HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tambo Re-signed

Old
06-07-2012, 12:03 AM
Angry Boys

vCash: 500
He shouldnt have got an extension IMO , though if he was to get one he really only should have a maximum of 1 more season to see if he has what it takes, not some multi year deal. Personally , I'm pretty sure he doesnt have the talent or skills or imagination to turn us into a genuine contender.

I'm sure that when ST said last off season that he has assembled a play off team, that he believed what he said. He made some free agency moves in July + added RNH. We ended up 29th overall - that is just not acceptable.

This off season , we now have range of quality tradable assets - lets see what he can do. He has had another 12 months to 'evaluate "what he has. Can he assemble a decent defence, and a team where the pieces assembled are are a winning combination.

This off season , he needs to look at his leadership team. Will he change captains , and hand leadership over to the newer generation?

I suspect i will know the answers to my rhetorical questions before the first puck is dropped in October ,though I'm 99% sure I already know the answer - he isnt the right guy for the job!

Angry Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:05 AM
Jek McPorkins
Red Six

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
The veterans were bad. Smid, Petry and Dubnyk all took big steps forward and Schultz was a very solid pickup, the D played a lot better after the Schultz trade so there was more than just the Big 3 aiding the improvement.
Cuppy, I respect you and all, but come on. Smid's still a one-trick pony, Petry's still coughing the puck up and Dubnyk still gives up goals early and then gets to play teams who are protecting leads.

They're bright spots, but they're not 100W bulbs, let's not get carried away.

Jek McPorkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:07 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Really? I couldn't disagree more. This team was clearly better than the teams of the last 2 seasons, this shouldn't even debated. Besides the eye test in which they looked better, they improved by 12 points in the standings despite AGAIN a bunch of key injuries and the special teams were VASTLY improved, the goal differential was VASTLY improved plus they blew out some pretty good teams and beat a bunch of good teams. The team definitely showed signs of life for the first time in Tambellini's tenure and it should only go up from here.
I don't know how anybody can watch last seasons' team and think that they were just as bad as the previous 2 seasons.
This team was ****ing awful without the three young kings and you'd need a new sub-basement to house where they would finish without them. If this was pro soccer this club would be relegated to division 3 by now.

We keep getting top picks but the general club outside of that is progressively worse. We get worse supporting cast players instead of players that could shore up a lineup.

I don't count on Eberle having another career year either. That was knock the lights out good this year. I don't think he, or anybody can reproduce that performance this season.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:12 AM
dobiezeke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermullet View Post
Cuppy, I respect you and all, but come on. Smid's still a one-trick pony, Petry's still coughing the puck up and Dubnyk still gives up goals early and then gets to play teams who are protecting leads.

Will agree that Petry has much improvement needed to become a top 4 defenceman. As well, Dubynk has yet to reach the level of a number one goalie.

I disagree with Smid - what is it that you believe is his "one trick"? Solid defensive zone play? Solid on the PK? In the top 5 in blocked shots? He actually improved his offensive play this past season and was more active in entering the offensive zone which was no where to be seen in seasons past. I believe Smid has become an effective top 4 partner that allows a more offensive partner to take more chances knowing that Smid will be there to cover the play as it moves back into our end.

dobiezeke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:12 AM
McCupofOil
Bob The Builder

Quote:

Smid actually chipped in some offensively this season with 5 goals and 15 points so he did ok there while being a stud defensively, hopefully he builds on it.

Petry did turn over the puck a lot but there was a good 20-25 game stretch when he was playing excellent hockey. He's a bit of a riverboat gambler at times so naturally he will turn over the pcuk some as is par for the course with young offensive defensemen but he clearly took strides forward as the season progressed although he still has a ways to go. Again, just like Smid, he will need to prove more to show that it's not a fluke but the vital signs are trending upward although i'm more confident in Smid keeping up a high level of play.

Same with Dubnyk, he really picked it up in the second half of the season once he was handed the reigns. His second half numbers were excellent but like the other two, he will have to prove that last season wasn't a fluke.

