HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Minor league success in Toronto suggests promising future for Maple Leafs

Old
06-06-2012, 12:15 PM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Minor league success in Toronto suggests promising future for Maple Leafs

It's been a long time since a team in Toronto has played meaningful hockey in the Spring months. The Toronto Marlies have changed those fortunes this season with a strong year that has translated into a lengthy post-season run that has seen the club play in the Calder Cup finals. Led by a handful of solid prospects, the Maple Leafs hope the recent post-season run by the Marlies will translate into more NHL ready players as soon as next season.

AHL

As mentioned above, the Marlies have been a major bright spot in another forgettable season for the Maple Leafs. Finishing second in the Western Conference standings with 96 points, the Marlies have received big performances from key prospects such Ben Scrivens, Matt Frattin, Nazem Kadri, Jerry D'Amigo, and Jake Gardiner.… read more

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:37 AM
jboknows

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF Article View Post

It's been a long time since a team in Toronto has played meaningful hockey in the Spring months. The Toronto Marlies have changed those fortunes this season with a strong year that has translated into a lengthy post-season run that has seen the club play in the Calder Cup finals. Led by a handful of solid prospects, the Maple Leafs hope the recent post-season run by the Marlies will translate into more NHL ready players as soon as next season.

AHL

As mentioned above, the Marlies have been a major bright spot in another forgettable season for the Maple Leafs. Finishing second in the Western Conference standings with 96 points, the Marlies have received big performances from key prospects such Ben Scrivens, Matt Frattin, Nazem Kadri, Jerry D'Amigo, and Jake Gardiner. read more

More...
For all of the **** leafs fans give to burke, he has put in a number of those key pieces down in the marlies. apparently though, unless we win the stanley cup in 5 years, burke's been ****

jboknows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:45 AM
blue82
BELEAF (win or lose)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboknows View Post
For all of the **** leafs fans give to burke, he has put in a number of those key pieces down in the marlies. apparently though, unless we win the stanley cup in 5 years, burke's been ****
i tell this to everybody and unfortunately its true, burke has turned the majority of the media against him, the media controls everything, they put out stories and opinions against brian burke and then the thousands of casual leaf "fans" that dont follow the team only have this to formulate an opinion on him, most true leaf fans know that Burke has done a great job considering what JFJ left him with..its so true when i look at all my friends, the ones that watch the games and follow the team appreciate burke, the ones that dont just recycle the same garbage i hear from most of the media

blue82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:48 AM
ChesapeakeRipper
Dr. Hannibal Lecter

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jboknows View Post
the reason behind this attitude is because burke said it himself that the rebuild or "retooling" would be quicker than usual (less than 4 years). leafs fans having seen that burke hasn't fulfilled his goal, take it as a failure. hence why all the **** slinging.

ChesapeakeRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:57 AM
Dreakmur

Brian Burke has done some good things, which includes building our up our prospect pool, but the overall job he has done is very poor.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:58 AM
Dr Swag
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
Brian Burke has done some good things, which includes building our up our prospect pool, but the overall job he has done is very poor.
I like how you provide some evidence to support the good things he's done, then just declares that he's done a poor job.

Dr Swag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:01 AM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81inblueandwhite View Post
i tell this to everybody and unfortunately its true, burke has turned the majority of the media against him, the media controls everything, they put out stories and opinions against brian burke and then the thousands of casual leaf "fans" that dont follow the team only have this to formulate an opinion on him, most true leaf fans know that Burke has done a great job considering what JFJ left him with..its so true when i look at all my friends, the ones that watch the games and follow the team appreciate burke, the ones that dont just recycle the same garbage i hear from most of the media
I can't say he has done a great job until I see results at the NHL level. We began to see some good results this season but obviously the train fell off the tracks.

Suntouchable13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:03 AM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81inblueandwhite View Post
And Burke is 100% right in calling certain members of the media like Steve Simmons a dirtbag.

Without his article where he talks about Burkes marriage issues but tries to come across in a "hey Burke buddy it's okay lots of my neighbourhood has martial issues as well" tone the vast majority of people would have never even known about these issues.

Or that radio show host who Burke granted any interview to talk about the initiative by his son to support gays and lesbians in sports (who his recently decease son just happened to be gay). Than the host takes an opportunity to try and get some ratings by implying Burke could be fired and acts all shocked when Burke tells him what a low blow that was.

Unfortunately for Burke though, he won't ever win his crusade against the media.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:04 AM
NiL8r87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
I can't say he has done a great job until I see results at the NHL level. We began to see some good results this season but the obviously the train fell off the tracks.
I guess AA's been a failure too.

Foundation is key. The staff is in place, the prospects are in place. Eventually this all trickles down (or up I suppose) to the team itself. Burke promised a 5 year plan but I don't recall what exactly he promised in those 5 years. However I do see a lot of improvement in everything but the team itself. Once the prospect pool starts paying off we'll see a lot better team depth.

NiL8r87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:04 AM
Sypher04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
I agree with this assessment. He's consistently produce a bottom 5-10 team while trying to make the playoffs each year. This at the expense of the only consolation for bad season.

I hate to rehash things, but we cannot assess Burke's job as Toronto GM without the Kessel deal.

If Burke had shown some patience we'd probably be similarly bad in the NHL but our future would still be brighter. Not to say things are dark and gloomy.

Hell, if he'd just made the original draft deal we'd be better off. Kaberle + 7th (Naz) for Kessel, and we get to keep our next 2 first rounders. The one that became Seguin likely doesn't change much... if anything, we're worse without Kessel's 30 goals. And odds are we're worse the next year than finishing 9th last. And even if we weren't Hamilton is gonna be a stud.

Schenn, Seguin, Kessel, Hamilton... hmm?

Sypher04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:07 AM
HenryH

It takes time, sometimes some things don't workout the way you want to. He's done well with the marlies with young players which is a good direction. If you build it, they will come.

HenryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:09 AM
MajorityRules
ExcellencewithVigour

vCash: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sypher04 View Post
I agree with this assessment. He's consistently produce a bottom 5-10 team while trying to make the playoffs each year. This at the expense of the only consolation for bad season.

I hate to rehash things, but we cannot assess Burke's job as Toronto GM without the Kessel deal.

If Burke had shown some patience we'd probably be similarly bad in the NHL but our future would still be brighter. Not to say things are dark and gloomy.

Hell, if he'd just made the original draft deal we'd be better off. Kaberle + 7th (Naz) for Kessel, and we get to keep our next 2 first rounders. The one that became Seguin likely doesn't change much... if anything, we're worse without Kessel's 30 goals. And odds are we're worse the next year than finishing 9th last. And even if we weren't Hamilton is gonna be a stud.

Not bad. Only took 10 posts for a the Kessel trade to be mentioned in a negative way.

MajorityRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:11 AM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseV87 View Post
I guess AA's been a failure too.

Foundation is key. The staff is in place, the prospects are in place. Eventually this all trickles down (or up I suppose) to the team itself. Burke promised a 5 year plan but I don't recall what exactly he promised in those 5 years. However I do see a lot of improvement in everything but the team itself. Once the prospect pool starts paying off we'll see a lot better team depth.
Did not say he was failure. Just saying fans shouldn't build statues for a guy that has not won a thing yet. Same thing with AA, by the way. Don't over praise the guy before he consistently delivers a winning ball club. We should have high standards here. People tend to over praise guys or over bash them, there is no in between.

Suntouchable13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:11 AM
Sypher04

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorityRules View Post
Not bad. Only took 10 posts for a the Kessel trade to be mentioned in a negative way.
Burke and the Kessel trade are forever tied. You simply CANNOT have a discussion about Burke's job as GM here without it.

Old
06-07-2012, 11:16 AM
MajorityRules
ExcellencewithVigour

vCash: 620
Quote:
Burke and the Kessel trade are forever tied. You simply CANNOT have a discussion about Burke's job as GM here without it.
Sure you can. I do it all the time. Helps when you actually appreciate what Kessel brings to the team.

MajorityRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:21 AM
Sypher04

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorityRules View Post
Sure you can. I do it all the time. Helps when you actually appreciate what Kessel brings to the team.
You don't even know what I think of Kessel, so how exactly is it you feel you can comment on how much I appreciate him?

