I just don't see where he fits.
What's with the question mark? The dude seemed perfectly happy in the mediocrity that was Columbus, and was moved off of a line with arguably the best player in the world.

Obviously Staal doesn't suck, but that doesn't mean he belongs on this team. Is he a 1/2centre on most teams imo? Yes; but without a doubt there are at least 4 Canadian centres that should be on the team before him, and he doesn't play any other position. He's probably about 12th on my depth chart (technically, he's higher because some of them would play wing).

I agree; I don't think he makes the team without a good showing this year, but he hould definitely make it before Jordan Staal.

DyerMaker66 is offline  
Old
08-07-2012, 12:06 AM
  #179
spfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
The defense that I posted is THE best in the world. Carey Price is up there with the best. There won't be many 6-5 games.

More grit up front doesn't equate to better defense. If you think subbing Couture, Skinner, Seguin, RNH, Duchene and Hall for Iginla, Getzlaf, Perry, Neal, Staal and Nash will make the team better defensively, I don't know what to say. Especially on big ice and especially in 2 years. Couture, Seguin, RNH and Duchene are all fine two-way players.

You're evaluating my team as of now and underrating the impact two years of development will have. A bunch of these guys are in their 2nd year in the NHL. They'll be in their 4th then, and will show much improvement offensively, defensively and physically. i think you're especially underrating a guy like RNH who will be a top talent in the game and good all around player.
Well I like 5/6 of your d-men, however Subban wouldn't touch my Team Canada.
That wasn't my problem with your team anyways.

At this point Iginla, Getzlaf,Staal and Nash aren't on my team. I have young players too, but they are physically,offensively and defensively gifted. The likes of Evander Kane and Jamie Benn. I do know you did atleast include Benn on your team, but put him in the wrong role.

I do realize the young players will get better and as I said i have a few of my own young players making it. If RNH,Hall,Eberle were to make Team Canada, it'll be in a scoring line(top 6 role) and not the checking line. I don't see any of them making it though(maybe Eberle to put in place of St Lous if he regresses). I prefer Tavares and Stamkos to be on the 2nd line so that takes out Hall and RNH's spots. Neal-Crosby-Giroux compose my top line btw.

The 3rd and 4th line needs grit and good defensive ability in order to shutdown the other teams top lines. Defense can't do it all. Hall-RNH-Eberle and Couture-Seguin-Duchene would get pushed around easily, especially by a team like the U.S. and I don't see them shutting down a team like Russia.

spfan is offline  
Old
08-07-2012, 12:13 AM
  #180
DyerMaker66
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spfan View Post
Well I like 5/6 of your d-men, however Subban wouldn't touch my Team Canada.
That wasn't my problem with your team anyways.

At this point Iginla, Getzlaf,Staal and Nash aren't on my team. I have young players too, but they are physically,offensively and defensively gifted. The likes of Evander Kane and Jamie Benn. I do know you did atleast include Benn on your team, but put him in the wrong role.

I do realize the young players will get better and as I said i have a few of my own young players making it. If RNH,Hall,Eberle were to make Team Canada, it'll be in a scoring line(top 6 role) and not the checking line. I don't see any of them making it though(maybe Eberle to put in place of St Lous if he regresses). I prefer Tavares and Stamkos to be on the 2nd line so that takes out Hall and RNH's spots. Neal-Crosby-Giroux compose my top line btw.

The 3rd and 4th line needs grit and good defensive ability in order to shutdown the other teams top lines. Defense can't do it all. Hall-RNH-Eberle and Couture-Seguin-Duchene would get pushed around easily, especially by a team like the U.S. and I don't see them shutting down a team like Russia.
I so hope that happens.

DyerMaker66 is offline  
Old
08-07-2012, 12:59 AM
  #181
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!
 
UsernameWasTaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,501
vCash: 500
The bickering in this thread compelled me to go and look at our Van roster for a reminder:

http://www.iihf.com/channels10/olymp...teams/can.html

Seriously? We can put together an even better team than Van w/ what we have in the system.

Sochi will not be easy - but I think we'll be fine - and while there are many reasons we might not win we still have to be the team to beat. It's easy to fixate on our own problems and start to hand-wring...but let's not lose sight of the fact that none of our competitors have a "perfect team" either...they all have their own problems, too...mostly, bigger than our own.

Something that is very positive for us is that the next year and a bit will likely only make our potential team stronger - the young guys will have more development than they have now.

...also, a big reason we spend so much time arguing over the roster is b/c we have so many players. which is a good thing.

If we win in Sochi it will be our 3rd gold in 4 Olympics

UsernameWasTaken is offline  
Old
08-07-2012, 01:22 AM
  #182
DyerMaker66
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
The bickering in this thread compelled me to go and look at our Van roster for a reminder:

http://www.iihf.com/channels10/olymp...teams/can.html

Seriously? We can put together an even better team than Van w/ what we have in the system.

Sochi will not be easy - but I think we'll be fine - and while there are many reasons we might not win we still have to be the team to beat. It's easy to fixate on our own problems and start to hand-wring...but let's not lose sight of the fact that none of our competitors have a "perfect team" either...they all have their own problems, too...mostly, bigger than our own.

Something that is very positive for us is that the next year and a bit will likely only make our potential team stronger - the young guys will have more development than they have now.

...also, a big reason we spend so much time arguing over the roster is b/c we have so many players. which is a good thing.

If we win in Sochi it will be our 3rd gold in 4 Olympics

DyerMaker66 is offline  
Old
08-07-2012, 11:00 AM
  #183
BowDangles
Registered User
 
BowDangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdeal View Post
Yeah I agree, not sure why he wasn't there in 2010, especially when Jeff Carter was on the back up roster. Jeff Carter should have never gotten a sniff and MSL was basically Canada's best winger. He can play the PP, PK, and even strength, not sure why he wasn't a lock. Maybe there is something we don't know.

Frankly all the Hall and RNH are overblown on here as well. Has either gotten over 60 points in one season? Because neither are defensively smart or physically dominant, so really they shouldn't be talked about yet. I hope they develop into stars and are capable of playing in Sochi, but we're basing this on projection alone, not facts.
Judging players on point totals while not considering games played, especially for a tournament this short is pretty narrow minded.

For instance lets look at last season's PPG for some of the players you think are locks and the ones you don't.

Nash - 82GP - 59pts = 0.72ppg
Getzlaf - 82GP - 57pts = 0.70ppg
Perry - 80GP - 60 pts = 0.75ppg

Hall - 61GP - 53pts = 0.87ppg
RNH - 62GP - 52pts = 0.84ppg

I agree that they are not defensively strong yet but that is mainly due to only being in the league for 1 and 2 years. Defence and size will come, they are both decently tall so they just need to fill out. They also do not need to be amazing at defence just decent. They can dominate puck possession and have other players like Bergeron handle the defensive load.

I am excited to see what RNH can do next year with a year already under his belt.

The big question mark will be how Hall plays coming back from his shoulder surgery.

BowDangles is offline  
Old
08-07-2012, 12:55 PM
  #184
86Habs
Registered User
 
86Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spfan View Post
Well I like 5/6 of your d-men, however Subban wouldn't touch my Team Canada.
That wasn't my problem with your team anyways.

At this point Iginla, Getzlaf,Staal and Nash aren't on my team. I have young players too, but they are physically,offensively and defensively gifted. The likes of Evander Kane and Jamie Benn. I do know you did atleast include Benn on your team, but put him in the wrong role.

I do realize the young players will get better and as I said i have a few of my own young players making it. If RNH,Hall,Eberle were to make Team Canada, it'll be in a scoring line(top 6 role) and not the checking line. I don't see any of them making it though(maybe Eberle to put in place of St Lous if he regresses). I prefer Tavares and Stamkos to be on the 2nd line so that takes out Hall and RNH's spots. Neal-Crosby-Giroux compose my top line btw.

The 3rd and 4th line needs grit and good defensive ability in order to shutdown the other teams top lines. Defense can't do it all. Hall-RNH-Eberle and Couture-Seguin-Duchene would get pushed around easily, especially by a team like the U.S. and I don't see them shutting down a team like Russia.
Getzlaf isn't on my team either, but Nash certainly is. Say what you will about his NHL performance, but the guy was huge for us in 2010 in a 2-way role and his game would be a great fit for us on the international ice surface. We'd be able to slot him in on any line, on either wing, and in defensive or offensive situations. Same for Mike Richards. As far as Staal goes, he'd be a perfect candidate for the 13th forward role in my view - a strong overall player with no glaring weaknesses in his game (and who can do everything at a reasonably high level), international experience, can and will play and role asked of him.

Agree on Duchene and Couture - there are better players available and they're both pretty far down my forward depth chart. RNH is the least likely of the Oilers trio to make the team, in my view. Crosby, Stamkos, and Toews are certainly ahead of him. Our checking center (say, Bergeron) is ahead of him. Even if, due to injuries, we lack scoring, Getzlaf and maybe E. Staal are ahead of him and that's not even considering converted centers like Tavares, Giroux and Richards who I'm penciling in on the wing. Things can change over the next year and a half, though. Eberle and Hall have the advantage of playing on the wing, and I can see situations where one or both make it - say, if Perry continues to under-perform and we need a scoring RWer (Eberle), or if we just need Hall's skillset on the international ice. Both guys might simply step it up next year and make it impossible for Yzerman not to take them anyway.

Seguin might find himself on the team based on his chemistry with Bergeron; while he doesn't fit the mold of a traditional checking line winger, keep in mind that Babcock likes to roll 4 lines and have his defensive line(s) present offensive threats as well (think of Toews-Richards-Nash). Basically, you don't want shutdown forwards sucking up 18-22 mins of ice time, so its important that the lines are balanced and can play in any situation. Neal needs to keep developing chemistry and Crosby and scoring 35+ goals - that's his ticket to making this team. But overall, I've never been overly impressed with Neal. I like Benn better, and he's my dark horse to make the forward group, but like I've said before he needs a big season, and either a really strong playoff run or an outstanding WHCs if Dallas doesn't make the playoffs to make the cut. Kane is in a similar situation to Benn - nice player, still developing, needs to prove himself a bit more.

As an aside, what do people think of Patrick Marleau making the team? He's got outstanding speed, can play C or LW, is very solid defensively (and obviously offensively as well), has the ability to play on any of the forward lines, can kill penalties and play the PP, and played pretty well for us in Vancouver. I'm not advocating for him for 2014 given the talent that is ahead of him now or is projected to be ahead of him by then, but if we were to have to set a roster immediately for a World Cup in a month, he'd probably be on my team.

86Habs is offline  
Old
08-07-2012, 01:08 PM
  #185
86Habs
Registered User
 
86Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
Judging players on point totals while not considering games played, especially for a tournament this short is pretty narrow minded.

For instance lets look at last season's PPG for some of the players you think are locks and the ones you don't.

Nash - 82GP - 59pts = 0.72ppg
Getzlaf - 82GP - 57pts = 0.70ppg
Perry - 80GP - 60 pts = 0.75ppg

Hall - 61GP - 53pts = 0.87ppg
RNH - 62GP - 52pts = 0.84ppg

I agree that they are not defensively strong yet but that is mainly due to only being in the league for 1 and 2 years. Defence and size will come, they are both decently tall so they just need to fill out. They also do not need to be amazing at defence just decent. They can dominate puck possession and have other players like Bergeron handle the defensive load.
I am excited to see what RNH can do next year with a year already under his belt.

The big question mark will be how Hall plays coming back from his shoulder surgery.
You may be understating Yzerman's and Babcock's commitment to team defense. Every forward line will be expected to be responsible defensively. It may be easy to say that Bergeron's line will handle the defensive responsibilities, but in a matchup against Russia a hypothetical Malkin-Kovalchuk-Ovechkin line (or whoever) would certainly have the upper hand against an RNH-Eberle-Hall line if Russia had the last line change. Plus, I don't want Bergeron playing 18-22 minutes a night against the opposition's top forward line - do you? Better to balance off the four lines than simply assign the defensive responsibilties to one.

Looking back at our team in 2010, I'd say our only "average to below-average" forward defensively was Heatley, and he was well protected by Thornton and Marleau, who were both well above average.

86Habs is offline  
Old
08-07-2012, 02:23 PM
  #186
BowDangles
Registered User
 
BowDangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Habs View Post
You may be understating Yzerman's and Babcock's commitment to team defense. Every forward line will be expected to be responsible defensively. It may be easy to say that Bergeron's line will handle the defensive responsibilities, but in a matchup against Russia a hypothetical Malkin-Kovalchuk-Ovechkin line (or whoever) would certainly have the upper hand against an RNH-Eberle-Hall line if Russia had the last line change. Plus, I don't want Bergeron playing 18-22 minutes a night against the opposition's top forward line - do you? Better to balance off the four lines than simply assign the defensive responsibilties to one.

Looking back at our team in 2010, I'd say our only "average to below-average" forward defensively was Heatley, and he was well protected by Thornton and Marleau, who were both well above average.
If we are only having to worry about that line going up against a Malkin-Kovalchuk-Ovie line than I think we are pretty well off. This means that our top lines are going to be matched against their weaker lines.

The kids are going to grow defensively, that is the one skill that usually improves no matter what through out time. I wouldn't put Hall and RNH on the team if the Olympics were last year but unless something drastically changes in their develop I believe they will make the 2014 team.

Eberle is the most rounded player of the three right now, he was used on the PK in the world juniors and from time to time in Edmonton.

RNH has a knack for take aways which will more than likely grow with time.

BowDangles is offline  
Old
08-07-2012, 03:13 PM
  #187
86Habs
Registered User
 
86Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
If we are only having to worry about that line going up against a Malkin-Kovalchuk-Ovie line than I think we are pretty well off. This means that our top lines are going to be matched against their weaker lines.
The kids are going to grow defensively, that is the one skill that usually improves no matter what through out time. I wouldn't put Hall and RNH on the team if the Olympics were last year but unless something drastically changes in their develop I believe they will make the 2014 team.

Eberle is the most rounded player of the three right now, he was used on the PK in the world juniors and from time to time in Edmonton.

RNH has a knack for take aways which will more than likely grow with time.
There are no weaker lines in Olympic hockey - you're short-changing the depth that the other top-7 nations currently have. You may also be discounting the physical strength, endurance and stamina that's required to play and succeed at the Olympic level (which may be especially important on the international ice surface). At this point, I don't believe that RNH has the physical strength required to match up against Malkin, Sedin, Backes, Kesler, Zetterberg, or the other top centers out there. That's not a knock on him; he's only 19 yrs old. He'll develop, but I'm not sure if it will be in time for the 2014 OGs. Simply put, the OGs are a much different beast than the NHL. There's a reason why guys like Keith and Weber, who might play upwards of 28 mins a night in the NHL and were our best defencemen in 2010, only averaged around 22-24 mins during the Olympics.

86Habs is offline  
Old
08-07-2012, 03:31 PM
  #188
BowDangles
Registered User
 
BowDangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Habs View Post
There are no weaker lines in Olympic hockey - you're short-changing the depth that the other top-7 nations currently have. You may also be discounting the physical strength, endurance and stamina that's required to play and succeed at the Olympic level (which may be especially important on the international ice surface). At this point, I don't believe that RNH has the physical strength required to match up against Malkin, Sedin, Backes, Kesler, Zetterberg, or the other top centers out there. That's not a knock on him; he's only 19 yrs old. He'll develop, but I'm not sure if it will be in time for the 2014 OGs. Simply put, the OGs are a much different beast than the NHL. There's a reason why guys like Keith and Weber, who might play upwards of 28 mins a night in the NHL and were our best defencemen in 2010, only averaged around 22-24 mins during the Olympics.
It is a lot easier to play your top dman less every night when the drop off to your second pairing is not a big one in terms of skill. These guys were playing in front of Doughty (who was incredible in Vancouver), Pronger, Dan Boyle, Niedermayer, and Seabrook.

I disagree that you need to be stronger on international ice than in the NHL. There is more room and less cycle in the corners involved on bigger ice than in the NHL. The NHL is a more physical game than international and requires bigger bodies.

That being said, I agree RNH needs to get stronger but I don't think the OGs are out of reach. If he can maintain his play of the first half of last season before he got hurt and put up 80pts next year than starts the next year off at a ppg he will solidify his spot on the team no matter how strong he is.

BowDangles is offline  
Old
08-07-2012, 03:54 PM
  #189
SH15
Registered User
 
SH15's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 440
vCash: 500
I cannot believe some of the talent I am leaving off here...

28 Giroux - 87 Crosby (A) - 91 Stamkos
61 Nash (A) - 16 Toews (A) - 12 Iginla (C)
14 Eberle - 20 Tavares - 53 Skinner
21 E. Staal - 11 J. Staal - 24 Perry
10 M. Richards

6 Weber (A) - 8 Doughty
2 Keith - 7 Seabrook
58 Letang - 18 M. Staal
27 Pietrangelo

31 Price
1 Luongo
29 Fleury

SH15 is offline  
Old
08-07-2012, 03:57 PM
  #190
BowDangles
Registered User
 
BowDangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,713
vCash: 500
I have a hard time seeing Iginla on this team, I think they have enough leadership on it in guys like Crosby and Toews to have to bring in a guy like Iginla.

BowDangles is offline  
Old
08-07-2012, 04:02 PM
  #191
86Habs
Registered User
 
86Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
It is a lot easier to play your top dman less every night when the drop off to your second pairing is not a big one in terms of skill. These guys were playing in front of Doughty (who was incredible in Vancouver), Pronger, Dan Boyle, Niedermayer, and Seabrook.

I disagree that you need to be stronger on international ice than in the NHL. There is more room and less cycle in the corners involved on bigger ice than in the NHL. The NHL is a more physical game than international and requires bigger bodies.

That being said, I agree RNH needs to get stronger but I don't think the OGs are out of reach. If he can maintain his play of the first half of last season before he got hurt and put up 80pts next year than starts the next year off at a ppg he will solidify his spot on the team no matter how strong he is.
Well, Seabrook played like 5 minutes a game and both Pronger and Niedermayer were brutal before the medal round so there actually was quite a drop-off from Weber/Keith/Doughty and to a lesser extent Boyle before the Russia game. Everyone saw it, and I'm sure Babcock did too. But that's besides the point - I'm just trying to illustrate that the caliber of play goes up a few notches at the Olympics vis-a-vis the NHL.

Acknowledging that our style will need to adapt from 2010 given the larger ice surface, Babcock (assuming he's back as coach) does play a puck possession style, so strength down low will be important to some extent, though probably not as much as Vancouver where guys like Getzlaf and Morrow dominated down low. We're so deep at center (Crosby, Toews, Stamkos, Bergeron/Richards, Getzlaf, Staal, Giroux, Tavares) that I'm interested in knowing who you think should or will be left off the team in 2014 should RNH become an elite offensive threat (80 pts +). Who do you project to be on the team right now?

86Habs is offline  
Old
08-07-2012, 04:06 PM
  #192
86Habs
Registered User
 
86Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
I have a hard time seeing Iginla on this team, I think they have enough leadership on it in guys like Crosby and Toews to have to bring in a guy like Iginla.
Yep, agreed. Locks to return are Crosby, Toews, Weber, Keith, and Doughty. Richards, Nash, Staal, Bergeron, and Seabrook all have a pretty good shot. Giroux, while not a vet, is by all accounts a great leader as well. We're fine.

And, you never know - maybe Brodeur will find his way back onto the team in 2014 as well

86Habs is offline  
Old
08-07-2012, 05:33 PM
  #193
leafsfan1001110101
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 2
vCash: 500
Here's my roster!

Forwards:
R. Nash - S. Crosby (C) - J. Eberle
J. Tavares - S. Stamkos - C. Giroux
E. Staal - R. Getzlaf - C. Perry
M. Lucic - P. Bergeron - J. Toews (A)
Extra forward: R. Nugent-Hopkins

Defensemen:
A. Pietrangelo - D. Doughty
M. Staal - S. Weber (A)
D. Keith - B. Seabrook
Extra defenseman: K. Letang

Goalies:
C. Price
M.A. Fleury
Third Goalie: R. Luongo

leafsfan1001110101 is offline  
Old
08-07-2012, 07:46 PM
  #194
Mehar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfan1001110101 View Post
Here's my roster!

Forwards:
R. Nash - S. Crosby (C) - J. Eberle
J. Tavares - S. Stamkos - C. Giroux
E. Staal - R. Getzlaf - C. Perry
M. Lucic - P. Bergeron - J. Toews (A)
Extra forward: R. Nugent-Hopkins

Defensemen:
A. Pietrangelo - D. Doughty
M. Staal - S. Weber (A)
D. Keith - B. Seabrook
Extra defenseman: K. Letang

Goalies:
C. Price
M.A. Fleury
Third Goalie: R. Luongo
In terms of your forwards, it surprises me that people forget how terrible Bergeron was in Vancouver. The guy was slow, had his minutes drastically cut, was terrible on the faceoffs and towards the end was not getting any regular minutes. He started playing with Crosby, and then the coaches removed Crosby from his line, and relegated Bergeron to less and less minutes. He will and should not be in Sochi. He was a very disappointing player in 2010. Same with RNH. I do not get the love affair of this guy. The guy turned 19 this year, and finished one season of pro hockey where he was decent but nothing special. There are other guys i like including Skinner and Seguin ahead of these two, with Evander Kane and Taylor Hall possibilities as well.

Mehar is offline  
Old
08-07-2012, 08:23 PM
  #195
KareemTrustfund
Beat it, Grandma.
 
KareemTrustfund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ceti Alpha 6
Posts: 13,250
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfan1001110101 View Post
Here's my roster!

Forwards:
R. Nash - S. Crosby (C) - J. Eberle
J. Tavares - S. Stamkos - C. Giroux
E. Staal - R. Getzlaf - C. Perry
M. Lucic - P. Bergeron - J. Toews (A)
Extra forward: R. Nugent-Hopkins

Defensemen:
A. Pietrangelo - D. Doughty
M. Staal - S. Weber (A)
D. Keith - B. Seabrook
Extra defenseman: K. Letang

Goalies:
C. Price
M.A. Fleury
Third Goalie: R. Luongo
Surely, you jest.

KareemTrustfund is offline  
Old
08-07-2012, 08:28 PM
  #196
Takashi
Registered User
 
Takashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfan1001110101 View Post
Here's my roster!

Forwards:
R. Nash - S. Crosby (C) - J. Eberle
J. Tavares - S. Stamkos - C. Giroux
E. Staal - R. Getzlaf - C. Perry
M. Lucic - P. Bergeron - J. Toews (A)
Extra forward: R. Nugent-Hopkins

Defensemen:
A. Pietrangelo - D. Doughty
M. Staal - S. Weber (A)
D. Keith - B. Seabrook
Extra defenseman: K. Letang

Goalies:
C. Price
M.A. Fleury
Third Goalie: R. Luongo
Those two should be removed.

Takashi is offline  
Old
08-07-2012, 09:11 PM
  #197
leafsfan1001110101
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 2
vCash: 500
I picked Lucic because they clearly thought enough of him to invite him to te summer evaluation camp in 2009.. He is clearly gonna get some consideration and that is absolutely warranted..he scored 30 and 26 goals the past two years and was an integral part of the Bruins cup win. He's only getting better as a player..so that's why I chose him. I didn't like Morrow being selected in 2010 but he worked out nicely and figure a guy like Milan could play the same role. As for Patrice, he might have been underused in 2010 but he just won the Selke.. Enough said, he's beyond capable. Nugent-Hopkins is there based on potential. He was almost a point-per-game this year, and I figure he'll be above that in the next year and a half. I would have him as mostly a power play guy. And Staal is there because he's a good all-around defenseman. Personally, I couldn't really think of anyone else to put there. Normally Pronger would be my guy, but I can't guarantee his health, or if he'll still be at that level.

leafsfan1001110101 is offline  
Old
08-07-2012, 10:12 PM
  #198
therealdeal
Registered User
 
therealdeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,928
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
Judging players on point totals while not considering games played, especially for a tournament this short is pretty narrow minded.

For instance lets look at last season's PPG for some of the players you think are locks and the ones you don't.

Nash - 82GP - 59pts = 0.72ppg
Getzlaf - 82GP - 57pts = 0.70ppg
Perry - 80GP - 60 pts = 0.75ppg

Hall - 61GP - 53pts = 0.87ppg
RNH - 62GP - 52pts = 0.84ppg

I agree that they are not defensively strong yet but that is mainly due to only being in the league for 1 and 2 years. Defence and size will come, they are both decently tall so they just need to fill out. They also do not need to be amazing at defence just decent. They can dominate puck possession and have other players like Bergeron handle the defensive load.

I am excited to see what RNH can do next year with a year already under his belt.

The big question mark will be how Hall plays coming back from his shoulder surgery.
Well well well... look who shows up!

Frankly I agree with what you said, but we're just disagreeing on time-tables. I just said if you're making a team for right now, they're not there yet. Anyone who watched RNH at the worlds knows that, and Hall has been injured, so.

Frankly, I think out of the two, RNH is more likely. Hall I can see being injured a lot unfortunately. The only bad thing about that is that RNH has to compete as a centerman, unless he's capable of playing at the wing. I think most people would agree that he's probably not in the top 6-7 Canadian centers. Hall has a better chance at wing and hopefully can go injury free. His skill set to me is a little more tantalizing for Team Canada given that there are a number similar forwards to RNH on the team. Pure speed would really help back some defenses up.

I just think its hard to imagine right now that you'd take RNH over Crosby, Stamkos, Bergeron (for defense), Giroux, Toews, Tavares, even J. Staal or E. Staal who frankly I'm not particularly high on.

therealdeal is offline  
Old
08-07-2012, 10:53 PM
  #199
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo
 
TheFatOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,378
vCash: 500
What about...




Eberle - Crosby - Stamkos
Giroux - Tavares - Skinner
E.Staal - Toews - Perry
E.Kane - Bergeron - Benn




Weber - Doughty
Keith - Seabrook
Letang - Pietrangelo

TheFatOne is offline  
Old
08-07-2012, 11:07 PM
  #200
therealdeal
Registered User
 
therealdeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,928
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehar View Post
In terms of your forwards, it surprises me that people forget how terrible Bergeron was in Vancouver. The guy was slow, had his minutes drastically cut, was terrible on the faceoffs and towards the end was not getting any regular minutes. He started playing with Crosby, and then the coaches removed Crosby from his line, and relegated Bergeron to less and less minutes. He will and should not be in Sochi. He was a very disappointing player in 2010. Same with RNH. I do not get the love affair of this guy. The guy turned 19 this year, and finished one season of pro hockey where he was decent but nothing special. There are other guys i like including Skinner and Seguin ahead of these two, with Evander Kane and Taylor Hall possibilities as well.
Bergeron I believe missed games before due to his broken thumb (which obviously reduced his faceoff abilities) and I think the word after the Olympics was that he suffered a groin pull in either the Germany or Swiss game.

Seguin still has a lot to prove, especially considering he's competing as a scoring forward really. Evander Kane, I just don't know about. The guy lacks hockey sense in general, but he has so much speed and power, sometimes one or two guys like that are useful. Our players sometimes over think in these tournaments, and guys like that don't tend to over think, they just go full steam ahead. I always feel like that is how the US competes, they have a bunch of simple players that just play full steam ahead.

therealdeal is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.