These guys aren't worldbeaters but they will be important players going forward if they keep progressing at this rate and that's reason for some optimism outside of the big 3 or 4 if they do the right thing and draft Yakupov.

McCupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:30 AM
Jek McPorkins
Red Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobiezeke View Post
Will agree that Petry has much improvement needed to become a top 4 defenceman. As well, Dubynk has yet to reach the level of a number one goalie.

I disagree with Smid - what is it that you believe is his "one trick"? Solid defensive zone play? Solid on the PK? In the top 5 in blocked shots? He actually improved his offensive play this past season and was more active in entering the offensive zone which was no where to be seen in seasons past. I believe Smid has become an effective top 4 partner that allows a more offensive partner to take more chances knowing that Smid will be there to cover the play as it moves back into our end.
I love Smid's defensive zone play, no question. But I'm not going to pretend that his five goal "outburst" sets the table for any more than a few lamplighters next year. Smid was asked to carry the puck and shoot more because Gilbert, our only semi-proven puck-mover and shooter (ugh, gagged just saying that) was dealt for a stay-at-homer. Smid was option 2 on a horrendous team. He'd still be option 5 or 6 on an average team.

Not ragging on the guy, management has simply stripped the cupboard bare as far as offensive defenseman go. It's like driving out on a date to make-out point and then shooting all four of your tires. Here we are.

Old
06-07-2012, 12:39 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
<mod edit>

I'm curious about the bolded though. What exact dead weight was expedited? Is buying out players considered a management skill now? Just wondering. The Souray situation was an embarrassing debacle with Tambo playing top rodeo clown.
<mod edit>

I was referring to players like moreau, pisani, nilson, souray (and spare me the BS, there are plenty of teams buying out and burying contracts), visnovsky, etc.

To the poster who called me a Tambellini apologist - there is a search function and you can even narrow it down to my screen name. You go ahead and find all my posts where I'm making excuses for him and defending all his moves.

Last edited by s7ark: 06-07-2012 at 05:31 PM. Reason: cleanup
Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:42 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
Philly's turnaround does not apply to us.
Agreed. They had management that knew how to take some risks and get creative. We had ... well Tamby.

Quote:
Boo f***in' Hoo

I'm sure the Colorado Avalanche, Chicago Blackhawks, and Pittsburgh Penguin feel REALLY bad for tanking for so many years, and winning their cups. Their reputations sure as hell aren't tarnished.
Really? I sure consider the Pens (and to a lesser extent the Hawks) losers who sucked their way into winning .... and they did it twice. I'd sooner cut off a finger than ever cheer for that lame franchise to ever win anything again. I'm sure there are plenty of other fans over the age of fifteen who feel the same way.

Quote:
We already had zero pride or reputation around the league, so we may as well grab the best draft picks out of it. I feel absolutely ZERO remorse over getting these players.
Shows what you know about the Oilers history and tradition .... ZERO.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:56 AM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
This team was ****ing awful without the three young kings and you'd need a new sub-basement to house where they would finish without them. If this was pro soccer this club would be relegated to division 3 by now.

We keep getting top picks but the general club outside of that is progressively worse. We get worse supporting cast players instead of players that could shore up a lineup.

I don't count on Eberle having another career year either. That was knock the lights out good this year. I don't think he, or anybody can reproduce that performance this season.
I think one of the common lines I read around here (mostly from the fans of other teams) is about how loaded this team is offensively. They're not. Last year they were pretty much a 1 line team outside of a couple of outbursts by Gagner and Hemsky and 25 games from Smyth. Drafting Yak is not a luxury for this team, it's a necessity if they ever want to be considered a serious contender.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:56 AM
Sethis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
The issue I have with articles like this, and a lot of the posts in this thead, is the disturbing lack of suggested Tambo replacements.

No one wants him as GM, but no one will offer up alternatives.
Did you read it?

"I disagree. Tambellini hasnt had a long time in the saddle, but with his contract up the Oilers had a decision to make. Based on his work so far, was there reason to believe that he was a better candidate than Jason Botterill or Paul Fenton or Jeff Gorton or Dave Nonis or Julien BriseBois or Joe Will? Id argue that there wasnt. Id argue that the evidence, incomplete though it is, suggests that Steve Tambellini is not the best man to try and build another Stanley Cup Champion in Edmonton."

Sethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:57 AM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

This thread is getting a little too heated. Let's calm things down before people start getting infractions.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 05:53 AM
McVespa99

Quote:
The most valuable asset the organization has is money. Tons of it. And it has been mismanaged horrendously, from paying players to play for other teams, to refusing to use cap space to acquire assets, while lining Katz's pockets from perpetual sell-outs. Don't be so easily led.
Quote:

It's funny, in the late 90's we all imagined how incredible the Oilers could be if the Canadian dollar went to par and the league changed some rules. Fifteen years later and we rival some of the most putrid stretches by franchises in the history of the league. And some of you are proud of this abortion.

This scorched earth policy is NOT the only way for a team to become competitive. It's a method of cheating that takes advantage of the rules of the game and the dedication of fans in order to set up a BUSINESS for both short-term and long-term prosperity, at the cost of any sort of pride or reputation around the league.

Cam ****ing Barker. Jesus Christ.
So lets just assume your right. Which by the way you are not Who should the Oilers have given all this money to? I seem to recall them trying to throw large, very full bags of it at a couple of top end free agents. The bags were thrown right back at them with a polite note saying thanks but no thanks. Money is only an asset is there is a player that is willing to take it to play for your team. In the end the only way to rebuild in a less desirable market like Edmonton is to draft until the team is good enough to attract a couple of free agents to finish the process. That combined with a trade or 3 for depth. To believe anything else will work is to ignore the facts and history.

McVespa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 07:28 AM
April McEthereal
5-14-6-1

vCash: 407
I wish my job rewarded me for doing nothing.

April McEthereal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 07:32 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa99 View Post
[B]

So lets just assume your right. Which by the way you are not Who should the Oilers have given all this money to? I seem to recall them trying to throw large, very full bags of it at a couple of top end free agents. The bags were thrown right back at them with a polite note saying thanks but no thanks. Money is only an asset is there is a player that is willing to take it to play for your team. In the end the only way to rebuild in a less desirable market like Edmonton is to draft until the team is good enough to attract a couple of free agents to finish the process. That combined with a trade or 3 for depth. To believe anything else will work is to ignore the facts and history.
1) They wre so smart that when they couldn't sign fa's they still gave all that money to freaking Horcoff.

2) Edmonton is a less than desireable fa spot in good part to the actions of management over the last 8-10 years.

Beerfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 08:23 AM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
A Tambellini contract extension is about the single biggest sign that this organization could give that they don't give a **** about winning. Building arenas, charging $10 for beers, and expanding the Rexall empire all take priority over icing a winning team and contending for championships.

God, I'm a fan of such a loser franchise.

The Human Torch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 08:43 AM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
Did you read it?

"I disagree. Tambellini hasnt had a long time in the saddle, but with his contract up the Oilers had a decision to make. Based on his work so far, was there reason to believe that he was a better candidate than Jason Botterill or Paul Fenton or Jeff Gorton or Dave Nonis or Julien BriseBois or Joe Will? Id argue that there wasnt. Id argue that the evidence, incomplete though it is, suggests that Steve Tambellini is not the best man to try and build another Stanley Cup Champion in Edmonton."
Wow, uh, that's quite a list there. The Oilers missed out and now they're all scooped up, managing teams of their own.

What was there at all to suggest they were better candidates at the time (or now, for that matter).

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 08:48 AM
Seachd

Quote:
Cam ****ing Barker. Jesus Christ.
Are you really upset about Cam Barker? It matters that much to you?

If cheap, insignificant, short-term signings are your biggest problem with GMs, then there must be 30 complete and utter failures running teams around the league right now.

I'm not sure what you were expecting. Every GM makes signings like that. If Cam Barker is one of your biggest problems with the team, you're going to be disappointed no matter who the GM is.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 08:56 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Torch View Post
A Tambellini contract extension is about the single biggest sign that this organization could give that they don't give a **** about winning. Building arenas, charging $10 for beers, and expanding the Rexall empire all take priority over icing a winning team and contending for championships.

God, I'm a fan of such a loser franchise.
I've said in the past, once this is set in motion, heads will roll. Katz is ruthless I've heard in the business world and I can see him do that. Just like him scooping up smaller pharmacies to build his empire, he's scooping up lottery picks/1st overalls-its just not a fun ride for the fans but I do see him being an ass once the Arena is finalized

frag2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 09:06 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 2768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Well hopefully this upcoming season the team takes an actual step forward. I wonder what the reaction will be around here if they don't.

All of these exact same conversations took place last season. Tambellini had his chance to show me something this season. In my opinion he did not. He is not the right person for the job in my mind. I hope I'm wrong and he turns this team into something beyond awful.
Again if you expected things to happen that quickly then that really is your own fault. They made it clear after they finished 30th the first time that there was a new plan. If he doesn't get results this year then he'll be fired it's just that simple.

Fans with unrealistic expectations aren't ST's fault. He's doing exactly what he set out to do.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 09:14 AM
McDorian2
Positional Bias.

Patience is a virtue that seems to be lacking in these forums.

McDorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 09:49 AM
Pennertration

Regarding the apparent discrepancy about Renney being fired and Tambo keeping his job, I think two things did Renney in.

1) His inability to translate team improvements (more wins, better PP, better PK, etc) into a better showing in the standings.

2) His apparent inability to get more out of guys like Belanger, Eager, Hordichuk, Khabibulin and perhaps even Paajarvi and Omark.

As for Tambo staying in place, I think management feels the team is about where it should be in the rebuild process. I also think Tambo will really start to be evaluated and judged based on his performance moving forward. If the team underperforms early and management doesn't like the job Tambo did in the offseason, I think they'll let him go (provided there's a half-decent candidate available to replace him).

Pennertration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 09:57 AM
rosemount289

Don't Get It?

I don't get it.............they fired the coach with the same record amassed as the GM?

Yet the GM with the same record get an extension?

All the free agents signed by the GM have not worked out very well?

Yet they still..........?

rosemount289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:05 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemount289 View Post
I don't get it.............they fired the coach with the same record amassed as the GM?

Yet the GM with the same record get an extension?

All the free agents signed by the GM have not worked out very well?

Yet they still..........?
Probably because our current GM is a figurehead. No point in hiring a new guy to become the fall guy in a year or two. Then they can re-introduce Lowe as the GM.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:54 AM
Jek McPorkins
Red Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa99 View Post
[B]

Using cap space to acquire assets means that we take on a bad contract along with prospects/picks when a contender needs a salary dump to make a playoff run. See Florida.

Nowhere in my posts did I advocate big game hunting.

Don't be so foolish as to blindly accept the "our hands are tied, we must finish last for several years" excuse trotted out to the media. It's a pathetic lie from a loser management team.

Old
06-07-2012, 10:58 AM
Jek McPorkins
Red Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
Are you really upset about Cam Barker? It matters that much to you?

If cheap, insignificant, short-term signings are your biggest problem with GMs, then there must be 30 complete and utter failures running teams around the league right now.

I'm not sure what you were expecting. Every GM makes signings like that. If Cam Barker is one of your biggest problems with the team, you're going to be disappointed no matter who the GM is.
That signing is symptomatic of everything that Tambellini has screwed up. Terrible pro scouting, terrible use of money, and a willingness to fill out a roster with absolute garbage in order to stay at the bottom of the league. All while claiming that this team is playoff-worthy.

I guarantee that GMs around the league are howling with laughter at the Oilers' propensity for acquiring terrible players.