If I didn't appreciate Kessel why would I have said in my previous post that we should've done the original deal that was offered?

Old
06-07-2012, 11:22 AM
hdtrax

Quote:

Everything's easy in hindsight, chief.

Burke has done a phenomenal job since arriving. For as far back as I could remember, the Leafs have never had a strong and competitive farm system. He's added tons of depth to the prospect pool, setting the foundation and now he's looking for top end talent to ensure that all bases are covered. With 5th overall this year, plus 34th overall, they could add some very interesting pieces to the cupboard.

hdtrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Swag View Post
I like how you provide some evidence to support the good things he's done, then just declares that he's done a poor job.
The evidence is in the roster and in the results.

The team sucks. The team has sucked since he got here. Without significant changes, the team will likely suck again next season.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:26 PM
FlareKnight

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don Draper View Post
Everything's easy in hindsight, chief.

Burke has done a phenomenal job since arriving. For as far back as I could remember, the Leafs have never had a strong and competitive farm system. He's added tons of depth to the prospect pool, setting the foundation and now he's looking for top end talent to ensure that all bases are covered. With 5th overall this year, plus 34th overall, they could add some very interesting pieces to the cupboard.
And everything looks better through rose colored glasses, what's your point?

Burke has done a god job adding to the depth of the prospect pool. It's certainly a lot deeper than it used to be. It's still lacking top notch talent, but in terms of quantity it has improved.

Of course at the same time we've been given multiple years of bottom 10 finishes and a lot of years without our picks.

On that note it is a positive and negative thing with the Kessel trade which is going to define his tenure here no matter how people want to ignore it. Got a very skilled forward who will be the key to anything this team is going to accomplish. Gave up 2 high first round picks. Even worse given to a division rival who said forward can not play well against.

A lot of the skill added came at the cost of taking bad contracts which has left us burdened with less cap space and the most expensive third line in hockey.

And so we sit with no #1 center, no #1 goalie, and a lot of question marks. The Marlies should help add to the team (assuming they can find spots with said overpriced contracts), but will have to wait and see how much of an impact they can have.

People can argue that Burke hasn't done nearly as bad a job as some think, but arguing he's done a phenomenal job is ridiculous. You don't have this many questions and mistakes about a phenomenal job.

FlareKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 02:30 PM
-DeMo-

Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
when you finish bottom 10 3 times in a row and have 3 drafts like Burke has had so far it would be pretty pathetic if the prospect pool didn't get better.

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 02:35 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by -DeMo- View Post
when you finish bottom 10 3 times in a row and have 3 drafts like Burke has had so far it would be pretty pathetic if the prospect pool didn't get better.
And yet, it happens all the time around the league. Which of Colborne, Ashton, Gardiner, Scrivens did Burke draft in Toronto again? I see them at the top of the heap, so I assume he must have drafted them with those bottom 10 finishes.

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 03:28 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Only is minor league success transferable to the NHL, if the Leafs begin to employ the kids in the farm system & it brings the parent team success through their positive contributions.

Time will tell if Burke, has bought into this belief, when he no longer goes shopping for marginal NHL talent through trade and UFA signings, and begins to put his faith in drafting and developing his own NHL talent and promoting from within to fill his NHL roster.

06-07-2012, 03:36 PM
Joey Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Only is minor league success transferable to the NHL, if the Leafs begin to employ the kids in the farm system & it brings the parent team success through their positive contributions.

Time will tell if Burke, has bought into this belief, when he no longer goes shopping for marginal NHL talent through trade and UFA signings, and begins to put his faith in drafting and developing his own NHL talent and promoting from within to fill his NHL roster.
Are we sure he didn't buy into this before? And it wasnt just a case of there being no horses in the stable? I'm not sure bringing up Mikus, Caputi or a 19 year old D'Amigo would have been part of a legitimate youth movement.

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 03:40 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post

And we are getting to the point where players from the 2009 draft will be ready to start doing that.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 04:04 PM
Charlie Sheen Swag

I'm not saying the leafs don't have promising prospects that I'm excited about but its kinda like just because you're a star at highschool doesn't mean you're going to make the university team

Charlie Sheen Swag is offline   Reply With Quote