HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Contract extension talks for Sidney Crosby are on.

Old
06-07-2012, 11:42 AM
discobob

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
the same way he did the first time around?
He didnt' give them a sweetheart deal. It expires with him in his prime, and he has a chance for another huge deal. His next deal, to be equivalent with the last one will be 12.2mil per, anyone hoping for something different is seeing the world through homer glasses...

discobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:43 AM
SERE 24
LGR

I know most players are not as altruistic as I like to think I would be, but if I was Sidney, with all the money I've already banked from my previous contract + endorsements, I think I might actually WANT to sign for less than my current cap hit and give my team more cap space to, for example, keep Staalsie without being in an uncomfortable situation, or add the pieces we deem necessary to get us back to the Cup. Unless he's been irresponsible with his money, he is beyond set for life, and even if he was broke, if he signed a 10 year deal for 6.5M per year, it's not like that wouldn't instantly make him set for life. I know... people never leave money on the table, blah, blah. I just think the kid has to be so loaded that the difference between 10 years 9M a year and 10 years 7M a year is worth sacrificing in order to win more.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:44 AM
roboninja
EYG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setting up the play View Post
delusional pens fans thinking he is going to cut them a deal. he's going to end up with a ~10M/yr cap hit...
He did not do it the last time, why would he now? Seems like people's hatred of Crosby is clouding their memory.

roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:44 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
He didnt' give them a sweetheart deal. It expires with him in his prime, and he has a chance for another huge deal. His next deal, to be equivalent with the last one will be 12.2mil per, anyone hoping for something different is seeing the world through homer glasses...
I guess we will found out soon

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:48 AM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

Quote:
don't know where you're getting your numbers but theyre wrong.

Last deal accounted for 15.3% of the 56.7 million dollar cap. The equivalent of that to 68 mil (or anywhere around there, which is the rumor) is 10.4 million per year.

That sounds like a reasonable number that he would take to me, as well.

DoctrSteveBrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:48 AM
wholesickcrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
I know most players are not as altruistic as I like to think I would be, but if I was Sidney, with all the money I've already banked from my previous contract + endorsements, I think I might actually WANT to sign for less than my current cap hit and give my team more cap space to, for example, keep Staalsie without being in an uncomfortable situation, or add the pieces we deem necessary to get us back to the Cup. Unless he's been irresponsible with his money, he is beyond set for life, and even if he was broke, if he signed a 10 year deal for 6.5M per year, it's not like that wouldn't instantly make him set for life. I know... people never leave money on the table, blah, blah. I just think the kid has to be so loaded that the difference between 10 years 9M a year and 10 years 7M a year is worth sacrificing in order to win more.
Agreed. People talk about how he should act in his interest and take money, but it's also in his interest to win. And he can easily do both.

wholesickcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:49 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 1948
87M over 8 years because he loves the number 87.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:51 AM
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate

Quote:
Hahaha.. You honestly think he is going to take 12.2 mil per on this next deal? Not a chance he hamstrings the Pens like that, not a chance.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski: 06-07-2012 at 01:08 PM. Reason: personal shot
Mo Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:54 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Wanchuk View Post
Hahaha.. You honestly think he is going to take 12.2 mil per on this next deal? Not a chance he hamstrings the Pens like that, not a chance.
This I definitely agree with. I doubt he'll give them a true discount like I proposed, but I don't see him going above the 8.7-9.5M range (and I'd be surprised if he went up past 8.7). I think Sid is one of those genuine individuals who cares about the team he's on and wants to win. He definitely won't take a 12M cap hit and hamstring his team. He may not have the most interesting or engaging personality, but he does seem genuine and humble. I can't see him doing that.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski: 06-07-2012 at 01:08 PM. Reason: qep
SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:55 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
87M over 8 years because he loves the number 87.
10 years 87 million. Make it 8.7 per year

Signs deal on August 7th @ 8:07 AM

Old
06-07-2012, 11:57 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
This I definitely agree with. I doubt he'll give them a true discount like I proposed, but I don't see him going above the 8.7-9.5M range (and I'd be surprised if he went up past 8.7). I think Sid is one of those genuine individuals who cares about the team he's on and wants to win. He definitely won't take a 12M cap hit and hamstring his team. He may not have the most interesting or engaging personality, but he does seem genuine and humble. I can't see him doing that.
Agreed. Sid isn't going to screw up the salary cap for his team that way. Sid wants to win a lot more than getting an extra million. He can get that on sponsors or commercials and let the team breath a little working with a bit more money to build the best possible team

Anyways that's my opinion, we should soon find out

Old
06-07-2012, 12:06 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Crosby can't just take a huge discount. He'll be facing a lot of pressure from Fehr and the Player's Association since his contract will more or less be the standard measuring stick for superstars signing new contracts.

Tasty Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:10 PM
puckmelongtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post
Crosby can't just take a huge discount. He'll be facing a lot of pressure from Fehr and the Player's Association since his contract will more or less be the standard measuring stick for superstars signing new contracts.
Very true.
But no matter what he signs for there will be people saying "if he really cared about his team he wouldn't be so selfish and take a pay cut"

puckmelongtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:12 PM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

Thl NHLPA is going to keep a close eye on him but they have no real control over what he signs for. They want him to go big but Fehr isn't in the negotiation room and has no control over what Crosby does.

Like previously mentioned, the PA was upset he took a discount last time. Did he learn his lesson? Or is he just going to do the same thing this time around because he obviously doesn't care that much?

DoctrSteveBrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:17 PM
Xelstyle

Sid won't take a discount from what he's getting paid now nor will he aim for a crazy sum for his team's sake. It's all about term and when they want to sign as little details.

Still want him to go to FA just for the sake of it.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:18 PM
laufer72
Ashburton Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post
Even if he resigns for the same money, he'll still have second biggest cap hit in the league. I don't think he'll go over $10 mils. per year.

laufer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:21 PM
MalcontentCapsFan

$73m/12yrs

Crosby takes a paycut so they can lock up Malkin and Staal by forcing them to take a comparable salary. Besides, I'm sure Crosby would like them to be able to afford a winger or two for him. Its not like he doesn't have a ton of money from Reebok and his other deals.

MalcontentCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Bonesy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctrSteveBrule View Post
Thl NHLPA is going to keep a close eye on him but they have no real control over what he signs for. They want him to go big but Fehr isn't in the negotiation room and has no control over what Crosby does.

Like previously mentioned, the PA was upset he took a discount last time. Did he learn his lesson? Or is he just going to do the same thing this time around because he obviously doesn't care that much?
one contract is not going to make the world of difference for the PA though, and personally I do not think that Crosby cares too much.

The only thing that I see as a problem is predicting what the cap will do moving forward. Crosby at 25 is ready to get paid, and with his health problems it can probably be reasonably assumed that the better part of his career will be before he is 35. In order to compensate him for taking the cut, the penguins would likely be more than willing to compensate him until he is 38 or 39. This way when he is likely not worth the 9ish mil that he is making he will be getting compensated for the previous seasons.

Bonesy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:48 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Selke BylsmAdams

vCash: 80
Sid's a really superstitious guy, so I wouldn't bet against him keeping his current $8.7 million annual salary. It'll probably be the length of the deal that will be in question.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:53 PM

$878,787 per year for 87 years

3074326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:57 PM
WolfgangAmadeusEller

The Habs can pick him up for free if he waits another season.

WolfgangAmadeusEller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:01 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

He's going to get massive pressure from the NHLPA so he wont be taking a cut any time soon.

I bet he signs a two year contract for the same money again. I doubt the penguins want to commit an absurd length just incase he takes another hit to the nogin.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:01 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Since the Penguins decided to have 18,087 seats at the Consol Energy Center because Crsoby wears #87, I am sure they won't have any problems getting a new contract done.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:09 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

4 pages and none of this?

Rare Jewel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:15 PM
MalcontentCapsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
He's going to get massive pressure from the NHLPA so he wont be taking a cut any time soon.

I bet he signs a two year contract for the same money again. I doubt the penguins want to commit an absurd length just incase he takes another hit to the nogin.
That's what they make insurance for.

MalcontentCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote