HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XIII

Closed Thread

Old
06-09-2012, 08:08 AM
MW6

vCash: 500
Re-tool or All-in??

The rebuild the Caps started in 2002, which resulted in 11 1st round picks and 6 2nd round picks during 5 years, resulted this season the 4 "Young Guns" + Schultz (Alzner, Neuvirth also but they were didn't make the team until recently).
If you exclude the top-5 picks (Ovechkin, Backstrom and Alzner) that should be close to sure things, that's 2 1st round bust for 1st round pick that made the team.
And no player drafted in the second round (except Neuvy) during these years has made any real impact on this team. And don't forget the picks wasted on Josh Godfrey (34) and Theo Ruth (46) in 2007 and Anton Gustafsson (21), Eric Mestery (57) and Dmitri Kurgryshev (58) in 2008. Poor drafting to say the least.

On the other hand, a newer younger core is slowly growing on this team. I'm talking about Carlson/Alzner/Johansson/Holtby/Orlov, with Eakin, Galiev and Kuznetsov looking to make an impact on the roster in the next few years. Besides those there's a few second tier prospects in Hamill, Kundratek, Marshall (all aquired via trade this season), Grubauer and Wey that potentially could fill in as a roleplayer. Neither player of this group is on the other hand projected to make as big an impact as some players drafted during the rebuild.

The first group of 7 players has entered their prime and did this season earn 36'588'462$ = ~57% of this seasons capspace.

The second one earned a whopping 5'206'388$ (included Eakin) = ~8% of the capspace. All but one of them (Alzner) still being on their ELC's.

This year the Caps have 2 1st round picks (#11 and #16) and maybe a 2nd round pick.

I think it's fair to call the rebuild a fail at this point considering that lack of success and the few players still remaining compared to other teams starting their rebuild around the same time or later (Pens and Hawks, even Canes and the Ducks had high 1st round picks those years and won it soon after).

Question is do the management keep the core intact, keep trying to find pieces, spending the capmaximum, wasting important years of players on cheaper contracts, trading away draft picks/prospects for players they hope is what's missing for going all the way?

Or do they re-tool and sacrifice some of the stars for younger players with lots of upside, closer in age to the younger group or prospects and high draftpicks and maybe lower the expectations for 2-3 years until claiming it's Cup or bust again (a lot like what the Flyers did last summer), hopefully richer with experience and knowledge from making mistakes the last time?

Which way do you prefer and why? Who should be kept and who would do this franchise better by bringing back pieces in a re-tool?

Last edited by MW6: 06-09-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old
06-09-2012, 08:49 AM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsnoles98 View Post
Why is Radulov needed?? There are other GGOD players besides the one sports writers write about. I would like Suter as much as anyone, but Radulov returns for the playoffs and you jump on the bandwagon as well. Radulov is not needed as long as we fill the gaps with others.
Did you see our roster in the playoffs? Laich as 1C, Beagle as 3C, Aucoin playing and on the PP, Chimera a leading goal scorer, Perreault playing top 6 most of the year... There's not enough high end skill on this team and Radulov, if nothing else, brings that. The Caps need more top 6 forwards, especially skilled ones.

Old
06-09-2012, 09:29 AM
fsnoles98

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishMeatballs1990 View Post
Did you see our roster in the playoffs? Laich as 1C, Beagle as 3C, Aucoin playing and on the PP, Chimera a leading goal scorer, Perreault playing top 6 most of the year... There's not enough high end skill on this team and Radulov, if nothing else, brings that. The Caps need more top 6 forwards, especially skilled ones.
Everyone here knows GMGM and his unwillingness to spend, Radulov would be nice, but not at the price of over spending for him. I liked the addition of TB, but I think we over spent on Ward's one year wonder in Nashville. I would like to see GMGM bring in quality without over spending. We have had the same problems now with this team the past several years and that is a quality physical Dman and a legitimate #2 C. I think this can be done with players that are not high media spotlight players like Radulov. Our cupboard is bare is Hershey. I think we are in a give and take year for spending and the draft, just not in agreement with Radulov and might he might costs and the issues he might bring.

Old
06-09-2012, 09:59 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
Everyone here knows GMGM and his unwillingness to spend, Radulov would be nice, but not at the price of over spending for him. I liked the addition of TB, but I think we over spent on Ward's one year wonder in Nashville. I would like to see GMGM bring in quality without over spending. We have had the same problems now with this team the past several years and that is a quality physical Dman and a legitimate #2 C. I think this can be done with players that are not high media spotlight players like Radulov. Our cupboard is bare is Hershey. I think we are in a give and take year for spending and the draft, just not in agreement with Radulov and might he might costs and the issues he might bring.
The whole point of getting Radulov is he should be very underpriced for a player of his caliber.

A legitimate 2C IF a team is offering one will go for far far more.

Old
06-09-2012, 10:37 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

I think we need "all-in", but not desperate all-in. What do I mean?
Trade up at the draft. Get a top-7 player who will help us sooner than 3 years from now.
Bring in some solid players at all positions (excluing the goalie), preferrably on the one-year deals. Spend at the cap.

Old
06-09-2012, 10:39 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Why is Radulov needed?? There are other GGOD players besides the one sports writers write about. I would like Suter as much as anyone, but Radulov returns for the playoffs and you jump on the bandwagon as well. Radulov is not needed as long as we fill the gaps with others.
The thing about Radulov is that he'll just refuse to play for about 75% of the teams, as I understand the whole situation, and the Caps are on those 25%, I believe.

Old
06-09-2012, 10:45 AM
bonzaibondra12

Radulov got suspended for late night partying. Does OV curb that attitude, or join in?

That's the only reason I see not to go after Rads. He'd be cheap, and has skill.

Old
06-09-2012, 10:46 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzaibondra12 View Post
Radulov got suspended for late night partying.
When did that happen?

Old
06-09-2012, 10:48 AM
bonzaibondra12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
When did that happen?
Isn't that what happened in the playoffs? Or was I misinformed by the media?

Old
06-09-2012, 10:49 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
Isn't that what happened in the playoffs? Or was I misinformed by the media?
If you are talking about his game 3 suspension against Phoenix it was established that him and Kostitsyn were late back from dinner by 1 hour.

Old
06-09-2012, 10:51 AM
bonzaibondra12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
If you are talking about his game 3 suspension against Phoenix it was established that him and Kostitsyn were late back from dinner by 1 hour.
Then I guess the answer was yes. Kind of blown out of proportion by Nashville then isn't it?

Oh well, I'm ok with getting Rads if Semin isn't coming back.

Old
06-09-2012, 10:56 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
Then I guess the answer was yes. Kind of blown out of proportion by Nashville then isn't it?

Oh well, I'm ok with getting Rads if Semin isn't coming back.
Seems to me they did a "hockey the hard way" type pivot to take all the attention from their whole team sucking balls in the series and put it all on two players that have been everyone's whipping boys forever while getting some credit as a stand-up organization on the side.

Wonder if Weber gets suspended from getting back late from dinner. Or slamming another player's head into the boards twice. Honestly if you're a stand up no nonsense organization the second one seems a bit more objectionable.

I get people being uneasy about Ovechkin, Radulov and Semin being on the same team but we still need good 2nd line players even if we get Radulov. Laich-Johansson-Brouwer as a scoring line gets you absolutely nowhere these days.

Old
06-09-2012, 11:03 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Radulov got suspended for late night partying. Does OV curb that attitude, or join in?

That's the only reason I see not to go after Rads. He'd be cheap, and has skill.
Spearing his coach isn't a reason not to go after him?

If people think Semin is addition by subtraction or a lock room cancer, Radulov will be 10x worse.

Old
06-09-2012, 11:13 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post

If people think Semin is addition by subtraction or a lock room cancer, Radulov will be 10x worse.
When did he spear his coach?

I guess Malhotra should be kicked out of the league since he shot Julien with the puck last year in the finals.

Old
06-09-2012, 11:32 AM
um

Quote:
with who? realistically without breaking the bank who?

Old
06-09-2012, 12:08 PM
bonzaibondra12

Quote:

Too bad Boudreau isn't the coach now. Rads could spear him in the stomache and yell woohoo after.

Old
06-09-2012, 12:20 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
with who? realistically without breaking the bank who?
Why is breaking the bank a concern?

Old
06-09-2012, 12:26 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:

Hahaha... Spearing??
He was unhappy with himself. He didn't know the goalie coach was standing behind him. He tried to hit the glass with his stick, and accidentally hit the coach.
Yeah, I believe that was Jordan Leopold who injured Lindy Ruff. He should be suspended forever now.

Old
06-09-2012, 01:01 PM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
well id like to make the playoffs for the next few years

Old
06-09-2012, 01:14 PM
bonzaibondra12

Quote:
Looks at UFAs. Sees Dustin Penner. That's why.

Old
06-09-2012, 01:24 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
well id like to make the playoffs for the next few years
Feel free to be more specific about who a $7 million signing would cause us to lose. The cap is what next year, somewhere between $64 and $72 (not sure if it's been finalized). And we're dropping $13.5 in Semin, Knuble, Halpern and Wideman.

Old
06-09-2012, 01:53 PM
bonzaibondra12

Quote:
Feel free to be more specific about who a $7 million signing would cause us to lose. The cap is what next year, somewhere between $64 and $72 (not sure if it's been finalized). And we're dropping $13.5 in Semin, Knuble, Halpern and Wideman.
No one, but only Parise will be worth a big contract. You really think he'd come here? I bet it's slim chances.

Old
06-09-2012, 02:10 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
IDK where to put this, but people are literally putting Kopitar as high as top 5 or top 10 at least best play making center in the league, Backstrom not top 10...

"What have you done for me lately?"

Old
06-09-2012, 02:14 PM
fsnoles98

Quote:
I did not know that we publicly came up and said we were dropping Wideman?? When did this happen? No way we drop Wideman and keep Schultz, not happening.

Old
06-09-2012, 02:15 PM
fsnoles98

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
The thing about Radulov is that he'll just refuse to play for about 75% of the teams, as I understand the whole situation, and the Caps are on those 25%, I believe.
And where is this posted or is this your rumor? Heard nothing of the sort.

Closed Thread