HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

John Davidson interviews with CBJ

Old
06-08-2012, 04:29 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline

Told nothing is imminent with #CBJ regarding #StLBlues president of hockey operations John Davidson. #CBJ owners set to meet today at 4 p.m.
Obviously, a lot of businesses like to have all of their higher-ups meet at 4 PM on a Friday.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 04:38 PM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650X2 View Post
So this being the last day of of his 30 day window does that mean today or bust?
"The 30 day window will come to a close this week although itís very possible itís extended to allow time for both sides to reach a resolution."

Link: http://www.truehockey.com/articles/Poker-Game

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 05:04 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Obviously, a lot of businesses like to have all of their higher-ups meet at 4 PM on a Friday.
It just happens to be the open tee time at the golf course

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 05:28 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Glover View Post
It just happens to be the open tee time at the golf course
This is why I'd like to hit the lottery and buy into partial ownership of the CBJ.

I'd be like Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack", only more crass and with more of a foul mouth. And I don't even golf, so it would be difficult to justify my ranting. Someone would complain about my excessive profanity and assume that I'm just a terrible player, but in reality it would be because I'd just hit my front teeth with the rim of a beer bottle.

Also, because I'd be putting with an orange ball swiped from Magic Mountain just to mess with everyone else. I wouldn't have any approach shots, I'd just throw the orange ball onto a random spot on the green and then start firing away.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 05:39 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
This is why I'd like to hit the lottery and buy into partial ownership of the CBJ.

I'd be like Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack", only more crass and with more of a foul mouth. And I don't even golf, so it would be difficult to justify my ranting. Someone would complain about my excessive profanity and assume that I'm just a terrible player, but in reality it would be because I'd just hit my front teeth with the rim of a beer bottle.

Also, because I'd be putting with an orange ball swiped from Magic Mountain just to mess with everyone else. I wouldn't have any approach shots, I'd just throw the orange ball onto a random spot on the green and then start firing away.
Just be careful when eating your Baby Ruth candy bar around the pool.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 07:33 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
"But that's a mistake I can correct. Mr. Nimzicki, you're fired."

Would that be the one?
He can't do that!

Yep, good flick.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 07:46 PM
MoeBartoli
Chex-to-Jax

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Not 100 percent sure if it was yet or not, Portzline was asked in a recent chat about it. Fred mentioned it in one of the threads a few weeks ago too.... (The chat was back on May 18th, so apologies if he has, in fact, been signed, sealed and delivered for at least one more season)

12:36:20 Portzline: "Patrick has gotten rave reviews from within the front office. The club sorely needed somebody like him in the hockey operations department, but they can't stop there. They still need a few more guys to align themselves with most clubs in the NHL. Patrick's not likely to go anywhere for at least another year or so. He's happy in his role."
Everyone seems happy with with is participation and he seems happy in his role, but somehow I am unhappy. I think Patrick is a welcome advisor but he is still just that - an advisor. I would like to see him be more because that is clearly needed. Instead Priest and Howson, in one order or the other, still call the shots. I am certain that would come to am end if JD were here, or else he would not come (and sadly, probably won't).

MoeBartoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 07:57 PM
slightlystewpid420

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeBartoli View Post
Everyone seems happy with with is participation and he seems happy in his role, but somehow I am unhappy. I think Patrick is a welcome advisor but he is still just that - an advisor. I would like to see him be more because that is clearly needed. Instead Priest and Howson, in one order or the other, still call the shots. I am certain that would come to am end if JD were here, or else he would not come (and sadly, probably won't).
I still think patrick plays a pretty important role. Hes that voice in the back of howsons head thats always telling him to do this or that. But i think thats where the problem lies, hes just a voice, he has no authority one way or another.

slightlystewpid420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 07:58 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
He can't do that!

Yep, good flick.
Well, he just did.

Yep real good flick.

Huge number of quotables

We're going to have to work on our communication skills.

You're obsessed with the fat lady.

Go go go.... That way.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 08:04 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystewpid420 View Post
I still think patrick plays a pretty important role. Hes that voice in the back of howsons head thats always telling him to do this or that. But i think thats where the problem lies, hes just a voice, he has no authority one way or another.

My reading between the lines says that's the way he (Patrick) wants it.

But it also would seem that Howson is listening.

Old
06-08-2012, 08:54 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
My reading between the lines says that's the way he (Patrick) wants it.

But it also would seem that Howson is listening.
Taking a page from others game plan around here, there is no way anyone here knows exactly what influence Patrick has or what impact he's had on Howson or exactly what he has done or will do in the future... it's all assumption because no one on the Blue Jackets has come out and said "Patrick made that call", or "Patrick overruled that decision". For all we know the Patrick influence is a ruse to appease the fans....

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 09:26 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Taking a page from others game plan around here, there is no way anyone here knows exactly what influence Patrick has or what impact he's had on Howson or exactly what he has done or will do in the future... it's all assumption because no one on the Blue Jackets has come out and said "Patrick made that call", or "Patrick overruled that decision". For all we know the Patrick influence is a ruse to appease the fans....
That is absolutely true, and I have called out many for making the same kind of assumption.

Disclaimer: the aforementioned statement (post #160) is simply my opinion it is my "reading of the tea leaves" it is not presented as a stement of fact.

It does boil down to we are all pretty much just guessing. But it is what we do and we'd be lost if we couldn't. Well at least grumpy.

Old
06-08-2012, 09:32 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
That is absolutely true, and I have called out many for making the same kind of assumption.

Disclaimer: the aforementioned statement (post #160) is simply my opinion it is my "reading of the tea leaves" it is not presented as a stement of fact.

It does boil down to we are all pretty much just guessing. But it is what we do and we'd be lost if we couldn't. Well at least grumpy.

I should have said your post was just one of many I could have used since January for my rant... I've wanted to say what I did for months and you got it done for me! Thanks...

Old
06-08-2012, 09:51 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
I should have said your post was just one of many I could have used since January for my rant... I've wanted to say what I did for months and you got it done for me! Thanks...
We aim to please.....

.........Until we disagree

Old
06-08-2012, 10:10 PM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

So.... he's staying in STL?

CBJWennberg41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 10:44 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
So.... he's staying in STL?
No word, AP will tweet the conclusion once known...

Old
06-08-2012, 11:46 PM
ernmorris

Latest, greatest...

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...ers/index.html

ernmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 12:05 AM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Ok so move along, he's not coming here.

CBJWennberg41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 01:34 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Ok so move along, he's not coming here.
Here's my take:

If this team wants Davidson, it needs to reach into its wallet and reach into its soul and fully commit. Forget dickering over price. Sure, maybe you can get him for less. But, if you are trying to send him a message that you are committed to him and that you are committed to winning, go all in. Offer him more than his salary with the Blues. Make it worth his while to forego other opportunities.

But, equally as important, you better give him full control of hockey ops. Priest's sole job is budgeting and arena issues. Howson is a subordinate and, for that matter, if Davidson wants to bring in his guy, the message best be that he can do so because the whole reason he's even being considered is because the current guy running the show is not capable.

And, if all that still fails, Davidson shouldn't be the end of the conversation. Other options should be considered.

The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. Ownership has taken that step by considering Davidson. The question remains--how committed are they to recovery?

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 02:16 AM
punk_o_holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Here's my take:

If this team wants Davidson, it needs to reach into its wallet and reach into its soul and fully commit. Forget dickering over price. Sure, maybe you can get him for less. But, if you are trying to send him a message that you are committed to him and that you are committed to winning, go all in. Offer him more than his salary with the Blues. Make it worth his while to forego other opportunities.

But, equally as important, you better give him full control of hockey ops. Priest's sole job is budgeting and arena issues. Howson is a subordinate and, for that matter, if Davidson wants to bring in his guy, the message best be that he can do so because the whole reason he's even being considered is because the current guy running the show is not capable.

And, if all that still fails, Davidson shouldn't be the end of the conversation. Other options should be considered.

The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. Ownership has taken that step by considering Davidson. The question remains--how committed are they to recovery?
This could be the hold up. Wasn't it mentioned that they need to figure out if he gets a new contract or if his Blues contract just carries over(3 years 6 mil). Six mil is a lot so I can see ownership trying to change that up while Davidson still wants his $6 mil. Or perhaps he wants more then $6mil on a new contract and Columbus is saying his current contract carries over. In the end, the $6 million might be worth investing in Davidson because like everyone, I think he would help this franchise out. Ownership needs to realize this now though and perhaps they shouldn't have Priest involved. I can see him getting worried about his current job(control that he currently has) and might try to convince(sabotage) ownership to not bother with Davidson.

Last edited by punk_o_holic: 06-09-2012 at 02:21 AM.
punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 08:00 AM
Matt

JD ain't coming, Period. This outfit is too ignorant and cheap to hire a hockey mind.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 08:40 AM
650X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
JD ain't coming, Period. This outfit is too ignorant and cheap to hire a hockey mind.
Which is why they interviewed him?

You people spewing your BS just need to stop.

650X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 09:15 AM
CBJ Bob
It Smells Bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Ignorant- YES; Cheap - No. Their payroll was pretty high last year. The problem is they have no clue on how to spend their $$$.

CBJ Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 09:25 AM
CBJ Bob
It Smells Bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
This could be the hold up. Wasn't it mentioned that they need to figure out if he gets a new contract or if his Blues contract just carries over(3 years 6 mil). Six mil is a lot so I can see ownership trying to change that up while Davidson still wants his $6 mil. Or perhaps he wants more then $6mil on a new contract and Columbus is saying his current contract carries over. In the end, the $6 million might be worth investing in Davidson because like everyone, I think he would help this franchise out. Ownership needs to realize this now though and perhaps they shouldn't have Priest involved. I can see him getting worried about his current job(control that he currently has) and might try to convince(sabotage) ownership to not bother with Davidson.
I ould hope that ownership understands that loosing is more expensive than winning. Hiring Davidson at $1.8m per is less costly to the bottom line than finishing 30th and the effect on ST renewals. The fact that they interviewed him is a vote of no-confidense in Priest/Howson. I think even Priest would admit he has no idea on how to run a pro-sports franchise.

CBJ Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 09:41 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Agree, but the flag for my boys would be "Stand Your Ground!"..... Sort of like "Don't Give Up the Ship" as made famous on Lake Erie in 1813.

Edit: In saying that the often out spoken poster by the name of Viqsi does exactly that, wrong as she is at times that person would be my first pick to defend my picket line...
Grr. Rar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
No thread titled "Fire Davidson" Guess that means we haven't hired him yet.
This is just as preemptively negative as the comments it rails against, but I have to admit, I LOLed.

Quote:
Well, he just did.

Yep real good flick.

Huge number of quotables

We're going to have to work on our communication skills.

You're obsessed with the fat lady.

Go go go.... That way.
Our family's favorite by far from that one:

"I'm not Jewish."
"Nobody's perfect."

As for the actual topic, I urge calm, patience, and restraint.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote