HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Yandle for Staal Rumour (via Eklund)

Old
06-06-2012, 10:59 PM
Llewzaher

vCash: 500
Yandle for Staal Rumour (via Eklund)

Yandle and 2012 2nd RD and 2013 3rd RD for Jordan Staal

http://www.foxsportsarizona.com/06/0...50&feedID=3702

Edit: bad Typing spelled Staal wrong , not sure how to change title..

Anyway not sure if anyone heard this or not

Llewzaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:04 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Owner or no owner, I will start flip my lid if Yandle is traded for him. The only way I want Keith to be in Pittsburgh is if Malkin comes the other way. That won't happen either.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:08 PM
hbk

well i believe this sort of deal was debated at the trade deadline by a few of us who were speculating that the emergence of OEL might make the $5 million + Keith Yandle expendable as early as this summer.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:09 PM
Muppet
Howlin' For You

I'd throw a chair through GMDM's office window if he traded Yandle for Staal.

Last edited by Muppet: 06-06-2012 at 11:16 PM.
Muppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:16 PM
hbk

Staal for Yandle makes sense from our side. It all depends on what you think the upside of Staal to be. Let's face it though with the continued development of OEL and the insertion of Rundblad and Gormely into the equation as early as next season is going to take minutes away from Yandle (especially on the PP). Yandle's stats may take a hit and he may hover at that 40-50 point range instead of hitting the 60-70 point range that is his upside.

Old
06-06-2012, 11:17 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

No way Stall has only 1 year before UFA and Yandle has 4 more seasons locked at $5m. You would need to send picks back with stall or better yet #4 !

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:19 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

The only thing I can think of why this rumor was made is because Pittsburgh's D is crap and others in the hockey world know Yandle and Z pair very well. I can deal with a rumor of Z for our 2012 1st round pick better than this.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:23 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTippett View Post
No way Stall has only 1 year before UFA and Yandle has 4 more seasons locked at $5m. You would need to send picks back with stall or better yet #4 !
I guess it depends then on the ownership question. Keep in mind we are going to have a harder time making the cap floor once Whitney and Doan retire or leave this team. The ability to re-sign a player like Staal won't be an issue of money. Yandle's salary really is the money that would go to pay OEL in a year or so.

Old
06-06-2012, 11:27 PM
hbk

Eklund has the 3rd pick in 2013 and conditional on a Staal re-signing with Phoenix. Also a Pits prospect would be included. Just to toss a name out there I would say Tangredi who hasn't delivered in his opportunities he's been provided but might be a better fit in Phoenix.

Old
06-06-2012, 11:29 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Eklund you say? Yeah, there's no truth to this.

Why would we even think about trading Yandle? The guy is a stud, and LOVES playing for Phoenix.

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:30 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Someone needs to tell craig Morgan that eklund is full of ****

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:34 PM
hbk

It's Eklund so I hear what you are saying.

One thing you have to remember though is Maloney came from the Islanders and Bill Tory's system of building a team.

1) Goal
2) Defense
3) Center
4) Wingers

Maloney has accomplished steps 1&2 and completed a slight upgrade with the addition of Vermette. We still lack that true #1 Centerman and at the 27th pick we are not going to find it in the draft this year. At that pick we are drafting 3rd liners with 2nd line potential.

Old
06-06-2012, 11:43 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
I guess it depends then on the ownership question. Keep in mind we are going to have a harder time making the cap floor once Whitney and Doan retire or leave this team. The ability to re-sign a player like Staal won't be an issue of money. Yandle's salary really is the money that would go to pay OEL in a year or so.
Then why not just sign JStaal as a UFA after next season without giving up Yandle in exchange?

I understand a trade involving those two players may make sense on based on the respective teams' offense/defense needs. But the gap in years remaining till UFA is for them is too big for me to like a trade proposal with Yandle and Staal as the primary assets.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:45 PM
RemoAZ
Stugots

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
Then why not just sign JStaal as a UFA after next season without giving up Yandle in exchange?

I understand a trade involving those two players may make sense on based on the respective teams' offense/defense needs. But the gap in years remaining till UFA is for them is too big for me to like a trade proposal with Yandle and Staal as the primary assets.
I think a new contract for Staal would have to be part of the deal. He'd be the highest paid player on our team. The Pens are already paying Crosby and Malkin a boat load of cash.

RemoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:58 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoAZ View Post
I think a new contract for Staal would have to be part of the deal. He'd be the highest paid player on our team. The Pens are already paying Crosby and Malkin a boat load of cash.
How often is a young elite player under contract with one year remaining till their first UFA opportunity traded and signs an extension as part of the deal? It just doesn't happen in the NHL. I'm struggling to think of an example where a player was traded in a similar situation and signed an extension.

Old
06-07-2012, 12:17 AM
Llewzaher

Oh its Eklund ?

Maloney is usually pretty lipped about everything .. Was there many trades Maloney has done that anyone was able to break before it happened ?

Also like others have mentioned , I would think the pick would be coming our way , with the amount of years left one the player's contracts ..

Also a bonus is Yandle actually wants to play here

Llewzaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:23 AM
Mork

Send a message via ICQ to Mork
Quote:
How often is a young elite player under contract with one year remaining till their first UFA opportunity traded and signs an extension as part of the deal? It just doesn't happen in the NHL. I'm struggling to think of an example where a player was traded in a similar situation and signed an extension.
Phil Kessel for Tyler Seguin and crew when the Bruins robbed the Leafs.

Mind you, Kessel's entry-level deal had expired and he was already a RFA, but Burkie's misplaced sense of honour prevented him from just doing an offer sheet without offering the Bruins more than he got in Anaheim when Edmonton signed Penner. In any event, that was a rare occurence of the new team inking the traded player to a post-entry-level contract. Most do just re-up and stay put, if that's what you mean

BTW, it's a lot easier to load up on defence than it is to acquire a young front-line centre. I don't know Yandle's game, nor if Staal is the answer, but if Staal is what some people think he is I'd do that deal in a heartbeat.

Mork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:27 AM
Redcoyote
Hungry

Id love this if it was for eric staal...though wed need to give up a little more.

for jordan I wouldnt want to give up the extra picks.

Jordan is a very good center. He brings size, plays good defense and scores. I think he would fit in our system well. With the injuries to crosby and malkin he has gotten a lot of time as the number two center (which isnt bad when its crosby or malkin at one)

Boedker-Staal-Doan
Whitney-Hanzal-Vrbata
Pyatt-Vermette-Korpi
Torres-Gordon-Chip

OEL-Klesla
Schlemko-Morris
Gormley/Summers-Aucoin

Summers/Gormley, Stone

You could always sign another depth defenseman if needed but I like that roster. Speed, size, great center depth, gormley or summers would be the only inexperienced Dman if they resigned Aucoin. Wed still have Smith too. I love Yandle and dont want to give him away but its a business too and sometimes you have to do things you dont want to get where you need to be.

Redcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:05 AM
BUX7PHX

Quote:
Not sure if I am going to provide an example that creayes a fair argument, but what happened with Bryzgalov last year, when he was an UFA?

Not saying Bryz is young, or the situation surrounding the trade rumors is similar (Bryz clearly wanted a deal that we couldn't pay, whereas Staal is a player with explosive talent ahead of him on the roster).

We have so much depth defensively, it is ridiulous. I will venture to say that we have 11 defensemen (including those who are hitting UFA) who are capable of being in any NHL teams top 6. We have the opportunity to reach a deal with Aucoin, Rozsival, or another UFA D-man for giving up a great talent, yes, but one that has players who are just as old, and are ready to log more minutes (in OEL's case, younger and a better all-around player). No other player on the team will return the value of a player like Staal (or insert other elite name).

Depending on the return, I am for exploring these types of trades...

BUX7PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:09 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Desert Ranger

Bad rumor or not, there is no way I trade Yandle who has a higher career single season point total than the guy who would be coming back as a forward. I'm sure Staal will continue to get better but Yandle is clearly the better player now and might always be.

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:41 AM
BUX7PHX

The only piece that concerns me is where Staal is on the PP, and how much can he help us there. He is a big body, and when looking at his numbers on the PP, they are not incredibly strong. However, he has also been a good PKer for the Pens, and when you have Crosby and Malkin ahead of you, you are not going to be as effective as possible on the PP, much less get a lot of time. Even with the injuries that Crosby and Malkin have had, his numbers don't suggest that he would be poised to have a breakout year. Although having that centerman means that Gordon and either Staal or Hanzal can be used out there - incredibly important if one or the other is in the box.

I am brightening up to the idea of Staal, but am not 100% sold...

BUX7PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:57 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

I'm looking for a player in a similar situation to Jordan Staal that signed an extension as a condition of the trade. My criteria is:

- Player was currently under contract with 1 year remaining when traded.
- After the player's current contract expires he would become a UFA for the first time.*
- Player signs an extension as part of the trade. Thus forgoing his UFA opportunity.

*The reason I emphasize first UFA chance is because I believe some older players have probably been traded with a year remaining on their current deals and signed an extension. They've been through the UFA market before and already gotten their best paydays. Often when they're traded they have more influence on the destination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mork View Post
Phil Kessel for Tyler Seguin and crew when the Bruins robbed the Leafs.

Mind you, Kessel's entry-level deal had expired and he was already a RFA, but Burkie's misplaced sense of honour prevented him from just doing an offer sheet without offering the Bruins more than he got in Anaheim when Edmonton signed Penner. In any event, that was a rare occurence of the new team inking the traded player to a post-entry-level contract. Most do just re-up and stay put, if that's what you mean
Kessel wasn't under contact when traded, nor was he anywhere close to UFA status. If his Leafs deal expired after this season he would still be a RFA for 2012-2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUX7PHX View Post
Not sure if I am going to provide an example that creayes a fair argument, but what happened with Bryzgalov last year, when he was an UFA?

Not saying Bryz is young, or the situation surrounding the trade rumors is similar (Bryz clearly wanted a deal that we couldn't pay, whereas Staal is a player with explosive talent ahead of him on the roster).
Bryz was already about to become an UFA in weeks, the Coyotes just got some extra benefits by trading his rights before July 1st. A more comparable situation to what I'm looking for would have been if the Yotes traded Bryz in the summer of 2010 with a year remaining on his contract to a team where he had to sign an extension as a condition of the trade.

Old
06-07-2012, 05:19 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Eklund is a ****ing idiot, DM is not going to trade Yandle away and thankfully so. The team dynamic on and off the ice would change dramatically and NOT in a good way. I'd love for them to land Staal but not at the price of Yandle, no way no how!

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 07:05 AM
hbk

Quote:
I'm looking for a player in a similar situation to Jordan Staal that signed an extension as a condition of the trade. My criteria is:

- Player was currently under contract with 1 year remaining when traded.
- After the player's current contract expires he would become a UFA for the first time.*
- Player signs an extension as part of the trade. Thus forgoing his UFA opportunity.

*The reason I emphasize first UFA chance is because I believe some older players have probably been traded with a year remaining on their current deals and signed an extension. They've been through the UFA market before and already gotten their best paydays. Often when they're traded they have more influence on the destination.

Kessel wasn't under contact when traded, nor was he anywhere close to UFA status. If his Leafs deal expired after this season he would still be a RFA for 2012-2013.

Bryz was already about to become an UFA in weeks, the Coyotes just got some extra benefits by trading his rights before July 1st. A more comparable situation to what I'm looking for would have been if the Yotes traded Bryz in the summer of 2010 with a year remaining on his contract to a team where he had to sign an extension as a condition of the trade.
Wayne Gretzky to the Kings back in 88.

I get where you are coming from though. Truth is most teams lock up their young top players for an extended period but with Crosby and Malkin already in the picture the Pens may be reluctant to sign for the type of term that Staal would be looking for.

Old
06-07-2012, 08:21 AM
RemoAZ
Stugots

Money talks. I don't care if it was done before or not. If we offer him a good contract, he signs it. He's had some injuries the last couple years and hasn't played full seasons. Maybe the idea of a long contract (like a 10 year deal) appeals to him since he's been hurt. Either way, I don't make the deal unless we at least have already agreed on the frame work of an extension. It would be too risky to give up a player like Yandle without that. Then the ownership needs to bring in a top line FA and make one other trade or signing and we finally have a top line.

As for his PP stats, don't forget he's not on their first PP unit. Crosby and Malkin play together on their first PP unit. He had 25 goals and 25 assists in 62 games last year and is excellent defensively. We'd finally have a center with top line talent and just imagine the headaches teams would get having their top centers play against Staal and Hanzal 1-2. It's not like Gordon would be a cake walk on defense when you get done with those two.

RemoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote