HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XIII

Closed Thread

Old
06-08-2012, 03:48 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Having someone who doesn't understand statistics (in particular when not to use statistics) use statistics is like having a baby use a hand grenade. I hope to god they're not trying to moneyball their coach search because we're gonna end up with Ron Wilson since it's clear as day not one **** in the entire organization knows anything beyond basic arithmetic. This has Ted stench all over it.
Hey brah, us lacrosse bros are right with you. If the stat sheet says Marcus Johansson is a center, you shove him in at center with a couple of stat sheet fillers and it's guaranteed to work.

Those opposing NHL players that proving that doesn't work are just a bunch of haters, Hunter should have never paid any attention to them.

Old
06-08-2012, 03:51 PM
Atlas

Dale got as much out of this team as could be. That defensive style + a good PP + a great goalie wins Cups.

The crap PP is a personnel problem. And playing without a 2C or 3C makes even strength offense impossible. Also a personnel problem.

Old
06-08-2012, 04:48 PM
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin

vCash: 2743
good stuff atlas. Adding on that though, our D has regressed. Mobile puck movers hasn't worked. We can blame Wideman, but its G's D. They need the forwards back.

The D McPhee built has issues. Green once a Norris candidate is a different player now. Sarge was scratched for much of the recent past. That was our top pairing in our pres hayday. I do not expect either to play as well any time soon. Green still cant even take a hit, and Sarge is as immobile as ever. 2774 are young and up and coming and show promise, as does Orlov. But that's it - the cupboard is bare, and they aren't ready to lead us to a cup. Hammer is gone by years end. Erskine can barely get a sweater yet was one of our better playoff guys over the years.

Does offense start on the backend? It used to via Green and BB IMO. We have no breakout and it kills this team. Its most noticable on the PP, its embarrassing. On full display in the 3rd game 7 vs the Rags. Green may be as important to the team as Ovi.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 06-08-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old
06-08-2012, 05:38 PM
Mothra
The Groovy Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Dale got as much out of this team as could be. That defensive style + a good PP + a great goalie wins Cups.

The crap PP is a personnel problem. And playing without a 2C or 3C makes even strength offense impossible. Also a personnel problem.
I just cant understand why some cant see that as clearly the biggest need....

Old
06-08-2012, 05:39 PM
MiKE5889

I think the Caps have several areas that needs improvement.

Might as well start with Semin. This guy has all the tools to be a PPG player. However unlike his countryman Ovi, he has not been given a chance of playing consistent hockey with a really skilled centerman a la Backstrom, except for the Caps break-out 2009-2010 season, where he got to play with Fedorov, a season in which he btw was a PPG+ player. It's quite obvious that Semin's problem is the lack of a good center playmaker. However since it sounds like he might not be back, I guess we will never be able to test that theory out.

Another issue is our defensive top 4. While I liked the Green and Hammer pairing, I think that Hammer is too slow of a skater these days to be paired with Green if we are to get the offensive production out of Green, which we all want. I think both Hammer and Green would perform better if Green were given a fast skating d-man with good playmaking ability, while Hammer would do a lot better on the third pairing with say Orlov or Erskine.

While I really liked Sarge during the 2009-2010 campaign, I feel that the Caps need to move on. At this point Sarge cap hit has become a burden to the Caps cap flexibility. Nearly 3 million in cap hit for a depth defenseman is way too much. Question is if there would be any takers for him, if GMGM was to attempt to ship him out.

One other factor playing in is the Caps overall center depth. As many here has stated we could really use a #3C as well. The thought of Backstrom getting injured again scares the living crap out of me. With Backstrom down, we literally have no offensive depth on center at all. Just compare this to the LA Kings in the cup final having a trio of Kopitar, Richards and Carter at the center position. GMGM needs to solidify this position in this off-season.

Old
06-08-2012, 05:39 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
I just cant understand why some cant see that as clearly the biggest need....
Who can't?

Old
06-08-2012, 05:56 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Who can't?
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...=#post49990641

Hey brah, why aren't you taking us lacrosse bros seriously? We read stat sheets better than you can.

Old
06-08-2012, 06:01 PM
Brave Sir Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiKE5889 View Post
I think the Caps have several areas that needs improvement.

Might as well start with Semin. This guy has all the tools to be a PPG player. However unlike his countryman Ovi, he has not been given a chance of playing consistent hockey with a really skilled centerman a la Backstrom, except for the Caps break-out 2009-2010 season, where he got to play with Fedorov, a season in which he btw was a PPG+ player. It's quite obvious that Semin's problem is the lack of a good center playmaker. However since it sounds like he might not be back, I guess we will never be able to test that theory out.

Another issue is our defensive top 4. While I liked the Green and Hammer pairing, I think that Hammer is too slow of a skater these days to be paired with Green if we are to get the offensive production out of Green, which we all want. I think both Hammer and Green would perform better if Green were given a fast skating d-man with good playmaking ability, while Hammer would do a lot better on the third pairing with say Orlov or Erskine.

While I really liked Sarge during the 2009-2010 campaign, I feel that the Caps need to move on. At this point Sarge cap hit has become a burden to the Caps cap flexibility. Nearly 3 million in cap hit for a depth defenseman is way too much. Question is if there would be any takers for him, if GMGM was to attempt to ship him out.

One other factor playing in is the Caps overall center depth. As many here has stated we could really use a #3C as well. The thought of Backstrom getting injured again scares the living crap out of me. With Backstrom down, we literally have no offensive depth on center at all. Just compare this to the LA Kings in the cup final having a trio of Kopitar, Richards and Carter at the center position. GMGM needs to solidify this position in this off-season.
Hammer is a bit too slow, and he can't take the minutes Green should be playing. Green does not need a fast skating dman with a good playmaking ability as his partner. Green himself is supposed to be that exact player. Instead, Green's partner should be a solid, physical, stay at home, shutdown dman, a guy who will have his back if Green overcommitts offensively. If we somehow manage to acquire a player like that, Hamrlik - Orlov would then be a great 3rd pairing.

Old
06-08-2012, 06:24 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Who can't?

Ted Leonsis and George McPhee to name two.

Old
06-08-2012, 06:32 PM
Atlas

Thanks, Randy H. Yeah, the Caps have looked awful since the Habs debacle. I do know they are relying on Backstrom too much at C. He was gassed at the end of that series and generally less effective since. 2C and 3C are clear needs.

Thin at wing. D is good but not great. Holtby looks good and he better be.

But every atom in the universe points toward Ted and George getting it wrong.

Old
06-08-2012, 06:34 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...=#post49990641

Hey brah, why aren't you taking us lacrosse bros seriously? We read stat sheets better than you can.
Are you an intentional idiot?

The idea around here is to try and get lucky and steal another teams 1st center because every team is looking to give it up, or try and steal their 2nd center because every team is looking to give those up.

I have a hard time believing something like Radulov-MoJo-(Semin or AK) is such a bad idea.

People around here to seem to think we need a 50 point center from last year when we have a 46 point 21 year old center already playing.

BTW Hamrlik isn't slow, old=/= slow. CreePierre kept saying he was slow and Seguin should take advantage of him, never happened, in fact he tried it several times and Hamrlik either was able to keep up with him or Hamrlik took the smartest path and forced him to the outside.

Old
06-08-2012, 07:13 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post

The idea around here is to try and get lucky and steal another teams 1st center because every team is looking to give it up, or try and steal their 2nd center because every team is looking to give those up.

I have a hard time believing something like Radulov-MoJo-(Semin or AK) is such a bad idea.

People around here to seem to think we need a 50 point center from last year when we have a 46 point 21 year old center already playing.

BTW Hamrlik isn't slow, old=/= slow. CreePierre kept saying he was slow and Seguin should take advantage of him, never happened, in fact he tried it several times and Hamrlik either was able to keep up with him or Hamrlik took the smartest path and forced him to the outside.
Hey brah, I am 121% with ya.

I don't care if the haters keep saying Johansson was putting up points as a winger, the stat sheets has him as a center and that's more important. It's how us lacrosse bros roll.

Old
06-08-2012, 07:16 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Hey brah, I am 121% with ya.

I don't care if the haters keep saying Johansson was putting up points as a winger, the stat sheets has him as a center and that's more important. It's how us lacrosse bros roll.
He wasn't a winger for any prolonged period.

Old
06-08-2012, 07:16 PM
Mothra
The Groovy Guru

Quote:

I like MJ and I can see him being that type of player in a couple years....I'd be very hard pressed to move him so Im not suggesting that...

The Caps need 2 centers (not counting 19) better than him if they expect to compete for a cup....certainly 1

Teams that win cups are, almost to a rule, stacked at center.....there is a reason

Old
06-08-2012, 07:42 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
He wasn't a winger for any prolonged period.
Hey brah, keep up the good work preaching to the haters. I don't care if they say Johansson took fewer faceoffs per game this year with increased ice time vs last year, the stat sheets say he is a center.

Old
06-08-2012, 07:50 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Hey brah, keep up the good work preaching to the haters. I don't care if they say Johansson took fewer faceoffs per game this year with increased ice time vs last year, the stat sheets say he is a center.
Yeah my bad. Steve Ott is also a center too.

Laich was taking face offs and playing the lower down role when it was Ovi-Laich-MoJo. MoJo on the other hand would carrying the puck more then Laich into the zone including Laich never doing it on the PP like MoJo.

I'd say as far as play making goes that line was going like:

Ovechkin > MoJo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Laich.

If MoJo will likely do on ice training with Backstrom in which Backstrom will probably help with the center role if we got real coach of course.

Old
06-08-2012, 07:51 PM
Semin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
I like MJ and I can see him being that type of player in a couple years....I'd be very hard pressed to move him so Im not suggesting that...

The Caps need 2 centers (not counting 19) better than him if they expect to compete for a cup....certainly 1

Teams that win cups are, almost to a rule, stacked at center.....there is a reason
This is why I want Faksa and Gaunce in the draft. 2 big centers, Mojo can play wing or C. so he can fit anywhere in the line up.

But at the same time I'm getting impatient as a fan waiting for the Caps to win the cup I don't care at times if they win and pulled a chicago and got rid of a ton of players. Why is sports so frustrating?

Old
06-08-2012, 08:09 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

I really don't think Marcus Johansson is going to be a center in this league when all is said and done. When I think of potential lineups next season, I certainly don't have him there.

Old
06-08-2012, 08:32 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I really don't think Marcus Johansson is going to be a center in this league when all is said and done. When I think of potential lineups next season, I certainly don't have him there.
Who's a center over him? The only reason I hate MoJo as a center is hes terrible at face offs.

Or is this the stupid idea of putting him with Backstrom and Ovi with some dumb scrub for mythological depth scoring.

Old
06-08-2012, 10:38 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

I don't buy Faksa, Gaunce, Girgensons, etc. as any better bets at being a top 6 center than Johansson. I called for Johansson to be given a shot at wing for a long time, but I also don't think he's completely limited to being a winger.

Old
06-08-2012, 11:21 PM
Langway
Death/Taxes/Choking

vCash: 50
Quote:
Yeah my bad. Steve Ott is also a center too.

Laich was taking face offs and playing the lower down role when it was Ovi-Laich-MoJo. MoJo on the other hand would carrying the puck more then Laich into the zone including Laich never doing it on the PP like MoJo.

I'd say as far as play making goes that line was going like:

Ovechkin > MoJo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Laich.
You've just made a compelling case for Ales Hemsky as "2C."

Old
06-08-2012, 11:42 PM
Brave Sir Robin

Quote:
Who's a center over him? The only reason I hate MoJo as a center is hes terrible at face offs.

Or is this the stupid idea of putting him with Backstrom and Ovi with some dumb scrub for mythological depth scoring.
Faceoffs aren't really my biggest concern with having Mojo at center. My concern is that his playmaking has been shall we say less than stellar. Of course if Mojo is permanently moved to the wing, he needs to learn how to finish. This postseason he messed up a ridiculous amount of scoring chances.

Old
06-09-2012, 12:24 AM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robin View Post
Faceoffs aren't really my biggest concern with having Mojo at center. My concern is that his playmaking has been shall we say less than stellar. Of course if Mojo is permanently moved to the wing, he needs to learn how to finish. This postseason he messed up a ridiculous amount of scoring chances.
Radulov is a good play maker.

MoJo can score on those feeds he was missing, IDK what it was, but in the pass he showed he could score on those.

Old
06-09-2012, 06:27 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiKE5889 View Post
However unlike his countryman Ovi, he has not been given a chance of playing consistent hockey with a really skilled centerman a la Backstrom, except for the Caps break-out 2009-2010 season, where he got to play with Fedorov, a season in which he btw was a PPG+ player.
Feds was already gone by then.

Old
06-09-2012, 07:17 AM
fsnoles98

Quote:
Radulov is a good play maker.

MoJo can score on those feeds he was missing, IDK what it was, but in the pass he showed he could score on those.
Why is Radulov needed?? There are other GGOD players besides the one sports writers write about. I would like Suter as much as anyone, but Radulov returns for the playoffs and you jump on the bandwagon as well. Radulov is not needed as long as we fill the gaps with others.

Closed Thread