HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

John Davidson interviews with CBJ

Old
06-07-2012, 10:32 AM
RDriesenUD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Would such an investment in the front office sway Nash to rethink his position on being traded?
Maybe, but I still want to trade Nash. It is time to move on and start a new era IMO.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:35 AM
alphafox

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
Maybe, but I still want to trade Nash. It is time to move on and start a new era IMO.
True. I think its not fair to either party. Nash has given a ton to this organization and deserves a chance to go win a championship. And we need to rebuild this team from square 1.

alphafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:35 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
Or... would such an investment move out Nash as part of a complete (or big) rebuild. That's what happened in St. Louis. They took their lumps but have put together some serious young talent. I don't see Davidson sticking with the status quo (ie. try to make minor changes for a playoff team)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Doubtful. My thinking is that if it would entail a big shakeup/restructuring of management, it would be to ensure whats happened the last twelve years doesn't happen the next twelve. The poor drafting, development, scouting etc.

I think the Nash ship is about to set sail for good folks, no turning back.
I agree with both of you.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:37 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
I'll go so far as to say that everything being done is being done with a eye towards next season and beyond. The team isn't counting on Nash next season nor are they trying to "woo" him back with these moves.

They are (hopefully) attempting an Organizational makeover, the Nash Era is gone.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:40 AM
Socks
HeadFake

I am cautiously hopeful. This would be a great addition. But I'm not going to be excited til the dude signs on the dotted line.

Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:44 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinSock View Post
I am cautiously hopeful. This would be a great addition. But I'm not going to be excited til the dude signs on the dotted line.
This would be a huge get, indeed. I think the fact that he's interviewed says that he's at least interested. Lets hope current brass doesn't screw it up by making any sort of initial offer well below expectations.

DSL is right. Any kind of Front Office move with Davidson coming aboard will be preceded by a fundamental shift at the current top of the organization.

Old
06-07-2012, 10:45 AM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Tough Nuts View Post
Anyone want to elaborate or take a guess as to what this "NHL source" is getting at when he says "No way John Davidson joins the Blue Jackets and trades Rick Nash a week later"

per Porty's twitter
sounds like something Rimer would say

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:54 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

As a founding member of the "doom and gloom society" of this board I feel obligated to now bring this thread back to earth....

Could Davidson be potentially leveraging leaving for a divisional rival against the Blues to ensure his return to St. Louis?

from the article in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Davidson told the Post-Dispatch last month that his future included one of four options: staying with the Blues, going to another organization, returning to broadcasting or retiring.

"We'll just feel our way through it and figure out what we're going to do," Davidson said.

He is weighing those options because new Blues owner Tom Stillman hasn't indicated yet whether the club is willing to keep Davidson in his current role as club president on a contract that has three years remaining at approximately $6 million.

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hocke...#ixzz1x7iEr44o

Old
06-07-2012, 11:01 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphafox View Post
Agreed. I think if Howson stays Nash goes.
My guess - even if Davidson comes, Howson stays.

Quote:
As a founding member of the "doom and gloom society" of this board I feel obligated to now bring this thread back to earth....

Could Davidson be potentially leveraging leaving for a divisional rival against the Blues to ensure his return to St. Louis?

from the article in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Davidson told the Post-Dispatch last month that his future included one of four options: staying with the Blues, going to another organization, returning to broadcasting or retiring.

"We'll just feel our way through it and figure out what we're going to do," Davidson said.

He is weighing those options because new Blues owner Tom Stillman hasn't indicated yet whether the club is willing to keep Davidson in his current role as club president on a contract that has three years remaining at approximately $6 million.

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hocke...#ixzz1x7iEr44o
Simple answer to your question is "yes". But I don't think anyone was thinking it might not be possible even without being reminded of this.

Old
06-07-2012, 11:15 AM
NovaScotiaCBJ

On the St. Louis boards they seem to think that Davidson is on the way out and that his price tag is the reason. Owner Stillman is looking to cut some costs. I'm hoping that we just assume Davidsons contract. Place him in a pure hockey role. Leave the other business type decisions to Priest.

NovaScotiaCBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:17 AM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
Puck Daddy weighs in:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...medium=twitter

DJAnimosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:26 AM
Roadman
Moving On

A couple of observations.

The simple fact that he interviewed is encouraging. Where it goes from here we will just have to wait and see. I do not believe that this is any kind of perfunctory or leveraging move, but a definite measure of interest on both sides. Too much for either side to loose for either to be "playing".

Secondly I find it interesting that AP reports the information came from "HNL sources", not from the Jackets front office. We found out, not we have been told by the Jackets. I still think there is some bit of a rift there. GMDM couldn't wait to put out information, present admin seems to lock it up. Good or Bad, don't know, just an observation.

Finally, and this may be a bit far afield. Could he be looking at a broadcasting opportunity? That was one of the options...

Probably the least likely but a possibility.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:35 AM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

Quote:
This would be a huge get, indeed. I think the fact that he's interviewed says that he's at least interested. Lets hope current brass doesn't screw it up by making any sort of initial offer well below expectations.
That says it all, current brass screwing it up!! Priest will probably want to give Davidson a PI test before he's hired!

There they go again, getting the fans some hope, only to shoot us down in a ball of flaming fire!! I refuse to get excited about this until I see "Davidson Signed"!!

Paisano* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:40 AM
EDM

I start from the premise that MacJr. is an idiot. Harsh? Yeah, I know. But starting from that premise, I join the "believe it when I see it group".

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:55 AM
BluejacketNut

He's a start for what this organization needs

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:11 PM
Roadman
Moving On

How in any way, shape, or form can this be a negative for the Jackets?

When it was announced he was considering options, all we heard was why isn't this being explored? Well, guess what, it has been.

We hire a 12 year, blue collar, hard working, NHL former captain to help mentor prospects and complaints go up about his experience.

I swear to God there are some that couldn't or wouldn't see the Sun from the bright side of Mercury.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:15 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post

When it was announced he was considering options, all we heard was why isn't this being explored? Well, guess what, it has been.

We hire a 12 year, blue collar, hard working, NHL former captain to help mentor prospects and complaints go up about his experience.

I swear to God there are some that couldn't or wouldn't see the Sun from the bright side of Mercury.
Even if Davidson doesn't end up in Columbus, it still adds credibility...to even interview him shows that the franchise is serious about upgrading everywhere possible rather than standing pat.

Love that last phrase, by the way.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:15 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Good that we're at least giving it a try. Dunno if it'll get anywhere, but more hockey knowledge at this point would be wonderful, and it shows we're taking some of these upgrades seriously without necessarily throwing folks to the wolves. I like.

My sole concern with this is that if he doesn't take a job here, we can look forward to several weeks of whining about the organization. I think I may take a break if that happens.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:21 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:

I was going to answer this question with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
My sole concern with this is that if he doesn't take a job here, we can look forward to several weeks of whining about the organization. I think I may take a break if that happens.
but then Viqsi did.

I plan to change me answer/approach each time something new in this story comes out. That way, I will eventually be right.

Report: JD is available and smart orgs should be looking at him.
Me: CBJ probably won't even look at him. Buncha dunces.
Report: CBJ met with JD.
Me: Probably won't get him. Buncha dunces.

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:31 PM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

Quote:

When the sun comes out, we'll see it! So far it's pretty overcast!

Paisano* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:40 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Maybe we're all wrong and they're just looking to replace Mike Todd with this guy:

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:02 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
Maybe we're all wrong and they're just looking to replace Mike Todd with this guy:

Do we also get Cathy Lee Crosby and Fran Tarkenton?

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:11 PM
evengodlovesthecbj

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post

I started to say that's awesome but I really want to say "That's Incredible"!

evengodlovesthecbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:14 PM
Cyclones Rock

Davidson has a 30 day window to weigh possible other opportunities.

He's like any savvy businessman. He's just keeping his toe in the water with respect to the job market. He might be using it as leverage with the new St. Louis ownership.

On the very odd chance that something materializes with the Jackets, Craig Patrick's tenure would probably draw to a quick close and Howson would be on life support, or, in the best case scenario, be a very bad memory very quickly.

I can't envision Davidson leaving unless he is very unhappy with something within the Blues organization. The Blues will possibly contend for it all next season with a little offensive help while the Blue Jackets aren't close to being in a similar situation.

Maybe he wants to see if he can trade Elliot for Mason and Umberger

The big question I have is: "What kind of tree is John Davidson?"

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:18 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

We're this to happen, I wonder if he would be prohibited from involvement in the CBJ draft process because he's most likely been deeply engaged in the Blues draft preparations?

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote