HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

John Davidson interviews with CBJ

Old
06-07-2012, 08:45 PM
TBJF
Brick by Ga-borik

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TBJF Send a message via Yahoo to TBJF
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarelaces View Post
I know the potential goalie choices has dwindled but this is ridiculous. Davidson is way too old.
Emile "The Cat" Francis?

I won't hold my breath waiting for this to happen. But, man, this would change some things. Probably enough to rekindle some of my badly diminished optimism. *fingers crossed*

TBJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 08:55 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
That was a positive post?

Damn, but we've gotten jaded here.
I was thinking EXACTLY the same thing. My post was the classic backhanded compliment!

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 09:09 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeGentle View Post
Patrick is 66..... Davidson is 59...
But Patrick had a division named after him once upon a time. I give him the edge.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 09:11 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
But Patrick had a division named after him once upon a time. I give him the edge.
And Davidson has his own university in Pennsylvania. And let's not forget his motorcycle riding grandfather Harley!

Old
06-07-2012, 09:14 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
I was thinking EXACTLY the same thing. My post was the classic backhanded compliment!
You para sail around as John Kerry and all those Blah's out there.... take a stand and defend it!!!!

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 09:15 PM
EspenK

Quote:
And Davidson has his own university in Pennsylvania. And let's not forget his motorcycle riding grandfather Harley!
I know of John's college in NC hadn't heard of the one in PA. if there one there too -edge to Davidson.

However I offer March 17th on Craig's behalf.

I promise to get back on topic.

Old
06-07-2012, 09:16 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
You para sail around as John Kerry and all those Blah's out there.... take a stand and defend it!!!!
That's a pretty good slogan for 2013 CBJ! With the improved blueline and hopefully an upgrade in goal, Carry the Flag could be replaced with Stand and Defend!

Old
06-07-2012, 09:21 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
THat's a pretty good slogan for 2013 CBJ! With the improved defense and hopefully an upgrade in goal, Carry the Flag could be replaced with Stand and Defend!
Agree, but the flag for my boys would be "Stand Your Ground!"..... Sort of like "Don't Give Up the Ship" as made famous on Lake Erie in 1813.

Edit: In saying that the often out spoken poster by the name of Viqsi does exactly that, wrong as she is at times that person would be my first pick to defend my picket line...

Last edited by Robert: 06-07-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 09:26 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
I know of John's college in NC hadn't heard of the one in PA. if there one there too -edge to Davidson.

However I offer March 17th on Craig's behalf.

I promise to get back on topic.
I stand corrected.

Old
06-07-2012, 11:23 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaScotiaCBJ View Post
On the St. Louis boards they seem to think that Davidson is on the way out and that his price tag is the reason. Owner Stillman is looking to cut some costs. I'm hoping that we just assume Davidsons contract. Place him in a pure hockey role. Leave the other business type decisions to Priest.
Blues fan here! Jackets fan too......

Admittedly, I did not read the entire thread, but stopped at the first post that succinctly summed up the situation.

There's an outside chance that JD remains with the St. Louis Blues, but, like Scotia wrote, the Blues finances are whacked and must be corrected.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 07:05 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
That's a pretty good slogan for 2013 CBJ! With the improved blueline and hopefully an upgrade in goal, Carry the Flag could be replaced with Stand and Defend!
I prefer "Just Win, Dammit"

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 07:42 AM
squarelaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Thank you for making me laugh after sifting through all that depressing dreck from our emofans. You get a cookie.
Thank you. It is perfect timing. I just deleted mine.

squarelaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 07:48 AM
Milltec

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
Blues fan here! Jackets fan too......

Admittedly, I did not read the entire thread, but stopped at the first post that succinctly summed up the situation.

There's an outside chance that JD remains with the St. Louis Blues, but, like Scotia wrote, the Blues finances are whacked and must be corrected.
Is there any general feel among the fanbase that he is on the out?

Milltec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 07:55 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarelaces View Post
Thank you. It is perfect timing. I just deleted mine.
As they say "Well Played, Sir"

Old
06-08-2012, 07:58 AM
Speedy Sanderson

If the Jackets do hire Davidson, I hope it's done ASAP. Give him as much time as possible in advance of the draft to figure out strategy. The Jackets cannot afford to screw up the Nash trade/non-trade, so get a good hockey mind in here with some time to figure out the best course of action.

