HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XIII

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2012, 11:29 AM
bonzilla

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
Apparently we arent missing much
Keeping the powder dry. Don't know. Don't know at this point. Can't discuss it at this point. Thanks to Dale. Thorough search?-yes we are being thorough. Thanks.

Old
06-14-2012, 11:30 AM
txpd

btw....anyone want to guess what scott hannan gets on the open market this time around?

Old
06-14-2012, 11:35 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Hannan only 33 years I will say 1.5M x 2

Old
06-14-2012, 11:37 AM
bonzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Hannan only 33 years I will say 1.5M x 2
He's getting 4.5 now..yikes!

He could get Vokouned if he holds out for too much - then you may be right!

guessing-1yr@ 2.9

Old
06-14-2012, 11:40 AM
sk84fun_dc

"#Caps GMGM says they are qualifying all their restricted free agents" source: Sky Kerstein ‏@SkyKerstein (and others)

Anyway, so 7 RFAs should expect QOs, minimum QO required shown; arb. eligible my own determination based on understanding of the rules.

7 RFAs: 4 Forwards &3 Defensemen

RFA Player|Pos.|’11-12 Base Salary for QO Purposes|Min. Qualifying Offer|Notes

Jay Beagle|C/W|$525,000|$577,500|10% QO; arb. eligible

John Carlson|D|$787,500|$826,875|5% QO

Mike Green|D|$5,000,000|$5,000,000|arb. eligible

Zach Hamill|C|$787,500|$826,875|5% QO; arb. eligible

Mathieu Perreault|C|$525,000|$577,500|10% QO; arb. eligible

plus:
Mike Carman|C|$610,000|$671,000|10% QO; arb. eligible
Kevin Marshall|D|$650,000|$715,000|10% QO

Old
06-14-2012, 11:45 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
the difference between the vast majority of players with no playoff experience and this player is that MOST players with no playoff experience are not coming is as a potential cup contender's #1 cap hit on defense. bouwmeester makes chris pronger money and the difference there is striking.

this is not matt hendricks we are talking about. this is not last season's alzner or carlson or johansson. this is a player with 9 nhl seasons and 717 nhl games experience of which the last three years have been a collosal failure.

this isnt one bad season. its three. its not because of injury as he has played all the games.
Fair enough. But you are looking at more than his lack of playoff experience. Cap hit, and that is fine. And I don't dispute cap hits are factors in a GM's day.

My point was about PE and PE alone. Many a good player have been stuck on crappy teams. If he is not a good player, it should be obvious; he is a near root cause of his teams never making the playoffs.

I don't believe Green's lack of scoring has been caused by injuries. Lets argue that one next.

Old
06-14-2012, 11:46 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzilla View Post
He's getting 4.5 now..yikes!

He could get Vokouned if he holds out for too much - then you may be right!

guessing-1yr@ 2.9
I show 1M from last year.

http://capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=568

Old
06-14-2012, 11:49 AM
bonzilla

Quote:
heh..Thanks RH, I was looking at the wrong year. Back to my knitting

Old
06-14-2012, 12:00 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Sky Kerstein ‏@SkyKerstein

#Caps GMGM says there have been no decisions on Wideman and Semin

Old
06-14-2012, 12:00 PM
txpd

Quote:
Fair enough. But you are looking at more than his lack of playoff experience. Cap hit, and that is fine. And I don't dispute cap hits are factors in a GM's day.

My point was about PE and PE alone. Many a good player have been stuck on crappy teams. If he is not a good player, it should be obvious; he is a near root cause of his teams never making the playoffs.

I don't believe Green's lack of scoring has been caused by injuries. Lets argue that one next.
he's a good player that you would think would be the sharp end of the spear toward getting his team in the playoffs. it didnt happen in florida and maybe that was because the task was too great.

in calgary had he performed anywhere near career norms you would think he would have had a more positive impact. instead he was the lead underperformer.

same with keith ballard except vancouver was didnt have to rely on him and moved on without him for all intents and purposes.

where bouwmeester to be at half his salary and for a 3-4 rather than the highest paid d it would be different. right now its at least even money that carlson picks up those minutes and is better than bouwmeester.

Old
06-14-2012, 12:03 PM
txpd

Quote:
good quick work there rh. iirc there was a busy discussion here after hannan signed
is low dollar, short term calgary deal that it was just poor playing of the ufa market that left him without a strong dollar/multi year deal.

calgary hasnt extended him.

Old
06-14-2012, 12:07 PM
G3 LesPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Decisions, they can still be deciding and with our luck, they will resign both

Old
06-14-2012, 12:18 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
* we have no evidence on his playoff play and that is what makes spending that much money and committing that role to that player an unacceptable risk.
I disagree entirely. Injury history would be a risk. Proven lack of playoff performance would be a risk. Lack of evidence isn't a risk. What I see is you being paralyzed by fear.

Quote:
* what evidence that we do have is his regular season play. he flourished on a team that had no pressure and no chance at the playoffs. he has collapsed under the pressure of expectations in calgary. the evidence on the table on how he performs under pressure isnt good. see keith ballard as another example of this.
Calgary fans seem to be of a different opinion than you. They say he's solid defensively, can handle #1 minutes, and is a great skater. The concern is that he is not performing to his contract offensively. I'd be interested to get more insight into why, but regardless, he wouldn't be coming here to singlehandedly drive the offense. The Caps have plenty of offensive talent. He'd be coming here to unleash Mike Green.

Quote:
* You think that Suter is less than $1m better than Bouwmeester?
I never said that. What I said was that the difference between Bouwmeester's salary and Suter's projected salary could make the difference in being able to make a competitive offer to other free agents. I specifically named Parise and Semin. Nowhere did I even start to compare the two.

Quote:
* Not having a good option available doesnt mean that making a collosal mistake is a good move. I'd prefer to give the minutes to Carlson and Orlov than Bouwmeester.
Why are we just assuming that Bouwmeester is a colossal mistake? You throw that out as if it's a given and make no argument to support it.

You would rather give Bouwmeester's ice to Carlson or Orlov? How about Hamrlik or Schultz? Because that's who'd be getting it.

Old
06-14-2012, 12:23 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

BTW, what team has ever made the playoffs on the back of a defenseman as the primary contributor? Boston with Bourque? Bouwmeester for sure is no Bourque.

A defenseman can cause you to miss the playoffs, but only the all-time greats can carry a bad team to the playoffs. Bouwmeester wouldn't have to carry the Caps. He wouldn't be dealing with that pressure.

Old
06-14-2012, 12:27 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Haha, didn't Semin already make the decision for him?

Anyways, in regards to sk8's post... They're giving QO's to their RFAs but is that it? I was hoping for a mid to long term contract for JC74. (I could be totally wrong, but i'm not 100% sure on the process)

Old
06-14-2012, 12:30 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Carter was one of the worst big name playoff performers in the league prior to this year IIRC. And lets not forget Kovalchoke.

Laich for Bouwmeester makes too much sense so it won't happen.

Down the road Bouwmeester and Orlov would be a serious pairing.
Yeah... for a team that needs Centers it makes so much sense to trade Laich for ****ing Bouwmeester.

NO to Bouwmeester. Stay Away GMGM. Luckily it's just Eklund.

Old
06-14-2012, 12:32 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post

Anyways, in regards to sk8's post... They're giving QO's to their RFAs but is that it? I was hoping for a mid to long term contract for JC74. (I could be totally wrong, but i'm not 100% sure on the process)
That's a formality. Carlson won't accept that offer. It just means they retain his rights until they do settle on terms.

Old
06-14-2012, 12:32 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post

Carlson will get more than his QO, but he has to be qualified for the Caps to avoid losing his rights and RFA status on July 1.

Old
06-14-2012, 12:33 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
BTW, what team has ever made the playoffs on the back of a defenseman as the primary contributor? Boston with Bourque? Bouwmeester for sure is no Bourque.

A defenseman can cause you to miss the playoffs, but only the all-time greats can carry a bad team to the playoffs. Bouwmeester wouldn't have to carry the Caps. He wouldn't be dealing with that pressure.
You know Iginla is in Calgary, correct? JayBo isn't their "primary contributor."

Old
06-14-2012, 12:35 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
That's a formality. Carlson won't accept that offer. It just means they retain his rights until they do settle on terms.
Honestly I think it's as much about keeping him restricted as retaining his rights. That gives McPhee leverage in the next contract as well. If not qualified, he'd lose that RFA status July 1, even if he signed afterward.

Old
06-14-2012, 12:36 PM
Capitlols

Honestly if Bouwmeester could be had for insignificant pieces(i.e. Schultz + Ward), I'd have zero problems with it.

Old
06-14-2012, 12:39 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
You know Iginla is in Calgary, correct? JayBo isn't their "primary contributor."
Two good players are totally enough to get you to the playoffs.

60-goal Stamkos couldn't drag Tampa Bay to the playoffs, and he had help from two stars with Cup rings in St. Louis and Lecavalier. But yeah, let's keep those expectations real.

Old
06-14-2012, 12:39 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Honestly I think it's as much about keeping him restricted as retaining his rights. That gives McPhee leverage in the next contract as well. If not qualified, he'd lose that RFA status July 1, even if he signed afterward.
Not trying to be a dick, but what are you talking about? Obviously they don't want him to become a UFA.... "Losing RFA status" and the Capitals losing his rights is the same thing. That they retain his rights is what makes him "restricted."

Old
06-14-2012, 12:43 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Two good players are totally enough to get you to the playoffs.

60-goal Stamkos couldn't drag Tampa Bay to the playoffs, and he had help from two stars with Cup rings in St. Louis and Lecavalier. But yeah, let's keep those expectations real.
I'm not saying Calgary is a playoff team (they clearly aren't). But you're acting as if Bouwmeester was there alone, or even their MVP. He's not. At best, he's their third or fourth most important player. Clearly behind Iginla and Kipper, and arguably behind Giordano.

But the point isn't that he missed it one year or another. It's that he's missed it every year.

Old
06-14-2012, 12:46 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Not trying to be a dick, but what are you talking about? Obviously they don't want him to become a UFA.... "Losing RFA status" and the Capitals losing his rights is the same thing. That they retain his rights is what makes him "restricted."
The Penguins didn't qualify Tyler Kennedy last year and went on to sign him after July 1. They still own his rights, but he's no longer an RFA. It's not the same situation as I believe he would be UFA by the end of his contract anyway. Carlson, however, wouldn't be, so while the Caps would retain his negotiating rights, they would lose leverage on his next deal (and any potential trade negotiations).

Someone with CBA knowledge correct me if I'm wrong please.

Closed Thread