HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Minor league success in Toronto suggests promising future for Maple Leafs

Old
06-07-2012, 04:10 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
And we are getting to the point where players from the 2009 draft will be ready to start doing that.
Great I'm really looking forward to Marlies current success leading to Kadri, Colborne, Frattin, Ashton, Gardiner, Holzer and Scrivens all occupying regular NHL spots next year on my Leafs as Burke moves out his overpaid underperforming vets to make room..

Glad you're on board with "play the kids" concept as soon as next season. Lets hope Burke shares our beliefs

06-07-2012, 04:14 PM
-DeMo-

Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafidelity View Post
And yet, it happens all the time around the league. Which of Colborne, Ashton, Gardiner, Scrivens did Burke draft in Toronto again? I see them at the top of the heap, so I assume he must have drafted them with those bottom 10 finishes.
really? I would challenge you to find me a team who hasn't increased there talent in there prospect pool after finishing in the bottom 10 5 years running like the leafs. Or 3 years like Burks teams have

also Colborne, Ashton, Scrivens are not NHL talent yet so there not really success stories yet.

-DeMo- is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 04:16 PM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Great I'm really looking forward to Marlies current success leading to Kadri, Colborne, Frattin, Ashton, Gardiner, Holzer and Scrivens all occupying regular NHL spots next year on my Leafs as Burke moves out his overpaid underperforming vets to make room..

Glad you're on board with "play the kids" concept as soon as next season. Lets hope Burke shares our beliefs
I think most are on board with the "play the kids" assuming they are ready and are not a downgrade from any current roster players. There should be no entitlement just because they are kids.

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 05:19 PM
ALine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
I think most are on board with the "play the kids" assuming they are ready and are not a downgrade from any current roster players. There should be no entitlement just because they are kids.
Agreed. The "kids" will have to earn their roster spot out of camp just like any other player. The most ready, responsible, hungry for winning, players will get those spots. What I am slightly worried about is the entitlement for established NHLers. e.g Connolly, if he doesn't show the compete level that is necessary (something that was lacking last year) , will Carlyle not think twice about starting him in the minors if Cobourne looks good in camp.

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 05:55 PM
JVReemer

vCash: 610
What I don't understand, is how when youre talking about Burke's time spent in Toronto, you don't automatically think of the Lupul and Gardiner for Beauchemin trade... I mean hello, that had to be the biggest steal of the year, and much better a trade than the Boston one was bad. I think Gardiner is special, and although I can't speak to a comparison with Hamilton at an NHL level, you don't see guys like Gardiner often. Brian Burke pulls off unbelievable trades, and when you trade it is a gamble EVERY TIME. So it drives me bonchars when people attach this kessel deal to Burke all of the time, Burke did not lack patience by any means, his only tragic flaw was too much faith in his team to succeed. I think he is a big time GM, and I love his no bull-crap attitude. I think the first step to continuing Toronto's development, is extending Burke's contract, and letting him know that he is at home.

JVReemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 06:00 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudLife View Post
What I don't understand, is how when youre talking about Burke's time spent in Toronto, you don't automatically think of the Lupul and Gardiner for Beauchemin trade... I mean hello, that had to be the biggest steal of the year, and much better a trade than the Boston one was bad. I think Gardiner is special, and although I can't speak to a comparison with Hamilton at an NHL level, you don't see guys like Gardiner often. Brian Burke pulls off unbelievable trades, and when you trade it is a gamble EVERY TIME. So it drives me bonchars when people attach this kessel deal to Burke all of the time, Burke did not lack patience by any means, his only tragic flaw was too much faith in his team to succeed. I think he is a big time GM, and I love his no bull-crap attitude. I think the first step to continuing Toronto's development, is extending Burke's contract, and letting him know that he is at home.
He should be extended when he has a measurable improvement to show.

All that people can claim now is hope that his work will improve the team.

Why not wait until he delivers something before you reward him for it.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 06:03 PM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post

Absolutely, he has two years to go. No need to do anything rash for at least a year.

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 06:04 PM
JVReemer

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post

I understand your point, he will have to show a bit of improvement in the standings this season, or at least boost our talent pool to an elite level. But what I'm getting at is a GM under pressure is never a good thing, and I really respect Burke as a GM so I personally would be confident in extending his time here.

Mind you all it may take is a pat on the back and support from the ownership to reassure Burkie

JVReemer is offline   Reply With Quote