HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tambo Re-signed

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-06-2012, 10:07 PM
  #201
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,261
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHaireDevil View Post
Because management thinks it is time to change from a development style coach to a coach that can get the most from his players and win games.
Say what?

Good luck with that.

If only they would have figured out sooner that the only thing holding this team back was the "development style" coach.

Plan the parade.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 10:19 PM
  #202
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Then die of alcohol poisoning.

Good luck with that
What are you an 80lb girl? Thats a mickey. In the 70's that was required pre-drinking before school on a Friday..

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 10:24 PM
  #203
SilverHaireDevil
Registered User
 
SilverHaireDevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Say what?

Good luck with that.

If only they would have figured out sooner that the only thing holding this team back was the "development style" coach.

Plan the parade.
Did I say any of that?

Can you honestly say you were happy with the way Renney used his players?

This is like that Luongo thread on the main board, round and round like a knob on a ****house door.

SilverHaireDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 10:46 PM
  #204
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings
 
Psycho Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 10,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessikaLovejoy View Post
Pittsburgh had Whitney (5), Fleury (1), and the mighty Crosby (1), the greatest player of his generation who went on to get 102 pts in his rookie year and his team still finished low enough to draft Staal.

What does this mean? Nothing. It's not over yet.
Don't bother cherry-picking the exception to the rule and pretending that this sad sack team has any hope of repeating their success, unless you really believe that we'll improve by 47 points from last season to next season.

These naive "we could be <insert Stanley Cup Champion team name here>" posts are pointless. Have you looked at just how bad this team is, how many holes we have, and how Tambellini has actually made the line-up worse?

<mod edit>


Last edited by s7ark: 06-07-2012 at 05:33 PM. Reason: cleanup
Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 10:51 PM
  #205
bleed_oil
Registered User
 
bleed_oil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,833
vCash: 500
LOL. An extension for this foolish man.
Wow.
I dont even bother posting anymore cause a good decade or so of complete mediocrity is enough for me.
Call me when this team is relevant again.

bleed_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 10:55 PM
  #206
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Because he said 5 yr rebuild. This is fine and all but a team rarey goes from around last place to a playoff competitor. Not saying it won't work but it's gonna take longer than 5 or 6 yrs for sure.
No offence (and I'm no Tambellini apologist) but that makes zero sense considering that the post-lockout league is completely dominated by younger talent.

If the players that we've drafted first overall (and Eberle @ 22nd overall) are good enough then we'll get over the hump but it will be despite Tambellini's "best" efforts.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 10:55 PM
  #207
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,261
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHaireDevil View Post
Did I say any of that?

Can you honestly say you were happy with the way Renney used his players?

This is like that Luongo thread on the main board, round and round like a knob on a ****house door.
Yes actually.

That was the reason you gave.

"Development style" coach.

Its not my fault your argument doesnt make any sense.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 10:56 PM
  #208
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Displaced
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermullet View Post
Don't bother cherry-picking the exception to the rule and pretending that this sad sack team has any hope of repeating their success, unless you really believe that we'll improve by 47 points from last season to next season.

These naive "we could be <insert Stanley Cup Champion team name here>" posts are pointless. Have you looked at just how bad this team is, how many holes we have, and how Tambellini has actually made the line-up worse?

<mod edit>
<mod edit>

Everybody around here is always *****ing about Tambo, and yes, not every move he made has worked out (Bulin contract, Barker signing) but he shipped out a lot of the dead weight that started the losing tradition we've seen for the last 4 years and is building a winning team the way his boss, you know - the guy that owns the team and pays for them losing - told him to...


Last edited by s7ark: 06-07-2012 at 05:32 PM. Reason: cleanup
Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:06 PM
  #209
SilverHaireDevil
Registered User
 
SilverHaireDevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Yes actually.

That was the reason you gave.

"Development style" coach.

Its not my fault your argument doesnt make any sense.
I didn't say that the development style coach held the team back, he was in fact needed to "develop" the kids into NHL players, now that that has happened it is time to change gears towards actually playing to win. (something a Renney coached team had some real problems doing)

No mentions of any parades in my posts. (till this one)

Somewhere a fine arts program is missing its star.

SilverHaireDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:16 PM
  #210
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
<mod edit>

Everybody around here is always *****ing about Tambo, and yes, not every move he made has worked out (Bulin contract, Barker signing) but he shipped out a lot of the dead weight that started the losing tradition we've seen for the last 4 years and is building a winning team the way his boss, you know - the guy that owns the team and pays for them losing - told him to...
<mod edit>

I'm curious about the bolded though. What exact dead weight was expedited? Is buying out players considered a management skill now? Just wondering. The Souray situation was an embarrassing debacle with Tambo playing top rodeo clown.


Last edited by s7ark: 06-07-2012 at 05:32 PM. Reason: cleanup
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:16 PM
  #211
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings
 
Psycho Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 10,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
<mod edit>

Everybody around here is always *****ing about Tambo, and yes, not every move he made has worked out (Bulin contract, Barker signing) but he shipped out a lot of the dead weight that started the losing tradition we've seen for the last 4 years and is building a winning team the way his boss, you know - the guy that owns the team and pays for them losing - told him to...
Spoken like a true Tambellini apologist. Hook, line and sinker.

No, it's very clear that the dead weight that started this losing tradition are wearing suits, not uniforms, and are augering their way deeper into feces with every year they receive from Mr. Katz. It's not the fault of every player sent out of a town riding backwards on a donkey by influenced media. It's Lowe and Tambellini.


Last edited by s7ark: 06-07-2012 at 05:37 PM. Reason: cleanup
Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:20 PM
  #212
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleed_oil View Post
LOL. An extension for this foolish man.
Wow.
I dont even bother posting anymore cause a good decade or so of complete mediocrity is enough for me.
Call me when this team is relevant again.
Tambo's management skills make even K Lowes management look good. Which is why Tambo is the perfect stooge placeholder that will fall like a domino the moment the team is stocked to the brim with top picks and even a Manager like Lowe can't screw up a playoff spot.

Its like an inexorable soap story plot. You know years in advance whats happening.

Tune in for the next episode. Don't want to miss it..

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:32 PM
  #213
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,261
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHaireDevil View Post
I didn't say that the development style coach held the team back, he was in fact needed to "develop" the kids into NHL players, now that that has happened it is time to change gears towards actually playing to win. (something a Renney coached team had some real problems doing)

No mentions of any parades in my posts. (till this one)

Somewhere a fine arts program is missing its star.
I wonder how Paajarvi feels about his "development". Watching Horcoff and Smyth suck up the bulk of the minutes, while he took the odd spin with Belanger.

He developed a taste for riding the bus in OKC, but that would probably be about it.

You think anyone is buying what you are selling?

Pfffft.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:34 PM
  #214
vespa99
Registered User
 
vespa99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,425
vCash: 500
So tell me all you brilliant armchair GM's.... Which of Hall, Eberle or RNH would you have traded to make the team better right now? Because they are the only truly valuable assets this team has had recently. And when you traded one of them for a stud defenceman how much better would the Oil have done? 10 points? Still miles away from the playoffs. The truth is this team is in a full rebuild and there was little Tambo could do to move that along. And he probably did not have the mandate to speed things up. That does not mean he is a puppet, he is doing the job he was hired for.
That having been said with the drafting of Nail he will actually have a chance to speed things up by trading one of the fab four. If Hemsky bounces back, which I have a feeling he will, that will give the team another asset to move for help on the back end.
If it was me however with all the seats full every year I would take the slow approach that should lead to the best long term success. Draft Nail, use all your other picks on Dmen or large angry forwards and wait for the team to grow and develop together. And really if you look in the minors, juniors, overseas, our defensive prospects that are not playing on the big club are better than the forwards.
And by the way the term on Tambos deal means nothing, he does not count against the cap so who gives a $$$$.

vespa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:42 PM
  #215
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings
 
Psycho Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 10,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa99 View Post
So tell me all you brilliant armchair GM's.... Which of Hall, Eberle or RNH would you have traded to make the team better right now? Because they are the only truly valuable assets this team has had recently. And when you traded one of them for a stud defenceman how much better would the Oil have done? 10 points? Still miles away from the playoffs. The truth is this team is in a full rebuild and there was little Tambo could do to move that along. And he probably did not have the mandate to speed things up. That does not mean he is a puppet, he is doing the job he was hired for.
That having been said with the drafting of Nail he will actually have a chance to speed things up by trading one of the fab four. If Hemsky bounces back, which I have a feeling he will, that will give the team another asset to move for help on the back end.
If it was me however with all the seats full every year I would take the slow approach that should lead to the best long term success. Draft Nail, use all your other picks on Dmen or large angry forwards and wait for the team to grow and develop together. And really if you look in the minors, juniors, overseas, our defensive prospects that are not playing on the big club are better than the forwards.
And by the way the term on Tambos deal means nothing, he does not count against the cap so who gives a $$$$.
The most valuable asset the organization has is money. Tons of it. And it has been mismanaged horrendously, from paying players to play for other teams, to refusing to use cap space to acquire assets, while lining Katz's pockets from perpetual sell-outs. Don't be so easily led.

It's funny, in the late 90's we all imagined how incredible the Oilers could be if the Canadian dollar went to par and the league changed some rules. Fifteen years later and we rival some of the most putrid stretches by franchises in the history of the league. And some of you are proud of this abortion.

This scorched earth policy is NOT the only way for a team to become competitive. It's a method of cheating that takes advantage of the rules of the game and the dedication of fans in order to set up a BUSINESS for both short-term and long-term prosperity, at the cost of any sort of pride or reputation around the league.

Cam ****ing Barker. Jesus Christ.


Last edited by Psycho Dad: 06-06-2012 at 11:50 PM.
Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:50 PM
  #216
CupofOil
Registered User
 
CupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rock Bottom
Country: United States
Posts: 13,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermullet View Post
We have acquired Hall and RNH, and have been just as bad this season as we were the two preceding seasons. Yes, just as bad. If it wasn't for Columbus imploding horrendously and guaranteeing themselves 30th place, we'd have easily found a way to fall to the bottom of the pit again.
Really? I couldn't disagree more. This team was clearly better than the teams of the last 2 seasons, this shouldn't even debated. Besides the eye test in which they looked better, they improved by 12 points in the standings despite AGAIN a bunch of key injuries and the special teams were VASTLY improved, the goal differential was VASTLY improved plus they blew out some pretty good teams and beat a bunch of good teams. The team definitely showed signs of life for the first time in Tambellini's tenure and it should only go up from here.
I don't know how anybody can watch last seasons' team and think that they were just as bad as the previous 2 seasons.

CupofOil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:52 PM
  #217
dobiezeke*
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I wonder how Paajarvi feels about his "development". Watching Horcoff and Smyth suck up the bulk of the minutes, while he took the odd spin with Belanger.

He developed a taste for riding the bus in OKC, but that would probably be about it.

You think anyone is buying what you are selling?

Pfffft.
Paajarvi biggest "development" issue was his inability to display any testicular fortitude...perhaps Tambo should have bounced him on his ass to get his "boys" to drop.

Sending MPV to OKC was brilliant - cattle country...let him see what a bull does with a set of cajones.

dobiezeke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:54 PM
  #218
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings
 
Psycho Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 10,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Really? I couldn't disagree more. This team was clearly better than the teams of the last 2 seasons, this shouldn't even debated. Besides the eye test in which they looked better, they improved by 12 points in the standings despite AGAIN a bunch of key injuries and the special teams were VASTLY improved, the goal differential was VASTLY improved plus they blew out some pretty good teams and beat a bunch of good teams. The team definitely showed signs of life for the first time in Tambellini's tenure and it should only go up from here.
I don't know how anybody can watch last seasons' team and think that they were just as bad as the previous 2 seasons.
Aside from the drafted kids, the rest of the team was easily just as bad. Plenty of anchors for the young tugboats to drag around. But I guess even Atlas made for an entertaining story.

2 more years of Corey Potter.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:55 PM
  #219
DerpMorg
I **3 Maggie
 
DerpMorg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 93
vCash: 500
Is the fact he had 25 pts in 34 games down there lost on most of you? And 11 pts in 14 playoff games?

DerpMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:57 PM
  #220
CupofOil
Registered User
 
CupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rock Bottom
Country: United States
Posts: 13,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermullet View Post
Aside from the drafted kids, the rest of the team was easily just as bad.Plenty of anchors
The veterans were bad. Smid, Petry and Dubnyk all took big steps forward and Schultz was a very solid pickup, the D played a lot better after the Schultz trade so there was more than just the Big 3 aiding the improvement.

CupofOil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:01 AM
  #221
dobiezeke*
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpMorg View Post
Is the fact he had 25 pts in 34 games down there lost on most of you? And 11 pts in 14 playoff games?
If you are referring to Paajarvi, then yes we saw it. Brilliant move by Tambo to send him down to gain some confidence...is that lost on you?

dobiezeke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:02 AM
  #222
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings
 
Psycho Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 10,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpMorg View Post
Is the fact he had 25 pts in 34 games down there lost on most of you? And 11 pts in 14 playoff games?
2 goals in the playoffs, playing on the top line. Still can't score, still can't develop a physical edge. Time to lower your expectations.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:02 AM
  #223
DerpMorg
I **3 Maggie
 
DerpMorg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 93
vCash: 500
Oh man, solid rebuttal. Like something out of junior high.

DerpMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:03 AM
  #224
Perfect_Drug
Registered User
 
Perfect_Drug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,059
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermullet View Post

This scorched earth policy is NOT the only way for a team to become competitive.
Wrong! Wrong! WRONG WRONG Wrong! SO 100% wrong. Did you become a fan of this team in the last 3 years or something?

It's the ONLY way the Edmonton Oilers were going to get good players. Any other team you might use as a comparison does not apply to the Oilers. Edmonton is considered the least favourite UFA destination years before they hit rock bottom in the standing.

With no assets worth trading (as we had to overpay them to hell to even consider coming here), none of our contracts were considered 'value', and even then we had the dregs and leftovers of the UFA crop. Not only could we not sign any players to come here at a huge overpayment, most of our players worth their salt were asking for trades out of here. Philly's turnaround does not apply to us.

Think of what Calgary would look like, without Iginla and Kiprusoff, because that's comparable to what our situation was like.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermullet View Post

It's a method of cheating that takes advantage of the rules of the game and the dedication of fans in order to set up a BUSINESS for both short-term and long-term prosperity, at the cost of any sort of pride or reputation around the league.
Boo f***in' Hoo

I'm sure the Colorado Avalanche, Chicago Blackhawks, and Pittsburgh Penguin feel REALLY bad for tanking for so many years, and winning their cups.

Their reputations sure as hell aren't tarnished.

We already had zero pride or reputation around the league, so we may as well grab the best draft picks out of it. I feel absolutely ZERO remorse over getting these players.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:03 AM
  #225
DerpMorg
I **3 Maggie
 
DerpMorg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 93
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermullet View Post
2 goals in the playoffs, playing on the top line. Still can't score, still can't develop a physical edge. Time to lower your expectations.
Because assists don't mean anything. I'm sorry. I thought we were talking about hockey here.

Not once in his pro career has MPS ever had more goals than assists after a season. He's not a goal scorer. Not a single scouting report said he's a pure goal scorer. Where did this belief, or impression, come from that he's supposed to be this bonafide 40 goal a season player? Is this something you've convinced yourself?

DerpMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.