HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Question on the situation of Crosby

Closed Thread

Old
12-22-2004, 11:03 PM
JJ68NYR

vCash: 500
Question on the situation of Crosby

Now I keep reading that there are NHL teams thinking about signing him. Now is this even possible??? If it is why hasn't Sather signed him already??? We cleared so much space for our salary that he could easily be added and then you have Crosby and JJ together which would just be INSANE! Anyways really puzzled about this, we need Crosby to turn this franchise around, this is one of the original 6 and the original 6 organizations should all be good organizations. We are heading in that direction along with Chicago BUT we need a young guy who will be our franchise player for years to come.

This also brings me to another question, who do you think needs Crosby the most?

Old
12-22-2004, 11:36 PM
Firefly

Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ68NYR
This also brings me to another question, who do you think needs Crosby the most?
A plausible argument can be made (and has been) that Crosby as a blueshirt would be good for NHL hockey in general, exposure-wise.

Old
12-23-2004, 12:03 AM
BigE

As a Canadian (and that allegiance comes first) I'm a little hesistant to see Crosby grab a blueshirt. He's dealt with pressure all of his life and is extremely good at it but I have a feeling that the Rangers Organization might rush him, and toy with his confidence (with Sather it's certainly not unthinkable).

I'd love to see him play in Calgary.

As for the good for hockey thing, yes...maybe good for hockey in the States but there would be a whole lot of pissed off people if he went to the Rangers. Lets not ignore the fact that New York is probably not very high on his list.

Old
12-23-2004, 12:55 AM
Grimrock Alberta

Because the N.H.L is shut down........No player can be signed. The draft will be held until the league is operating again. Crosby is untouchable right now.

Old
12-23-2004, 01:12 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE
As a Canadian (and that allegiance comes first) I'm a little hesistant to see Crosby grab a blueshirt. He's dealt with pressure all of his life and is extremely good at it but I have a feeling that the Rangers Organization might rush him, and toy with his confidence (with Sather it's certainly not unthinkable).

As for the good for hockey thing, yes...maybe good for hockey in the States but there would be a whole lot of pissed off people if he went to the Rangers. Lets not ignore the fact that New York is probably not very high on his list.

Just to play devils advocate...

i dont see any possible way the Rangers can rush a young kid at this point. The team is rebuilding, so there will be no pressure on him to carry the team in any fashion. The only pressure on him will be to live up to his "Gretzky" type expectations.

If he plays in Calgary, he'll almost be hidden. The NHL has a hard enough time as it is marketing Jerome Iginla.

Why wouldn't he want to come to NY? NY is in a rebuilding mode, NY is the "Greatest" city in the world, NY would be the biggest stage for the kid. He seems like the perfect fit for NY. Its not like he would be stepping into a disaster. Hopefully, the Ranger organization is past that whole debacle.

Old
12-23-2004, 06:35 AM
Barnaby

I really don't see the NHL allowing him to be a free agent, BUT there would be advantages for him in a blue shirt.

1. More marketing oppportunities. Crosby in a potentially huge NY market could make millions...

2. Being young and rich in NY is awfully exciting as opposed to say EDM, Calgary, etc...

With that said I don't think he'd particularly choose NY, but their certainly are advantages.

Old
12-23-2004, 07:36 AM
Boilers*

I suppose every person from every team could make a case that their team needs Crosby. In my opinion though Edmonton has been stripped of more talent than anyone else save for the Islanders. Being a farm club for the richer teams for the past 10 years hasn't been easy for their fans to watch. Same goes for Pittsburg though.

Old
12-23-2004, 07:54 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Crosby may be a bit over rated

Quote:
Now I keep reading that there are NHL teams thinking about signing him. Now is this even possible??? If it is why hasn't Sather signed him already??? We cleared so much space for our salary that he could easily be added and then you have Crosby and JJ together which would just be INSANE! Anyways really puzzled about this, we need Crosby to turn this franchise around, this is one of the original 6 and the original 6 organizations should all be good organizations. We are heading in that direction along with Chicago BUT we need a young guy who will be our franchise player for years to come.

If you look at what some of the experts on other boards say his size should be a major deterrent, after all he is only 1 inch taller than Dawes and many of the same experts say that Dawes won't make it because of his size despite putting up back to back 40+ goals and having another stellar season this year.

Old
12-23-2004, 08:20 AM
Bacchus

Quote:
If it is why hasn't Sather signed him already???
Even if he could, it is not just a matter of Sather wanting to sign him, but of Crosby wanting to sign with the Rangers.

Isn't Crosby a Habs fan?

Old
12-23-2004, 09:53 AM
Fletch

he's only an inch taller than Dawes...

but he's only about an inch shorter than Sakic. I think what goes along with size is style of play. Crosby's supposed to be very talented. Handles the puck great, passes great, sees the ice great, etc. If I remember correctly, Dawes palys a bit of a grinding speed game, which works in the WHL for a guy his size. In the NHL, it may be a different story. What works for some guys at lower levels doesn't always translate to the NHL. Unfortunately I've seen neither play so I'm going off second and third hand information, but that's all I got.

Old
12-23-2004, 09:54 AM
Fletch

Bloodsport...

I think the Isles traded most of theri young talent away, as opposed to be stripped, a la Edmonton and PITT.

Old
12-23-2004, 10:35 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
If you look at what some of the experts on other boards say his size should be a major deterrent, after all he is only 1 inch taller than Dawes and many of the same experts say that Dawes won't make it because of his size despite putting up back to back 40+ goals and having another stellar season this year.
But Crosby is a tremendous skater, Dawes is IMO only "avg".(Agile but not the best breakaway speed). Sidney is extremly shifty, with tremendous low gravity stride and balance. I am always skeptical when people are called "the next XXXX" because generally there are so much development left for a hockeyplayer when he is 18. If Crosby is gooing to become the best in the game he have to develop allot. But I belive that he is a surefire top15 scorer, no way he becomes the next Daigle.

However in the NHL today there are no safe players, three-four concussion and he could be history. This would also be the only concern if you rush him, skill wise he could probably have stept in at the age of 16. But he needs to grow in to the game so that he learns how to protect himself, I wouldn´t want to see him learn the hard way...

Old
12-23-2004, 12:16 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

I'm just busting chops on some of the experts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
But Crosby is a tremendous skater, Dawes is IMO only "avg".(Agile but not the best breakaway speed). Sidney is extremly shifty, with tremendous low gravity stride and balance. I am always skeptical when people are called "the next XXXX" because generally there are so much development left for a hockeyplayer when he is 18. If Crosby is gooing to become the best in the game he have to develop allot. But I belive that he is a surefire top15 scorer, no way he becomes the next Daigle.

However in the NHL today there are no safe players, three-four concussion and he could be history. This would also be the only concern if you rush him, skill wise he could probably have stept in at the age of 16. But he needs to grow in to the game so that he learns how to protect himself, I wouldn´t want to see him learn the hard way...

from some of the other local ny teams. The players that are good that don't have size are their's, or so they say!

Old
12-23-2004, 08:21 PM
NYR469

Quote:

people have talked about the possibility of the 2005 draft class being declared free agents if there is no draft but right now they are no different then any pre-draft players (ie they can't be signed)...

if the draft doesn't take place in june (and it can't happen if there is a new cba), crosby or other players could take the league to court and try to get declared a free agent...

and i got a feeling that if that happens it won't be crosby but a lesser prospect who will challenge it and if he wins it will apply to everyone (just a gutfeeling, i've got nothing to support this)...

this is one option to handle the draft but imo the least likely and something the league would only do if forced by court

Old
12-23-2004, 08:32 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE

crosby would laugh at the 'pressure' of NYC...right now in canada, if he takes a leak, tsn cuts away from the current program to let people know that he just took a leak...in nyc he'd be able to walk down the street and not be bothered.

he would face a LOT more pressure playing in canada, especially if he were to end up in montreal or toronto...

he'd still face the pressure on the ice, but off the ice he could live a normal life playing in nyc...and he thrives off the pressure and has no problem handling it

as far as rushing him...i don't think that you can 'rush' a kid that is already nhl-ready before he is drafted. obviously fans/media can't be stupid enough to expect him to carry the team as a 18 year old and would have to be patient, but he'll step in as a 18 year old no matter where he is...

in a way, the rangers might be one of the better situations for him to step in as a 18 year old. with good teams that expect to make the playoffs, there would be immediate demand for results, with the rangers it wouldn't matter if he struggled...but at the same time on most rebuilding teams, he would become the focal point of that rebuilding time, whereas in ny he would have jagr to take the spotlight away. i can't say that it would be the best situation, but it wouldn't be a bad situation either and right now is probably a better situation then any other team in ranger history for it

Old
12-23-2004, 08:34 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
from some of the other local ny teams. The players that are good that don't have size are their's, or so they say!
why are you so obessed with what devil fans think of ranger prospects?? who cares if they underrate our guys??

if i say that lundqvist is a career minor leaguer or i say that lundqvist is the next brodeur, does that change how good lundqvist really is?? no...

if you feel they are being unfair then just wait for our guys to prove them wrong...

Old
12-23-2004, 08:43 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Regardless where he goes, there will be 29 extremely jealous and pissed off teams and fan bases in the NHL.

Old
12-24-2004, 02:36 AM
JJ68NYR

See, I do not know how fans of Calgary or any other contending team could say they need him. Their playoff teams! They dont need Crosby because they arent rebuilding. Sure any contending team would want Crosby or would love to have him BUT do they really NEED him??? And I mean really NEED him. Our Rangers organization as went through soo much pain, being made fun by other teams fans and even the hockey anaylists, we always traded our youth away, we havent made the playoffs in 7yrs, plus we were always acquiring tons of superstars that werent coming and doing the job, and then you feel teased as a fan when you see the lineup Sather puts out their and they dont win. Really when you had a lineup with JJ AND Kovy you should be the top 3 in the conference. Plus you had Rucinsky and Holik. You had the average ones in Nedved and Messier. You have Brian Leetch. Its just been soo painful too watch every year and come maybe 3 or 4 points shy of the last spot. Up until this past season that is.

Another point is, is that why should a playoff team from last year or a team that would be contending deserve Crosby when they wouldnt be getting the 1st pick overall??? Crosby would be going to our Rangers, maybe the Pens, Caps, etc. The low teams. The teams that have a great shot at the number one pick.

And if he gets to be a Free Agent, with all the money we cleared out, wouldnt we have plenty for a nice fat contract for Crosby???

And I dont buy this crap that he would choose a Canadian team because he is Canadian. Some of the greatest player have played in a Rangers uni including The Great One himself. Messier, Leetch, Bure, Kovy, the Maloney brothers, and now JJ. I know I could name more but I just wanna finish the post. Plus if he is being offered more money by Sather than what he is being offered other places why would he choose to play somewhere else for less?

Old
12-24-2004, 11:29 AM
NYR469

Quote:
And if he gets to be a Free Agent, with all the money we cleared out, wouldnt we have plenty for a nice fat contract for Crosby???
his first contract would be limited by the entry level contract...so for his first 3-4 years in the league he would get exactly the same offer from all 30 teams

Old
12-24-2004, 11:38 AM
AG9NK35DT8*

As I see everyone including myself wants Crosby in a NYR uniform. And everyone is making every excuse and unrealistic reason for him to come here but thats not most likely how it will go, and if Im wrong I will admit it ofcourse. Yeah it would be good for the NHL for him to come to a high market team but why NYR. Dallas, Det, Tor, Philly and plenty of other teams could use him. NYR is not the only high market team out there.Also why would he be better off on a large market team rather than a team that is poor and has no money.A player of Crosby's caliber would be great to small time teams to help more fans watch and go to games.

He (Crosby)will go to the worst team of the season when the draft comes and those teams will be NYR, WASH,CAR or CMBS and possibly PHX. So there is a 20% chance of him coming to NY so thats good enough for me.

Old
12-24-2004, 03:35 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG9NK35DT8
He (Crosby)will go to the worst team of the season when the draft comes and those teams will be NYR, WASH,CAR or CMBS and possibly PHX. So there is a 20% chance of him coming to NY so thats good enough for me.
not if there is no season...if the season is canceled they will probably use last years standings

Old
12-24-2004, 05:27 PM
BigE

I could see Crosby going to 15-20 different teams before I could see him coming to New York.

This may come as a shock to some but most non-Americans would not consider New York as the 'greatest city in the world' or as the most attractive place to play.

As for the kid getting rushed, it's very plausible. All one needs to do is point at Glen Sather...that man will always find a way. Whether it's giving the kid too much ice time, or playing those ridiculous mind games or just not letting him play enough.

I'm extremely hesistant to see him in a Rangers uni.

Old
12-25-2004, 07:27 AM
jratelle19

Quote:
right now in canada, if he takes a leak, tsn cuts away from the current program to let people know that he just took a leak...in nyc he'd be able to walk down the street and not be bothered.
Right on the money. Go practically anywhere in Canada and ask people on the street if they know who Sidney Crosby is, and you'll get an alarming number of people who already know all about him. Try that in New York and you'll most likely get a reaction like: "Didn't he play the priest in The Bells of St. Mary's?"

Hockey is only a cult sport in New York. Diehards like myself are a rarity. In Canada it's a religion. I streamline the FAN590 Toronto's broadcast from their website, because New York sports radio talks baseball 24/7 (which I hate) and what few blurbs you get on hockey are so vanilla and superficial, it drives you nuts. Whenever I have called in to WFAN in NY to talk hockey, it seems the radio host would let me do all the talking, because he really had nothing of substance to add. If I had called with a baseball comment, I probably wouldn't have been able to get a word in edgewise.

So please, for the love of God, stop with this foolish "The NY market would put too much pressure on the kid". Bulls**t! If anything, playing for one of the Canadian teams, would have reporters up his ass day and night, as if it weren't like that already in Canada!

If Crosby, say, starts his career with Edmonton and puts up incredible numbers and lights the NHL on fire and THEN comes to New York (via trade or what have you), then New Yorkers would know who he is and the expectations would be high and the media pressure would be on. If he started as a Ranger, nobody would have a clue (except diehard Ranger fans of course) who he is and he would be able to develop in peace.

Just an FYI, just before the Rangers played Vancouver in Game 1 for the Cup 10 years ago, I was shocked to see how many New Yorkers became hockey fans for 2 weeks. These were the same people who had never heard of Pavel Bure at the time, who had just had back to back 60-goal seasons. Tells you something.

Old
12-25-2004, 09:02 AM
AG9NK35DT8*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
not if there is no season...if the season is canceled they will probably use last years standings
Well if that would be the situation then they just miught do a whole new lottery and NYR would be out of it cause they are the 6th team to pick,unless they did the ten worst teams then NYR has a little bit of a shot.They were the 6th pick right or were they 5 I dont remeber

Closed Thread