HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Tambo Re-signed

Old
06-06-2012, 04:48 PM
hockeyaddict101

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I don't mind the following;
Fraser for Smyth
Foster for Sutton
Cole(ufa) for 2nd and POS
Vandermeer for POS
Cogs for 2nd

I ask which ones did he clearly lose?
The Smyth deal where basically it was almost fumbled, Lombardi had a fit and we basically knew Smyth was Edmonton's first choice. Like the Hall and RNH picks, really not going to give him much credit for that one.

Yes, they were able to dump a BAD free agent signing for Sutton. Ok trade, terrible free agent signing. Let's rank him a 5.

Really we got POS (an awful player) and a 2nd for Cole. POS was awful. Got a draft pick. The draft pick was better than POS. So basically a second for Cole? Sorry no win for me there.

Yes getting anything for POS was probably a win but that really doesn't say a lot for the original trade for Cole as I said above. Vandemeer was ok. No loss but no win either.

-------------

Really most of his trades seem reactions for his previous bad decisions. He is reactionary and rarely proactive!

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 04:49 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessikaLovejoy View Post
Don't forget Staios for Johnson and a 3rd rounder (i think?)

Then again, Sutter was going crazy at that time. But good on Tamby for taking advantage.
I think most GM's would've done Staios for Johnson, 3rd was quite the add on.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 04:49 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
It's not so much the 6 points but what it points to with the direction of this team. If this team showed some improvements in the standings then I would perhaps have some faith that when the time came that Tambellini would be able to add some good veteran depth. Thus far basically every veteran signing he has made has been a flop.

So it's not about points, but improvements in the standings only?

Old
06-06-2012, 04:51 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
I think most GM's would've done Staios for Johnson, 3rd was quite the add on.
That was actually one of his few clear wins IMO.

Old
06-06-2012, 04:53 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
The Smyth deal where basically it was almost fumbled, Lombardi had a fit and we basically knew Smyth was Edmonton's first choice. Like the Hall and RNH picks, really not going to give him much credit for that one.

Yes, they were able to dump a BAD free agent signing for Sutton. Ok trade, terrible free agent signing. Let's rank him a 5.

Really we got POS (an awful player) and a 2nd for Cole. POS was awful. Got a draft pick. The draft pick was better than POS. So basically a second for Cole? Sorry no win for me there.

Yes getting anything for POS was probably a win but that really doesn't say a lot for the original trade for Cole as I said above. Vandemeer was ok. No loss but no win either.

-------------

Really most of his trades seem reactions for his previous bad decisions. He is reactionary and rarely proactive!
Cole was a UFA that Lowe screwed up on, acquiring something for him was worth it IMO. Just too bad POS doesn't like to try.

Like I said, what are the clear loses? I don't think the Whitney one is decided or the Gilbert one at this point. Can't really pin point one that was god awful.

Didn't he trade Garon as well, which resulted in Stone and Reider? Seems like another decent trade.

As for the proactive part, I don't think he's really had to do that yet. That's why we haven't seen it.

Old
06-06-2012, 04:53 PM
Spawn

Quote:
So it's not about points, but improvements in the standings only?
Its about building a good hockey team. Tambellini has shown absolutely nothing to suggest he can.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 04:55 PM
Vagabond

Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHaireDevil View Post
The whole point of the last three years was to get the best players possible from the draft, management came right out and said it, they got the number one pick each of the last three, if your objective is to get the highest picks you can does that not qualify as a roaring success?

Or would your prefer to finish 9th place in the west each time and draft 13-14th?

We can't seem to sign high quality free agents and you can't trade **** for stars how the **** else were they supposed to go about this rebuild otherwise?

Pray that you are going to get an Eberle quality player out of the draft every year?

Hope that other GM's are just back from their lobotomy surgeries?

Use mind control implants on high quality free agents to make them sign with our team?

Chewing off your own arm to save your life is going to hurt more than rolling over and dying.

Has the last few years been hard to take listening to fans of other teams call us names and run down the city the team and all the other assorted BS that came along with it (especially the losing) been ugly?

Absolutely.

Suck it up, here's a straw.

Lots of respected hockey people think this team is going to be a force to contend with, its just going to take time.

This isn't the Cogliano Brule Nilsson Schremp PoS show anymore.
Nicely said!

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 04:57 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Cole was a UFA that Lowe screwed up on, acquiring something for him was worth it IMO. Just too bad POS doesn't like to try.

Like I said, what are the clear loses? I don't think the Whitney one is decided or the Gilbert one at this point. Can't really pin point one that was god awful.

Didn't he trade Garon as well, which resulted in Stone and Reider? Seems like another decent trade.
When you are defending him with "no clear losses" then you know you really don't have a winning argument.

As I said average at best.

I guess this fan base is so used to crap teams that average is worth defending.

Old
06-06-2012, 04:58 PM
TheBusDriver
Private Eyes

Quote:
Its about building a good hockey team. Tambellini has shown absolutely nothing to suggest he can.
Okc has been pretty good since he took over.

I dont think his mandate over the last couple years was to compete for the cup.

TheBusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 04:59 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Yet the team has improved in some many areas over the past couple year.

Old
06-06-2012, 04:59 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:

In what universe does success in the standings hinder the development of young players? How would Steve Tambellini having assembled a passable defensive top 6 hurt the development of Hall or RNH or Eberle?

Keep in mind that this season was not a resounding success for all of our prospects. RNH, Eberle, and Hall all had great seasons, but Paajarvi took a massive step backwards, Lander toiled away on the 4th line. It's tough to screw up a 1st overall pick. In order to be successful, along with developing your gimme picks, you got to develop some of the rest. That didn't really happen this year. Maybe with Petry.
I was never saying success in the standings would correlate to prospects developing poorly. But you knew I never said that.

By the sounds of it, Tambo asked Renney to coach with a mind to development as opposed to points.

You mentioned six prospects above, four of which had excellent seasons. Show me a team this year that went 6/6 with regards to prospect development. It's hard to find a team of kids that all have linear career progression.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 05:00 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
When you are defending him with "no clear losses" then you know you really don't have a winning argument.

No it's because I didn't expect us to be a cup finalist after drafting Taylor Hall. Things don't happen overnight it takes time. We knew this back when we drafted Hall, but for some reason no one remembers this.

Old
06-06-2012, 05:03 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Yet the team has improved in some many areas over the past couple year.
Well hopefully this upcoming season the team takes an actual step forward. I wonder what the reaction will be around here if they don't.

All of these exact same conversations took place last season. Tambellini had his chance to show me something this season. In my opinion he did not. He is not the right person for the job in my mind. I hope I'm wrong and he turns this team into something beyond awful.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 05:03 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
No it's because I didn't expect us to be a cup finalist after drafting Taylor Hall. Things don't happen overnight it takes time. We knew this back when we drafted Hall, but for some reason no one remembers this.
I understand it will take time but his decisions have not inspired confidence.

As I said many of his moves seem reactionary, he doesn't seem dynamic or quick to make a decision.

Amateur scouting has been great. Not at all confident that he is dynamic enough to fit the final pieces in the puzzle or that the Oilers pro scouting is at all where it needs to be.

Old
06-06-2012, 05:04 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:

As for the proactive part, I don't think he's really had to do that yet. That's why we haven't seen it.
The problem with Tambo is he hasn't acquired any talent that has performed better here then they have for their last team. Whether that falls on Tambo or the pro scouting staff I'm hoping the rumors are true that they'll be making changes.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 05:05 PM
Beerfish

The guy has become a darling of some parts of the fan base by 'rebuilding' this after totally and utterly failing in chasing rainbows.

He has done a poor job of adding FA that can help the team.

He now has a 4th coach in 5 years.

No surprise at all about the extension. I will say one thing. His ass and Lowes should firmly be on the line from this moment onwards. There should be zero beefing about any coach we hire. This is all on the GM, a guy that expects his coaches to produce or they get canned and yet he has totally failed in many ways.

As for Lowe I can't stand the guy any longer, patting the gm on the back for winning the draft lottery and trotting up to make announcements at the draft.

Beerfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 05:06 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
The problem with Tambo is he hasn't acquired any talent that has performed better here then they have for their last team. Whether that falls on Tambo or the pro scouting staff I'm hoping the rumors are true that they'll be making changes.
Hearing the same rumours and rumblings about the pro scouting and I hope they are true.

Major deficiency.

Old
06-06-2012, 05:08 PM
Pennertration

Quote:

Trades are very rarely clear wins and clear losses these days, unless you trade away Dion Phaneuf for essentially nothing.

Even with the Kessel deal (which I consider a clear win for Boston), Phil Kessel has played pretty darned good at times. Not good enough to justify that terrible deal, but still.

So, it's pretty common for GMs to be "average at best" when it comes to trades. I noticed you didn't chip in any clear trade losses Tambo has suffered.

I think you could argue - with the benefit of hindsight - that the Cole deal was a loss, but I still would've done that trade.

After LA wins the Cup, I'm sure many will argue that the Penner deal was also a clear loss, but we'll see.

Pennertration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 05:08 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
I never understood the Tambo is doing just swell position.

If 6 points is measly, what is 9 points? I ask because that's what separated us from joining only 2 other franchises that have finished 30th 3 years in a row.

I never understood the constant forgiving of finishing crappy positions. From where I sit, after having 2 consecutive 1st overalls make the team, you should improve enough to get out of the basement.

I know people compare us to former rebuilds, so lets do that.

Blackhawks picked Toews at 3, and then Kane at 1. Toews went back for another year after his draft. After him and Kane joined the team(their rookie seasons), they picked 11th overall next time.

Pittsburgh picked Malkin at 2, Crosby at 1 and Staal at 2. Malkin and Staal joined the team after Staal's draft year and they picked 20th overall next time.

Washington? Picked Ovy 1st overall, Backstrom 4th and then Alzner. Backstrom came over to join Ovy after Alzner's draft and they made the playoffs the season after.

Not only have our kids gone straight to the NHL, ie no going back to whatever team to further develop(rightfully so), but they have actually produced quite well. In alot of cases, comparable to the talent they are compared to. Hall has been a 20g scorer from his first year. Eberle scored in the past year at a near PPG pace. RNH broke 50 points as a rookie center. That's terrific anyway you cut it.

The difference in results is largely due to the hideous rest of the team. Outside of 5-8 players on last years team, everyone else was below par or sucked. That falls on Tambo. The inability to get out of the basement even with premier talent producing on your team is nothing but a failure.

While I'm sure there will be those who say, but since we have Hall, RNH, Yakupov, Nail, Klefbom, that was worth! They will lead us to the cup!

In theory that's terrific, but this is real life. This isn't NHL 12 where everything happens in a linear fashion. This causes problems because your team lacks quality depth. Take for example our LW situation next season. Hall's injury (torn labrum) has shown in the past to take the better part of the season to recover. Both Okposo and Streit of the NYI has needed it, and they have both had the same injury. Smyth is old. He is 36 going to be 37. For all intents and purposes, the 2nd half of the year has shown us that if you overplay him, he'll break down. Also the issue of him declining naturally and without a contract currently(though I think one will get done). We are talking about our #2 and #4 ES scorers. #2 and #3 goal scorers. We have a very likely chance to facing a situation where our left side doesn't really produce all that much. Now with RNH's growth, possibly Hemsky's bounceback and Yakupov's infusion(I doubt Eberle can be reasonably asked to produce that much more), it is possible that we cover what Hall and Smyth don't produce next season. The question becomes, how much will they have to make up, and how much will it hamper our improvement? How do we fix it?

Not only that but we've got far too many questions going into our 4th season of this rebuild. Will Dubnyk be able to play like he did his 2nd year. Will Whitney have 2 full legs for a whole season. Will Hemsky produce at a better pace and/or play for a whole season. Will we see less games with a ****** effort.

While Tambo has done some nice things such as get rid of some bad contracts, but he didn't use that extra cap space to take advantage of the situation. If getting rid of contracts is enough for people to say Tambo has done a good job, I don't know what to tell you.

Tanking really takes no plan. It only requires the inability to make more good moves than bad. I'm sure people will say, but what do you want Tambo to do? I'd like Tambo to do what Holmgren in Philly did. I'd like him to do what Shero did in Pittsburgh. Hell I'll take what Tallon has done in Chicago. Actively make moves to get the **** out of the basement. Not bring down a pillow and some sheets to get comfortable.

Next year it should be at worst 10th in the West. Realistically should be playoffs, but Katz has shown he's fine with the extreme version of slow and steady. It should not take you the better part of 5 years to move up 5 spots in the conference. Especially in a league with a salary cap. Tambo's job has to be on the line if we finish even 11th in the West. To take half a decade to realistically compete for the playoffs especially when you have had your choice of prime young talent from the draft is abject failure.

06-06-2012, 05:09 PM
JessikaLovejoy

Quote:
I understand it will take time but his decisions have not inspired confidence.

As I said many of his moves seem reactionary, he doesn't seem dynamic or quick to make a decision.

Amateur scouting has been great. Not at all confident that he is dynamic enough to fit the final pieces in the puzzle or that the Oilers pro scouting is at all where it needs to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Off the top of my head, I'd say Sutton has been better here than he was in Anaheim.

And I think its unfair to point out that the free agent signings/trades haven't been huge contributors to this team. This is still a team that has finished in the bottom 2 3 years in a row. The impact players are steering clear until this team starts winning.

Until then, its mostly average players chasing money and icetime who will be interested. Which is fine, I think. These players sign for 2-3 years at decent cap hits which would make them easy to move when the time comes. Big impact players sign for longer term and higher hits which will impact the signings of the kids. The past couple of years, the team just needed slots temporarily filled so the kids who will eventually take over can develop at their own pace in junior/AHL.

JessikaLovejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 05:13 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post

I know people compare us to former rebuilds, so lets do that.

Blackhawks picked Toews at 3, and then Kane at 1. Toews went back for another year after his draft. After him and Kane joined the team(their rookie seasons), they picked 11th overall next time.

Pittsburgh picked Malkin at 2, Crosby at 1 and Staal at 2. Malkin and Staal joined the team after Staal's draft year and they picked 20th overall next time.

Washington? Picked Ovy 1st overall, Backstrom 4th and then Alzner. Backstrom came over to join Ovy after Alzner's draft and they made the playoffs the season after.
I like our kids, but they're not Sid, Malkin, Toews, or Ovi.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 05:17 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 4000
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHaireDevil View Post
The whole point of the last three years was to get the best players possible from the draft, management came right out and said it, they got the number one pick each of the last three, if your objective is to get the highest picks you can does that not qualify as a roaring success?

Or would your prefer to finish 9th place in the west each time and draft 13-14th?

We can't seem to sign high quality free agents and you can't trade **** for stars how the **** else were they supposed to go about this rebuild otherwise?

Pray that you are going to get an Eberle quality player out of the draft every year?

Hope that other GM's are just back from their lobotomy surgeries?

Use mind control implants on high quality free agents to make them sign with our team?

Chewing off your own arm to save your life is going to hurt more than rolling over and dying.

Has the last few years been hard to take listening to fans of other teams call us names and run down the city the team and all the other assorted BS that came along with it (especially the losing) been ugly?

Absolutely.

Suck it up, here's a straw.

Lots of respected hockey people think this team is going to be a force to contend with, its just going to take time.

This isn't the Cogliano Brule Nilsson Schremp PoS show anymore.
So why fire Renney then?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 05:17 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennertration View Post
Trades are very rarely clear wins and clear losses these days, unless you trade away Dion Phaneuf for essentially nothing.

Even with the Kessel deal (which I consider a clear win for Boston), Phil Kessel has played pretty darned good at times. Not good enough to justify that terrible deal, but still.

So, it's pretty common for GMs to be "average at best" when it comes to trades. I noticed you didn't chip in any clear trade losses Tambo has suffered.

I think you could argue - with the benefit of hindsight - that the Cole deal was a loss, but I still would've done that trade.

After LA wins the Cup, I'm sure many will argue that the Penner deal was also a clear loss, but we'll see.
I would argue that the players he has got for the most part have not performed up to expectations.

That could be attributed to bad pro scouting so I am hoping that there are some changes there.

As I said, he doesn't inspire confidence in me. Now is really the time to start filling the holes. Let's see how he does over the summer. Perhaps he will change my mind.

Old
06-06-2012, 05:20 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 4000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
One of the top AHL teams, and HF considers us to be one of the deepest prospect pools in the league. He's not doing too bad in that department.

And BTW what you're describing are Stu/Nelson Problems if you think Scouting and Development are our weakpoints.
Four years in and our defense STILL has half its spots filled with AHL players on a regular basis. And we STILL have big question marks in net. Both areas he has done NOTHING about other than signing retreads and an old goalie with a questionable health record.

But he deserves an extension.

Ok then.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 05:21 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Only in Edmonton do you finish;29th, and 30th twice, and get rewarded for it.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote