HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Offseason Trades & FA Acquisitions Thread PART II

Closed Thread

Old
06-06-2012, 05:40 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 50
2012 Offseason Trades & FA Acquisitions Thread PART II

Part I Link:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1151521

Continue on...

06-06-2012, 06:33 PM
Marshal Rochambeau
New Jersey HC

vCash: 500
Kuba, a veteran on the verge of sucking? Welcome to the Island.

Old
06-06-2012, 07:09 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redarmynative View Post
Kuba, a veteran on the verge of sucking? Welcome to the Island.
According to Sens fans,he was their #3 d-man this season.

He played over 23 mins a game and was a +26 on a playoff team.
Last season he was a -26.

I'm not suggesting signing him to a 2-3 yr deal at his age.I'm saying sign him to a 1 yr deal,allowing either De Haan or Donovan to break into the league on the 3rd pairing.
Below are comments from the Sens gm, at the trade deadline.

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nhl/734/filip-kuba
Ottawa GM Bryan Murray isn't likely to part with pending unrestricted free agent Filip Kuba prior to the NHL trade deadline on Feb. 27.
"I think he's one of our best defensemen, if not the steadiest guy at this point and time," Murray said. "He's played penalty killing, power play, has been Erik Karlsson's partner, plays a lot of minutes, has great respect on the team, I'm not sure why his name has ever come but at this time . . . unless I got something awfully, awfully good, it wouldn't do us any service to not keep him here." Kuba had an awful year in 2010-11, but he has rebounded well this season with 22 points and a plus-18 rating in 52 contests. The Senators may still allow him to walk away in the summer though in order to further the development of their younger players.

Last edited by CREW99AW: 06-06-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old
06-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Marshal Rochambeau
New Jersey HC

Being Karlsson's partner says a lot. He was on the ice for a lot of goals but he probably had to deal with a lot of the defensive load on his own. Seeing that comparison he would probably be a great partner for Streit.

Old
06-06-2012, 09:40 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Being Karlsson's partner says a lot. He was on the ice for a lot of goals but he probably had to deal with a lot of the defensive load on his own. Seeing that comparison he would probably be a great partner for Streit.
it MIGHT say a lot that he was karlsson's partner. it is DEFINITELY very interesting that you would discuss kuba shouldering the defensive load...he was actually given the LEAST amount of defensive zone start time out of all senator d-men. i would say that is a very dubious honour considering he played more than 20 minutes per night. i think THAT says a lot!

Old
06-06-2012, 09:59 PM
Marshal Rochambeau
New Jersey HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
it MIGHT say a lot that he was karlsson's partner. it is DEFINITELY very interesting that you would discuss kuba shouldering the defensive load...he was actually given the LEAST amount of defensive zone start time out of all senator d-men. i would say that is a very dubious honour considering he played more than 20 minutes per night. i think THAT says a lot!
Well the GM said that he was the most steady defenseman on the team. The other defenseman are Karlsson (Norris Nominee, who admittedly got it mostly for his offense and probably won't win), Phillips (Who is probably the most consistent guy other than Lidstrom), Gonchar, Cowen, Gilroy, and Carkner. I would trust an informed Senators fan on this one unless anyone here has actually seen him play.

Old
06-06-2012, 10:11 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Well the GM said that he was the most steady defenseman on the team. The other defenseman are Karlsson (Norris Nominee, who admittedly got it mostly for his offense and probably won't win), Phillips (Who is probably the most consistent guy other than Lidstrom), Gonchar, Cowen, Gilroy, and Carkner. I would trust an informed Senators fan on this one unless anyone here has actually seen him play.
the stats don't lie...fans of hockey teams do. look at the player usage charts to see for yourself. i think the fact that his coach would rather start any other d-man on the team in the defensive zone other than him says a great deal.

Old
06-06-2012, 10:18 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Redarmynative,my thinking was along the same lines when I read he'd been paired with Karlsson.Karlsson is great offensively,but at times shaky in his own end of the ice.I think he'd need a very solid partner.

Karlsson is reportedly looking for a Drew Doughty type deal this summer.This big hit to the payroll, is probably the reason the Sens gm wants Kuba at a paycut or for one of the team's cheap rookies to take Kuba's spot.

Old
06-06-2012, 10:44 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
the stats don't lie...fans of hockey teams do. look at the player usage charts to see for yourself. i think the fact that his coach would rather start any other d-man on the team in the defensive zone other than him says a great deal.
Or it could be that he was paired with a dman the coach didn't trust.

Considering that Kuba played more minutes short handed than any other dman on the Sens by a pretty wide margin I think the coach trusted him in his own zone.

Old
06-07-2012, 12:00 AM
A Pointed Stick
W.W.J.C.D?

vCash: 250
That the concept of Kuba coming here warrants serious debate really bums me out. He is on his last legs and about ready to go down hard.

We deserve better than this.

Old
06-07-2012, 05:19 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
That the concept of Kuba coming here warrants serious debate really bums me out. He is on his last legs and about ready to go down hard.

We deserve better than this.
I'd be surprised if 36 yr old Kuba is at the top of Snow's wishlist.I think it was Botta who says they want a 28-32 yr old.It was Newsday that reported they were eying Oduya for a top 4 role.

However,Kuba is coming off a very strong 2011-2012 season and I think if it wasn't for the megacontract that Karlsson is going to get,he'd be headed back to the Sens next season.

Old
06-07-2012, 07:46 AM
seafoam

Is Schultz considering teams like Edmonton? If yes, we have a chance to sign him IMO. We can offer him a max ELC and top four minutes, maybe even on the top pairing with Streit. The only puzzling thing is I would think Anaheim would have offered a max ELC and top four minutes as well, so why would he turn them down? It's not like he's stuck in Winnipeg, it's California. Anyway, I think if we have the chance to draft Murray, we will. I think Garth knows this is his chance to add the #1 ranked defenseman in a draft class (something he has never had the chance to do), and a potential top four defenseman as well. As far as Suter, yes throw a boatload of cash at him, and Parise too. But we all know Wang will not spend above the cap floor.

Old
06-07-2012, 07:55 AM
rikker
fan since '75.

what about Kuba on a 1 year deal? entice him by agreeing to shop him at the deadline to a contender. hopefully, he'd work his tail off for us, and at worse, we only have him for 1 year...

i am not a big fan of him, but at this point, we are beggars...

Old
06-07-2012, 07:59 AM
rikker
fan since '75.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
Is Schultz considering teams like Edmonton? If yes, we have a chance to sign him IMO. We can offer him a max ELC and top four minutes, maybe even on the top pairing with Streit. The only puzzling thing is I would think Anaheim would have offered a max ELC and top four minutes as well, so why would he turn them down? It's not like he's stuck in Winnipeg, it's California. Anyway, I think if we have the chance to draft Murray, we will. I think Garth knows this is his chance to add the #1 ranked defenseman in a draft class (something he has never had the chance to do), and a potential top four defenseman as well. As far as Suter, yes throw a boatload of cash at him, and Parise too. But we all know Wang will not spend above the cap floor.
what's wrong with Winnipeg? i will confess that it gets to about -189 in deep winter, but in the summer, it's tree is beautiful!

Old
06-07-2012, 08:22 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikker View Post
what's wrong with Winnipeg? i will confess that it gets to about -189 in deep winter, but in the summer, it's tree is beautiful!
OMG Mosquitoes as big as your fist. No thankee.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Old
06-07-2012, 08:41 AM
seafoam

Quote:
Just using that as an example because that is one market the some players do not want to play in.

Old
06-07-2012, 08:45 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Yea all 4 days of it

Old
06-07-2012, 09:11 AM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I'd be surprised if 36 yr old Kuba is at the top of Snow's wishlist.I think it was Botta who says they want a 28-32 yr old.It was Newsday that reported they were eying Oduya for a top 4 role.

However,Kuba is coming off a very strong 2011-2012 season and I think if it wasn't for the megacontract that Karlsson is going to get,he'd be headed back to the Sens next season.
I really think you take these statsment too much to heart and as truth way to often. We all know that Snow and company are extremely tight lipped (and assed). We also know that Snow loves to play games with other teams by using the media as a tool in his favor. I think you can take the essence of the message that Snow is indeed looking for a middle aged Vet defencemen looking for a increase in minute/responsiblities but not any farther.

This is similar to the statements that there will not be any major moves this offseason. You need to take that as he has no intentions for selling off players on the team. However it would be folley to think that if Snow had an oportunity to make the right kind of deal for this team he would not do it because he said a couple months ago that he would do no major deals. We have to imgaine he will do his due diligence about finding UFAs.

As far as Not spending, They are going to have to spend some money. They HAVE to make the cap floor.

Old
06-07-2012, 09:25 AM
bluechipbonzo

Kuba had a nice bounce-back year with the Sens and would be more than serviceable.

Certainly an improvement Jurcina, and a one year deal wouldn't be so bad- most will be pleasantly surprised in fact.

And for all those poo-pooing the idea, just watch when he signs elsewhere...

Old
06-07-2012, 12:17 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
Yes, but Edmonton is close to home for him.

Old
06-07-2012, 12:36 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Height View Post
Yes, but Edmonton is close to home for him.
I really think that's one of the lesser factors in when a FA looks to sign somewhere (even more so with a guy like Schultz who's sign an ELC). Who cares if you'll be close to home? Are you going to live with your parents? Sure, it's a little more comfortable but at this point a grown man should be ready to live somewhat far away from home, especially a professional athlete.

Old
06-07-2012, 12:43 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
I really think that's one of the lesser factors in when a FA looks to sign somewhere (even more so with a guy like Schultz who's sign an ELC). Who cares if you'll be close to home? Are you going to live with your parents? Sure, it's a little more comfortable but at this point a grown man should be ready to live somewhat far away from home, especially a professional athlete.
The fact that Schultz is ****ing over the team that drafted him shows that maybe his values differ from your typical professional.

Old
06-07-2012, 12:46 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Come on now guys, put yourself in his shoes.

You have the choice to sign with any NHL team, are you really going to pick the Isles? Especially when every team is offering the same amount of money.

Old
06-07-2012, 12:54 PM
seafoam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Height View Post
Come on now guys, put yourself in his shoes.

You have the choice to sign with any NHL team, are you really going to pick the Isles? Especially when every team is offering the same amount of money.
*Cough* John Tavares *Cough*

Old
06-07-2012, 01:27 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

Chris Botta via Sulia;
Quote:
For the #Isles the departure of Trevor Gillies to the KHL and possible exit of Micheal Haley is not even a little bit of a deal. Gillies was a loyal combatant for the NYI and they treated him better than any of his numerous previous employers. Gillies is a good man, so I wish he and his family well. Time will tell on Haley, who was disappointed over his perception of not getting a fair shot with the NYI last season. Gillies and Haley are replaceable. It's up to the NYI to decide whether they need to be replaced. That's all.

Closed Thread