I think this guy would be worth every bit of the $2 million we would pay him - from what I can gather, he's a good ambassador for the game, so that can only help with trying to sell the team to the fans. More fans, more money, so the $2 million investment could be paid back in multiples if Davidson can get this team out of the hole.

Speedy Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 08:00 AM
ernmorris

STL article on JD:
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hocke...99c7cbac9.html

Dispatch article from todays paper:
http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...executive.html

I haven't had time to read either yet so there may not be anything new there, but just thought I would post for the group.

ernmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 08:04 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Went over to the STL board to see what they have to say and it would appear that the majority seem to think he is on his way out. Primarily as a cost cutting measure.

Kind of thank you very much for the job you did but the new owner wants to pare the overhead.

What a fortunate opportunity for the CBJ. Lets hope the fit is right and he wants to take on the challenge. After opening up the checkbook to make the effort last year and having that fail, I hope that the wisdom of this expenditure would be apparent. Gotta think that if they were interviewing him they were already aware of the financial commitment it was going to take. Don't think it's about the money on this end.

It's almost too good to be even possible. Perhaps this is the Hockey Gods paying us back for the awful jobbing at the Draft Lottery. They do owe us at least one.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 08:13 AM
Stretch Factor

I'm not sure if JD would be considered RFA or UFA, but he'd be the most important Free Agent acquisition this franchise has ever had IMO. The thing I love about JD is he brings a little bit of the best of both DMac and Howson. He has a great public persona and is not afraid to pull the trigger like DM, but he's not a cowboy either. He's also calculated and smart like Howson, but he's not a wus. I hate to ruin him already by comparing him to DM/SH, but that's the frame of reference I have. I think he'd be the best of both worlds. I also love the instant credibility he'd bring to the franchise.

Stretch Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 08:28 AM
Stretch Factor

It will be interesting to see how all this unfolds and if we ever get the behind the scenes story.

Dispatch corporate interests were clearly sending a message to CBJ ownership with the "smart team" comments. I wonder what effect that had if any.

Stretch Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 08:52 AM
Ludicrous Speed

All I can say is this would be the biggest acquisition this franchise has ever had if it happens. Getting Davidson would be an immediate step in the right direction.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 09:07 AM
blahblah

This has been a fun little thread. I can't really say I have any expectations on this coming to pass. Then again, I'm amazed the two even talked. Davidson would have to be in demand with some other organizations as well. Maybe our geographical proximity to St. Louis would be attractive.

With the total disaster of the 2011-12 season and the constant "What can go wrong did" situations with the franchise, that continued right on with losing the draft lottery, it's almost too good to be true that something would fall in line like this for us. You almost begin to forget Letestu, Nikitin, and JJ in midst of all the disasters that has befallen this franchise or, at least, you are waiting for the other shoe to drop. You know, kind of like Vermette doing well until his signed his new contract.

The acquisition of Davidson could continue the process towards becoming a respected franchise. The one that started with a small step in getting Patrick. As I said back in November, this is going to be a very interesting off season.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 09:09 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch Factor View Post
I'm not sure if JD would be considered RFA or UFA,
Neither. Cap causality trade. He's not a FA.

Old
06-08-2012, 09:11 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
As I said back in November, this is going to be a very interesting off season.
Unfortunately, that's when it started.

Old
06-08-2012, 09:22 AM
TBJF
Brick by Ga-borik

Send a message via AIM to TBJF Send a message via Yahoo to TBJF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch Factor View Post
I'm not sure if JD would be considered RFA or UFA, but he'd be the most important Free Agent acquisition this franchise has ever had IMO.
I don't believe management transactions fall under the collective bargaining agreement, do they? He's not not in NHLPA so I would assume it would all be in the specific contracts he has (in StL) and will get (in Cols) if it happens. Perhaps some lawyerly type can correct me if I'm wrong.

But I agree this would seem to be a huge step forward for this franchise.

TBJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 09:28 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Unfortunately, that's when it started.
Bad DSL... Bad.