HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XIII

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-13-2012, 06:22 PM
  #751
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
No, I called Parise to Minnesota when everyone here was fawning over him. NBTW the most, and he said Minnesota was unlikely.
3 things:

1- Please cite where I said that
2- This update doesn't mean Parise is signing in Minnesota
3- Plenty of people have predicted Minnesota as a possible suitor well before you did

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 06:26 PM
  #752
Halpysback
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
hamrlik-orlov as the 2nd pair? now thats a sure sign of things to come. meanwhile $4.2m for three more years is sent to the 3rd pair.

btw...if vancouver had wideman, he would have played as opposed to ballard who didnt.

nbtw....you are right. vancouver isnt going to trade kesler.
In his scenario yes they would be. In real life nothing stops us from bidding on or trading for a solid D and having Alzner/Carlson/Hamrlik/Green/Ballard/Jackman or something which is more than fine.

Wideman would not have been in vancouver's top 4 ahead of Hamhius/Bieksa/Edler/Salo. Vigneault likes his bottom pairing defensemen simple and physical. If Wideman played the same way he had for us in the playoffs Vigneault would have unquestionably benched him in favor of Rome/Alberts/Tanev. And given that Wideman NEEDS big minutes to get in rhythm and be good (much like Ballard) he would have unquestionably been worse than he was here if he was only given 10 minutes a game or so. Ballard at least plays the game as hard as anyone. Wideman has all of Ballard's brain farts and none of the hitting.

Ballard needs a change of scenery (yes, those work and smart GMs take advantages of them) and would be great for this team in the right role.

Halpysback is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 06:30 PM
  #753
Capitlols
Registered User
 
Capitlols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 10,371
vCash: 500
1) I don't think Parise was ever realistic for us.

2) I'd kill for Kesler, but I don't buy the rift between him and Vigneault.

Capitlols is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 06:34 PM
  #754
Carlzner
Who's Zed?
 
Carlzner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 10,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
1) I don't think Parise was ever realistic for us.
NBTW did.

It's what sparked the huge debate about whether or not Washington was an attractive place for big time UFAs.

Carlzner is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 06:35 PM
  #755
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
NBTW did.

It's what sparked the huge debate about whether or not Washington was an attractive place for big time UFAs.
There you go, rewriting history again.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 06:44 PM
  #756
WetHog
Out to Lunch
 
WetHog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Poland
Posts: 8,367
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Parise to the Caps might not be realistic, but the tweet about the Wild opening up their wallet for Parise will affect the FA market, will it not? That was my thought process when I posted the tweet.

WetHog is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 06:52 PM
  #757
Capitlols
Registered User
 
Capitlols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 10,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Parise to the Caps might not be realistic, but the tweet about the Wild opening up their wallet for Parise will affect the FA market, will it not? That was my thought process when I posted the tweet.
Eh, he's expected to get paid. I think a guy like Paranteau will get overpaid and that will have a ripple effect on the market.

Capitlols is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 06:53 PM
  #758
Carlzner
Who's Zed?
 
Carlzner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 10,621
vCash: 500
Parise will get paid and will get to go home.

The Wild will be a playoff contender next year with him and he knows it. The money and location is an added bonus. (A big one though)

Carlzner is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 06:59 PM
  #759
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough
 
SimplySensational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: VA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,587
vCash: 888
Hows it not realistic?

If the Caps offered the same as Minnesota why would he go to Minnesota?

I think going to the SCF and losing makes him want to go to a competitor.

SimplySensational is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 07:18 PM
  #760
Capitlols
Registered User
 
Capitlols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 10,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
Hows it not realistic?

If the Caps offered the same as Minnesota why would he go to Minnesota?

I think going to the SCF and losing makes him want to go to a competitor.
1) Minny has more cap space, they could fit Suter with Parise if they wanted. We would still have to sign Green and Carlson and speaking for myself, as great as Parise is I'm not comfortable committing $17mil+ to two wingers.

2) He's from Minny and has roots there, I believe he has a charity based there as well.

3) Minny isn't far off from the playoffs. They have prospects(Coyle, Granlund, Phillips) not far from the NHL, a high pick, and cap space to work with. Our future is uncertain, questions regarding a coach, personnel, stars being stars again, etc.

Capitlols is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 07:41 PM
  #761
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Overtime
Posts: 4,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
1) Minny has more cap space, they could fit Suter with Parise if they wanted. We would still have to sign Green and Carlson and speaking for myself, as great as Parise is I'm not comfortable committing $17mil+ to two wingers.

2) He's from Minny and has roots there, I believe he has a charity based there as well.

3) Minny isn't far off from the playoffs. They have prospects(Coyle, Granlund, Phillips) not far from the NHL, a high pick, and cap space to work with. Our future is uncertain, questions regarding a coach, personnel, stars being stars again, etc.
Minnesota is way "safer" than DC for him and his lacrosse bros.

Brad Tolliver is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 07:43 PM
  #762
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough
 
SimplySensational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: VA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,587
vCash: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
1) Minny has more cap space, they could fit Suter with Parise if they wanted. We would still have to sign Green and Carlson and speaking for myself, as great as Parise is I'm not comfortable committing $17mil+ to two wingers.

2) He's from Minny and has roots there, I believe he has a charity based there as well.

3) Minny isn't far off from the playoffs. They have prospects(Coyle, Granlund, Phillips) not far from the NHL, a high pick, and cap space to work with. Our future is uncertain, questions regarding a coach, personnel, stars being stars again, etc.
Yep you are right, they aren't far from the playoffs, they were in 1st place in the league in December, then finish 24th. Haven't made it in 4 years.

The Caps have made the playoffs 5 years in a row.

SimplySensational is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 07:46 PM
  #763
Capitlols
Registered User
 
Capitlols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 10,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
Minnesota is way "safer" than DC for him and his lacrosse bros.
Touche.

Capitlols is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 07:47 PM
  #764
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 40,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
In his scenario yes they would be. In real life nothing stops us from bidding on or trading for a solid D and having Alzner/Carlson/Hamrlik/Green/Ballard/Jackman or something which is more than fine.

Wideman would not have been in vancouver's top 4 ahead of Hamhius/Bieksa/Edler/Salo. Vigneault likes his bottom pairing defensemen simple and physical. If Wideman played the same way he had for us in the playoffs Vigneault would have unquestionably benched him in favor of Rome/Alberts/Tanev. And given that Wideman NEEDS big minutes to get in rhythm and be good (much like Ballard) he would have unquestionably been worse than he was here if he was only given 10 minutes a game or so. Ballard at least plays the game as hard as anyone. Wideman has all of Ballard's brain farts and none of the hitting.

Ballard needs a change of scenery (yes, those work and smart GMs take advantages of them) and would be great for this team in the right role.
we will agree to disagree. i just know how often ballard has been a healthy scratch the past two seasons.

you honestly believe that he's a solid top 4 d that will reblossom somewhere else? i'd say that was far from certain.

txpd is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 07:49 PM
  #765
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 40,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
If the Caps offered the same as Minnesota why would he go to Minnesota?.
maybe its because minneapolis is his hometown?

txpd is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 07:51 PM
  #766
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,146
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
Yep you are right, they aren't far from the playoffs, they were in 1st place in the league in December, then finish 24th. Haven't made it in 4 years.

The Caps have made the playoffs 5 years in a row.
Their entire team was injured. They have some great prospects and are trending way up anyway.

Liberati0n* is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 09:18 PM
  #767
realroadrage
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Greg Wyshynski‏@wyshynski

New Puck Daddy: ‘No one is going to outbid the Wild’ on Parise, according to former Minnesota GM Lou Nanne http://yhoo.it/L8SsGj
Tampering?

realroadrage is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 10:11 PM
  #768
tmljeh19
Registered User
 
tmljeh19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 862
vCash: 500
Who are the legit C options in FA? I remember hearing GMGM was high on Grabo but did he re-up in Toronto? What do you think of Backstrom-Grabo-Faska-Beagle C lineup for the future? What about other 2Cs available in FA? Going Faska at 11 and the best D Man left at 16 is my hopes. I think we need to take advantage of the quality on D in the first.

tmljeh19 is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 10:14 PM
  #769
ChibiPooky
Moderator
Caps/Avs/Bills fan
 
ChibiPooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,217
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmljeh19 View Post
Who are the legit C options in FA? I remember hearing GMGM was high on Grabo but did he re-up in Toronto? What do you think of Backstrom-Grabo-Faska-Beagle C lineup for the future? What about other 2Cs available in FA? Going Faska at 11 and the best D Man left at 16 is my hopes. I think we need to take advantage of the quality on D in the first.
Grabovski extended in Toronto.

ChibiPooky is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 10:16 PM
  #770
Cappy76
Registered User
 
Cappy76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: London, Kentucky
Country: United States
Posts: 1,911
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cappy76 Send a message via MSN to Cappy76
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmljeh19 View Post
Who are the legit C options in FA? I remember hearing GMGM was high on Grabo but did he re-up in Toronto? What do you think of Backstrom-Grabo-Faska-Beagle C lineup for the future? What about other 2Cs available in FA? Going Faska at 11 and the best D Man left at 16 is my hopes. I think we need to take advantage of the quality on D in the first.
Grabovski re-upped in TO for 5.5

Cappy76 is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 11:00 PM
  #771
Carlzner
Who's Zed?
 
Carlzner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 10,621
vCash: 500
I'd rather Semin at 9 than Grabo at 5.5, lol.

Carlzner is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 11:31 PM
  #772
G3 LesPaul
Registered User
 
G3 LesPaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
I'd rather Semin at 9 than Grabo at 5.5, lol.
Wat?

G3 LesPaul is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 12:31 AM
  #773
Cush
-inator
 
Cush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 9,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
I'd rather Semin at 9 than Grabo at 5.5, lol.

Cush is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 12:33 AM
  #774
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
I'd rather Semin at 9 than Grabo at 5.5, lol.
Shocker...

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 01:10 AM
  #775
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough
 
SimplySensational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: VA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,587
vCash: 888


I came across the Orr crosschecking Ovechkin the face incident then was looking at HFBoards, and seeing how Rags fans were saying it was fair because Ovechkin caught several of their players with their heads down.

SimplySensational is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.