HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

John Davidson interviews with CBJ

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-08-2012, 04:29 PM
  #151
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 15,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline

Told nothing is imminent with #CBJ regarding #StLBlues president of hockey operations John Davidson. #CBJ owners set to meet today at 4 p.m.
Obviously, a lot of businesses like to have all of their higher-ups meet at 4 PM on a Friday.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 04:38 PM
  #152
h22prelude93
Registered User
 
h22prelude93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St.Louis, Mo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650X2 View Post
So this being the last day of of his 30 day window does that mean today or bust?
"The 30 day window will come to a close this week although itís very possible itís extended to allow time for both sides to reach a resolution."

Link: http://www.truehockey.com/articles/Poker-Game

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 05:04 PM
  #153
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners
 
Fred Glover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ohio
Country: Scotland
Posts: 4,167
vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Obviously, a lot of businesses like to have all of their higher-ups meet at 4 PM on a Friday.
It just happens to be the open tee time at the golf course

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 05:28 PM
  #154
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 15,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Glover View Post
It just happens to be the open tee time at the golf course
This is why I'd like to hit the lottery and buy into partial ownership of the CBJ.

I'd be like Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack", only more crass and with more of a foul mouth. And I don't even golf, so it would be difficult to justify my ranting. Someone would complain about my excessive profanity and assume that I'm just a terrible player, but in reality it would be because I'd just hit my front teeth with the rim of a beer bottle.

Also, because I'd be putting with an orange ball swiped from Magic Mountain just to mess with everyone else. I wouldn't have any approach shots, I'd just throw the orange ball onto a random spot on the green and then start firing away.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 05:39 PM
  #155
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,949
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
This is why I'd like to hit the lottery and buy into partial ownership of the CBJ.

I'd be like Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack", only more crass and with more of a foul mouth. And I don't even golf, so it would be difficult to justify my ranting. Someone would complain about my excessive profanity and assume that I'm just a terrible player, but in reality it would be because I'd just hit my front teeth with the rim of a beer bottle.

Also, because I'd be putting with an orange ball swiped from Magic Mountain just to mess with everyone else. I wouldn't have any approach shots, I'd just throw the orange ball onto a random spot on the green and then start firing away.
Just be careful when eating your Baby Ruth candy bar around the pool.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 07:33 PM
  #156
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
"But that's a mistake I can correct. Mr. Nimzicki, you're fired."

Would that be the one?
He can't do that!

Yep, good flick.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 07:46 PM
  #157
MoeBartoli
Chex-to-Jax
 
MoeBartoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Not 100 percent sure if it was yet or not, Portzline was asked in a recent chat about it. Fred mentioned it in one of the threads a few weeks ago too.... (The chat was back on May 18th, so apologies if he has, in fact, been signed, sealed and delivered for at least one more season)

12:36:20 Portzline: "Patrick has gotten rave reviews from within the front office. The club sorely needed somebody like him in the hockey operations department, but they can't stop there. They still need a few more guys to align themselves with most clubs in the NHL. Patrick's not likely to go anywhere for at least another year or so. He's happy in his role."
Everyone seems happy with with is participation and he seems happy in his role, but somehow I am unhappy. I think Patrick is a welcome advisor but he is still just that - an advisor. I would like to see him be more because that is clearly needed. Instead Priest and Howson, in one order or the other, still call the shots. I am certain that would come to am end if JD were here, or else he would not come (and sadly, probably won't).

MoeBartoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 07:57 PM
  #158
slightlystewpid420
Registered User
 
slightlystewpid420's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeBartoli View Post
Everyone seems happy with with is participation and he seems happy in his role, but somehow I am unhappy. I think Patrick is a welcome advisor but he is still just that - an advisor. I would like to see him be more because that is clearly needed. Instead Priest and Howson, in one order or the other, still call the shots. I am certain that would come to am end if JD were here, or else he would not come (and sadly, probably won't).
I still think patrick plays a pretty important role. Hes that voice in the back of howsons head thats always telling him to do this or that. But i think thats where the problem lies, hes just a voice, he has no authority one way or another.

slightlystewpid420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 07:58 PM
  #159
Roadman
Moving On
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: London OH
Country: United States
Posts: 2,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
He can't do that!

Yep, good flick.
Well, he just did.

Yep real good flick.

Huge number of quotables

We're going to have to work on our communication skills.

You're obsessed with the fat lady.

Go go go.... That way.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 08:04 PM
  #160
Roadman
Moving On
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: London OH
Country: United States
Posts: 2,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystewpid420 View Post
I still think patrick plays a pretty important role. Hes that voice in the back of howsons head thats always telling him to do this or that. But i think thats where the problem lies, hes just a voice, he has no authority one way or another.

My reading between the lines says that's the way he (Patrick) wants it.

But it also would seem that Howson is listening.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 08:54 PM
  #161
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,444
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
My reading between the lines says that's the way he (Patrick) wants it.

But it also would seem that Howson is listening.
Taking a page from others game plan around here, there is no way anyone here knows exactly what influence Patrick has or what impact he's had on Howson or exactly what he has done or will do in the future... it's all assumption because no one on the Blue Jackets has come out and said "Patrick made that call", or "Patrick overruled that decision". For all we know the Patrick influence is a ruse to appease the fans....

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 09:26 PM
  #162
Roadman
Moving On
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: London OH
Country: United States
Posts: 2,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Taking a page from others game plan around here, there is no way anyone here knows exactly what influence Patrick has or what impact he's had on Howson or exactly what he has done or will do in the future... it's all assumption because no one on the Blue Jackets has come out and said "Patrick made that call", or "Patrick overruled that decision". For all we know the Patrick influence is a ruse to appease the fans....
That is absolutely true, and I have called out many for making the same kind of assumption.

Disclaimer: the aforementioned statement (post #160) is simply my opinion it is my "reading of the tea leaves" it is not presented as a stement of fact.

It does boil down to we are all pretty much just guessing. But it is what we do and we'd be lost if we couldn't. Well at least grumpy.


Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 09:32 PM
  #163
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,444
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
That is absolutely true, and I have called out many for making the same kind of assumption.

Disclaimer: the aforementioned statement (post #160) is simply my opinion it is my "reading of the tea leaves" it is not presented as a stement of fact.

It does boil down to we are all pretty much just guessing. But it is what we do and we'd be lost if we couldn't. Well at least grumpy.

I should have said your post was just one of many I could have used since January for my rant... I've wanted to say what I did for months and you got it done for me! Thanks...

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 09:51 PM
  #164
Roadman
Moving On
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: London OH
Country: United States
Posts: 2,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I should have said your post was just one of many I could have used since January for my rant... I've wanted to say what I did for months and you got it done for me! Thanks...
We aim to please.....

.........Until we disagree

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 10:10 PM
  #165
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard
 
CBJWennberg41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 13,891
vCash: 500
So.... he's staying in STL?

CBJWennberg41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 10:44 PM
  #166
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,444
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
So.... he's staying in STL?
No word, AP will tweet the conclusion once known...

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:46 PM
  #167
ernmorris
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 215
vCash: 500
Latest, greatest...

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...ers/index.html

ernmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 12:05 AM
  #168
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard
 
CBJWennberg41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 13,891
vCash: 500
Ok so move along, he's not coming here.

CBJWennberg41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 01:34 AM
  #169
CapnCornelius
Registered User
 
CapnCornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Ok so move along, he's not coming here.
Here's my take:

If this team wants Davidson, it needs to reach into its wallet and reach into its soul and fully commit. Forget dickering over price. Sure, maybe you can get him for less. But, if you are trying to send him a message that you are committed to him and that you are committed to winning, go all in. Offer him more than his salary with the Blues. Make it worth his while to forego other opportunities.

But, equally as important, you better give him full control of hockey ops. Priest's sole job is budgeting and arena issues. Howson is a subordinate and, for that matter, if Davidson wants to bring in his guy, the message best be that he can do so because the whole reason he's even being considered is because the current guy running the show is not capable.

And, if all that still fails, Davidson shouldn't be the end of the conversation. Other options should be considered.

The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. Ownership has taken that step by considering Davidson. The question remains--how committed are they to recovery?

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 02:16 AM
  #170
punk_o_holic
 
punk_o_holic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: N. Vancouver, B.C.
Country: Japan
Posts: 6,947
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Here's my take:

If this team wants Davidson, it needs to reach into its wallet and reach into its soul and fully commit. Forget dickering over price. Sure, maybe you can get him for less. But, if you are trying to send him a message that you are committed to him and that you are committed to winning, go all in. Offer him more than his salary with the Blues. Make it worth his while to forego other opportunities.

But, equally as important, you better give him full control of hockey ops. Priest's sole job is budgeting and arena issues. Howson is a subordinate and, for that matter, if Davidson wants to bring in his guy, the message best be that he can do so because the whole reason he's even being considered is because the current guy running the show is not capable.

And, if all that still fails, Davidson shouldn't be the end of the conversation. Other options should be considered.

The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. Ownership has taken that step by considering Davidson. The question remains--how committed are they to recovery?
This could be the hold up. Wasn't it mentioned that they need to figure out if he gets a new contract or if his Blues contract just carries over(3 years 6 mil). Six mil is a lot so I can see ownership trying to change that up while Davidson still wants his $6 mil. Or perhaps he wants more then $6mil on a new contract and Columbus is saying his current contract carries over. In the end, the $6 million might be worth investing in Davidson because like everyone, I think he would help this franchise out. Ownership needs to realize this now though and perhaps they shouldn't have Priest involved. I can see him getting worried about his current job(control that he currently has) and might try to convince(sabotage) ownership to not bother with Davidson.


Last edited by punk_o_holic: 06-09-2012 at 02:21 AM.
punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 08:00 AM
  #171
Matt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,946
vCash: 500
JD ain't coming, Period. This outfit is too ignorant and cheap to hire a hockey mind.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 08:40 AM
  #172
650X2
Registered User
 
650X2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
JD ain't coming, Period. This outfit is too ignorant and cheap to hire a hockey mind.
Which is why they interviewed him?

You people spewing your BS just need to stop.

650X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 09:15 AM
  #173
CBJ Bob
It Smells Bad!
 
CBJ Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: In Hiding
Country: United States
Posts: 876
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
JD ain't coming, Period. This outfit is too ignorant and cheap to hire a hockey mind.
Ignorant- YES; Cheap - No. Their payroll was pretty high last year. The problem is they have no clue on how to spend their $$$.

CBJ Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 09:25 AM
  #174
CBJ Bob
It Smells Bad!
 
CBJ Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: In Hiding
Country: United States
Posts: 876
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
This could be the hold up. Wasn't it mentioned that they need to figure out if he gets a new contract or if his Blues contract just carries over(3 years 6 mil). Six mil is a lot so I can see ownership trying to change that up while Davidson still wants his $6 mil. Or perhaps he wants more then $6mil on a new contract and Columbus is saying his current contract carries over. In the end, the $6 million might be worth investing in Davidson because like everyone, I think he would help this franchise out. Ownership needs to realize this now though and perhaps they shouldn't have Priest involved. I can see him getting worried about his current job(control that he currently has) and might try to convince(sabotage) ownership to not bother with Davidson.
I ould hope that ownership understands that loosing is more expensive than winning. Hiring Davidson at $1.8m per is less costly to the bottom line than finishing 30th and the effect on ST renewals. The fact that they interviewed him is a vote of no-confidense in Priest/Howson. I think even Priest would admit he has no idea on how to run a pro-sports franchise.

CBJ Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 09:41 AM
  #175
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 21,051
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Agree, but the flag for my boys would be "Stand Your Ground!"..... Sort of like "Don't Give Up the Ship" as made famous on Lake Erie in 1813.

Edit: In saying that the often out spoken poster by the name of Viqsi does exactly that, wrong as she is at times that person would be my first pick to defend my picket line...
Grr. Rar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
No thread titled "Fire Davidson" Guess that means we haven't hired him yet.
This is just as preemptively negative as the comments it rails against, but I have to admit, I LOLed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
Well, he just did.

Yep real good flick.

Huge number of quotables

We're going to have to work on our communication skills.

You're obsessed with the fat lady.

Go go go.... That way.
Our family's favorite by far from that one:

"I'm not Jewish."
"Nobody's perfect."




As for the actual topic, I urge calm, patience, and restraint.

__________________
Remember - when you're a hockey fan, it's not "reckless driving", it's "good forechecking".
"Viqsi, you are our sweet humanist..." --mt-svk on the CBJ boards

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:24 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.