HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XIII

Closed Thread

Old
06-07-2012, 04:46 PM
Mothra

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Man LA is certainly floundering with all the headcases they got on their team.
strength down the middle > most things

Old
06-07-2012, 04:53 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
strength down the middle > most things
Their strength down the middle was the same when they were floundering in the first half. Only Richards was playing with King and Nolan instead of Carter and Penner.

Jersey's managed pretty well without particularly great center depth. Better than a ton of other strong down the middle teams in these playoffs. Theirs isn't bad by any stretch but they don't have a single 1C. Backstrom-Johansson > Zajac-Henrique if Johansson gets his head out of his ass. Not that I'm saying we shouldn't seek an upgrade over Johansson for 2C.

depth and lines that work > most things. It's just that those lines are easiest to build when you have great centers. But that's not the only ingredient. And getting Radulov if his price is a 2nd or so should not be a serious impediment to getting a good 2C if we are in the hunt for one.

Last edited by Halpysback: 06-07-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old
06-07-2012, 04:55 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post

It was an accident, it wasn't even an HC or AC, it was the goalie coach.
Who cares, it's way more fun to take random things out of context and use that to form opinions. At least judging by this board.

Old
06-07-2012, 05:00 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post

It was an accident, it wasn't even an HC or AC, it was the goalie coach.
Now i get it...!

We get Radulov to "smack" some sense into Dave Prior because Neuvirth is such a ****** goalie...

Old
06-07-2012, 05:18 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Radulov wants the puck on his stick to be the playmaker, that isn't going work well on a line with Backstrom and Ovechkin. The Caps need to be adding players that know what to do away from the puck.

The Kings sucked in the 1st half because Murray was way too conservative with the team they had. The Doughty holdout hurt them too.

New Jersey has Zajac-Elias-Henrique down the middle. Those three aren't great or as good as Backstrom but the three of them can give you 45-50 minutes down the middle per 60 minutes. Backstrom at most will give you 25.

Old
06-07-2012, 06:15 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Avs on an extension frenzy. Jones, McLeod, Hunwick all getting extensions in the past couple days. Next couple days might be a big hint on whether or not McClement is going to hit the open market.

Would love to go after McClement to replace Halpern.

Old
06-07-2012, 07:31 PM
Brave Sir Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
Radulov wants the puck on his stick to be the playmaker, that isn't going work well on a line with Backstrom and Ovechkin. The Caps need to be adding players that know what to do away from the puck.

The Kings sucked in the 1st half because Murray was way too conservative with the team they had. The Doughty holdout hurt them too.

New Jersey has Zajac-Elias-Henrique down the middle. Those three aren't great or as good as Backstrom but the three of them can give you 45-50 minutes down the middle per 60 minutes. Backstrom at most will give you 25.
Your're basically saying that too much skill on the top line is a bad idea, which I don't agree with at all. Ovi played alongside Datsyuk and Semin in the Worlds, and it did looks like either player minded the others holding the puck. Of course I'd prefer a 2C to Radulov, but if the latter can be had cheaply and signed to a reasonable contract, he'd be a solid pickup, no matter how things turn out with Semin.

Also, regarding NJ, don't forget about Zubrus. He's a solid 3C. Laich is overall a better player than Zubrus, but I prefer Zubrus at center.

Old
06-07-2012, 07:52 PM
Semin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Avs on an extension frenzy. Jones, McLeod, Hunwick all getting extensions in the past couple days. Next couple days might be a big hint on whether or not McClement is going to hit the open market.

Would love to go after McClement to replace Halpern.
McClement would be a good addition to the PK and stabilize the 4th line. About 51% I believe on the draw this year as well.

Old
06-07-2012, 08:00 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robin View Post
Your're basically saying that too much skill on the top line is a bad idea, which I don't agree with at all. Ovi played alongside Datsyuk and Semin in the Worlds, and it did looks like either player minded the others holding the puck. Of course I'd prefer a 2C to Radulov, but if the latter can be had cheaply and signed to a reasonable contract, he'd be a solid pickup, no matter how things turn out with Semin.

Also, regarding NJ, don't forget about Zubrus. He's a solid 3C. Laich is overall a better player than Zubrus, but I prefer Zubrus at center.
WRT "puck-hog" question, I agree with you, but there's another issue for our top line. While Datsyuk is one of the league's premier defensive forwards as well as a great playmaker and I maintain that Semin is better away from the puck than he gets credit for, Backstrom's good defensively, but not, I think good enough to compensate for both Ovechkin and Radulov. Someone has to know what to do without the puck.

Old
06-07-2012, 08:24 PM
Halpysback

Kozlov also wanted the puck on his stick and was often the guy entering the zone and Ovechkin and Backstrom did fine with it. I think Radulov is a bit overstated as a puckhog. Having a guy who can enter the zone and make passes to Ovechkin might be beneficial now that the league has figured out to do when Ovechkin is the one with the puck. Ovechkin-Backstrom-stonehands guy who knows what to do without the puck has sucked as a unit for the last 2 years. Would be nice to see Ovechkin be the one set up for a nice one timer on the rush for a chance.

Also I doubt Ovechkin-Backstrom-Radulov would get consistently burned defensively. First of all, Ovechkin and Radulov play at least some defense even if its nowhere near elite, and second of all our top line wasn't burned defensively with the run and gun team simply because they dominated the play. Same should be the case here. Even if they do occasionally the good will far outweight the bad.

I'm not saying he replaces a center, but unless that centers is Crosby just getting a good center and having Laich/Johansson/Brouwer fill in as top 6 wingers will get us precisely nowhere.

Old
06-07-2012, 08:33 PM
Brave Sir Robin

Either way, this team needs skill in the top 6. If we can't get a proper 2C, another skilled winger could not hurt. This year our team was loaded with defensively responsible players in a low risk defensive system. What's the result? We had an extremely hard time scoring, yet still had trouble maintaining our slim leads.

Old
06-08-2012, 01:41 AM
kmart

Send a message via MSN to kmart
reason i do not want radulov - i hate him
reason i do want raduloov - hf boards hates him (the perfect semin replacment)

seriusly, whats about andrei kostitsyn ? he would be a nice top 6 signing

Old
06-08-2012, 03:36 AM
Atlas

We are desperate for a 2C and a 3C.

Wingers grow on trees. But we're actually thin at wing, too. Vech and Brouwer are fixtures at wing. Who else? Kuz eventually. Ward? Mojo?Laich? God this team is a mess!

Dump Laich and Ward and fill one position (2C?) effectively w/ that money.

I like Mojo but I still don't know what his position is. 3rd line winger? His O is very erratic. I'd trade him in the right deal.

Knuble and Semin are gone.

Carlson, Alzner, Orlov are all keepers. I'd give Green until Christmas to show he is a true #1. Actually, I'd trade him too if I could get good value back. A top 3 pick for Greenie? CBJ?

Holtby is the #1. Punt Neuvy.

The team is a mangled wreck. The Caps need 4 or 5 major additions/subtractions to get their ship in shape.

Old
06-08-2012, 04:30 AM
MW6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
We are desperate for a 2C and a 3C.

Wingers grow on trees. But we're actually thin at wing, too. Vech and Brouwer are fixtures at wing. Who else? Kuz eventually. Ward? Mojo?Laich? God this team is a mess!

Dump Laich and Ward and fill one position (2C?) effectively w/ that money.

I like Mojo but I still don't know what his position is. 3rd line winger? His O is very erratic. I'd trade him in the right deal.

Knuble and Semin are gone.

Carlson, Alzner, Orlov are all keepers. I'd give Green until Christmas to show he is a true #1. Actually, I'd trade him too if I could get good value back. A top 3 pick for Greenie? CBJ?

The team is a mangled wreck. The Caps need 4 or 5 major additions/subtractions to get their ship in shape.
I agree with a lot of stuff you wrote, we need a 2C and a 3C.

I'd be ok with Laich as a top-6 winger, Brouwer IMO should play on the third line with Chimera.

With the speculated rise of the Cap I don't think they need to trade Laich for capspace, Ward on the other hand..

I'd trade Mojo + one of our first rounders in a heartbeat for an upgrade at 2C (Plekanec, Pavelski?)

I'd try and re-sign Semin, he and Laich had some chemistry earlier on, they jut never had a good C in between them.

I think GMGM should try to get permission to discuss a contract with Radulov and offer NSH a 2nd/3rd pick for him.

I would keep Green if there was a good partner for him out there to be had, otherwise I would try and bring back a good 3C, a younger D ready for top-4 duty with upside and maybe a pick. I recently suggested this trade with the Wild. Green + Ward + 4th for Brodziak + Scandella + Powe and our 2nd back.

Tor is really deep on their back end, so maybe Cody Franson could be had for a pick and/or the rights to Pererault?

Then we're looking at
Ovechkin-Backstrom-Radulov (26)-(24)-(25)
Laich-(Pavs/Plekc)-Semin (28)-(27/29)-(28)
Chimera-Brodziak-Brouwer (33)-(28)-(26)
Hendricks-Beagle-Powe (30)-(26)-(26)

Alzner-Carlson (23)-(22)
Scandella-Orlov (22)-(20)
Hamrlik-Franson (38)-(24)

It's a really young D-core, so it's not perfect. But atleast Schultz and Wideman isn't in there

Old
06-08-2012, 05:10 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

I hate Radulov (that's the KHL thing).
But I think he could be a fit on the 2nd line.
And Radulov/Semin comparisons are unfair. Rads plays with an edge, he's a true power forward who keeps the opposition D feel uncomfortable.
Ovechkin - Backstrom - Brouwer
Chimera - 2nd line C - Radulov
Laich - 3rd line C (Gaustad, Pahlsson, etc.) - Ward
Hendricks - Beagle - X
Eakin, Sjogren

Old
06-08-2012, 06:06 AM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Their strength down the middle was the same when they were floundering in the first half. Only Richards was playing with King and Nolan instead of Carter and Penner.

Jersey's managed pretty well without particularly great center depth. Better than a ton of other strong down the middle teams in these playoffs. Theirs isn't bad by any stretch but they don't have a single 1C. Backstrom-Johansson > Zajac-Henrique if Johansson gets his head out of his ass. Not that I'm saying we shouldn't seek an upgrade over Johansson for 2C.

depth and lines that work > most things. It's just that those lines are easiest to build when you have great centers. But that's not the only ingredient. And getting Radulov if his price is a 2nd or so should not be a serious impediment to getting a good 2C if we are in the hunt for one.
I dont think its too odd that it took them a little time (and a coaching change) to figure it out after a big off season trade.....my main point was this was a team that had a legit top center....then traded for another in Richards (and then Carter....who I am not the biggest fan of but he is still a good player)

Find me Cup winning teams that werent at the very least strong at center (meaning multiple strong centers). I like MJ a lot, but he isnt there yet. Caps have 1 center.....one, thats really it. People can talk about them getting whatever they want, if that is the case next spring the caps dont win a Cup again

Old
06-08-2012, 09:03 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
As we suspected, Halpern won't be back. Shame, but he got Beagled.

Old
06-08-2012, 09:14 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

For as much as people thought Knuble was treated poorly, Halpern was treated worse.

Disgraceful what they did to a former captain, and the only hometown player in the NHL.

Old
06-08-2012, 09:17 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
For as much as people thought Knuble was treated poorly, Halpern was treated worse.

Disgraceful what they did to a former captain, and the only hometown player in the NHL.
Yeah I was pretty shocked. It's not like he played his way out of the lineup.

Old
06-08-2012, 09:17 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Yep, and Halpern was a miserable ******* in the team press box because of it. Not sure who made the call to have Aucoin over him in the lineup.....Hunter or McPhee....Hunter or McPhee....

Old
06-08-2012, 09:18 AM
G3 LesPaul

You know, I never understood the "mistreatment" arguement

Yes I loved Knuble and Halpern too. But, they got scratched for a reason.

Hunter felt like it didnt fit with his system or he never liked what he saw from them.

Not like he did it for fun

Old
06-08-2012, 09:22 AM
Millhaus

Quote:

I don't know. What is more disgraceful not giving a Halpern a jersey or playing Ovechkin 13 minutes?

Old
06-08-2012, 09:23 AM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Wow... So much to say, but I'll just say wow.

Old
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:

Hunter clearly resents other Caps captains. Halpern to the pressbox, Ovi to the doghouse! There can be only one!

Old
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
You know, I never understood the "mistreatment" arguement

Yes I loved Knuble and Halpern too. But, they got scratched for a reason.

Hunter felt like it didnt fit with his system or he never liked what he saw from them.

Not like he did it for fun
Actually we don't know that. Could very well have been McPhee pulling the strings.

I guess they liked watching Aucoin getting blown off the puck repeatedly by a stiff breeze....

Closed Thread